For the majority of people, type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes are entirely reversible temporary conditions. Normal blood sugar, normal HbA1c (a reflection of the prior 90 days of blood sugar), and freedom from insulin and diabetes drugs are just a few steps away. But don’t count on most doctors or dietitians to tell you this. You should certainly not trust an endocrinologist, diabetologist, or diabetes educator, nearly all of whom advocate the ridiculous diet of the American Diabetes Association.
The occasional exceptions to the temporary nature of type 2 diabetes apply to people who have damaged too many beta cells in the pancreas that produce insulin, since the pancreas does not recover easily from injury incurred from longstanding high blood sugars (glucotoxicity) and high triglyceride levels (lipotoxicity). Some of these people have been labeled “insulin-dependent,” or latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (LADA), or even type 1 diabetes. (Recall that many type 1 diabetics became that way due to the autoimmune process initiated by the gliadin protein of wheat and related grains, also.) But these situations apply to only around 5% of adult diabetics. The other 95% can choose to NOT have type 2 diabetes or at least minimize its expression to levels below that requiring medication.
Jeanette shared her experience reversing type 2 diabetes by following the Wheat Belly lifestyle:
“Got scolded by my doc today for spending time telling him how much better I feel since starting the Wheat Belly lifestyle.
“He was in a hurry and wanted to focus on finding something new wrong with me because I have a 20 year history of insulin-dependent diabetes. I guess it’s hard for him to believe that someone could actually reverse diabetes after so many years.
“One hour post meal today:”
Yes, Jeanette’s doctor was upset because she managed to reverse a condition that he helped cause, she rejected the medications he advised, all by doing the opposite of what he’d been advising for years. Jeanette eats foods that do not raise blood sugar—no wheat, no grains, no sugars–while choosing healthy foods such as eggs, meats, green veggies, and lots of healthy fats like that in pork, beef, organic butter, and coconut oil. This way, even a 1-hour post-meal blood sugar remains normal, as Jeanette proudly shows on her glucometer.
It’s not entirely Jeanette’s doctor’s fault, of course. Modern life conspires to create this epidemic of type 2 diabetes: awful dietary advice, proliferation of sugary soft drinks and junk carbs like chips, dysbiosis from intermittent antibiotic exposure and chlorinated drinking water, lack of vitamin D from indoor lifestyles, lack of sleep, stressful sedentary work, etc. Throw in the huge profit opportunity that makes the diabetes drug industry a multi-billion dollar business growing by double-digits every year, generous incentives given to doctors to prescribe the drugs, the constant onslaught of direct-to-consumer ads showing life as beautiful and carefree on diabetes drugs, consensus treatment guidelines crafted by “experts” on the payroll of Big Pharma and you’ve got the formula for a worldwide diabetic disaster . . . but one you can choose to opt out of.
It is therefore important to address all Wheat Belly strategies in order to maximize the restoration of your body’s sensitivity to insulin. Every strategy articulated in Wheat Belly Total Health and the Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox books play a role in restoring the body’s insulin sensitivity and reversing type 2 diabetes, especially vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil, and cultivation of bowel flora. Don’t let modern life and awful conventional dietary advice resign you to a life of being overweight with diabetes and reliance on expensive medications while shaving 8 years off your life. Look at type 2 diabetes as a temporary condition, one that you can reverse with just a few key strategies.
Did you notice that Jeanette’s facial swelling has reversed, complete with larger eyes? This is all part of the wonderful reversal of body-wide inflammation that occurs in people following the Wheat Belly lifestyle.