Contact Info: MEDIA INQUIRIES ONLY!

Please: NO personal inquiries here.

For TV, radio, press media:
Emily Weber
RODALE BOOKS
Public Relations Manager
733 Third Avenue, 9th Floor
New York, New York 10017
212-808-1621
Email: Emily.Weber@rodale.com

For speaking engagements Dr. Davis is represented exclusively by Paul MacInnis at Autopoetic Ideas:

L Paul MacInnis
Halifax, Nova Scotia
paul@ideasfestival.ca
(902) 220-3928

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheat-Belly/209766919069873

Blogs:
Wheat Belly Blog: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com
Heart Scan Blog: http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog

MEDIA INQUIRIES ONLY at this email, please! MEDIA INQUIRIES ONLY! If you are NOT from a media source, your email will be placed in the trash bin.
MEDIA INQUIRIES Email: contact@wheatbellyblog.com

(Any NON-MEDIA questions or personal stories should be posted on the blog as a comment.)

251 Responses to Contact Info: MEDIA INQUIRIES ONLY!

1. Betsy Mitton says:

Hello,
    I just finished your book on my Kindle and have been WF for over a week and feel great. However, like a previous post, I was wondering if you have the recipes available in your book for download or printing? They all sound fantastic and I really don’t want to sit and hand copy all of them onto recipe cards from my Kindle.

Thanks!
    Betsy

2. Gaby Schwimmer says:

Dear Dr Davis
    I am going to describe an experience I had, concerning the German edition of your book, which really upset me.

First some background: For the past two months I’ve been telling people all about your book Wheat Belly and how it has helped me. I had seen it at Barnes & Nobles (while visiting friends in the US last February), started to read it, and couldn’t put it down.
    To make a long story short, after only one week of eliminating wheat and other gluten containing products, I had normal digestion, no more running to the bathroom at least three times a day, no more bloating and gas, no more intestinal cramps at night. There is a whole litany of other health problems that have disappeared or greatly improved by now, but that’s another story.
    Suffice it to say that I have been telling everyone about your book and how I am a new person because of it. I’ve bought it in English for one of my friends, but the English of many others isn’t good enough and I’ve been waiting for the German edition. However, I now doubt if they’re going to read it in German.

Yesterday I went to my favorite independent bookstore here in Emmerich am Rhein, which is run by four wonderful women, to pick up my German language copy of Life without Bread (quoted in your book) that I had ordered. As usual, I started going on and on about your book helping me so much, called Wheat Belly. Suddenly one of the owners said that I must be talking about that new book Weizenwampe that they had refused to order just the day before, even when their supplier had tried to press them, because of the offensive title..
    Appalled, another customer repeated “Weizenwampe?”, as I stood there, shocked.
    The owner confirmed that they had no intention of carrying it because they do not want to insult their customers.

WHAT WAS YOUR GERMAN PUBLISHER THINKING?

WEIZENWAMPE?????

Why would anyone try to alienate your future readers? That is if there will be any German readers .

COULD YOU STILL CHANGE THIS?

At this point you should know, that Wampe is a derogatory term for a really fat belly, often used when you want to insult someone (gebr: ugs. abwertend = usage: derogatory; see dictionary link below).

Original use: a cow’s hanging skin folds.
    Also, see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wampe

The only communality ‘belly’ has with ‘Wampe’ is that they both can mean ‘abdomen’. Here the similarity ends. Whereas a belly is neutral (everyone has a belly) – it can be big – as in beer belly (Bierbauch), hopeful – as in pregnant belly (Schwangerschaftsbauch), cute – as in belly button (Bauchnabel) – or ‘belly shirts’, and sensual – as in belly dance, belly dancer (Bauchtanz, Bauchtänzerin), a Wampe is never neutral; it’s always a big fat abdomen.

After some discussion in the store (people were truly appalled by the name) we agreed that the publisher probably liked the alliteration of WeizenWampe, and didn’t understand that playing with sounds should not have been the point, but the connection to content. Beer belly = Bierbauch, so why not: Wheat Belly = Weizenbauch ?

