About the Author

Who had the audacity to write such an against-the-grain book exposing “healthy whole grains” for the incredibly destructive genetic monsters they’ve become?

That’s me, Dr. William Davis, cardiologist and seeker-of-truth in health. Over 80% of the people I meet today are pre-diabetic or diabetic. In an effort to reduce blood sugar, I asked patients to remove all wheat products from their diet based on the simple fact that, with few exceptions, foods made of wheat flour raise blood sugar higher than nearly all other foods. Yes, that’s true for even whole grains. More than table sugar, more than a Snickers bar. Organic, multigrain, sprouted–it makes no difference.

People returned several months later and did indeed show lower blood sugar, often sufficient for pre-diabetics to be non-prediabetics. But it was the other results they described that took me by surprise: weight loss of 25 to 30 lbs over several months, marked improvement or total relief from arthritis, improvement in asthma sufficient to chuck 2 or 3 inhalers, complete relief from acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, disappearance of leg swelling and numbness. Most reported increased mental clarity, deeper sleep, and more stable moods and emotions. I witnessed even more incredible experiences like the 26-year old man incapacitated by full-body joint pains who started to jog again, pain-free. And the 38-year old schoolteacher who, just weeks before her surgeon scheduled colon removal and ileostomy bag, experienced cure–cure–from ulcerative colitis and intestinal hemorrhage–and stopped all medications. That’s when I knew that I had to broadcast this message. Wheat Belly was the result.

I’m not promoting drugs, fancy medical procedures, or costly equipment. I’m not promoting a process that makes a pharmaceutical company rich or helps a hospital gain more revenue-producing procedures. I’m talking about a simple change in diet that yields incredible and unexpected health benefits in so many more ways than you’d think. And it’s not just about celiac disease, the destructive intestinal disease from wheat gluten that affects 1% of the population. It’s about all the other destructive health effects of wheat consumption, from arthritis to acid reflux to schizophrenia, caused or made worse by this food we are advised to eat more of. It’s about being set free from the peculiar appetite-stimulating effects of the opiate-like compounds unique to wheat. It’s also about losing weight–10, 20, or 30 pounds is often just the start–all from this thing I call wheat belly. The key to understanding wheat’s undesirable effects is to recognize that the total effect on human health is greater than the sum of its parts.

In addition to writing, speaking, and practicing preventive cardiology in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I am Medical Director and founder of the Track Your Plaque program for heart disease prevention and reversal. This program was articulated in the book, Track Your Plaque: The only heart disease prevention program that shows how to use the new heart scans to detect, track, and control coronary plaque, as well as the online program by the same name (www.trackyourplaque.com). Wheat elimination along with the nutritional principles articulated in Wheat Belly serve as the cornerstone of my heart disease prevention efforts used in the Track Your Plaque program, as well.

While I’m not writing or cooking my unique wheat-free recipes, I can be found biking, sampling wines with my wife or competing with the boys on XBox, walking my two Boston terriers, or watching my tennis pro daughter, Lauren Davis, in her tennis matches around the world.

1,648 Responses to About the Author

1. Crystal Cameron says:

Hi there, just over one year ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease and have truly committed to a gluten free lifestyle. For the most part I do feel better, but at the same time I don’t notice much of a difference. Having said that I can’t help but wonder if I really am avoiding all gluten, and how can I tell if my small intestines are on the road to recovery? Another major discouraging factor is that in all the material I read it stresses the weight loss individuals experience once gluten is eliminated from their diet; however it seems to be the opposite for me….. I have gained approximately 15 lbs in the last year or two. In 2007 I went to see a naturopath and we did allergy testing which revealed my gluten allergy so since then I’ve definitely been more aware about trying to restrict gluten but it wasn’t until my celiac diagnosis that I really got on board with going completely gluten free. I was really hoping to see the weight to start to drop like all those who I have read about. I prepare most of my meals from scratch and try to eat healthy choices. I avoid the prepackaged gluten free food. I go to the gym regularly but still I am gaining. And experiencing lots of bloating still and inconsistent bowel routine. Is there anything you can recommend? I have your book wheat belly, and have found it very interesting so far (almost half way through). Anything at all would be very helpful and appreciated. Thank you in advance…. Crystal (a little discouraged)

• antje says:

Hi Crystal,
      if there are no other health issues, I would recommend that you read the book “Why we get fat” by Garry Traubes. This book gave me a deeper understanding.
      Good luck Antje

2. Heidi Hutchinson says:

Is this genetic modification that makes wheat bad only in the US? Are organic varieties different from those produced commercially? Is wheat grown in Europe different, as they don’t allow genetically modified foods? Or is there only one variety of wheat, and we’ve succeeded in totally screwing it up? Thanks for any clarification.

