Dunkin’ Donuts to the rescue?

Dunkin’ Donuts has announced their new line of gluten-free donuts, such as gluten-free Cinnamon Sugar Donut and a gluten-free Blueberry Muffin.

If it’s gluten-free, it must be good! Right?

Wrong. Fatally, irreversibly wrong. Dunkin’ Donuts is not the first to make this nutritional blunder. Post, Kelloggs, Nabisco, as well as Udi’s, Schar, and Glutino, have all demonstrated their incredible ignorance on nutritional issues, or at least their indifference.

Let’s take a source of starch, such as corn. (Let’s put aside modern issues, including genetic-modification of the corn plant, glyphosate residues, Bt toxin content, and breeding efforts to increase amylopectin/amylose content.) Let’s take “corn” as the intact kernels on a cob. This raises blood sugar substantially with a glycemic index of 52 to 60.

Now dry and pulverize the corn into cornmeal or cornstarch. By doing this, we increase the surface area for digestion exponentially, making digestion via the salivary and stomach enzyme, amylase, rapid and highly efficient. Glycemic index now? 78 for gluten-free corn pasta, 100 for cornstarch. Now that’s high.

Also note that the starch in cornstarch is typically the most rapidly digested amylopectin, not the somewhat less rapidly digested amylose (often called a “safe starch,” a misnomer because it is just a less harmful starch, not safe, another example of the flawed logic of nutrition).

So gluten-free donuts–or multigrain bread, bagels, muffins, or pretzels–are rapidly digested and yield very high blood sugars. This triggers insulin to high levels, which then leads to tissue insulin resistance which, in turn, leads to high blood sugar, high blood insulin . . . around and around, causing visceral fat accumulation, diabetes and all the phenomena of glycation: cataract formation, hypertension, kidney disease, heart disease, joint degeneration and arthritis, some forms of cancer, and dementia.

So NO member of the species Homo sapiens should be consuming such gluten-free products made with cornstarch, rice flour, tapioca starch, or potato starch. Once again, processed food manufacturers have, with their eagerness to generate profits at your expense, created something awful for health under the guise of something “healthy.”

(Note that I have a delicious recipe for healthy donuts in my upcoming Wheat Belly 30-Minute Meal Cookbook due out this December!)

This entry was posted in Gluten-free. Bookmark the permalink.

123 Responses to Dunkin’ Donuts to the rescue?

1. Wil B says:

Dr. Davis:
    This is a bit off topic here, but I wanted to congratulate you again for the fact that Wheat Belly has continued to find its way onto the New York Times best seller list for its category. If memory serves, your book has been on the list regularly since shortly after its original date of publication. That is an extraordinary accomplishment, particularly for a book on diet and nutrition of all things! It seems pretty clear that the information and ideas in the book continue to have (and gain) traction. Bravo!
    Regards,

Wil B.
    Wilmington, DE
    P.S. It would be interesting to me, and I’m sure to many of your other readers, to know whether, and the extent to which, you may be earning support (encouragement) ……or not….., from your medical peers. Hopefully that information would not be a trade secret. :-)

2. BarbinNC says:

I see that my posts are in moderation, probably because of the links I added? Only the last one is posted already, just thought I’d let you know, since it’s confusing ….

> I see that my posts are in moderation, probably because of the links I added?

If you had more than one link in the Reply body, that would do it.

Follow the link from my username here for a How-to-Use-WBB.

• BarbinNC says:

Thanks very much, Boundless. That’s exactly what I did … added two links to Maria Emmerich blog with recipes for the donuts and twinkies! I love the new forum and will have to check it out when I have a little more time. And post some recipes, perhaps! :)

• BarbinNC says:

Boundless, I have a question that you might be able to answer. If I wanted to add pictures to my posts, for instance with a recipe to show the process and finished product, would you think it’s ok to post at the message board that was set up by members here, and then link to it here? Ot upload to a picture sharing site and post that link here? I could also set up a blog I guess, but really don’t have the time right now … I trust your advice.

Thanks, Barb

> have a question that you might be able to answer.

Or not. I don’t speak for this blog.

