Featured Articles

Triticum Fever in BoingBoing

The Atlantic interview: Your Addiction to Wheat Products is Making You Fat and Unhealthy

Health Goes Strong interview

Macleans Magazine (largest circulation magazine in Canada) Wheat Belly interview

ABC Health article

Interview with Tom Naughton, filmmaker of movie, Fat Head, comedian, and insightful, incisive commentator on nutrition. Part 2 of the interview.

How wheat wrecks your health and physique interview in Bodybuilding.com with Editor-in-Chief, Jeff O’Connell, also author of Sugar Nation

Woman’s World front page article: MD’s Discovery: Lose 30 Pounds in 30 Days!

Life Extension Magazine, October 2011. Wheat: The Unhealthy Grain. An excerpt from Wheat Belly. (Links to come in future.)

617 Responses to Featured Articles

1. Katie Hill says:

Thank you everyone! Dr. Davis, I love the imagery of me and my weapon hunting down the prey! So much more exciting to think of myself that way. And thank you all for the articles and suggestion of youtube, I’m excited to dig into more information.

2. Katie Hill says:

3. kay mawson says:

do you have a recipe to make wheat free bread.could you please send me one
    kay

Search for the focaccia flatbread recipe on this blog, Kay. I believe it’s the best place to start.

• Leigh says:

Ive been making a wheat free corn bread that tastes fantastic. Its Bob’s Red Mill Gluten free corn bread mix. I’ve made it with buttermilk as well as regular milk.

4. dendad says:

hi dr. davis—i just came home from the doctor’s and had to write—i have been wheat free with only an occasional cheat, since april. i got my last bloodwork done late march and started right in being wheat free. i feel so much better, leg aches almost completely gone, belly has really shrunk and i no longer crave bread, sweets and pasta like i used to. before he told me my lab results, my doc asked me what i have been doing. i was fearful that my numbers wouldn’t be good (due to a few lapses when away on holidays)…but i was pleasantly surprised to hear that my A1C had gone from 8.8 down to 6.4! he was surprised—-i was shocked!
    he reviewed my medications and was also surprised to learn that i hadn’t taken any actos at all and had cut my metformin down from a 500 mg pill twice daily, to one pill daily,,,,if and when i remembered to take it.
    i then told me to stop taking it all together. wow! this is terrific. but here’s my question—he said my cholesterol, which is 2.9, should be 2. he wants me to restart the lipitor that i took myself off of. do you think that i need to take this? could i cut the pill in half and take 5 mg instead?
    i eat butter, eggs, nuts, olive oil etc as outlined in your book.
    i am supposed to return to see him in 3 months and he’ll recheck my cholesterol level. i don’t know whether to ignore his request to take the lipitor so hope you’ll give me some advice one way or the other.
    thanks

Excellent! Less diabetes medications with BETTER blood sugars than before! Just keep going and it gets better and better, provided you stay the course.

In my mind, it is CRIMINAL to treat total cholesterol with drugs. This is a really, really outdated idea, but one widely supported by the “science” generously paid for by the drug industry. Personally, I would insist on a full lipoprotein analysis (such as that talked about in the book) or insist on a new doctor!

• Angela Roberts says:

Try Red Yeast Rice to lower cholesterol. Dropped mine 40 points in 3 months. Stay away from Lipitor and statins

• Brenda says:

Make sure you take COQ10 also, as it is a natural statin. It works for me as well as prescription strength Fish Oil. Good luck!

• James says:

Hi dendad,

What is this number (2.9) ? Your TOTAL cholesterol ?
      Do you have more precise and detailed numbers, namely LDL, HDL, tryglycerides ?
      If I understood correctly, removing most starch and sugar from your diet and getting carbs only from low glycemic sources (veggies or berries in reasonable amount) together with increasing your intake of heathy fats, should improve these numbers by INCREASING your HDL, lowering your tryglycerides, and whatever happens to the LDL does not matter (the very low density particles – the unhealthy ones – will decrease while the larger LDL – healthier – will increase). The HDL / tryglycerides ratio is what matters. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
      It means that the overall cholesterol number tells ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! You can go back to your doctor and ask for a detailed analysis this time.

> The HDL / tryglycerides ratio is what matters.

With typical lipid tests, that may be all you get, but it’s not enough. What Dr. D., among others, says you want is “NMR lipoprotein” (actually measured small LDLs, and not calculated based on assumptions that are invalid for low-carb, and probably during weight loss. You also want “apoprotein B”. See:

> … overall cholesterol number tells ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

True. It’s right up there with PSA and TSH in the pantheon of meaningless metrics.