• Kristy Wasserott says:

Hi Heidi,
      I listened to a podcast of Dr. Davis on Jimmy Moore’s Ask the Low Carb Experts. Someone asked him this question. Unfortunately it’s worldwide. In fact, even someone from the USDA estimates that 99% of wordwide wheat is the dwarf wheat we consume here in the US.

3. Boundless says:

> Is this genetic modification that makes wheat bad only in the US?

No, but it is more common in the US. Elsewhere, they may plant the current techno toxin, or slightly older strains, but heirloom strains are uncommon in packaged goods. The wheat may be processed and the foods prepared differently as well, slightly reducing the toxicity.

> Are organic varieties different from those produced commercially?

Not in any way that matters, just as with organic hemlock.

> Is wheat grown in Europe different, as they don’t allow genetically modified foods?

See above, but know that wheat is not yet GMO (using the narrow industry definition). It’s just an untested genetic monster created by multiple reckless means other than explicit gene insertion. See:

> Or is there only one variety of wheat, and we’ve succeeded in totally screwing it up?

You can still get what are alleged to be heirloom wheats, but a major part of the WB message is that eating gluten-bearing grains, and more than a trivial amount of any kind of high GI carbs, has always been a mistake, a 10,000 year old mistake.

4. Catherine says:

Dear Dr. Davis,

After reading Wheat Belly, I was fascinated and began the diet immediately and with great results. I do have one concern though, and that is with the section on “Wheat and The Schizophrenic Mind.”

In this section of your book you paint a very bleak picture for actual schizophrenics… and I believe your comment “A life of institutionalization, medications with awful side effects, and a constant struggle with dark internal demons lies ahead” is very behind the times and archaic. You see, my young adult son was just diagnosed with this disorder and his psychiatrist said that the disease is A) more pervasive than anyone knows– many people have it and live and work in our communities, B) completely manageable with the right medications, and C) these medications have come a long way in 40-50 years… to the point that the side effects are very mild. The psychiatrist said that there was no reason our son could not live a completely normal life, as many with this disease do. He is a college student and also has a part time job– and now that his troubling symptoms are controlled by medication, he is doing very well. My point I guess is that I think it would be extremely effective for my son to read your book and cut wheat from his diet, but I do not suggest this to him because of the bleak and depressing passages in the very section I would want him to read. Being newly diagnosed, and just now learning about his medicines and what it means to his life now, I think reading those words would confuse him and depress him greatly. It’s my opinion that your words prefacing the very interesting studies you describe are out of date with modern psychiatry.

Thank you for an otherwise wonderful book and diet plan.

Sincerely,
    Catherine

5. Sheri says:

What kind of salad dressing is everyone using? Is Balsamic (the kind without the sugar and grape juice added to it) ok? Just about every single commercial dressing has wheat, or if it’s gluten free, it has garbage in it.

6. Kennard McDaniel says:

I have been reading your blogs, information with great interest and am wondering then if there are flour products or wheat grains available that might meet the ‘old’ standards of gliadin content. I might have found one, have you researched or tested Kamut brand wheat and flour? http://www.kamut.com/ Please give me some feedback on your views for it and whether it has been tested.

Kennard

There are data on kamut. But I am not convinced that kamut, nor any other form of ancient wheat, is truly ideal for health.

If you peruse the discussions on this blog, you will see that ancient grains are less harmful, but not necessarily benign.

7. Emil Steensen says:

Hello.

This is not a comment as much as it is a minor correction of your book.

I am from Denmark, and your section in chapter 2 on page 15 you mention that aebleskiver is a food staple in Denmark. That is wrong. We only eat aebleskiver at Christmas time in december, i.e. one month out of the entire year. On top of that, we only consume aebleskiver when we are with family or having a typical holiday dinner. Not every day. Maybe twice a week (some even more). I don’t eat aebleskiver myself, because i’m on a whole food diet, but I feel you should know that.