Unfortunately, I could not convince the owners to order and display the book. Of course they’ll special-order it if someone wants it.

But how are people going to know about it? How many other bookstore managers will react similarly?

This is not the end.
    I went home to look for your book on Amazon.de. I found it, but…
    Where did the cute, expressive cover go? In comparison, the German one is kind of boring.
    What’s with the long wheat stalk in the shape of a very big gut?

The delicious bagels on Wheat Belly make one want to pick it up and find out why they could possibly be causing any problems (given today’s health advise). Then you start reading, and then you’re hooked (that was me). Couldn’t you have used the same cover? Or why not use an equally delicious stack of the many different types of wonderful breads being sold here on the German cover?
    Since the book won’t actually be sold before January 2013, is there enough time to change things?

I’d like to know what reaction other Germans have.

And is there any way I can help? I do so want people to get your message!

If you have actually read my rantings and ravings to the end, I thank you for your patience. I also thank you for the time you take with all the people writing in to your blog, but most of all I thank you for my health.

I wish you all the best,

Gaby

Wow, Gaby. This is ALL news to me!

Thank you for alerting me to these issues. I will take it up with my agent and see what he thinks.

Thank you!

3. Susan Garrett says:

is Phyllium hulls considered a wheat product also and do you condider the Hood milk low fat milk wiht soy protein also a no not on you diet.

4. Tim says:

I have been taking Metamucil for a few years to help with regularity. Can you suggest an alternatative to this wheat based product?

• Tim says:

Please add another category title:
      “Endurance Athlete Fuel”
      I have been a competive masters runner the last five years.
      Currently, I am confused on what I should be fueling on before a training run or race.
      Also, recovery foods after a training run or race. Most mainstream nutrionists recommend bagels, pancakes, bananas, oatmeal, energy bars, etc. before and after runs.
      After reading your book many of the above items would not fit the Wheat free regime.

5. Paula says:

Hi, What are your thoughts on millet flour? It is gluten free and extremely high in fiber. Also, is wheat grown in other countries more similar to ancient wheat or is it also hybridized? Paula

6. Lisa says:

Hi Dr. Davis – and anyone else –
    I just wanted to pass along this website address about the “evils” of fiber.
    It’s probably nothing everyone here didn’t already know but I found it very interesting.
    Thanks, Lisa

7. nana keck says:

hi dr. davis,

since I have read your book I have eliminated all wheat and other grains, except puffed quinoa for breakfast. I started the wheat free lifestyle 3 weeks ago and have not lost one gramm.
    I have been eating cheese and joghurt occasionally, but mostly vegetables and meat or fish and of course nuts. My quinoa, flax seed, pumkin seeds I mix with rice milk or almond milk for breakfast.
    I do have a small wheat belly, which mainly grew over the last couple of years. I used to weigh 56 kg, now I weigh 65 kg at 167 cm and age 43.
    I do have to say that I feel less gittery eventhough I eat much less now. My mood swings seem better. Energy level during the day is better. I have Hashimoto Thyroditis and used to have enormous mood swings when my blood sugar would go down.
    The pain in my wrist has not gone away, but actually increased since I started wheat free?
    I want to lose weight! How do I go about it? What do I have to change?
    I would greatly appreciate some insight.

Thanks Nana

Hi, Nana–

If you had Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, I assume you have now developed hypothyroidism and are taking levothyroxine (Synthroid), i.e., the T4 thyroid hormone. If so, it means that you likely lack the thyroid hormone, T3, the primary active thyroid hormone. This is a VERY common cause of failed weight loss, even in the face of a perfect diet effort. You can even GAIN weight while eating perfectly and exercising if T3 is not addressed. The toughest part is to find a doctor willing to work with you. Most primary care docs and endocrinologists are useless for this issue. You might have to consult with a functional medicine doc to get wheat you need. Also, see Janie Bowthorpe’s very excellent Stop the Thyroid Madness blog for more info on this.

Quinoa, rich in carbohydrates, may also contribute to your failed weight loss.

After this, there are several other reasons to consider. But I would start with an intelligent thyroid assessment.

