About the Author

Who had the audacity to write such an against-the-grain book exposing “healthy whole grains” for the incredibly destructive genetic monsters they’ve become?

That’s me, Dr. William Davis, cardiologist and seeker-of-truth in health. Over 80% of the people I meet today are pre-diabetic or diabetic. In an effort to reduce blood sugar, I asked patients to remove all wheat products from their diet based on the simple fact that, with few exceptions, foods made of wheat flour raise blood sugar higher than nearly all other foods. Yes, that’s true for even whole grains. More than table sugar, more than a Snickers bar. Organic, multigrain, sprouted–it makes no difference.

People returned several months later and did indeed show lower blood sugar, often sufficient for pre-diabetics to be non-prediabetics. But it was the other results they described that took me by surprise: weight loss of 25 to 30 lbs over several months, marked improvement or total relief from arthritis, improvement in asthma sufficient to chuck 2 or 3 inhalers, complete relief from acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, disappearance of leg swelling and numbness. Most reported increased mental clarity, deeper sleep, and more stable moods and emotions. I witnessed even more incredible experiences like the 26-year old man incapacitated by full-body joint pains who started to jog again, pain-free. And the 38-year old schoolteacher who, just weeks before her surgeon scheduled colon removal and ileostomy bag, experienced cure–cure–from ulcerative colitis and intestinal hemorrhage–and stopped all medications. That’s when I knew that I had to broadcast this message. Wheat Belly was the result.

I’m not promoting drugs, fancy medical procedures, or costly equipment. I’m not promoting a process that makes a pharmaceutical company rich or helps a hospital gain more revenue-producing procedures. I’m talking about a simple change in diet that yields incredible and unexpected health benefits in so many more ways than you’d think. And it’s not just about celiac disease, the destructive intestinal disease from wheat gluten that affects 1% of the population. It’s about all the other destructive health effects of wheat consumption, from arthritis to acid reflux to schizophrenia, caused or made worse by this food we are advised to eat more of. It’s about being set free from the peculiar appetite-stimulating effects of the opiate-like compounds unique to wheat. It’s also about losing weight–10, 20, or 30 pounds is often just the start–all from this thing I call wheat belly. The key to understanding wheat’s undesirable effects is to recognize that the total effect on human health is greater than the sum of its parts.

In addition to writing, speaking, and practicing preventive cardiology in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I am Medical Director and founder of the Track Your Plaque program for heart disease prevention and reversal. This program was articulated in the book, Track Your Plaque: The only heart disease prevention program that shows how to use the new heart scans to detect, track, and control coronary plaque, as well as the online program by the same name (www.trackyourplaque.com). Wheat elimination along with the nutritional principles articulated in Wheat Belly serve as the cornerstone of my heart disease prevention efforts used in the Track Your Plaque program, as well.

While I’m not writing or cooking my unique wheat-free recipes, I can be found biking, sampling wines with my wife or competing with the boys on XBox, walking my two Boston terriers, or watching my tennis pro daughter, Lauren Davis, in her tennis matches around the world.

1,645 Responses to About the Author

1. Dear College,
    I am a danish GP. I have read your book i swedish. Can we have a danish translation. I would like to give your book to my patients.
    Kind Regards
    Flemming Hansen

• Neicee says:

I read that yesterday morning and burst out laughing. They only addressed the issues of white bread and recommended whole wheat instead in the article I read. I’m guessing they’ll try to target a singular group of people that may be unable to eat certain things instead of placing the blame on all the culprits in the wheat group which targets everyone. We’ll see….

2. Barbara in New Jersey says:

Not being one to push my WB philosophy on people I meet, I let them ask about my lost weight, wonderful skin, high energy level, etc. I am finding that more people are influenced to at least look at your book and this blog.
    Ah, the price of success!

Would it be possible to expand the Comments Category to include perhaps another 5 or more recent postings? I find that I am missing many useful and informative posts when I am not able to be constantly checking.

Hi, Barbara–

I believe this blog could use a number of useful updates to make it more user-friendly!

Because we are in the process of assembling the website and programs for the Wheat Belly Lifestyle Institute, which will involve some changes to this blog, I’ve chosen to postpone making any improvements until the program launches. So stay tuned!