5. Shari says:

Hi Dr. Davis: I just had to write to tell you that the book is fascinating and I have been recommending it to everyone I know with a health issue! I have been on a wheat-free lifestyle for two weeks and my crippling IBS is gone! I was supposed to go into the hospital for another barium swallow test last Friday but the doctor said I could cancel it because my symptoms were gone! My only issue is that I have not lost any weight.

6. Don’t forget the most recent article in the Thanksgiving issue of First For Women! I was honored to have one of my recipes featured alongside such a great review of your book.

7. Mary says:

I saw the Dr Oz interview with Dr Davis. I have been overweight most of my adult life. I am 64 with diabetes, high BP, have IBS, have fibromyalgia, depression, degenerative disc disease and high cholesterol. I am today embarking on a wheat-free lifestyle. I will also eliminate other grains and sugar. I am starting at 211 and I will update you on my progress in a month. Thank you for your encouragement and for opening my eyes to the wheat belly epidemic.

8. Hello Dr Davis!

After reading your book recently I have been researching spelt, as for quite some time now I have been making my own spelt bread at home believing it to be a healthier choice. Interestingly I found this study after a Google search, comparing the micronutrient profiles of spelt and wheat:

I’m sure you have already read research along these lines but I thought linking here for your readers may help those – like me – who have been eating spelt as a wheat alternative. But clearly spelt – while a “better” choice between two not-so-great options – is still wheat, with all the problems associated with gliadins, amylopectin a (in fact one study cited in the above research shows spelt with higher levels of this than wheat) etc etc.

I also appreciated the references in your book to The China Study – where do you stand on Campbell’s connection between animal protein and the triggering of diabetes and cancer, for example? I found the argument against animal protein – and milk – very persuasive.

Thanks for the great work!

Natalie Peluso

Hi, Natalie–

I will be covering this question of grains, such as spelt, in upcoming discussions. In short, ideally humans are not suited to consume grains of any stripe. They all represent health compromises to various degrees, even ancient grains.

If you read Campbell’s original studies, then read his book, you cannot avoid wondering where the material for his book came from. I don’t know if there is something wacky going on, but his book is nothing like his studies. I will discuss these issues as well.

Suffice to say for now that you and your friends and neighbors are examples of carnivorous Homo sapiens! Saying that meat consumption is unhealthy is like saying breathing takes oxygen away from other people, so you should stop doing it.

9. Marc says:

I am very interested to understand why you believe that grains are all bad for us. We are not carnivores, we are omnivores. Here’s why I question this. I personally am one who believes in God and the bible, and I love history. Bread is referenced in all the annals of time. God (if you believe ) fed the Jews bread for 40 years, bread and water have been the two things that have supported life in many many situations. However this crisis of health has only come along since science intervened and altered the natural state of grains. I am more than certain your 0.4% of time is incorrect. The Asia from India to japan, have had rice as the number one staple in their food, They are not dying in droves from diabetes, nor are they obese. Corn was the main grain of Native America, again no obesity, and no mass health issues. Even The USA until the 1900 lived on wheat and corn, and was not obese. The depression had what they termed “bread lines”. Potato had supported the Irish and Russian people, again no issues. As soon as science starts to alter the natural design of what I call (given by God) wheat, we start to experience Fast massive changes.As fast as the results of cutting it out. Cancer was hardly heard of in the early 1900, all of a sudden in 2000, our children are getting it? We were not an obese country during the civil war. Look at pictures, yes there were some round people, but not the obese you see today. I am not disputing your thoughts of wheat and sugar intake of today, however I am curious what you have seen in your research to the contrary of what I am basing my theory on. It really strikes me that when genetics came along, so did the health and fat crisis. I also must apologize as I have not yet read your book, I tend to do more research on line (free) before paying to see someones thoughts and research.

Thank you so much for fighting to expose this harmful product that secretly lies in almost every shelf of the grocery store.

The issue of grains beyond wheat is actually fascinating, but complex, issue that I find fascinating. I plan a series of discussions about just the issues you raise and others. So stay tuned.

Suffice it to say that, yes, older and ancient grains are less harmful, but they are not benign. We cannot judge the impact of a food by weight effects alone. Modern wheat (and, to a lesser degree, corn) do indeed possess flagrant “obesogenic” (weight gain) effects to a bizarre and unprecedented degree that older grains did not. But you could still develop arthritis, cataracts, hypertension, heart failure, etc. from the older grains.