> If I wanted to add pictures to my posts, for instance
            > with a recipe to show the process and finished
            > product, would you think it’s ok to post at the
            > message board that was set up by members here, …

The WFF does seem to have an attachments feature on posts and replies, so that might work (I haven’t tried it).
            Post recipes in the Wheat Free Recipes sub-forum:

> … and then link to it here?

I routinely post WFF links here when the linked content is relevant to the base article or reply drift. The trick with recipes is finding a suitable thread here on WBB, plus the general problem of anyone easily finding it after a day or so, due to age-off and weak local search.

> Or upload to a picture sharing site and post that link here?

I’d go the WFF route.

This blog (WBB) used to have a working:
            Recipe Library > Submit Your Recipe
            feature, but it broke over a year ago and hasn’t been fixed. I suspect that Dr.D. has a plan for a completely new web site that is not constrained by the limitations of the blog format.

• BarbinNC says:

I tried to register over there early this morning, but could not get it to complete. Might have been my internet connections, it’s been fluky lately. I will try again in a little while.

3. La Frite says:

The picture of the packaged muffins make those absolutely unappetizing and invoke awfulness in my mind. I remember when I had these trips to North America, I would see those things (wheat free or not) lining up on the shelves, or in snack machines, and people would buy them for getting a quick sugary fix at any time (usually while working at their desk). I will never understand this way of eating. I’d rather bake muffins myself, with ingredients I chose, a baking process I chose, and for a special occasion only, not as a mindless fix because my office work makes me sedentary and sugar addicted …

Gluten free or not, these things are no food …

4. Faye says:

It is the same trick that the fat free items pull–I remember when the first fat free cookies came out. I thought I was being so “good” eating all fat free stuff. But I’ve gained more weight since being fat free than I did in all the 30 years before. Even more recently, I was fooled by fat free half-and-half. Someone asked me one day how it could be fat free because it was so thick. Then I looked at the label–corn syrup is the second ingredient.

So far I’m enjoying being wheat free and aside from delicious cheddar “biscuits” from The Gourmet Girl’s recipe repertoire, I am not looking for bread substitutes. And am perfectly happy not having them!

Dunkin Donuts–keep your poison to yourself!

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Faye,

I remember those cookies too! They were very sweet and nearly inedible. This was followed by fat free mayonnaise that was very salty. Many sugar free items that contained a long list of unpronounceable chemicals. Tuna in water is now tuna in water with a soy broth.
      Our food supply is so contaminated with chemicals that even more chemicals/spices have to be added to make it taste good. Nearly every recipe you see contains sugar to be added. Most of the ready made spice combinations and nearly all condiments, rubs and sauces contain a sugar derivative or high fructose corn syrup and lots of salt. Dairy products are boiled at 280*-320* and called” ultra pasteurized”, which effectively kills most of the nutrition, but significantly increasing shelf life. And the list goes on…..

Is there any wonder why we are fat while our bodies are starving for nutrition in this land of plenty?

I’m glad you have realized that you have been fooled by our corporations just like me and the rest of America. In my opinion, the best tactic is to walk away with my pocketbook closed. I email the companies and tell them why I will not purchase their product. I pay more for free range eggs and low temperature pasteurized milk. I pay more for food that is “clean”. Those product will sell and eventually have more shelf space. I will try hard not to be fooled by corporate greed again. Maybe someday, the companies will realize that it is not smart to use cheaper and cheaper ingredients that harms your customer.

5. stephen ottridge says:

Perhaps it is my imagination but I’m noticing bread being on special at reduced prices in the stores much more frequently. That includes of course bagels and , English muffins.

We’re now in December 2013, and wheat commodity prices have been in an 19 month slide, which would include September 2013. This could be expected to affect retail prices. Wheat prices are today about where they were when Wheat Belly was published.

Industry analysts explain it all using yields and weather. Consumer demand for wheat as wheat (other than for the silly whole grains) is not yet even on their radar. I personally don’t even pay attention to the wheat market, and had to go to some effort to find a historical chart.

More significant is the market for things we actually want to eat, like almonds, and the trends there are not encouraging. In the specific case of almonds, there is both record demand, and increasing difficulty with pollination, due to beehive CCD. Buy your almond flour sooner rather than later. It freezes well.

