Featured Articles

Triticum Fever in BoingBoing

The Atlantic interview: Your Addiction to Wheat Products is Making You Fat and Unhealthy

Health Goes Strong interview

Macleans Magazine (largest circulation magazine in Canada) Wheat Belly interview

ABC Health article

Interview with Tom Naughton, filmmaker of movie, Fat Head, comedian, and insightful, incisive commentator on nutrition. Part 2 of the interview.

How wheat wrecks your health and physique interview in Bodybuilding.com with Editor-in-Chief, Jeff O’Connell, also author of Sugar Nation

Woman’s World front page article: MD’s Discovery: Lose 30 Pounds in 30 Days!

Life Extension Magazine, October 2011. Wheat: The Unhealthy Grain. An excerpt from Wheat Belly. (Links to come in future.)

617 Responses to Featured Articles

1. Darlene says:

Dr Davis,
    My husband & I read your book & have been wheat-free for2+ months now. I have to say that though we intend to continue w/this, neither of us has seen much of a change. I am post-menopausal, so I figure that could account for my not losing any weight yet, tho I am quite active. My main concern is my husband, age 57, who has had IBS for 30+ yrs now. (mainly constipation) Just before we began our wheat-free journey, he had a bout of constipation & stomach cramps that has not been relieved by the new diet. He had a CT scan of his abdomen recently, which showed everything ok, except for a lg amount of fecal matter in his colon. The gastro dr has him on psyllium (Konsyl) 2x a day, & Miralax which he is supposed to “tweak” till he finds the right combination to keep himself regular, & hopefully the cramping/constipation will be alleviated. How does this sound to you? His stomach also looks quite bloated, which I also hoped would disappear on the wheat-free diet. He is also on metoclopramide 5mg for muscle(stomach) spasms. I just feel there is something else going on & am discouraged when I read of others whose IBS has disappeared since being wheat-free. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Eliminating wheat is powerful, Darlene, but it cannot undo many other health conditions nor fully unravel the mess initially created by wheat.

While an intelligent and thorough evaluation may be required, my initial thoughts are that your husband is struggling with his transition to healthy bowel flora, a situation commonly addressed by taking a high-potency probiotic, 50 billion CFUs per day, for two months or so. There can be other issues, such as inadequate pancreatic enzyme production, but the probiotic/bowel flora issue is worth tackling first.

Also, be aware of the incredible number of people who have thyroid dysfunction that is not corrected with wheat elimination. I will be posting a blog post on these issues near future.

• Kathi says:

Darlene,
        I agree with Dr. Davis regarding healthy gut flora. Your husband should definitely take probiotics daily. I can stress enough how much this has helped me. I was diagnosed with IBS years and years ago and wasn’t given any idea of how to go about managing it. I was given a prescription drug to help but only could take it for a short time. Now years later, I have realized if I elminate dairy it helps, but I can tolerate smaller amounts if I am taking probiotics. I did a few months ago give up wheat after reding Wheat Belly. I re-introduced and wheat to see how it affected me and quickly began having the same symptoms of: cravings for sugar, carbs, soda, and more. I am tired all the time, have frequent headaches, joint pain (more so now than before), trouble sleeping at night. So here I am back to starting point and realizing I have to forgo wheat. But I will not forgo my probiotics! Good luck with your husband, I have been there and it’s not fun. I used to be scared to go on extend trips or be away from home for long. I have even missed work due to my stomach issues. Not any more!!

• Darlene says:

Thanks for your feedback. He is starting on the probiotics. We also started using almond milk in our a.m. blender drinks instead of cow’s milk. He doesn’t have a whole lot of milk, but we’re cutting it out to see if it makes a difference.

• Darlene says:

Dr Davis, I appreciate the info you gave me above. My husband has been taking the probiotic for about 2 mths now; his bowels are not what I’d call “normal”, but he has seen some improvement. We’re wondering about maintenance now. Would you suggest he still take it daily, or?? Thanks for your time & happy new year.

• PM says:

Your husband might investigate the FODMAPS diet…sounds strange, but is really helping me. Unfortunately, it means avoiding more than just wheat..there are fermentable saccharides in not only wheat but dairy and many fruits and vegetables. I can see a big difference in my IBS symptoms when I limit these foods. Best wishes to you.