Grains are suitable for NO human. I will recount why I say this, but it will be counter to your current religious beliefs.

10. LA says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    I was just wondering your thoughts about cutting out all wheat and pcos. I have had this since I was 19 years old.

11. Martí says:

Hello Dr. Davis!

My family, girlfriend and I have been wheat free and low carb now since late April and its dramatically improved all of our health, and as such I’ve been happily promoting the change in diet to all my friends. Recently one of my friends I’d mentioned the diet to was afflicted with a severe flare-up of his Crohn’s disease. After talking to his girlfriend she told me that his doctor’s recommended diet (when he’s not in a flare up and actually capable of keeping down food) is to consume mostly large amounts of “healthy whole grains” as well as plenty of vegetables, and minimal fat. The reasoning behind this is fat is harder to digest in the small intestine and places too much stress on it, causing inflammation. However, from what I’ve seen and experienced myself the opposite seems to be true where diet is concerned, with sugars causing inflammation. I was curious if you knew any scientific articles that could verify the connection between high carbs/wheat consumption and Crohn’s, as well what your perspective is on the matter, as their doctor’s advice contradicts what I would say, and I need to have a solid case and evidence to help convince them (or, should I be wrong, at least do no harm) before I proceed.

Best wishes!

Be sure to read:

I don’t have the book handy, and don’t recall if it has any specific cites for Crohn’s, but I might observe a couple of things:
      1. Just try it. Ditch the grains for a month. Other than withdrawal symptoms, and trying to lose too much weight too fast (in deep ketosis), the WB lifestyle is risk free. The worst that people have reported here is infrequent instances of “no change”.
      2. I also see a double standard here. People are holding Dr. Davis to a higher standard that they apply to the doctors that are maiming and killing them. Has the patient in this instance asked the Dr. for cites to studies of that recommended “whole grains” diet vs. any of: no grains, paleo, low carb?

• Martí says:

Thanks for the link Boundless, this should help a lot! And as far as the need for citations I fully believe that going low carb is the best way to impact their health (from some of my own research and experience), but convincing my friends to go against the advice of a medical professional after my friend has just gone through such a traumatic Crohn’s episode will be no easy task. As my advice would trigger another episode according to medical ‘experts’ I just want to make sure I don’t leave any lingering doubts in their mind or else they might just tune me out completely. I agree the doctor should be required to explain and show evidence for his treatment method, but the unfortunate reality is that we live in a society that more heavily endorses trusting in professionals implicitly rather than taking their advice with some healthy critical skepticism. Even though I’m a biomedical student, it is still often very hard to have friends take my advice seriously while competing against doctors :/

12. CA says:

Dr Davis,

I have severely reduced my wheat intake – almost eliminated and have been experiencing some very unpleasant effects. Constipation, nausea, mood swings, cold sweats, sore throat, ear ache and stomach acid. Are these possible connected with the wheat reduction in my diet? How long should I expect to live with these unpleasant symptoms. Any suggestions ? Thanks

13. John says:

Dr. Davis – I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome 6 or 7 years ago and loaded up on statins and blood pressure meds. I was advised to adopt a Mediterranean (or South Beach) diet reducing or eliminating most simple carbs but eating a bunch of “healthy whole grains!” My weight would fluctuate a lot depending on my levels of carb ingestion. After a recent spike, I got disgusted and decided to go wheat free after hearing about Wheat Belly on The O’Reilly Factor. Other than a one-time slip up with Boboli Whole Wheat pizza, I’ve done well for the 4 1/2 weeks of my new life. My wife has joined me, also, since she has severe joint pain and carries more weight than she needs to. We cleaned out our pantry a few days ago and have loaded up on cheeses, eggs, olives, nuts, vegetables, and meats. We’re both feeling better and losing weight. My one question right now relates to alcohol. I just got the book about a week ago and finished it yesterday. Most excellent. You mentioned red wine as the best option, which I will do most of the time. One site related to glutens said that the glutens in Scotch Whiskey are removed during the distillation process. In your opinion, should Scotch be avoided anyway? Thanks for your extremely anti-establishment work!

14. Cheryle P says:

Thanks Dr. Davis!
    I am one month wheat/grain free and I cannot believe the difference. I was diagnosed with a slight wheat allergy in 1987 and gluten sensitivity about 5 yrs ago but it took your book to make it all make sense to me. I had weight loss success with previous low carb diets, but I eventually gained it back. Tried the gluten free route several times but really gained weight. Then the light bulbs came on while reading your book.