6. GiGi says:

Almost all of the corn and soybeans in the U.S. are now genetically modified. YUMMy….

7. Ed says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    Apologies if this is a duplicate…the last post seems to have disappeared. Also, apologies if this is a bit off topic.
    I wanted to ask if you had any recommendations as I recently had a CT scan done with a total Agatston score of 1153.82 (LAD 456.31). Did this on my own as I have a physical coming up and my MD doesn’t usually do a stress test or PET or CT scan.
    Is there any recommendation you might have as to how to address this? Your name/information came up when I was doing some searches for more information on what the numbers mean and thought I’d reach out to see what you’d suggest. Unfortunately, I don’t live in Wisconsin otherwise I’d check into an appointment.

Thanks -

8. Heather says:

I recently went wheat free on a trip to Disney World (thanks to my crazy high lipoprotein a). They are very accomodating. I was given tours of the buffets, and offered gluten free breads, waffles, pancakes, and brownies. Udi’s seems to be the main stay for GF in WDW. I got some really interesting looks when I told them no thanks to the special “treats”. I repeatedly informed well dressed chefs that the ingredients were horrible for you and caused blood sugar to sky rocket. Sigh…my husband has taken to calling me a wheat nazi.

Thanks for all of the information and encouragement!

9. Nobelly says:

Now if they could just come up with a glutton free donut they would be onto something.

> … could just come up with a glutton free donut …

Gluten-free donuts are plentiful on market GF aisles. They are junk, even the ones in the GF freezer section.

It’s pretty easy to make a perfectly acceptable low-carb (fully WB-compliant) donut at home. You bake ‘em in a donut tray rather than deep fry ‘em. Consumption doesn’t even have to be “limited”. Glutton Freely on these :).

The challenge is making a GF LC HF donut that has an acceptable retail room temperature shelf life. Expect the first few attempts to be from brands selling GF donuts today, and therefore to have various questionable ingredients to stabilize them (adverse fats, preservatives).

10. Tale says:

Just one quibble, a “safe starch” isn’t called safe because it is amylose and not amylopectin, but because of an absence of toxins and antinutrients. And even the leading proponents of safe starches still advocate an essentially low carbohydrate diet (compared to the Standard American Diet), and recognize that too much glucose is a problem. They don’t mean “safe” as in “eat all you want, it’ll cause you no harm!”

Not trying to take away from your overall point. Cornstarch is still nutritionally vapid and these doughnuts, like most processed carbohydrate products trying to gain favour under the banner of Gluten Free, are not really a wholesome part of anyone’s breakfast.

11. La Frite says:

It is business as usual: more and more people are rejecting wheat based foods ? how do we then keep them hooked to quick crappy pseudo-foods ? By substituting non wheat flours to wheat flour, and that’s basically it, as long as it looks, smells and sort of taste the same. There is probably so much sugar and crappy fats that it will still be appealing to the addicts out there …

This is sad SAD in its worst: only business matters …

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

La Frite,

You hit it exactly right: keep enough wheat, starches and sugars in the products to appeal to the addicted! The tobacco industry did this by adding nicotine to its cigarettes as well as the wheat/sugar chemical combination. Kept people smoking!

The agribusiness companies now do the same thing. Fortunately many people are not being fooled this time. The growth of the “gluten free” food industry shows that people are aware of the problems with wheat. Once they start realizing that the junk carbohydrates/sugars in most of the ready made products are causing them additional health problems, will they stop buying these nutritional nightmares.

The number of people sharing their stories and thoughts on this blog continues to grow. Most are greatly relieved that they have finally found the cause of many of their health problems and have no interest in eating wheat or sugar again.

12. Nobelly says:

Dr davis – HELP

What should my brother tell the teachers of his 12 year old overweight daughter to make them stop ordering pizza and other junk food for the kids once a week at school. She had lost over 10 lbs on a pao diet and gained back 3 lbs in her first 5 days at school. Can you outline some of the health issues of kids that make this a terrible idea? ( like diabetes etc)

• Nobelly says:

Anybody? Am i the only one shocked to hear that schools think it’s a good idea to order pizza once a week for ” lunch”? How dumb am i – i thought schools set the example.

