About the Author

Who had the audacity to write such an against-the-grain book exposing “healthy whole grains” for the incredibly destructive genetic monsters they’ve become?

That’s me, Dr. William Davis, cardiologist and seeker-of-truth in health. Over 80% of the people I meet today are pre-diabetic or diabetic. In an effort to reduce blood sugar, I asked patients to remove all wheat products from their diet based on the simple fact that, with few exceptions, foods made of wheat flour raise blood sugar higher than nearly all other foods. Yes, that’s true for even whole grains. More than table sugar, more than a Snickers bar. Organic, multigrain, sprouted–it makes no difference.

People returned several months later and did indeed show lower blood sugar, often sufficient for pre-diabetics to be non-prediabetics. But it was the other results they described that took me by surprise: weight loss of 25 to 30 lbs over several months, marked improvement or total relief from arthritis, improvement in asthma sufficient to chuck 2 or 3 inhalers, complete relief from acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, disappearance of leg swelling and numbness. Most reported increased mental clarity, deeper sleep, and more stable moods and emotions. I witnessed even more incredible experiences like the 26-year old man incapacitated by full-body joint pains who started to jog again, pain-free. And the 38-year old schoolteacher who, just weeks before her surgeon scheduled colon removal and ileostomy bag, experienced cure–cure–from ulcerative colitis and intestinal hemorrhage–and stopped all medications. That’s when I knew that I had to broadcast this message. Wheat Belly was the result.

I’m not promoting drugs, fancy medical procedures, or costly equipment. I’m not promoting a process that makes a pharmaceutical company rich or helps a hospital gain more revenue-producing procedures. I’m talking about a simple change in diet that yields incredible and unexpected health benefits in so many more ways than you’d think. And it’s not just about celiac disease, the destructive intestinal disease from wheat gluten that affects 1% of the population. It’s about all the other destructive health effects of wheat consumption, from arthritis to acid reflux to schizophrenia, caused or made worse by this food we are advised to eat more of. It’s about being set free from the peculiar appetite-stimulating effects of the opiate-like compounds unique to wheat. It’s also about losing weight–10, 20, or 30 pounds is often just the start–all from this thing I call wheat belly. The key to understanding wheat’s undesirable effects is to recognize that the total effect on human health is greater than the sum of its parts.

In addition to writing, speaking, and practicing preventive cardiology in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I am Medical Director and founder of the Track Your Plaque program for heart disease prevention and reversal. This program was articulated in the book, Track Your Plaque: The only heart disease prevention program that shows how to use the new heart scans to detect, track, and control coronary plaque, as well as the online program by the same name (www.trackyourplaque.com). Wheat elimination along with the nutritional principles articulated in Wheat Belly serve as the cornerstone of my heart disease prevention efforts used in the Track Your Plaque program, as well.

While I’m not writing or cooking my unique wheat-free recipes, I can be found biking, sampling wines with my wife or competing with the boys on XBox, walking my two Boston terriers, or watching my tennis pro daughter, Lauren Davis, in her tennis matches around the world.

1,646 Responses to About the Author

1. Amy says:

Hello from across the pond…
    Thank you for a thought provactive book. I shall now start the journey to remove wheat frommy diet.

Thank you for all the recipes as well, I shall start experimenting today. I am curious as to if there are any instructions on how to cook/ bake with a regular oven? In the book it is about making the foods in a microwave. I have stopped using micros for several years now, due to the fact the food losses alot of it nutrition.

Sincerley, Amy

2. Rich Jackson says:

I am a 63 year old athlete! Yes you can be one at this age. I have run numerous marathons, triathlons including Iron distance, The Escape from Alcatraz triathlon which includes the notorious swim. I am also a second place winner of Mr. California for Ultra Masters this year. A couple of years ago I became extremely ill with symptoms so unusual that No physician could give me a diagnosis. Sounds scary! I happened to see a half page article on wheat and how it negatively affected you. I was consuming at least two loaves of bread a day in order to get carbs and calories in the body. I got rid of all products that contained wheat, gluten etc. I only ate food from then on with no label. Real food, meat poultry eggs nuts etc. All my symptoms rapidly disappeared, and my vitality returned as well as strength that I had not had before. My mental clarity has also improved .
    I am under the belief that eating wheat is a major health threat to myself as well as other people around me.
    The food pyramid is a recipe for disaster. The longer you are on wheat and the more you consume the worse conditions become! Stay away from this population poison.

RIch

3. Dave says:

I thought my “beer belly” started when I first started driving in high school. But then I remembered that I Really started getting the wheat belly about 6 months after I got out my appendix (around age 17). I had several infections after getting it out which finally went away, but COULD that have something to do with my body not processing wheat “as it had” for the previous 17 years?

