Nearly 3400 responses came in within hours of releasing the first Wheat Belly Survey. Due to the number of responses, it will require some time to analyze and breakdown the results into, for example, the experiences of people before they begin, the first week when most people are struggling with withdrawal/detoxification phenomena, and long-term outcomes. But it will prove to be fascinating, perhaps teaching us some new lessons about the power of this lifestyle.
Nonetheless, if we lump everyone–beginners and experienced–together, some crude numbers jump out:
- 61% reported reduced or complete relief from joint pain
- 68.5% reported relief from acid reflux
- 67.5% reported relief from irritable bowel syndrome symptoms such as bowel urgency
- 59.3% reported relief from chronic constipation
- 69.2% reported increased energy
- 48.2% reported relief from headaches
- 77.6% reported being happier/improved mood
- 74.1% reported weight loss, 22.4% reported no change
Number of pounds lost ranged widely, though an impressive number exceeded 30 pounds lost.
Once the beginners are culled out, the numbers are likely to be even more impressive, since many benefits of the Wheat Belly lifestyle such as relief from joint pain and autoimmune conditions, can require months to fully develop. It is also unclear how many respondents have incorporated all the strategies that are important to us, such as vitamin D, magnesium, and prebiotic fibers to cultivate healthy bowel flora, all of which push the number of people with health benefits even higher. (A topic for a future survey perhaps.)
Anyway, the preliminary numbers were so astounding that I wanted to give everyone a sense of what they showed. Stay tuned for more news from the Wheat Belly Survey as the numbers are broken down!