There is lots of lip service paid to the ” obesity” problem with kids, but when parents look for help there is NONE. They are left worrying that eating low carb is not healthy for their kids, so the kids keep eating the pizza and pasta and the breakfast cereals and michele obama says that’s great so long as it’s “whole wheat”. What a crock of s***.

• gingerbread says:

You are not the only one. But the forces are too great to fight this battle. All he can tell his daughter is, look on pizza day, you are taking wheat-free pizza to school that we made at home. I had to tell my daughter that if she eats it, and then acts out, she has to suffer the consequences because she chose to eat it. My daughter is 14. Teach them young. I didn’t and we lost 10 good years with my teen. Me thinking she was just an awful kid and always into trouble. Save one at a time. He has to do it himself; there will be no help coming any time soon.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Lots of kids have food allergies today. Being allergic to wheat is very common, just as peanuts are a common allergy. Informing the school of her allergy will ensure that she won’t be served any pizza or other wheat containing foods. They will explain their procedure and suggestions will be provided to accommodate the on going school party circuit.

Remember, the school system does not want to be sued if an allergic child is fed an allergen and then has to be hospitalized or worse. Schools take this very seriously.

In my area, parents are given a list of class allergies and prepare cupcakes or whatever so the allergic child can participate. The teacher supervises this. Most parents do comply since they know that their child might just develop a problem in the future and would expect the same treatment.

• Nobelly says:

It is very clear to me that schools are not interested in addressing the obesity problem. They just want the kids to like them and to have fun. So they cop out and take the easy way by feeding them junk. Why dont they take this day and have a contest for the healthiest, most appetising box lunch prepared by the kid himself. Give him a non food prize like a good book.
            Save the cupcakes for special occasions at home at the parents’ discretion.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Nobelly,

Why don’t you join the parent’s association, become a board of education member or even just volunteer in your local school? You can begin to change things.

Schools reflect parental wishes. Parents complain about homework, curriculum, grading standards and anything else they can think of. They insisted prizes be given out to all students for just showing up. Student responsibility is minimal and entitlement combined with consumerism is the result.

How these future generations of workers will compete on a global scale is as frightening in my opinion as the quality of our food.

• Nobelly says:

I dont have any kids – this is about my brother’s kid in another city. But he volunteers big time. He s an expert in a certain field – he has no problem with the kids, but the teachers use volunteers as fillins while they retreat to the staff room for a donut.

• Jeanine says:

You’re painting a bleak picture with a broad brush. I am a school administrator, and there are many of us who care a lot and work hard to keep kids active, safe, and fed with healthy food. There are many of us who try very hard to introduce truly healthy eating to our students. Leaving students unsupervised with volunteers so the teacher can eat donuts is the exception, not the rule. I like this blog because it is a positive place. What a bummer to come home on a Friday night, check out the blog to see what my wheat-free kindred spirits are up to and see the negative comments about schools. Sigh.

• Nobelly says:

Maybe that’s why nobody wants to help the kids with weight issues. It’s more fun to order pizza for the thin kids. Sorry to spoil your day.

• Jeanine, I agree with your sentiments and would like to add that administrators and educators can hardly be held accountable for the nations school lunch/breakfast program dicatated by the USDA’s “food plate”……a high glycemic diet where ketchup is considered a vegetable. So don’t blame your educators……blame your government!

• Nobelly says:

Follow up – Many teachers are fantastic. A few are awful.
            Fortunately, at this school the principal is fantastic. Full
            Empathy and understanding on the issue. The pizza order was cancelled and the home room teacher advised not to offer junk food to this child. She has lost another couple of lbs. and made the observation that junk food smells better than it tastes. Also, for the first time in her grade school career she observed how many kids didnt order the junk food. And her best friend who doesnt have a weight issue is supporting her fully in her weight loss efforts. I think these changes happen on a grass roots level, child by child, teacher by teacher. Dont wait for the govt – theyre still pushing the food pyramid and low fat diets.

• Nobelly says:

Just to clarify – this is not a school lunch or cafeteria lunch. It is pizza ordered from domiinoes, etc and ordered by the classroom teacher instead of the usual box lunch that kids bring.