2. Joanne Jurjens says:

I am 62 years old. I’ve been wheat free for 4 weeks and have not had any weight loss. I also have health issues that don’t seem any better. I’m scheduled for a neuclear stress test in November for shortness of breath. CHF has been ruled out and EKG was ok, but am still on heart medication with a 25% blockage in one artery from the test 3 years ago. I’m not sleeping any better and my belly is still large. I’m a lifetime weight watcher member and need to lose 10-15 lbs. My friend wants me to ditch all the non-gluten diet and go back to weight watchers. It is tempting, but I wasn’t losing on that now either. Thyroid is hyperactive, so thyroid med has been cut in half. I feel like maybe my “mushy” brain is starting to get better, but I’m really discouraged. I’ve also been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia, but no blood sugar problems.
    I feel like it is too soon to quit the wheat free diet. What do I do. I want to lose at least 10 lbs and be able to give up a lot of the medication I am on.
    Please send an answer to my E-Mail address. I’m working a lot and don’t always have time to be on the internet.

3. Joanne says:

I need to know if I stay on the no wheat diet, will I start losing weight and the other conditions will get better like the book says.

4. Antje says:

Hi Dr.Davis,
    My question is: is there a german version of your book? I would love to send a couple of books as a Christmas present to all my friends in germany.

It is currently being translated. I just had to provide some recipes better suited to the German lifestyle for this edition.

5. antje says:

Thank you Dr. Davies, will you let us know, when the book is available?
    Also the German title. Thank you for your prompt respond.

6. antje says:

Thank you Dr. Davis,
    please let me know, when the book is available.
    Also the german title.
    Thank you again for your prompt respond.

7. Gina says:

Hello Dr. Davis,
    I hope all is well with you. My question I have for you is for people who are into fitness who are not wanting to lose weight would this be a something I would need to impliment into my life. I do not need to drop weight just maintain. I also want to keep my muscle mass. So please let me know. As a personal trainer who workout 4 times a week and does cardio and weights. I need no weight loss.

8. Julia says:

Hello Dr.Davis,

I am a nutrition and dietetic student an NIU; not to far from you in WI. I was wandering around the university book store and found a copy of your book 30% off may I add. Although I would have liked to purchase the book at the time I did not have the required funds but I got a nice preview of your book in the store.

As a nutrition student and future RD and researcher in the field of molecular nutrition I hope to give sound advice to my clients, advice with supporting evidence.

So the old saying is true “Its not what you eat , but what you don’t eat.” Personally, I cut out the wheat the day I looked at the title of the book. I have been on a quest to lose that last 2.2 kg of body fat that I need to lose. I cut out the wheat and it worked. Sure other factors have to be accounted and no additional exercise was included. I jumped on the scale today and I was 1.8 kg (4 lbs) lighter. My appetite has been very good I don’t eat as much and I have been avoided the sweets, even though I am exposed to them constantly as I have a meal plan that allows all you can eat all the time.

I would like to thank you for writing the book and posting on you blog. I would like to further investigate the studies on wheat and it potential to harm the human body. You have sparked my interest and I hope to tell others the good news and I will buy the book as soon as a scrap up some pennies.

9. CLB says:

I am just starting the wheatbelly diet so no results to report. I have no thyroid..it was removed due to goiter along with 3 of my parathyroids in 2008. Needless to say this has messed my system up. I hope you address the thyroid issues soon and wanted to say that natural thyroid that contains T3 and T4 is the only thing that helps many of us but doctors still prescribe synthroid. Also vit D depletion is common. I hope you will include those in your discussion as well. There’s a website called Stopthethyroidmadness.com that goes into much more detail. Those of us with little or no thyroid need all the help we can get. I hope the diet works for me.

The diet will work but it will not achieve weight loss unless you address the T3 thyroid hormone. If you are taking Synthroid/levothyroxine, fire your doctor and find one that will assess/prescribe for you.

• CLB says:

Thanks for the reply..I do take natural thyroid (with T3/T4)..it’s hard to find doctors who will prescribe it though. Will update when I am further into the diet..made it through the first day!

• Maria says:

I take synthroid/levothyrozine. What do you suggest to take in replacement of this medication?
        Maria

Armour thyroid, Naturethroid, or add liothyronine to the levothyroxine.

It is really very simple, but miserably neglected.

• Celeste says:

Dear Dr. Davis,

I’ve been wheat- and grain-free for 2 months. I’ve lost 12 of the necessary 80 pounds. Fybromalgia pain is greatly reduced. Cravings disappeared within days. I have been working with a wonderful nurse practitioner, who has been monitoring my thyroid for 3 years. This summer, we thought we finally found the right combination and dosage of natural T3/T4. About 2 weeks into the wheat- and grain-free (and crappy carb-free and diet soda-free) lifestyle, brain fog, sleepiness, and most recently, elevated blood pressure have become issues. I am so happy with the improvements I’ve had, I been putting up with the fogginess and sleepiness. The rising BP got my attention, so I have made an appointment to see my nurse. I am thinking that my gut and systemic inflammation havbe been improved to the point that I was over-dosing on my hormone replacement. I stopped taking the thyroid supplement (I know, I know) 4 days ago, and my daily BP is reduced by 10 on the top and 5 on the bottom. I would love to hear your thoughts on the speed with which wheat elimination will alter body chemistry and how to manage our current medicines.