Keep up the healing!

Kind regards
    Emil

8. Gard says:

Hi Dr. Davis

Do you have any say in what languages your book is translated into or when/if this will happen, or is it entirely up to the publisher? I ask because I have many friends and colleagues, in Norway, who are interested in going wheat free, but they are reluctant to read English.

Thanks for changing my life.
    Best regards,
    Gard

9. Critical Reader says:

I just found your page and admittedly I haven’t read many of your articles yet. As far as I understand, you are blaming the consumption of wheat for as good as any known health issue on earth. I am an Italian-German hybrid and most of my diet is based on wheat (bread, pasta, etc.). So, how does it come that we Italians, Germans, French, Austrians and all those other nations with a traditionally high wheat consumption don’t die like flies? Especially Italians and French are considered to consume a healthy diet and coronary heart disease statistics look pretty good for those countries – hence, their diets are loaded with wheat products.
    On another note, as a plant biologist, I find your articles about wheat genetics a little bit off. No offense, but your attitude towards breeding approaches is very naive. I simply don’t like your way of trying to make a scandal out of everything (hybrid production, mutagenesis, embryo-rescue, etc.).

10. Tony in Toronto says:

Great results after a month, everyone.
    … myself a 63 year young male who started the gluten-free regimen a month ago — there were no pronounced health problems, just a frustrating midriff. ( I am 5’11, and generally slim, but a month ago I had an obvious midriff. At this point in time that midriff is just about gone. )
    I will be continuing as a wheat and gluten free individual. I am happy to say that Dr. Davis’ claims seem to be spot-on, and there are more benefits than just weight issues. I am able to report the following:
    - little rashes that I never complained about, perhaps light psoriasis and whatnot, are gone.
    - my face, and parts of my body, i.e. chest, used to sport a mild case of rosacea – a type of adult acne, and that has subsided to a large degree — my facial skin looks much more serene, I am told
    - my digestion is considerably calmer now
    - I think better. Really.
    But most of all, I’m happy to say there is a 63 year young guy walking around who is the proud owner of six-pack abs. I’ve got a pleased sweetheart, too!

Excellent, Tony!

Such a small change in diet, with so many positive consequences!

• Tony in Toronto says:

Thank you, Dr. Davis, for the enormous contribution you have made, and are still making, to the health of everyone, and for awareness of what is not good for us to eat. Fondest regards to you.

11. K. O. says:

Hi there

Well, I am a 46 year old male. the 44.5 years of life have been a living hell and the past FIVE days I can once again see a future.
    From severe childhood asthma, juvenile type 1 diabetes by 12, heart disease by 19, kidney disease by 30, 5 years on dialysis, kidney transplant by 35, from 20 years old to now i have had 100′s of small MI’S and at least 3 major MI’s, i have 2 stents in my heart LAD and the rest fully clogged by 38 years old, named to have all diabetic complications, and by 44 years old developed Addison’s, and so much more… from 18 years old i have been on a slow decline in all muscle uses, from only being able to walk a block till i would be in excruciating pain… etc…
    It’s now been the last year that my legs have been so painful that i could think of is how is joke being pulled off.
    I have spent the past 10 years giving up on the white coats, 5 years ago i walked away from them, and have been doing everything i can to stay alive, researching and going from trial and error. in 2001 i had my transplant, by 2009 i threw all my medications away… except for prednisone and insulin. I incorporated a very good diet, excellent supplements, and so on… and yet to no great prevail…
    I gave up wheat a few years ago, though not entirely…. i was still eating organic sprouted grain breads,,, turns out to be even more deadly….
    I gave up the bread, no more canned soups…. then the withdrawal came and I truly thought for a couple of days I was going to die. Not that those are all that uncommon, but this was bad.
    Well then yet i was eating organic steel cut oats…
    I have made my such long story short….
    But now 5 days no oats, no wheat, no no no nothing of the sort….. And I now see a future….
    I will go on to say…. None of it is safe not even rice.
    This morning for the first time in over 25 years my blood pressure is 140/75 no meds, no nothing, just no POISEN… and the pain in my body is at least 50% reduced
    I know now that I will prevail, I will cure all their sicknesses that they have inflicted upon me. As I will walk again, I want you all to know that you all can too.
    I’ve always known that none of this is right, and does not fit. Now I finally have all the pieces to their puzzle.