13. A10044 says:

After reading your “an iodine primer” post back in July, I decided to start going on Kelp and I’ve been taking them 2 a day for about a month. I became wheat free back in January and immediately noticed a 10 pound drop (I wasn’t heavy to begin with), but since about a month and a half ago I started gaining weight and more noticeably belly fat, so much so that I regained every pound that I had lost + belly fat!
    That is the reason why I started my kelp binge, which to my logic could be the only reason for my weight gain(iodine deficiency).
    My question is how long does it usually take for kelp or iodine to do their magic and get me out my misery?! Fyi, I exercise 7 days a week (3 days swim, 4 days at gym), am 34 and my tsh back in March was 1.75

• Nobelly says:

A100- it is almost always about what you are eating. So what are you eating?

• A10044 says:

Everything from the “enjoy unlimited” section, and some from the “limited”…following the rules by the book!

What’s your net carb intake per day,
          and have you seen:

> … and my tsh back in March was 1.75

If you don’t know your FT3, FT4 and RT3 (Free and Reverse), then your thyroid status has not been competently assessed. These are not part of the standard thyroid panel, which usually looks only at total T4 (about as useful as total cholesterol) and TSH (which is a measure of pituitary response, and only meaningful if the thy/pit system is working properly, which it often is not in thyroid problems).

• A10044 says:

My net carb intake is definitely no more than 20 per day, I don’t count calories but do count carbs.
            I’ll take a closer look at my blood work, thank you

• Loekie says:

I do think iodine is very important and underestimated!

• Loekie says:

With me it took a month or so.

• Nobelly says:

Less than 20 grams of carbs a day and you gained 10 lbs? Something is definitely way off. Let us know about your thyroid numbers.

Ive been taking iodine for a year and i cant tell the difference. But i eat more than 20 gms a day and i lose weight quite easily, and im not really overweight either – just maintaining.

14. Mrs. D says:

Dr.
    Had horrible reactions from much coveted Dominos gluten free pizza.
    Good going down, but oh my what a wasted day.
    Thanks for understanding.

15. Pingback: Wheat Free vs. Gluten Free | A Temple - Not My Own

16. GFnotbychoice says:

Fortunately none of you seem to be forced to the gluten free diet due to allergies or illness, but when the choice is not yours and even a single grain of flour can cause severe intestinal problems and painful hives all over your body it can be extremely frustrating. To simply say the gluten free market is adding other things to make it better or to satisfy a sugar craving is not correct. There are people (more by the day) who are being diagnosed with Celiac or gluten intolerance who would enjoy the ability to have a donut if they want one. And not just for the sugar!!! The gluten free diet is one that can be devastating when it is not by choice but forced upon you. Most do not realize the many foods that contain gluten or gluten products. Most of the additives that are added to gluten free foods are necessary to make them rise or be reasonably palatable. Gluten is the binder in that it is what makes the muffin or pie crust or cake be light and airy. Take out the gluten and it all crumbles. So go on with your rants and accusations about the companies but I for one am glad they are finally realizing the need for gluten free products out there.

Sorry, but I believe you are dead wrong.

Make no mistake: Gluten-free foods as made by most of these companies ruin health. They should NOT be used as replacements for wheat, any more than bags of jelly beans should be used to replace sandwich bread.

You are making the mistake common to many people with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity who don’t really understand the larger issues.

• Charlie says:

I agree 100% Dr. Davis.

After having to change to a gluten free diet due to coeliac, I started eating all the awful (but quite tasty) GF foods full of highly processed GF grains, soy flour, preservatives, vegetable oils, gums, etc.

This lead me to become quite unwell over a period of time. Now I’ve had to change to an unprocessed, and grain free (almost “paleo”) diet to become healthy again and lose weight.

I’m sorry you that you had to learn these lessons the hard way, Charlie!

But this is why I keep on repeating: NOBODY should be eating gluten-free processed foods made with cornstarch, rice starch, tapioca starch, or potato starch–they RUIN health!

17. Danielle says:

Is it possible?