Wheat/grain free living is giving me my life back. My fibromyalgia is 95% better, I sleep in 2-3 hour cycles now instead of 20 minutes, I wake up ready to face the day, my arthritis is so much better, my skin conditions (which would normally be headed for their worst due to lack of sun in the northeast) are improving, the problem I was having with a feeling that food was getting “caught” in my lower throat is totally gone, my blood pressure is very good, I’m not running to the bathroom constantly, and I’ve lost 12.5 pounds.

I find it very interesting that after the first 3-4 days it really has been effortless. I had a couple of headaches and my skin itched quite a bit the first week but after that no problems and none of those insane cravings that make you want to eat boxes of cookies! When ever I changed my eating before I always thought about when can I go back to eating normally……but now I know this is normal for me and I can never imagine going back to eating wheat, grains and/or sugars. It’s amazing that you don’t realize how bad you’ve felt until you start feeling well again!

So thanks again Dr. Davis for having the courage to write a book that goes against so much what is considered to be healthy by so many. Looking forward to shedding the rest of the pounds and to feeling better and better.
    Cherye P

That’s terrific, Cherye!

Yes, many of us have toyed with these ideas, but never fully understanding what it was you were experiencing. Yet the answers are truly simple.

15. Betty says:

Read your latest book on my ereader. I was intrigued by it. Pre-ordered your cookbook right away. I have been making and eating the recipes and have enjoyed each one I’ve tried so far. I have even lost about 4 pounds.

16. Karen says:

I am just getting started on your book so maybe this will be covered. Can you explain why vegetarians that do eat their veggies but also lots of bread and pasta are slim?

Perhaps you know a few slender vegetarians, Karen. But there are plenty of overweight ones, too.

And note that this is not just about weight. It is about the transformations of health that develop with elimination of modern wheat, the creation of genetics research, effects that extend from head to toe.

17. Shelia says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    I started a no wheat diet on January 1st. I have dropped 4 lbs so far. YAY! . not felling great yet, I have only been eating scrambled eggs with cheese, pistachios, tangerines, and one banana. Is that okay? I will be trying a few more things, but I love being able to Finally lose some of “menopause weight” without exercising with pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia. I couldn’t lose before, even with exercising. But I wish that I could have more energy can you suggest what to add for that. Although energy was the reason that I could not follow the Atkins diet plan, this is slightly better but still hard to get off the couch and move around, feel like I have lost blood.. I have had low iron, and my blood pressure ed seems to stay uh around 116/ 69 – 120/ 70 .
    Thank you and Happy New year!
    I think with your help I will have a great year! :)

18. Rhonda Davis says:

I LOVE the Wheat Belly Book and very easily lost 26 pounds. Thank you. I am wondering if it is ok to be on a plant based diet and give up the following: Wheat, Oil, Meat, Fowl, Fish? I just think it will be healthier. Could you comment on this Dr. Davis? I want to be a Vegan and also Wheat Free.

Rhonda

19. Brenda Sitter says:

Is there a “safe” mayonaisse or salad dressing to mix with fish and other meat to make a delicious salad?
    On 11/16/12 Kay asked for a focaccia flatbread recipe, and Dr. Davis responded her to “Search for the focaccia flatbread recipe on this blogi.” I looked for the focaccia flatbread recipe by search on this blog and it came out they found no results for this like. I would love to have this recipe. Could it be posted here or where should I be looking for it since it wasn’t found on this blog. I’ve ordered a “Wheat Belly Cookbook” and was wondering if this recipe is in it?

20. Brenda Sitter says:

Is there a place anywhere that lists all the “don’t eat” ingredients that we can watch for as in the ingredients of foods, supplements, etc. that may have wheat but uses another name?
    Today I was looking at the ingredients for my No Sugar Added Sweet Relish which uses Splenda to sweeten it. Some of the ingredients I was wondering about were Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), calcium chloride, alum, natural flavors, polysorbate 80, and yellow 5. Would any of these cause a problem with the Wheat Belly program?
    If there isn’t a list started, it would be so helpful if one would be available alphabetized so that we could print it and carry it around to check ingredients on products. I was hoping to start a list of AVOIDS to carry when I go shopping.
    Looking forward to hearing your opinion on these questions. Thanks!