> … postpone making any improvements until the program launches.

You might at least put up a left column link to WFMF …

… unless they have a stream of new products coming that would make for a stream of new articles.

3. Hilda Ramirez says:

I first saw your book on display at the Blum Center for Health in NY last Fall. It captured my attention but I did not read it until about 2 months ago. It has changed my life! I was diagnosed with PBC last year and became obsessed with finding ways to lower the level of inflammation in my body, in hopes of keeping my immune system in check. I had been struggling with a strange rash and chest tightness whenever I tried to exercise vigorously. This was preventing me from working towards some of my health goals. Thanks to your book, I was made aware of WDEIA. The name immediately caught my eye and after reading about it some more I decided to give gluten-free a try for 3 days before my next exercise class. Lo and behold, no itchy rash, no exercise-induced asthma. Now nearly two months later I have been able to throw away the inhaler and have not seen any strange skin rashes again. Who knows all the havoc that gluten was creating in my body? I was definitely having some kind of immune response to it. My peace of mind has increased a thousand fold because now I feel that I am doing the most I can to help protect my liver.
    Thanks so much for getting this information out there!!

4. Kelli Canniff says:

Dear Dr Davis,

First off, I just have to thank you from the very bottom of my heart for changing not only my life, but the lives of my husband and children with the information you have made readily available in Wheat Belly. I’m sure my story parallels so many others’ success stories, so I’ll spare you the details of that at this time.

I really really want to be able to communicate with you directly, as I have come up with some very exciting recipes/food items in my kitchen that you might have some interest in! A gluten/grain/refined sugar free cereal mix(think instant oatmeal but WAYYYY healthier amd without the starches). A pancake/waffle mix that fits the same description. Even homemade chocolate, homemade caramel NOT sweetened with honey, agave, stevia, refined white or brown sugar!!! I am overflowing with ideas and I pray that you’ll contact me! Best of all, I live in Milwaukee! You can contact me at kellicanniff@gmail.com . Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Hi, Kelli–

They sound wonderful!

The best ways to do this are to post recipes/comments here, or as a Private Message on the Wheat Belly Facebook page if you’d like to keep it private.

5. Derk says:

Dear dr. Davis,

I have just read http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/celiacdiseasefaqs/f/Genetically-Modified-Wheat.htm

They say it can’t be the genetic modified wheat because it has never been commercially sold.
    Maybe you do have a point that too much wheat is not good for a human though.
    What are your thoughts about this?

Regards,

Derk

This reflects the poor understanding of the issues that is oddly unique to the gluten-free community.

NO wheat is “genetically modified,” i.e., the product of gene splicing techniques to insert or delete a gene. Modern wheat is the result of repetitive hybridizations, backcrossings, matings with foreign grasses, and mutagenesis–chemical, x-ray, gamma ray and ultraviolent induction of mutations, techniques that are crude, uncontrolled, and often WORSE than genetic modification.

6. joanelle says:

I noticed on another site that folks talked about using eihkorn flour to make their own bread. Wouldn’t this create the same affect?

7. Pierre Bonte says:

Dear Dr Davis
    I almost died because i broke my back after I had a seizure. After talking to doctors and specialists, we found out that the seizures happened after eating white bread and spaghetti. My kidney’s became blocked and I got neurotic attacks. So the food that everyone considered safe, helped ruining my health and a big part of my life.
    My question to you is: Does there still exist a kind of flower, bread or spaghetti that’s 200% real. Because the food market appears to be destroyed, and I don’t trust the products they’re selling me anymore. I ask this in concern of my health and the ones around me…

I look forward to hearing from you
    aplus Pierre

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Hello Pierre,

There are lots of recipes for almond and coconut flour breads, etc. on this blog, in Dr. D’s Cookbook and on many paleo internet sites that might interest you. Right now, there aren’t any ready made items for bread that are approved. You have to make it yourself. For pasta, Dr. D. recommends a konjac root product called shirataki noodles. Not the pasta we are familiar with, more like Asian cellophane noodles, BUT, at least it is something you can put sauce on. Your local supermarket might sell them near the tofu items or you can order Miracle Noodles on their internet site. Wheat Free Market Foods is just starting up and is selling cookies right now. Their recipes were developed with Dr. D’s help so you know that any item will be made with WB approved ingredients.

