Dr. David Perlmutter of Grain Brain fame has just released his newest book, Brain Wash: Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking, Deeper Relationships, and Lasting Happiness, co-authored with his physician son, Austin. Brain Wash is a book I found packed with unique new insights into brain and overall health.
You probably already knew that you should not be spending tons of time online or on your smartphone. You already knew that you should get sufficient, quality sleep and exercise. You knew that a diet overloaded with processed foods and sugar is awful for you. But did you know that all these factors in life actually “rewire” or reorganize your brain? And that many of these changes can be visualized and measured by devices like MRIs or EEGs?
In Brain Wash, Dr. Perlmutter takes you on a journey to appreciate just how profound something as simple as mindfulness meditation can be in changing the anatomy and physiology of your brain. He shows us that it’s not just a temporary “state of mind,” but involves an actual physical change in brain tissue.
Among the other fascinating issues Dr. Perlmutter highlights in Brain Wash include:
- The damaging brain and health effects of the “Disconnection Syndrome”
- How spending too much time on electronic devices disrupts the relationship between the prefrontal cortex and amygdala with real consequences for health
- The astounding capacity the human brain has for neuroplasticity, i.e., to grow and rewire itself
- How inflammation cultivated by modern habits can negatively impact decision making and impulse control
- Why building a healthy prefrontal cortex using tools such as exercise can help cultivate emotions such as empathy and compassion
- The beneficial physical effects essential oils have on the brain
The book concludes with a prescriptive program, The Ten-Day Brain Wash, to address all these factors. Dr. Perlmutter’s work has been unfailingly enlightening and insightful over the years, and Brain Wash expands the conversation in a wonderful new direction with plenty of valuable new insights for the reader from a genuine authority on brain health.