Thanks,
    Dave

4. Carole says:

Hi! How do I know if wheat is the problem for my belly fat if I have none of the symptoms listed other the belly fat? Am I still considered sensitive to wheat BECAUSE of the belly fat? However, I AM on blood pressure meds,and Lipitor.

5. Lorraine says:

My husband and I are very pleased with becoming wheat free since we read Wheat Belly in August, 2012.
    Since my hubby is diabetic, we are very familiar with the use of Agave as sweetener and in baking, as it does not spike blood sugar. I’m curious why you haven’t any mention of this product.

Well, sorry, Lorraine: agave is poison.

It is 90% fructose, a very destructive sugar. It is many, many times worse than glucose and rapidly induces cataracts, visceral fat accumulation, diabetes, heart disease, and dementia. Very rapidly.

6. Bill Pickersgill says:

What a bunch of nonsense about grains theres a phrase grains are the staff of life nothing is more important than bread .The Bible says man does not live on bread alone, Christ said I am the bread of life, what about [Zech 9 :17 ] !!! no, the body main source of full is carbohydrates tha”ts a scientific fact not my opinion,thought etc !!! Theres so much nonsense, false information, that its unbelievable theres a saying, if its true its not knew and if its new its not true !!! Again nothing is more important than grains to the human body I am living proof thats all me and my dog eat . Again carbs are the body’s main source of fuel and bread is predominently a carbohydrate I implore every one not to listen to this nonsense. also your brain is fueled by carbohydrates and if one doesn’t get enough to there brain you wont think right and eventually go crazy!!! There’s anther old saying you’d bitch with a loaf of bread under your arm ,think about it, it means if you have bread you have everything don’t bitch!!!
    Sincerely
    Bill

• Tanya says:

Hmmm Dr. Davis did mention dementia resulting from wheat consumption on Dr. Oz! Judging from the multiple spelling & grammatical errors one might think BP was well on his way!

Oh and please provide evidence for your alleged “scientific fact” that carbs/grains are the main source of fuel for humans. And please explain how the Inuit survive nicely living on seal meat, seal fat, fatty fish, etc. and very very few carbs in sight, and those only at limited times of the year? Very few grain fields up there!

Oh and please ~ if you want to give yourself diabetes in a few years that’s your choice, but please do not do that to an innocent dog. All canines are meant to eat meat, and only meat! In the wild when would a dog/wolf eat grains? Perhaps in the stomach of the deer he’s eating, maybe. You are going to kill your dog. He may not get fat, but one day he will keel over from a heart attack. He is an innocent animal. Give him a choice ~ put down a bowl of fresh meat, and a bowl of grains. See what he chooses ~ he will choose what Mother Nature intends for him to eat. I feel sorry for your dog.

Oh and if that last saying is correct, maybe you’re bitching because of what Dr. Davis says: Bread makes you hungrier, so of course that loaf isn’t enough, you want a truckload of it!

• Joey says:

Wow. Quite a bit of hostility, there, Bill.

I just read Dr. Davis’s book, which is chock-full of scientific facts, undeniable statistics, his own personal experience with his thousands of patients, and the likely millions who have been positively impacted in every aspect of their personal health by removing wheat from their diets.

But I don’t need the book. I know how I feel. Every aspect of my health has improved, from my hormonal issues, to mental clarity, to losing that last ten pounds I couldn’t lose by running 5K every day.

So I’m sorry, Bill, but you’re just wrong. And I don’t tell people that they’re wrong very often.

• Bill says:

To Joey : please read what I Iast posted on dec 10 remember Atkins was a bloated man when he died from espousing no carbs he became dizzy one night in New York city fell and hit his head on the sidewalk and died I hope you take this small but very significant story to heart !

• Tanya says:

He slipped on some ice, fell & hit his head. Big difference. Could happen to anyone.

Your poor dog overweight, wheezy & diabetic yet?

BP > … also your brain is fueled by carbohydrates …
      Not quite, not only.

The brain can run on glucose from carbs (or from protein), or on ketone bodies from fat.

Many choosing to live in nutritional ketosis claim their brains works better on ketone bodies. You have to be very low carb for ketosis to kick in.

7. ryan says:

I developed a PVC heart condition ten years ago. Most episodes weren’t anything that could be ignored as I could feel my heart skip a beat and then pound really hard/rapidly afterward to make up the difference. My doctor told me there wasn’t a cure and that I should learn to live with it — and if it really bothered me, they could try treating it. However, I’m not a fan of taking pills and mask the problem. Then something amazing happened: Through a referral, I read the book and stopped eat wheat and all other grains last summer — I noticed that my PVCs went away but I didn’t start WB for that reason. But I’m just amazed that my PVCs are gone (as well as my belly!) and I don’t know what in the world connects wheat to the PVCs — but there’s a relationship….