Also, after your horrible experience, you might want to take probiotics to improve you intestinal flora and also the supplements Dr. D. recommends. 48+ oz. of liquids daily too if your kidneys can handle it.

Probably reading this blog site will be the best thing you can do for yourself. Lots of good info and helpful hints. Most of us are here because of lifelong health problems that wheat has caused.

Wishing you a successful return to health.

• Pierre Bonte says:

Hellow Barbara,thanks for Your reaction and the comming days i well spend time to visit more web sites to find good hints,thanks and i wishing you all the best and a good health,hug Pierre

8. Janaki says:

I just discovered your book, and am still reading it with amazement. To think that such a simple thing as leaving out wheat can have such far reaching effects. Even after not having had wheat for 1 day, my belly and stomach are flatter. I have a question: What about sprouted wheat bread?
    thanks for writing this great book,
    Janaki

9. Carol Coppens says:

I came across your book less than 1 week ago, bought it immediately, read it in one day and was/am stunned by the information contained in it. Thank you for your interest in this subject and for informing me on something I have never, in my 59 years, had reason to question. I’ve had rheumatoid arthritis for 7 years and though I have lately been able to cut down my medications considerably, and voluntarily stopped all steroids 5 months ago, I find that my weight is still increasing (15 pounds in the last 1 1/2 years). Weight gain has never, ever been a problem for me before and the belly I was developing was beginning to truly bother me. Plus, my fatigue was increasing making daily living extra difficult. Your book came along at just the right time! I have been wheat free for 3 days now and already I am seeing the difference in my shape and energy level. A family member, who also has RA, recently told me he has been wheat free for 3 months and knows that he is definitely experiencing a reduction in his symptoms plus, he looks much trimmer and says he feels so much stronger. It will take time to convert my kitchen to wheat free but I began yesterday by purchasing the ingredients to make the basic bread, from the recipe in your cookbook. I haven’t been this excited to learn how to live healthier, ever before. God bless you for your continued efforts to show the damaging effects of eating wheat.

10. Susan says:

In your book, I do not find anything on hemp. Is it heart healthy?

Thank you!

11. Wendy Tsao says:

Hello Dr Davis,

I started a wheat free diet after I heard you speaking on CBC radio. Although I wasn’t overweight, I have always been concerned about inheriting my mother’s poor health (high blood pressure, diabetes, dementia). In just a few weeks, I lost 5 lbs and one noticeable change is I have stopped snoring (my husband is thrilled). I am aiming to get down to 130 lbs (46 yrs, 5’6 height) . I have been singing the praises of your book to my husband, brother and sister-in-law and hope they all soon read, learn, practice and achieve the benefits themselves. I have a lot of questions, but here are the two top ones and I hope you have the time to shoot me some quick answers:
    1) once I achieve my “ideal” weight, is it okay to go back to consuming wheat in controlled quantities, assuming I am good at “control” (otherwise, wouldn’t I just keep losing weight and risk being underweight?)
    2) you also include rice as a “no-no” food with its high GI, but I am Asian and wondering whether there are cultural exceptions, since I descend from generations of rice eaters ( since 8000-13000 yrs ago)?

> once I achieve my “ideal” weight, is it okay to go back to consuming wheat
      And if you do, don’t be surprised if the consequences look very much like food poisoning.
      Which is exactly what they are.

• James says:

Hello,

1) Don’t consume wheat. Your weight loss is a nice side effect but your overall health improvements (other than loss of bad weight like excess visceral fat) are far more important and wheat is not worth compromising any of your recovered health. You will probably feel miserable if you happen to consume after months without it and you will then truly understand that this is no food at all for humans.

2) Rice is one of the most benign grains. Is it healthy ? Well, white rice is mostly starch and unless you eat it with nutritious foods (fish, meat, bone broth, etc), it is not worth it unless you had a crazy workout prior to eating it, so intense that your muscle are craving for glycogen. Brown rice has more nutrition but also more antinutrition … so this also depends on whether you don’t mind compromising nutrient absorption to some extent. I also believe it has some toxin of some kind but I cannot remember precisely. So I would think it is not an ideal staple. Rice is a lot of empty calories which might make you miss far more nutritious foods. But once in a while, why not ? Of course, if your glucose metabolism is compromised (diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, etc), don’t eat it. I’d rather eat potatoes / sweet potatoes than rice: better nutritional profile.