8. James Bray says:

I have been gluten free for about a week now. This evening I tried the recipe for the flax seed wraps in the back of the Wheatbelly book. Most of the items you have listed in your sample week menu I have enjoyed, but in all honestly I find these flax seed wraps pretty unpalatable. Is there any sort of alternative to the these wraps that you would recommend?

Thanks so much,
    JB

9. Mike says:

Something funny happened today while playing an older video game from 2002. Hang with me,this has to do with the cause.I was playing Tom Clancy’s Splinter cell,At the start of each mission is a world news broadcast,complete with a news ticker rolling by at the bottom.Please watch this video,and watch the ticker at about 1 min into the video,and see if you notice why I almost fell off the couch laughing.

10. Theresa says:

I am coming up on my one-year wheat-free anniversary. I stopped eating wheat on July 1, 2011 and bought your book the day it was released, but I was already a believer by then. I was one of those people who didn’t seem to have any overt symptoms and thought I could handle wheat just fine, but I decided to emulate my son who had already adopted a wheat-free lifestyle. The changes have been incredible. I’ve lost a lot of weight, look 10 years younger, have tons of energy, perfect blood lipids, clear glowing skin, and look and feel so much healthier. People ask me all the time what I am doing. When I tell them, the answers range from “I could never give up wheat” (now we’re talking addiction) to “I don’t have a problem with wheat” (but then they complain about their gastro issues and joint pain). I’m a teacher, and it’s tough to go into the faculty room for a “breakfast” and be faced with bagels, muffins, cakes, donuts, cookies, and biscuits, but I haven’t intententially had a bite of wheat in a year and will never go back. Thaks Dr Davis!

11. Anonymous says:

Dr Davis,
    After reading WheatBelly I gave up gluten several months ago (but not all grains) and saw the miraculous end of nearly 30 years of bulimia. (You posted my story back then!) Update is that the bulimia is still gone! and that I lost some weight, but not much. I have continued to follow your blog and through it I came in contact with John McLean’s “No Carb Revolution”. For the second time I was hit with the impact of insulin of weight loss and now that my gluten-induced brain fog had cleared the info started to sink in. For my 45 birthday I bought myself a glucometer. Although I am not diabetic, nearly all of my blood relatives are insulin dependent diabetics. I decided to see what my levels were. About that same time I read some information on your Trackyourplaque blog about using the glucometer as a tool for weight loss. I had not followed the carb restrictions suggested in WheatBelly because I felt I “loved” those foods too much and that giving up gluten would be enough. I was wrong. My personal blood glucose testing revealed a morning sugar of 84, but serious spikes with every carb-filled meal. It finally became clear that my frequent carb ingestion (I am/was! a serious snacker) was the “no-duh!” explanation for why I wasn’t losing weight. So since my birthday this month I have been checking my glucose levels an hour after each meal and staying below 100. If a food/recipe spikes my levels it is removed from my diet. I have already lost 6 pounds with almost no effort other than the mental effort of selecting a new food vs an old habit food. It took me a while to get my mind around the whole program, but, wow, I am wholeheartedly convinced. So….I need a professional opinion. I am a nurse and I am about to begin a job on a Cardiology floor. I don’t think I am going to be able to “tow the party line” when it comes to educating patients and making “healthy diet” recommendations that coincide with the mainstream low-fat whole grain nonsense. What am I going to do????
    Sincerely, Anonymous

Very nice on the results with the glucose meter! It really works, often showing your exactly what you were doing wrong. Perhaps I should re-post that Heart Scan Blog post here.

There’s no good answer on how to deal with working in a setting where you are involved in CAUSING the diseases you were charged with preventing. Change in these settings will be small and incremental. Charging in and insisting on change will just alienate and accomplish nothing. So go easily and slowly and help influence those who are willing to listen.

Even today, when nurses ask me “Do you want the American Heart Association diet?” I answer, “Oh, you mean the diet that causes heart disease and diabetes?” I still get a blank pause, since they have no idea what I’m talking about. This will change, but will require DECADES.