• Lyndsey says:

Ryan, my husband had exactly the same experience as you.. He was so bothered by the episodes that on one occasion we ended up in the emergency room. He removed most wheat from his diet after reading the book – primarily after seeing a friend lose some weight on it. He didn’t even think about the PVCs, but realized that they were gone. If he ever eats wheat, the PVCs are back.

8. Bryan says:

Dr Davis,

I have heard a lot of my friend circles discuss this book recently, but I never actually took the time out to read it. Glad to say that I picked up a copy of this one today :) Looking forward to reading and introducing some of these methods to my clients.

Bryan

9. Rebecca Cook says:

Dr. Davis
    My name is Rebecca Cook, and you are now my new best friend. In 2003 I started my downward spiral of unexplained issues starting with Iritis. Even given pred forte for the inflammation it still continued to deteroriate. I developed Anterior Uvietis which eventually became Posterior. I also had for no apparent reason, developed peripheril neuropothy in both feet slowly rising upwards to my waistline. After about 4 months of that it had improved and i never new why. I also had numbness and the feeling of both my arms and hands falling asleep. Doctors, and several of those, have started the guessing game of is it Lupus, MS even Bchetz! And all tests came back negative. By 2009 was considered legally blind in my right eye due to the premature developement of cataracts. I say premature because at the time at the time I was only 47 years old. Eventually I had developed a cataract in the left eye as well. I did have surgery to remove the cataracts and because of the several years of inflammation, I also had a vitrectomy in both eyes. Now in my right I can see 20/40 and my left is 20/80. I still have a slight inflammation on the macula of the left eye. But now that I have discovered your book and have instilled your beliefs into my life that too is slowly disappearing as well as all my other issues.
    I would so much want to spread the word of your book. I cant wait for people to see what it has done for me. Feel free to use me. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!! I cant say it enough. May God bless you in many more ways than he already has.

10. Sandra says:

Hello Dr. Davis,

Very excited to have found and read your book. I am now going on week two of no wheat, as well as avoiding other nasty grains listed in the book. Feeling amazing, and my stomach is shrinking.

Just for clarification please, can you please answer whether you think it would be advisable for people who do not need lose any fat or weight, to cut all grains as well as wheat? For example you suggest that for those who are already diabetic or pre-diabetic, to be stringent and avoid the pit falls of foods that spike your blood sugars. I myself have 60 lbs to lose to reach my recommended BMI, and I realise that your book is not just about wheat elimination but also about maintaining a low GI diet. But a close family relative of mine, who is recovering from anorexia and bulimia, is now also following your wheat belly guidelines, and is being hyper restrictive of all carbs derived from grains period.

Is there a balance to be found in your book, based on each individuals needs and goals?

If I understand your question, Sandra, people who do NOT need to lose weight but wish to remove the health-destroying effects of wheat should not restrict calories: Eat more eggs, meats with the fat, eat the organs (e.g., liver, kidneys, skin), eat more nuts, seeds, olives and olive oil, etc.

In short, do not restrict calories. Eat more healthy, non-grain foods . . . galore!

11. Janet says:

What can I use instead of sugar to sweeten things with that are diabetic-friendly? And (whatever it is) is it safe during pregnancy?

I’m scared of Splenda, etc. because I know that even “natural” sweeteners have been chemically altered.

THANK YOU!
    Janet

Follow the recipes on this blog, Janet, and you will see that stevia, Truvia, erythritol and xylitol are our “go-to” sweeteners.

Lo han guo is proving helpful and safe, as well.

12. Sarah says:

Hi I’m wondering, as a vegetarian who relies primarily on whole grains, and has a sensitivity to dairy, if eliminating JUST wheat, while allowing other grains like quinoa, brown rice, etc. is worth it and would still give me some benefits. I don’t want to cut back to nuts and veggies…. Don’t think could go it.
    Also- wondering if there’s anywhere (like Europe?) to get products made with the NON dwarf wheat plant- us the original, “biblical” wheat still available at all or grown anywhere?
    Thnx!!

Unfortunately, Sarah, as you increasingly become reliant on non-wheat grains like quinoa and brown rice, you increasingly compromise your diet. The most marked effect is in blood sugar effects and glycation. I do not believe that grains in any form should be part of an ideal diet.

The same is true for ancient wheats, such as emmer and einnkorn: They are less harmful, but they are not harmless. You can find out more at http://www.growseed.org, but they are in the business of selling the seed, so of course they make it sound healthy and benign.

13. Lisa Miller says:

Dr. Davis – just a brief hello from a fellow Milwaukeean. I am 41 and after a lifetime of being overweight and trying many things, I am giving Wheat Belly a try. What you write makes so much sense, and I am interested to see how my body follows. Even though my current bloodwork is still good, I know that I am a ticking time bomb for diabetes and other issues. My mom spent quite a while early this year at St. Lukes for heart attack and related issues.