Wheat elimination, Celeste, can work within 48 hours to start making substantial changes.

While improved absorption of your hormones is one possibility, another is that the flood of fatty acids into the bloodstream that accompanies weight loss may induced temporarily increased BP, as well as blood sugar, triglycerides, and reduced HDL. This is all transient and will improve about 4-8 weeks after weight loss subsides.

10. Russ Gullotti says:

Dr Davis,

Please comment on what effect you think the Wheat Belly diet will have on my INR/pro time tests.

I take warfarin for a blood clotting ailment. My INR dropped to levels below acceptable once I went on the diet so, now I take more warfarin. Don’t like that. Is the diet related to the INR drop?

Russ Gullotti

It may indeed, Russ, since healthy foods, such as spinach, kale, cheese, and meats, can be rich sources of both vitamin K1 and K2. Thus, the need for higher doses of warfarin.

I tell my patients that I think it is a bad idea to sacrifice overall health for the sake of a lower dose of warfarin. Eat healthy vitamin K-rich foods and compromise with need for a somewhat higher dose of warfarin, provided you are reasonably consistent with intake of greens every day to prevent wide fluctuations in INR.

To my knowledge, there is nothing intrinsically bad about higher doses of warfarin, provided INR remains within desired range.

11. Henry says:

My question is: Is a bread made out of Kamut (Khorasan) wheat healthy? What about einkorn, or emmer?

They are healthier than modern wheat. But I do not believe they are part of an ideal diet.

Judging from the fossil record and the reconstruction of human remains, the incorporation of any form of wheat, einkorn and onwards, was associated with a downturn in health, particularly of dental and bone health (as these are the most confident, judging from the remains of ancient Homo sapiens).

12. Jean Davies says:

Hello Dr Davis The Wheat Belly Book and the wheat free diet have saved my life, or at least quality of life. Thankyou. I read the book and saw myself and my future. Bleak. I was walking like an MS patient step by step telling my feet what to do. No connection between my brain and feet. Staggering no balance. My husband would help me out of bed in the morning, stand me up and hold me until I regained some balance. Then I would walk slowly to the kitchen, holding furniture and walls. Stand for a minute or two and have to sit down.
    Terrible nerve pain in my legs and feet. Felt like the pain was right in the bones. Was prescribed Lyrica in higher and higher doses. Just made me feel sick and gain more weight. Then I was left with taking Tylenol and Advil in the maximum doses. Worrying about the side effects. But what else to do? My physician sent me to a spinal surgeon I have degenerating discs in my lower spine. He said I have spinal stenosis and needed fusion and laminectomies. He would fix my nerves while he was in there pulling them away from spine. Scary thought.
    Then I heard about the Wheat Belly book, read it and went wheat free. Two months later all my inflammation is gone, periphial nerve pain gone, IBS gone, sleeping in the afternoon gone, feeling like I was developing old lady incontinence gone. I have more energy and my health back. My pain is about 75% relieved. Lost a size in my clothes and can walk again. Very little problem with my back. This is wonderful and I will never eat that poison called Wheat again. Again Dr. Davis Thankyou.

13. Karen says:

My daughter and I were both diagnosed in infancy as having Hirschsprung’s Disease. Over 3/4 of my colon was removed and my daughter had all of her colon removed. I am curious as to how this might impact how our bodies react to wheat. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Not sure, Karen, except that, given your probable touchy digestion, I cannot conceive of anything that would be better for intestinal health than losing the wheat.

14. Jaye says:

Dr Davis,
    I have purchased your book and am a few chapters into it. I’ve been attempting to cut wheat from my diet to see what difference it might make (I’m 51 and would like to lose 15-20 lbs and stop feeling so tired all the time). I’ve been eating Silver Hills breads occasionally (because I love bread!) as the packaging says “no gmo ingredients”. I assumed this meant no modern wheat, but I have finally gotten around to visiting their website which, again, claims “no gmo” and even provides a link to the GMO project. I was surprised to learn that wheat is NOT on the list at the GMO Project for genetically modified foods! This means that, while Silver Hills Bakery claim to use no genetically modified ingredients, the (sprouted) wheat they are using in their products is in compliance with the GMO Project because wheat isn’t considered to be gmo! To whit:
    “There is not currently, nor has there ever been, any genetically engineered wheat on the market. Of all “low-risk” crops, this is the one most commonly (and incorrectly) assumed to be GMO. It is a key commodity crop, and the biotech industry is pushing hard to bring GMO varieties to market. The Non-GMO Project closely watches all development on this front.”
    WTF? What gives here? What is the truth? If you’re right, how can they get away with saying this?