12. Jessica says:

Dear Dr. Davis, I’m Dutch, reading the English version of the Wheat Belly book. with great interest. Of course reading a book like this in a foreign language isn’t the easiest thing to do. I’d like to check if I understood correctly what you said about 1/2 cup of non-wheat carbohydrates: is that per DAY or per MEAL?
    Also, I’m trying to figure out just how much that is in weight, as we don’t use the concept of ‘cups’ over here.

The daily carbohydrate limit has also been expressed as 20 grams of net carbs per day.
      Net carbs is [ total carbs ] minus [ fiber carbs ].

Hi, Jessica–

Your approach is more exact. Think of it this way: Most people can tolerate up to about 15 grams of “net” carbohydrates per meal, i.e., total carbohydrates minus fiber.

If it’s any help, there will be a German edition of the book coming out in fall this year.

• Jessica says:

Thank you very much!!
        Labels in my country don’t give ‘net carbs’. They says ‘carbs’ and then ‘of which sugars’. I suppose the ‘sugars’ is the net carbs? For example my jar of peanut butter says it contains 9 grams of carbs per 100 grams, ‘of which sugars: 2,5 grams’.

• Jessica says:

Sorry for keeping on, but since the ‘net carb’ idea isn’t useful for me: I’d still like to know if it’s half a cup PER DAY or PER MEAL?

13. September Song says:

I was wondering if you have heard of Julian’s Bakery in CA and what you think of their Carb Zero breads. The don’t have the processed rice, tapioca flours in them, but what about the Gluten free, organic oats? Here’ the link:

Thank you.

14. Anonymous says:

I have a close relative who is gluten sensitive and whose life drastically improved by following a gluten-free lifestyle. Long list of health problems cured, autoimmune issues now gone, and lost 60+ pounds. This person was estranged from his children following a divorce many many years ago. Today we received the very sad news that his adult son committed suicide. It appears that the main reason for his choice to end his life was chronic pain from many years of severe Crohn’s disease and an impending colostomy surgery. This situation is tragic on so many levels. The two men had not seen each other in over 30 years. Neither knew of the other’s health conditions. I can’t help but wonder if wheat played a role his disease process as well as in the decision to take his own life. I just recently read an article (I can’t remember where…) discussing studies showing increased suicidal behavior in connection with celiac disease. I know of several people whose Crohn’s disease improved dramatically by eliminating wheat and dairy. I have no way of knowing if he was accurately diagnosed, but it blows my mind that the medical profession pushes methotrexate and radical surgery for a bowel issue instead of considering that perhaps something being ingested into the bowel is the root cause of the problem. Thank you Dr Davis for spreading the word…there are still many people whose very lives may depend on it.

15. Dr. Davis, congrats on authoring, in my humble opinion, one of the most critical works of modern nutrition available to the general public. I own an Elite Training Facility outside Toronto, Canada, and we cater to amateur to professional level athletes in the sports of hockey, football, rugby, marathon running, lacrosse, basketball, volleyball, soccer, and swimming. My partner and I have been preaching and prescribing a wheat-free diet to our athletes for a number if years, but having all the info you provide in one place, to show our clients, has been a welcome tool. Wheat Belly, has become required reading for all our clients, old and new, and we have purchased a stack of copies to hand out to anyone who joins our club. Professional athletes are a stubborn crowd, and generally do not have the time or the patience to research their own diets. That’s where we come in. Now, obviously a professional athlete has significantly different dietary needs than say an insurance salesman, and many unfortunately believe wholeheartedly that wheat “needs” to be a staple in every meal they consume. Slowly but surely were getting through to them, chiefly through their results on the lifting floor. Our main problem has been that many of their “team” nutritionists, or dietitians, are still handing out wheat-heavy diets. So, the problem becomes, “our word against their word”, and many of these athletes implicitly trust the advice given to them by the members of the team’s staff. My question: would you be willing to have a short conversation with me by phone or e-mail to help provide some more accurate answers to our clients/athletes questions. I am quite well informed and have gone over every publication or on-line article of yours I can get my hands on, but I still have some questions that’s pertain to wheat consumption and it’s effects on the elite athletic body, something that wasn’t really touched on in your book given it’s primary focus. My thought is that by speaking with you, I can state my case with more clarity and conviction, and it couldn’t hurt you to have well-known Elite level Canadian athletes advocating your message. I can’t imagine how busy you are and I hesitated writing this request given that I may appear foolish in believing that someone with the demands you face would have any time at all to speak with a Strength and Conditioning Coach, but, hey, it’s always worth a try. My personal e-mail is mattglenbacon@yahoo.ca, or I will continue to check your blog in hope of a reply. I would be greatly in your debt. Thank you, sincerely, if you took the time to read this. And please forgive any typo’s, as I have huge fingers and am typing this on an I-pad. Cheers, Matt Bacon.