Kevout for now!

Wow, KO.

I do indeed hope that you have found your answer after a long and painful journey. Please keep us updated!

If “only” half your conditions were improved or cured, even that would be spectacular!

12. K. O. says:

Hi Doc.

I am impressed, yet not surprised by your speedy response. As well thank you very much for your reply, as well as all your efforts. One thing I have seen about you Doc. D opposed to most any body else on the air ways is that you have a pumping heart.
    I don’t care who says what anymore…. WHY Who thinks they know should not be saying one thing about anything unless they have proof. Dr Davis You deliver PROOF beyond a shadow of doubt.
    So then like the say the PROOF IS IN THEIR PUDDING. And I would not eat their pudding!

Doc. D. believe me you’re going to prevail… though the scale is yet to be determined huh?

K. O.
    Oh hey, What’s wrong with being awake? !@$^)~!@$%^&*()

13. Linda Sweeney says:

Dear Dr. Davis,
    I wish I had found you 25 years ago when I developed psoriasis. It started out a small problem but over years became painful, itchy with weeping bleeding lesions. I tried everything and saw dermatologists, allergists and finally a gastroenterologist because in my heart I knew this wasn’t a skin problem. He scolded me out of his office when I wanted to do a simple test for leaky gut telling me that I was healthy just looking at me. Two months later I sent him a photo of my bald head as I had breast cancer. The psoriasis had gone global creating arthritis and I was lactose intolerant. I sought out a gastroenterologist after reading articles by Dr. Leo Galland. He was correct. I eliminated grains, supplemented with digestive enzymes and probiotics and after 6 weeks my condition healed. No more bleeding elephant skin. I work with patients needing artificial joints all day long. I encourage them to give up grains and sugar. I will recommend your book as well as the one from Dr. Peter D’Adamo which shares similar points. Thank you for your work.
    Best regards

Wow, Linda: Sorry you had to get your information the hard way.

You already know that it is SO important to spread these messages, as even today, people are dismissed and/or just prescribed drugs for a problem that derives from foods like wheat.

14. Karen Haggerty says:

Dear Dr,

Before I purchase your book can you please let me know if it is suitable for non meat eaters please?I am not over weight but suffer from skin problems and have lots of problems finding what I can eat due to ie heartburn from oats which makes my skin break out and also give me heartburn.Finding what I can eat is difficult.

Many thanks for your time.
    Best Wishes

Karen

15. Robert Thurston says:

Dr. Davis:
    I want to share my “semi-miracle” story with you. I have battled weight loss all my life. Up and down, with only a few brief periods of being in good shape. In 2008, I was diagnosed with diabetes Type II. I didn’t really pay it the attention it deserved and was sporadic about my medicine, etc. So, naturally, it got worse. At one point, I was at 320 pounds. Now, truthfully, I had lost some weight before I came upon Wheat Belly (I was down to about 283) and actually without really trying. But despite that, my blood sugars (383) and A1C (12.2) were atrocious at my doctor visit in September 2012. Coincidentally, that’s about when I saw you on the CBS This Morning news show talking about your book and how elimination of wheat has been very helpful to people. I bought the book and after reading just the intro and the first chapter, I decided to try to eliminate wheat while I continued to read the rest of the book. I went cold turkey, which for me was hard because I was a bread-aholic and a pastaholic. I also loved cake, cookies, etc. So I became aware of everything that contained wheat and just didn’t eat it. I added in lots of raw nuts, meats, eggs, cheese, olives, etc. to compensate and I also cut out sugared soda (another addiction). I also started exercising (riding a bike and elliptical machine) on a daily basis. I noticed immediately my daily blood sugar readings plummet. I also noticed I started losing weight. I went to my Endocrinologist (because my regular doctor was panicked at my last visit) and she was shocked – with joy. She was very proud of me. My regular blood sugars are now down to the 145 range and I’ve lost about 25 more pounds (258). I still have a long way to go, but the “diet” (it really isn’t a diet) is easy and missing a meal is no big deal. My high protein carries me over. So I am motivated to get to a goal weight and goal blood sugar reading (A1C < 7). I wanted to thank you because your book was a HUGE part of this success and has made me understand so much about my life and my body. Granted, you didn't exercise for me, but the absence of wheat gave me the energy to do it. Who knows? Maybe I had a disguised / hidden wheat allergy? Whatever the reason, I love the success and feeling so much better and healthier. Thank you, thank you, thank you and keep up the great work (I'm now an evangelist for your book on Facebook). I truly appreciate it and will hopefully one day put diabetes and being overweight behind me.

