Strawberries and cream in a pie!
As with nearly all Wheat Belly snack and dessert recipes, you could get away with eating a slice or two of this pie as a meal, given its dense nutrient content and lack of problem ingredients.
- 1½ cups pecan, walnut, or almond meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Sweetener equivalent to ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups water
- 1 packet gelatin (approximately 2½ teaspoons)
- Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup ice
- To make crust, in medium-sized bowl combine nut meal, cinnamon, salt and mix. Thoroughly mix in butter and egg.
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate and transfer dough into plate. Spread by hand or large spoon, including up the sides. If dough is too sticky or thin to work, refrigerate for 20 minutes and try again. Set aside.
- With electric mixer, whip cream cheese, sour cream, sweetener, and vanilla until creamy, about 3 minutes. Pour into pie crust and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- In medium saucepan, place water and sprinkle gelatin over top; let sit for 5 minutes. Over low heat, stir in sweetener. Heat (do not boil), for several minutes until all gelatin dissolved. Stir in strawberries. Remove from heat and stir in ice. Allow to cool approximately 30 minutes.
- Pour gelatin mixture over cooled creamy pie and transfer to refrigerator. Cool for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight for thickest texture.
Eat Up & Enjoy!