Hi, Matt–

Sounds like you are doing great work in Toronto!

I was just there two weeks ago. We could have had coffee! But I had a great time in a city that I truly love.

I will email you.

16. Jessica D. says:

I am curious to know- what are your thoughts on Einkorn and Emmer flour? Also, I have seen some Einkorn pasta and the national health food store which seems to have a lot of nutrition. Are all these ok to use in moderation, or is all wheat bad?? I have two small children. One of them is extremely picky, but does love pasta, so anything I could offer her nutrition wise would be helpful.

Thanks!

I am not a fan of wheat in any form, Jessica.

While the “ancient” grains are more benign, they are not harmless. My choice would be to eliminate, or at least minimize, exposure to all forms of wheat, ancient or modern.

17. Tracey O'Connell, MD says:

dr. davis-
    i am a radiologist who has been eating gluten free for 1.5 years since i was diagnosed as gluten-intolerant and 2 of my 3 children were diagnosed with celiac disease. going gluten-free was really challenging at first, with regard to inconvenience and going “against the grain” with regard to how our society eats. but it has been more than worth it. all 5 of us in the family are gluten-free at home- although my oldest son and husband still consume some gluten away from the house. none of the family has ever been overweight. we have always been athletic and health-conscious. little did we know the effect that wheat and gluten were having on our lives. for me, the lifelong upset stomach that i thought was nerves has completely gone away. the “fog” and anxiety/depression i had struggled with for years is also gone.
    i am only now reading your book. it is amazing. it corroborates everything i have experienced personally: gluten and wheat are not just toxic for celiac sufferers- they are toxic to everyone!
    i have do have some questions:
    1) why isn’t 100% of the wheat-consuming population overweight/obese? why doesn’t everyone seem to develop the endocrine dysfunction and insulin resistance that wheat causes?
    2) if a person with celiac disease goes completely gluten-free, does his/her risk of celiac-related malignancies and other conditions (diabetes, thyroid disease, other autoimmune diseases) go back to that of the normal population? in other words, your book states that those with celiac disease have all sorts of additional risks of other illnesses. does that refer to UNTREATED celiac sufferers or, does it mean that even on a completely gluten-free diet, a celiac patient will always be at risk of these other medical problems?
    3) my kids eat all sorts of gluten-free breads and pastas. they also eat lots of veggies and protein and fruit. while in an ideal world, kids would eat the paleo-type diet recommended in your book, they are subject to lots of snacking and temptations with their friends and society in general. plus, since they are growing and very active/athletic, they need the calories (albeit many gf snacks are “empty calories”). what are the recommendations for CHILDREN who are still growing, with regard to gluten-free substitutes? i don’t see them even remotely as overweight or obese. does this mean they may still be getting spikes in insulin, but it is not causing deposition of visceral fat so it isn’t a “problem”? or how can they be eating differently?
    thanks so much for this pioneering work you are doing, and going to battle with the wrongs in the food pyramid, FDA guidelines and those of Western medicine. i truly believe it will lead to a food revolution if people start paying attention. you can be certain i will spread the word!
    sincerely,
    tracey o’connell, md

Welcome, Dr. O’Connell!

And thank you for your feedback. You are on the path to wonderful health—by doing the OPPOSITE of what we are all told.

