First step: clear your kitchen of all obvious wheat and grain sources. Take a look at the list below and pull these items out of your kitchen. If your family isn’t on board for the detox, make sure to create a cabinet or shelf and space in the refrigerator especially for your detox food, so you won’t be tempted to “cheat” and reignite your body’s addiction to wheat and grain.
Making the break abruptly and cleanly is very important for success.
Clean your cabinets of these foods (donate or throw away!):
- Wheat-based products: breads, rolls, breakfast cereals, pasta, orzo, bagels, muffins, pancakes and pancake mixes, waffles, doughnuts, pretzels, cookies, crackers
- Bulgur and triticale (both related to wheat)
- Barley products: barley, barley breads, soups with barley, vinegars with barley-malt
- Rye products: rye bread, pumpernickel bread, crackers
- All corn products: corn, cornstarch, cornmeal products (chips, tacos, tortillas), grits, polenta, sauces or gravies thickened with cornstarch, corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, breakfast cereals
- Rice products: white rice, brown rice, wild rice, rice cakes, breakfast cereals
- Oat products: oatmeal, oat bran, oat cereals
Then eliminate hidden sources by reading labels.
Eliminate hidden sources of grains by avoiding the processed foods that fill the inner aisles of the grocery store. Almost all of these are thickened, flavored, or textured with grain products, or grains are added as cheap filler and/or appetite stimulants. Living without grains means avoiding foods that you never thought contained grains, such as seasoning mixes bulked up with cornstarch, canned and dry soup mixes with wheat flour, Twizzlers, soy sauce, frozen dinners with wheat-containing gravy and muffins, and all breakfast cereals, hot and cold. (You will find lists of the hidden aliases for wheat and corn, in particular, that can be found in so many processed foods in Appendix B of Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox.)
This does not mean you will never have a crunchy breakfast cereal again or a salad topped with delicious dressing. You will learn to either make your own versions with no unhealthy grains to booby-trap your lifestyle or to identify the brands that have no grains or other unhealthy ingredients added. Armed with the Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox, you have every advantage to succeed!