I don’t believe that, in the 8 years since the original Wheat Belly book made the news and shook up dietitians, doctors, and others in the business of dispensing dietary advice, it would be an exaggeration to say that the Wheat Belly message has changed lives, bodies, love lives, eating habits, and the health of millions of people. Just look at the visible transformation in Kathy (above), a transformation not just in weight, but in health, vigor, and age.
Think of what we have achieved in changing people’s lives:
- Wheat Belly has vividly illustrated the fact that, as individuals, you have enormous control over personal health—even when doctors and the healthcare system have failed miserably.
- If you reverse inflammation and insulin resistance, weight falls off your body at a pace that sometimes scares people, all achieved without limiting or counting calories or pushing the plate away and without the risk of gallstones that comes from cutting calories or fat.
- Showing that, over and over again, conditions like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, eating disorders, seborrhea and other skin rashes, and many, many others are promptly reversed within days to weeks of adopting this lifestyle.
- People are not overweight due to moral failure, gluttony, or slothfulness, but due to the appetite-stimulating effect of gliadin-derived opioid peptides coupled with the insulin resistance worsened by the amylopectin A of wheat and grains, all made worse by silly and ineffective conventional dietary advice. Banish all sources of gliadin and people are back in control over appetite and impulse, able to lose weight effortlessly. Remove all sources of amylopectin A and blood sugar and insulin are allowed to drop.
- Women with polycystic ovary syndrome, PCOS, with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high testosterone levels, excessive facial and body hair, and infertility, can now enjoy being non-diabetic, non-hypertensive, normal testosterone levels, losing abnormal body hair, and deliver healthy babies.
- Men with excessive tummy fat that expresses the aromatase enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen, while dealing with loss of muscle, loss of libido, depression, erectile dysfunction, and man breasts, can now enjoy a return to normal testosterone and estrogen, increased muscle, return of normal libido and erectile capacity, a lifting of depression, and reduction or complete elimination of abnormally enlarged breasts.
This, of course, is only a partial list of the sorts of transformations that develop on this lifestyle. And you can take your health, vigor, and weight loss even further by incorporating ALL Wheat Belly/Undoctored strategies such as vitamin D and magnesium restoration and efforts to cultivate a healthy microbiome. Please feel free to share your Wheat Belly stories of success here on the Wheat Belly Blog, on the Wheat Belly Facebook page, the Undoctored Blog, or the Undoctored Facebook page.