In answer to your questions:

1) Genetic and lifestyle variation. It’s the same reason why some people who smoke cigarettes live until age 88 without a problem, while others experience peripheral vascular disease, abdominal aortic aneurysms, heart disease, and COPD at age 40. But the exceptions, of course, do not disprove the rule.

2) Probably. We need more long-term studies. Problem: Most “gluten-free”‘ people are not meticulously gluten-free. Among my career priorities: fund the study to document this cancer-reducing effect better. (We have formed, but not fully developed, the Wheat Free Research and Education Foundation to help fund such efforts.)

3) Gluten-free foods, as currently conceived by the gluten-free industry, are bad no matter what age. I would view them as indulgences only, much like jelly beans and ice cream.

This is a journey and welcome to the trip!

18. Daniel Stinson says:

Table 1. Genomic constitution of wheats and their relatives.

Found this while looking for information towards my PowerPoint presentation of your book for oral presentation at college.

Your book has helped my mom get ahold of her diabetes and have more control over it, both parents are already coming off many medications little by little.

I’m trying to get my wife on-board, so that we can enjoy the benefits too…

19. Remy Olson says:

I have a couple of questions: one regarding TYP membership not addressed on the site and the other regarding a Polish translation of Wheat Belly. I’d like to have written this as an email but couldn’t seem to find an address to reach you and the TYP general email didn’t seem the place to send this, but you’re welcome to edit it however you like and keep it on the thread here if you like.

Regarding TYP:
    We would like to sign up my husband’s parents for TYP after a couple of pressing questions are addressed that I wasn’t able to find on the TYP site:
    1. How do I find a cardiologist in our area to work with them who is on the same page as the MD’s in CCF? We are willing to drive if you or another CCF MD are accepting new patients. We are near Chicago. A search on the Paleo Physician’s Network yields no cardiologists and only one GP (which we’ll resort to if need be)
    2. In the case that we can’t find an MD that is helpful in consulting us, will TYP walk us through finding a facility that has the exact test(s) as well as interpretation of the CAC and other tests? I recognize that the tests don’t solve anything (the lifestyle changes do) but for them this aspect is psychologically critical to them implementing changes successfully (even though they will likely lose tons of weight, feel better, etc.).

Backstory: My husband and I are long-time WB/paleo/WAPF-involved and have been working with his parents to implement a Wheat Belly style protocol. Mom’s had a heart attack, dad’s got a massive wheat belly and alcoholism, both are running a sinking ship of a stressful restaurant. They are awesome people and we want our future children to have them as grandparents. We moved to take a load off them, sell the restaurant, and we’ve managed to convince them to try alternative approach.

Regarding WB translation to Polish:
    We think our parents reading WB would really benefit them, but they don’t speak English and there is no Polish translation I can find. My husband is interested in translating WB for them. Their greatest hurdle is understanding modern wheat, believing that it differs from the wheat they grew up with and their several generations of perfectly healthy ancestors grew up with. My husband’s Polish is excellent, but not science-y enough to discuss the details accomplishing captivating and convincing them which we feel them reading your book would. I think I could do this as I teach a WB-similar classes myself but my Polish is limited to nouns. Plus, they’re pretty old school and the word of an MD is gold.

Could we work out a way to get a digital copy to be able to use to easily translate? Between my husband’s Polish and my science background and strong understanding of the material I think we could do a really good translation. We could just translate it from our paper copy but it would be a heck of a lot easier to do it digitally with the use of Google Translate and then clean it up paragraph by paragraph.

We have immense respect for your work. If there’s anything we can do in return or a creative way you can think of for us to help through use of our data/info for a clinical trial, study, before/after, testimonial, we’d love to help. Between us we have some pretty interesting skill sets and maybe we’ll find a way to be a part of your activism.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Remy & Darek

Sorry, but this is not the place to post queries about the Track Your Plaque program. Please go to the Track Your Plaque Member Forum and post your questions there. You will find that many others will step forward to help you.

Re: Polish translation. The contract is currently being negotiated. So, if all proceeds, a Polish edition should be on its way.

20. Valerie Kemp says:

Can you provide any information regarding Jerusalem Artichoke flour used in pasta. Is it a healthier option that regular flour pasta?

Thank you!