12. Kelly Parrish says:

I have a question more than a comment please, as I read yor book I have a question as to what I should get rid of in my pantry, as you suggestion all the wheat, I don’t see any thing in your book as to what these products are, I like what you say and want to follow your suggestions as I am a Celiac and want to rid this from my body, so would like to know what foods I need to do away with, I would appreciate any info you can share with me Please, and thank you for it. My Thanks Kelly Parrish

• Dart says:

Read Appendix A in the Wheat Belly Book. It tells you the obvious and the not so obvious products containing wheat.. Read the ingredients.

13. Jenn says:

I just wanted to say thanks Dr. Davis, all this work has had a profound effect on my diet and I feel better than I ever have before!

14. Sofi Yazdi says:

I think your method of approaching weight loss if an eye opening. Gluten Free and Wheat free make sense that is why we have come up with a very unique healthy energy bar that I prey Dr. Davis to have a moment to browse through its website at EngageBars.com .
    I would love to speak with you if you can email me your address.

15. What is the variation between a custom-designed hair method
    and an “off-the-shelf” hair program. Area the cashmere sweater into
    a big Ziploc bag, press all the air out of the bag and seal securely, then
    place in the freezer for off season storage. You can have diverse cubbies for distinct skills — or distinct assignments — or each.

16. J Nicole says:

I recently learned of your book/website and I am so glad to have done so!
    I find your research and suggestions so interesting and surprising! I am a college student studying Nutrition and Dietetics, and you’re so right.. people are constantly told to incorporate more whole grains into their diets!
    As I don’t eat much wheat as it is, I look forward to trying a completely wheat-free diet!

A couple questions for you..
    What are your thoughts on soy and almond based products?
    Do you consume mostly fruits and vegetables? Meat or dairy?
    Do you suggest not eating any form of grain?

I look forward to getting positive results from my wheat-free diet!
    Thank you!

Much of what you ask about is covered in the book.
      In the meantime, see:

My take:
      Soy – fermented soy products in limited amounts, non-GMO.
      Almond – Essentially replaces wheat in the diet, but don’t go “nuts” with it.
      Fruits – mind the net carbs and focus on low-fructose.
      Meat – unlimited, focus on grass fed and finished, hormone- & antibiotic-free.
      Dairy – fermented (e.g. cheese) is safe for most people, but far from all.
      Grain – dump all the gluten-bearing grains. For the rest, it’s a matter of net carbs, which rules out most of them.

> I look forward to getting positive results from my wheat-free diet!

Not just WF. Also low carb high fat.
      Speaking of this, however, could get you excommunicated from dietician’s guild (or is that coven).

17. RachaelE says:

I read your book and completely enjoyed it. I have a very strong interest in being a dietitian and you present an interesting concept that I look forward to researching more. However, I have a question about your advice for completely cutting wheat from one’s diet. I am 18, 5 feet 9 inches and 125 lbs. I compete in 4-5 triathlons a year which I train for by swimming around 4,000 yds. 3x a week, riding my road bike 4-5 times a week for at least an hour, and then running 4-5 times for 3-5 miles. I eat very “healthily” never going out to eat, no sodas, and tons of fruit. Most of your advice seems to be directed towards those who are overweight and older. This is great because they need the fastest intervention; however, I was just wondering if I need to be as drastic or if I should just cut back on the pasta salad.
    Thanks I truly loved reading your book and would love to hear from you!
    Rachael

Well, note that many of the arguments I make have nothing to do with weight loss but have plenty to do with taking back control over your health. Wheat consumption, even in the absence of overweight, ruins health in so many ways.

Should you sacrifice health and develop an autoimmune condition or acid reflux to “allow” you to exercise at high levels? I don’t think so. And carb loading prior to an event is yet another common error.

How about some bananas, Gu, or baked sweet potatoes DURING your long-distance events?