My husband stopped eating wheat 12 days ago after I shared what I had been reading in Wheat Belly. We actually had a fight the night before when I was sharing some of the information from the book and his response was “well our parents ate wheat all their lives and they were fine”. I looked at him pointing at his wheat belly and without malice said to him “i see that it’s working for you” which he took the wrong way and got angry with me. Needless to say, I went in the spare room and continued reading my book. The next morning he came to me and apologized, saying that everything I had said made sense and he stopped eating wheat. I am telling this story because I am deeply disturbed that a USDA recommended food can cause a human to burst into fits of rage. I have been on t he receiving end of this behaviour and unbeknownst to me…..wheat was most certainly the cause. He has not had one outburst since the removal of wheat. He is calm, focused and a whole lot of fun to be around. Is it really possible that wheat could have had this effect on him? And many others? How atrocious!

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Danielle,

How atrocious is right!

Dr. Daniel Amen talks about his mean spirited grandmother and how she changed by changing her diet. This was on a PBS program. He showed before and after CAT scans of her brain. Impressive.

We all know people who behave badly, are difficult to get along with and generally demanding to have their way. They pick fights, are bullies, continually bait you among other behavioral characteristics. High strung? Nervous type? Overly sensitive? You name it and wheat/sugar is always a large part of their diet.

With our government agencies beholden to big ag and big pharma, we are now seeing a backlash to the foods recommended but are really making us sick without the chance of getting well. Don’t believe this? Just ask any diabetic you know if they ever get better? They’re reporting that they improve when following WB guidelines. Cholesterol levels? Blood pressure? Blood sugars? People are showing normal blood levels when they follow WB guidelines.

What is fed to our sick, our elderly, our children? The foods on the official pyramid! This is enough to make even the least conspiracy minded person start wondering. Even the food stamp programs for the poor encourage grains and sugars.

18. BarbinNC says:

Honeyville Grains is having a sale which ends today. I just placed an order for the almond flour and organic coconut flour, have ordered both before and love them, best I’ve tried for baking, always good results. I use them a lot, and they lasted me a year almost exactly, I still have quite a bit of the coconut flour, but almond flour now gone. We are gearing up to do our holiday cooking and baking and I’m really exited, so is my daughter.
    You get 15% off when using coupon code RECIPE.

Barb

19. Susan Chaplin says:

What about arrowroot flour? It is a starch but is it as deadly as the ones listed in this article? I recently found a really good waffle recipe that uses almond flour and arrowroot, but if arrowroot is a culprit, I will continue my search (in addition to the delicious one in the Wheat Belly cookbook which I also enjoy). Arrowroot just seems to provide a crispyness that none of the other waffle recipes have, which I enjoy. Thanks!

20. Sony says:

Hello Dr. Davis,
    Your book “Wheat Belly” is excellent. Thanks to your book and your videos, I stopped eating wheat. I don’t have arthritis anymore. But I have a question after reading this article, Is it also possible for you to write a long article about the extreme dangers of corn especially Genetically Modified Corn? I myself am also allergic to corn.

Whenever I eat corn, I get angry, canker sores, memory loss, and also schizophrenic reactions.

Sony

> … extreme dangers of corn especially Genetically Modified Corn?

Corn is a high glycemic carb, even as an organic heirloom. A mere 6 corn chips is your entire meal/6-hour-period allotment of net carbs.

Dr. Davis lately said this (about the modern market strains I’m guessing):
      “… some overlap of corn zein with gliadin”.

GMO corn could be herbicide-resistant, insecticide-expressing, or both. Such food safety testing as has been done on these traits has compared it to “regular” food, and presumably subjects on a typical western diet, complete with high noise from other adverse agents. Until we have results from wheat-free low-carb high-fat populations with known healthy gut flora, we won’t have any real idea what the risks actually are. I’m not volunteering for the trials.

Glyphosate-resistant (RoundUp-Ready) is likely to have some glyphosate uptake. Applying it to the pre-emergent or growing plant is the whole point of it.

Bt corn will have Bacillus thuringiensis throughout.

Glufosinate-resistant corn (Liberty Link) may have uptake of this herbicide.

Imidazoline-resistant corn (Clearfield) may have update of this herbicide, which may be present in “non-GMO” corn, depending on how your country defines GMO. This strain was created by chemo-mutagenesis (aka: recklessly random gene insertion).

On the whole, corn is worth avoiding entirely, and like wheat, it takes some effort to avoid it, because it’s a common contaminant (ingredient) in processed foods.