16. Rodrigo B says:

My Father is diagnosed with schizophrenia, my mother, epilepsia and schizophrenia. She finally jumped from a window , to find death .She loved bread.

Most of my family is mentally unstable, there are many cases of diabetes and related issues, as blindness, high body fat percents,acid reflux…they love sugars, breads and pasta….

I started a paleolitic diet in a effort to improve my body composition,and found that it also avoids the emotional weakness that was harming me.I continued my investigations, and found that my belly was fruit of wheat ,symptom of gluten intoxication.

Today, i feel better than ever and everyday i´m gettin stronger, but , also, i see all the damage done to my body, and also, i see the damages in other people, addicted to that disgusting bread.

Death to Wheat!

Your family is among those with probable exceptional wheat-sensitivity, Rodrigo.

I will be very interested in hearing how your experience unwinds. Yes, we cannot overstate how BAD wheat can be, especially in those susceptible to its mind effects.

17. Lavinia says:

Hi Dr Davis,
    I’ve asked you previously as I am from Australia if all the wheat had been modified even ours you replied yes. So finally I have bought your book of which still had to be sourced from the States as we have none of your books stocked here even by this very large book company even then I was only allowed to order 1 book!
    It made me wonder if you are indeed a well kept secret I’ve only heard about you on the 700 club thank God. I have a relative with diabetes so I bought this book for their birthday. I am not diabetic but I’m thinking of taking up your diet because I have an under active thyroid and adrenal fatigue.
    I am also only a graduate in public health and work in a health promotion framework and preventative health but I find it so puzzling that the World Health Organisation has failed to notify the general public of this hidden menace. In my studies they were always highlighting the burden of disease in the Western World the cost is in its millions and billions and all these chronic conditions what a crock! Its better to take wheat off the market altogether and recommend the whole natural foods. Still it makes me question who is responsible for with holding such vital information that our seemingly harmless staple is in fact making us sick. I cannot wait to see the positive changes your book will bring to my family and myself once we try your wheat belly diet book out.
    Thank you for your time and God Bless,
    Lavinia

• K. O. says:

Lavinia you have mentioned the culprits in what you have just wrote.

In fact;
      Getting rid of most any thing in a package, and Wheat, corn, rye, rice, barley, oats any modified foods, milk and water we would just be starting to scratch the surface of what is impaling us.
      We are unique in genetic and DNA structure though these Architects and Alchemists know us better than any one else ever will. Not only that, but keeping the masses DUMB is the only way for these MAD Men to stay in control. In the name of Science…. And in there controlled evolution we are mere pawns on this HUGE chess board of life and are disposable at any rate.
      If you drop the pharmaceuticals then you wipe out 75% of the peoples jobs and way of living. It’s a mere fact that all everything revolves around the oil n bank industries. If you rid Pharmaceuticals, I am sure our dependance on OIL will fall significantly.
      Are you sure you want to know who is responsible? a quick way is to look and follow the money…
      A web of deceit and lies. An infrastructure looking like the savior even though the very ones who make us sick, also provide the propaganda, and the so called fix to all of our ills. No one gets fixed, and more and always fall victim.

K O

18. angela says:

Are sugar alcohols bad for the liver (erythritol/xylitol). I figured since they were an “alcohol” that it would be harmful. Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Angela

No, they do not share metabolic pathways with ethanol (i.e., the alcohol in wine, beer, etc.).

Erythritol and xylitol are benign and found in fruit. Sorbitol, maltitol, lactitol, and mannitol are not so benign, however, and I believe should be minimized/avoided.