18. Laura Fisher says:

Dear Dr. Davis,

Do you have any referral information for Dallas, Texas? I know a patient there (70-year-old female family member) with a carotid artery stenosis who has already undergone stent placement in one carotid and is about ready for a second carotid stent. I have tried searching the Internet for a cardiologist in Dallas who follows your protocol for plaque reduction and have had no success in finding anyone. I am familiar with the spiral-bound book you publish for patients but this is the kind of woman who will not do it herself.

Thank you very much for all you do to help patients in need.

Sincerely,

Laura Fisher

No, sorry, Laura.

This is emblematic of the “healthcare” system we have: It has NOTHING to do with health but lots to do with maximizing profit from disease.

Your best bet is to have your friend seek out a functional medicine practitioner or other open-minded, nutritionally-minded practitioner, who will know who the like-minded practitioners are in her area. Not perfect, but it generally provides a solid start.

19. Mary says:

I’m almost finished with your book and even though I knew a few years ago about the dismal state of our wheat (and general food supply), the info in your books is even more daunting than I expected, so thanks for throwing in some MUCH NEEDED levity as well! I know someone with Celiac d. who has a 21 yr. old son that has had muscle weakness, almost to the point of fatal on a number of occasions, since he was eight. That whole family has been GF for several years now, and she told me to consider going GF when my 13 yr. old son had three seizures (all in his sleep) within a 4 mo. period, last year. He’s now taking 250 mg of Levetiracetam, 2x daily (backed down from 500 during year one of this journey) and the seizures have not reappeared, but we’re holding our breath, of course. My GF friend suggested I have him tested via Enterolabs in TX and his test results are below. I haven’t gone GF yet, bec. when his condition arose, he was already dealing with many new issues at once and I didn’t want to add ANOTHER at that point. My GF friend told me that my pediatrician would have no response to the test results and she was basically correct. She said this type of info just makes no sense to most American physicians, but does more often with Drs. outside of the U.S. Can you provide some perspective for the test result # shown below? Simply knowing that “<10" is normal isn't much perspective. The lab would not say any more on the phone than is written there with the result. Now that I've read your book, our whole family may go GF anyway, and I've shared your books with MANY, who have in turn, bought & shared it with MANY. Thanks and God bless you for all those you have helped.

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test, Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 21 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units), Interpretation of Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: The level of intestinal
    anti-gliadin IgA antibody was elevated, indicative of active dietary
    gluten sensitivity. For optimal health; resolution or improvement of
    gluten-induced syndromes (mainly falling into six categories abbreviated
    as NAAAGS – neuropsychiatric, autoimmune, asthma, abdominal, glandular
    deficiencies/hyperactivity or skin diseases); resolution of symptoms
    known to be associated with gluten sensitivity (such as abdominal
    symptoms – pain, cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea and/or constipation,
    chronic headaches, chronic sinus congestion, depression, arthritis,
    chronic skin problems/rashes, fibromyalgia, and/or chronic fatigue); and
    prevention of small intestinal damage and malnutrition, osteoporosis,
    and damage to other tissues (like nerves, brain, joints, muscles,
    thyroid, pancreas, other glands, skin, liver, spleen, among others), it
    is recommended that you follow a strict and permanent gluten free diet.
    As gluten sensitivity is a genetic syndrome, you may want to have your
    relatives screened as well.

Hi, Mary–

It appears that your son expresses the IgA form of antibody against gliadin (a protein within gluten).

Problem: It is impossible to associate cause and effect, i.e., to determine with certainty that this IgA response is paralleled by a neurological process sufficient to cause seizures, e.g., calcification of the temporal lobe to create an epileptogenic focus.

My view: Given there is a POTENTIAL connection, and that wheat elimination yields such extravagant health benefits beyond elimination of seizures, there is NOTHING TO LOSE in trying. Worst case scenario: Your son enjoys otherwise excellent health but continued seizures. Best case scenario:” Your son enjoys otherwise excellent health with freedom from seizures.

I don’t believe there is any choice but wheat elimination. And, sadly, yes, my colleagues expose their incredible ignorance when it comes to nutritional issues. Inexcusable, unforgivable–so search for those few who actively seek natural, nutritional solutions whenever possible to find someone enlightened. There are a few.