They’re playing with words, Jaye.

They are correct: No wheat on the market has been genetically-modified.

Instead, the techniques used to change wheat pre-date genetic modification: techniques that were crude, imprecise, unpredictable . . . WORSE than genetic modification. Yet these products have been on market shelves for 25 years.

15. Jaye says:

Aha. I wrote to the company to ask whether they had any ancient grains products, she recommended the “Kings Bread” with khorasan wheat. When I checked it out, though, they had also added “vital wheat gluten” to the mix! Surely this defeats the purpose of choosing an ancient grain?! At least, for me.
    So is there no hope, Dr Davis? Must I really give up all wheat forever?
    I have to say the recipe for almond crust pie looks good… I will have to try to find the time. Thanks for yours. : )

Typical of the shenanigans of the wheat industry, Jaye.

My advice: You are FAR better off with NO wheat in any form. Any what in any form can only represent a compromise.

16. Teresa says:

I have just bought your book today.
    I am a little confused about the thyroid issue.
    I’ve been on medication for hypothyroidism since I was 10.
    I am now 51. My dose is .150mg synthroid. Should I change my dose? or subscription to include the T3 part
    which you said is needed to lose weight.
    I want to eliminate wheat to hopefully help my stomach ailments and joint pain and lose weight.
    I’ve had a MSG sensitivity for many years. If I have it I have almost instant diarrhea.
    Is MSG related to wheat sensitivity?
    Thank you in advance.

17. Mike S says:

Started the Wheat free diet back in July by the advice of my new orthopedic doctor. so far almost 30 lbs gone….
    14 years ago at 37 I had a Stent in my LAD (98% blocked), I beat the man there. Lost 40 lbs on basically the Ornish diet, 4 years later of having LDL reading in the low 80′s, HDL in the 30′s, I was back for a major blockage of 90%+ in the top of my heart. They opted for 5 bypasses (I was 41). Stayed on a moderate diet, low fatt, lean meats, pastas and moderation. Have been on statins . a few years after the heart surgery. My back that was always an issue ( 3 broken vertebra at 19) went out of wack, Left leg was paralyzed and bowels stopped etc. They said I lost muscle tissue in my back and spine collapsed, it was statin related. My weight was back up a bit from no activity. A few more years later (5 years ago) my Achilles snapped. Again the statins beat me up but I was told I had to have them. Last summer I built a 1000 sq ft garage . Working at nites and weekings, roof, siding, electric, finishing etc etc. my 80 tear old dad was moving faster and pushing me to get it done. My Knees and legs hurt so bad, I eased up on statins a bit, lost 10lbs and felt a bit better, week before Christmas 2011 my Rt Knee popped, tendon behind knee, meniscus torn, acl torn,,, Local Ortho doc scoped it and said it is done, I need a new Knee, I opted some rehab to get by. Left knee then tore also but not as bad, I consulted he same doc, he said we need to do both, come back when ready. I got another opinon by a leading knee guy. same thing. From Easter til July I could not walk up or down stairs, i slid on my butt. I would eat 4-6 oxy’s a day to get thru work. Few people told me to see a doc who actually went to my hi school and was senior as i was a freshmen, i remember him as he was a great swimmer and I wrestled. Anyway he practiced out of my area but had a satellite local close enough so my insurance would pay. He sent me literature on Statin issues and Wheat to read while I waited a few weeks to get to see him. Well I figured what he hell. I ditched the statins and gave up pasta and Pizza as a startt, no morning pastry etc etc… In 3 weeks I noticed I was able to slowly walk up stairs and come down care. My wife went to Florida for 2 weeks, being so nervous that I was going to be able to get dressed in the morning (see did socks for years as my legs would not bend or my back) . Another 2 weeks, now it is august and wow I can do steps, I lost almost 10 solid pounds. Felt better , noticed I was not taking any narcotics. She came home and I proceeded down the stairs (21 of them) with my 2 Siberian Huskies on a leash, pulling all the way to meet her at the car, She was almost in tears and amazed. The following week I saw doctor Meade and my pain went from a 10 to a 4. He was pleased. He reran the MRI’s for comparison. I also saw my Famiy and heart doc the following week. They were not happy that I ditched the statins, well my blood work was the best I had in 10 years, total chol 137, sugar 107… was down 14 lbs since March .. Still they tried another cholesterol drug but did lower my blood pressure med since my resting heart rate was 37-40 and BP 115/72.. now it is 60 and BP is 127-130/74 with a half dose. I was at Doctor Meade this week for my Knees, NO PAIN, if I do a 5-6 hike in the woods then I get a bit of stiffness. I went from 294 lbs in Dec 11, to 256 now. My MRI’s show mild to moderate osteoarthritis instead of severe/crippling. ACL is healed, tendon is healing, Carllidge looks better i n left and stable in rt knee. Meade said well he will loose some vacation money sice I do not need reconstruction and improved my chances by atleast 5 years if I stay on the program, also narcotic free for months . If I drop another 20lbs he said I may make retirement on these knees with care.