19. Maria says:

I first read about Wheat Belly in last month’s FIRST magazine and was so fascinated by the article that I bought the book and am reading it now. I have been wheat free (as much as I can be) for 1 week and 2 days now and all I can say is that I am so excited about going wheat free. This is the longest I have gone on giving up something in a diet. It makes so much sense. In the past when I have tried to give up wheat based bread and pasta I was never fully satisfied and still craved them. I realize now that this was due to the fact that even though I didn’t eat bread or pasta then, I was still eating foods that contained Wheat and in essence still had not weaned myself off the “drug” stimulant. Upon reading the book, I abandoned wheat cold turkey and you know what? I don’t feel hungry. I don’t crave bread, pasta, snacks, candies, etc, unlike before. I am not inclined to cheat (as in the past…”just one try…it can’t hurt”). None of that stuff. I feel good about myself. I haven’t been overeating as I have in the past to make up for not having bread/pasta. I don’t weigh myself so I don’t know if I’ve lost weight in the first week, but my pants are relatively looser around the waistline, so that’s gotta be good. I’m not losing energy either from eating less than what I normally do, so again, this has got to be good.

Thanks so much for this book. Though you made many scientific research references, most of which I could not really follow, I still got the jist of what you were on about and they do make sense….. like many light bulbs going on all of a sudden.

Dr. Davis, I’ve noticed that I tend to go to the bathroom a lot more often sometimes twice or three times during the day. Is this normal? There is no cramping or bloating or urgency to it so I don’t think it is a bad side effect. I’m thinking I am flushing more waste out since I don’t have all the wheat gunks blocking my bowels from moving. Let me know please if you think this is NOT normal.

Maria

It is not normal, but it is not uncommon.

It likely is a transient effect of proceeding through a transition in regaining normal bowel flora, among other effects, as your gastrointestinal tract heaves a big sigh of relief now it is no longer being attacked by this thing called wheat!

20. Sonia A says:

Hi Dr Davis,

I live in France but was over in the UK to see my family. My sister was looking and feeling fantastic having lost much of her “middle-age spread” and told me that it was because she had read your book and had been on a wheat-free diet for a few weeks. While there, I started to read your book too.

I’ve been a vegetarian for the past 35 years, eat lots of wholemeal products and run 10kms 5-6 days a week yet, although still slim, over the past 5 years I’ve been getting a “muffin-top” and, despite eating less and less and exercising more and more, I couldn’t shift it. I even went as far as consulting a plastic surgeon to have a tummy tuck to get rid of it. On top of that, I’ve also been suffering from severe stomach cramps as soon as I eat, running to the loo with diarrhea. I came to dread going to work or out of the house and started to take immodium on a regular basis. After lots of tests, the specialist said it was just stress and IBS (which he informed me means that, in truth, they just don’t know the cause!). After reading the first few chapters of your book, I felt convinced enough to try a gluten-free diet immediatey.

The effect was almost immediate! Just 3 weeks later, my middle no longer hangs over the top of my jeans, though there’s still a bit more to lose. I look and feel so much better, I have more energy, no longer feel the need to snack on wholemeal biscuits and cereal bars (I thought they were good for me!) and best of all, since only a few days after going gluten-free, I’ve not had any more stomach cramps or diarrhea. I had thought that was something I would suffer with for the rest of my life and that it would probably only get worse with age. Beng a vegetarian was difficult enough here in France, getting gluten-free products is even worse, but I’m determined to continue.

I know you have a lot of cynics out there but thanks, Dr Davis, for at least sharing your knowledge of the dangers of wheat and gluten and offering us a chance to change our diets and change our lives.

Thanks so much,
    Sonia
    PS. My sister heard about your book and had to order it from the US. It really needs to be made ready available in the UK as soon as possible!

Let them be cynical all they want, Sonia–but it works!

No drug or drugs can fully cover up the destructive health effects of wheat. So the most expeditious means to be cured of all conditions associated with wheat? Don’t ever eat wheat again!

My publisher tells me they have chosen to rely on selling the U.S. version in the U.K. rather than get a U.K. publisher.

• James says:

Hello Sonia,

been living in France for ~ 20 years … the only things they have correct is the meat and variety of fats. The glycemic part of the French cuisine is a disaster! Tastes so good but f—– me up so much …

J.