If I come across you one day, I hope it is not as my cardiologist. :) Thank you for sharing your work.

Please be sure to come back and update us with your progress! I’m hoping many of your Milwaukeean friends and neighbors start to notice how good you look and ask how you did it. This community sorely needs more role models!

14. Sarah says:

Thank you do much for the response! Loved you on dr. Oz, btw and I really think you are into something- I’ve felt for years that our processed and genetically altered diet is causing Americans to be fat and sick. That being said, what should I eat? I cannot compromise the vegetarian element for religious reasons, so what should my diet look like? I am currently suffering from adrenal fatigue, hormone imbalances, recently diagnosed hypothyroidism, and 20 lb. weight gain that won’t budge no matter WHAT I’ve tried (even fasting and various diet/exercise plans.
    Thnx! Want to get started but not sure about my potential food options.

15. Deborah Stockton says:

Wheat is also a primary migraine trigger, possibly THE primary migraine trigger. Those who suffer from migraines could eliminate most to all of their suffering by eliminating wheat. Spelt bread is readily available for those who are desperate for something, and there are other “substitutes.”

16. Sue Dodd says:

Sue says:
    Many years ago I had gastroplastry done. Just wondering why you can’t eat potatoes. Sometimes that is all I can eat and of course I love them. I do know that I’m allergic to wheat so this will be a great diet. Just wondering about the potatoes? Thanks for all your work you have put into this and trying to get this knowledge out to the public.

Unfortunately, Sue, it is worse than eating sugar.

If you undergo a metabolic assessment, you are likely to see all the phenomena of overexposure to carbohydrates and sugars, such as high triglycerides, high HbA1c, and oodles of small LDL that lead to heart disease.

No human is meant to eat this way.

17. Carrie says:

Hi Dr. Davis-

I am a local nutrition professional and I have changed my life by following a grain free/sugar free (paleo) diet. It all began with my father dying 20 years ago of a heart attack in his 40′s. I then later had a child who was not developing normally and found out through trial and error that he needed to be on a gluten free diet (preferable a grain free/sugar free diet). All of these events led to me searching for answers that I was not receiving from doctors at the time. I went back to school (since I was researching all my waking hours) and received my doctorate in Nutrition. I am now almost 42, in the best shape of my life and I look 10 years younger. Thank you for getting the word out that wheat is toxic and helping people get healthy!
    I would love to meet with you! If you ever need someone to help with the “nutrition” part in your clinic, please let me know!

Wonderful, Carrie!

It is sad that you had to spend years to understand that the conventional message in nutrition is not only ineffective, but incredibly destructive.

Please stay involved with these discussions. Perhaps the opportunity will present itself!

18. Jean says:

Great website Doc Davies! MANY thanks for setting it up and giving all this great info for free – really appreciate your kindness. What is the ‘best’, as in most accurate, test to confirm a gluten intolerance vs gluten allergy? I self diagnosed myself in my 20′s and have tried to keep to a ‘gluten free’ diet ever since… very very difficult and I cheat often :( wheat is really quite addictive! It’s a bit like sugar! Terrible! I haven’t tried the recipes on the site yet and I hope I can get ingredients down here in South Africa.. I must say I’m a tad lazy in the sense that I do nip down to a local health store and buy a white, rice/potato flour bread when I’m ‘dying’ for bread, and yes, I DO pick up weight after eating a loaf! Thank you. Jean Sleigh – Cape Town, RSA

Well, you said it perfectly: “dying for bread.” That is LITERALLY what we do when we consume wheat products.

Wheat is FAR worse than sugar. Sugar can make you fat and diabetic. But it cannot cause acid reflux, joint pain, neurological deterioration, mind “fog,” PMS, water retention, and trigger autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.

The difference between gluten intolerance and gluten allergy is, for all practical purposes, meaningless, because gluten is not the primary problem. The problem is wheat, i.e., all the constituents of modern wheat that includes gluten.

19. Daniel says:

I’m not a scientist, but the evidence you cite in your book seem quite compelling to me. I just hope I have the willpower to follow your advice. Wish me luck!

20. Laurie says:

Hi Dr Davis,
    I went wheat-free (mostly) about six weeks ago because I felt tired, bloated and often got a thumping, fluttery heart sensation and other random issues, many of which you mention in your book.
    It was a sudden shift from a diet that contained a lot of bread and pasta and beer. Shortly after I started suffering from neuropathy – tingling and burning in my feet, legs, hands, arms and face. It comes and goes in varying intensity but is always present.
    In your experience, could there be a relationship?

While of course I cannot diagnose such things in a blog, I’m going to bet that you were about to develop a neuropathy from the wheat, just coincidentally manifesting just after you stopped it.

Alternatively, you could have an entirely new cause for neuropathy. Or it could be something besides a neuropathy. So if it persists, it is worth discussing with your doctor.