No wheat diet if a tough choice, but I tried weight watcher (did a little) Nutra system( did a little) Ornish (almost killed me) LOL.. This worked for me, my business partner who is a cancer survivor has been on a similar eating path and had done well. This has been the easiest way to loose weight ever, I am active but do not beat myself 2-3 hours a day at gym or taking extra time to work out, I just walk alot, go back to hiking and going yard work at the house. my son said he has not seen be be this active since he was a little kid (23 now)

Wow, Mike: an incredible saga! I’d like to post your story as a blog post for others to see.

They especially need to hear just how destructive modern wheat can be in so many different ways.

18. Marjorie says:

Dr.Davis,
    I imagine you are familiar with paleo. I was wondering what your thoughts are on it. We have been on your wheat belly now since July nd are doing relly good weight and healthwise. We have looked at some of the Paleotable recipes and have a concern with some of the ingredients, so were wondering about paleo.

The Paleo concept, while it varies widely depending on interpretation, has tended to drift towards incorporating sweeteners like honey and maple syrup. While many of my friends are Paleo people and the diet advocated her overlaps substantially with the Paleo concept, I disagree with this aspect.

Nonetheless, the Paleo cookbooks are excellent starting places for good recipe ideas. Just watch the sweeteners.

19. Katie Hill says:

I’m excited about the diet plan, but I have a specific question about eating before exercising. Generally the idea is that you ‘carb up’ before certain activities, like playing sports or running long distances. My concern is what to eat in place of this. I like to wake up early and run, and normally I would eat about 200 calories of carbs, like granola or cereal, and some fruit immediately after waking up and then run about 30 minutes later. I’m definitely excited about incorporating more eggs and cheese into my diet, but these aren’t ideal foods to eat before running. Do you have specific recommendations for eating before this type of exercise or even during?

Thank you for your time and consideration,
    Katie

• James says:

Hi Katie,

As hard to believe as it can be, now that I am keto-adapted after 6 weeks going grain free / low carb / high fat, I actually don’t need to eat anything before exercising. It even happens so that I had actually been fasting for many hours (lately 24 hours before an intense one hour bike ride) with no cravings at all during and after the effort. Note that the meal I had when I felt hungry post-effort was substantial :)

So if you are already keto-adapted, let your hunger be your guide :)

J.

Well said, James!

Hunger takes on an entirely new face and character when it reverts back to that of indicating need, not under the perverse influence of the opiate gliadin from wheat.

• James says:

Thanks Dr Davis.

I just saw your talk on the low carb experts cruise (youtube video segments). Very well done! And other speakers were also fascinating (even while comical like this British fellow – Briffa is his name I think …).

Yes: As James points out, you have fallen into a trap of unhealthy carb loading that 1) causes conditions like diabetes, hypertension, dementia, heart disease, and cancer, and 2) it is helpful only when you are dependent on carbs.

It becomes no longer necessary when, as James has done, you are no longer reliant on a constant flow of sugar to exercise and function. Humans require NO such carb loading effort. You should view yourself as the primitive unwashed human who can grab her weapon and chase down a wild animal, never stopping for food or water, and run for hours until you exhaust your prey. There are no granola or energy bars or Goo in this setting.

• James says:

Katie,

I just found a nice article for you about keto-adaptation:

Read it and see if you want to try this out. Don’t exercise full blast during the 2-3 weeks of adaptation, wait until your body is generating enough ketones. You will now by trying a few work-outs and how you feel consequently. But in the end, since you enjoy running, this is the ticket for almost endless energy without hunger disturbance! Make sure you’ll eat plenty of fat during meals, that’ll be your new fuel!