Dunkin’ Donuts to the rescue?

Dunkin’ Donuts has announced their new line of gluten-free donuts, such as gluten-free Cinnamon Sugar Donut and a gluten-free Blueberry Muffin.

If it’s gluten-free, it must be good! Right?

Wrong. Fatally, irreversibly wrong. Dunkin’ Donuts is not the first to make this nutritional blunder. Post, Kelloggs, Nabisco, as well as Udi’s, Schar, and Glutino, have all demonstrated their incredible ignorance on nutritional issues, or at least their indifference.

Let’s take a source of starch, such as corn. (Let’s put aside modern issues, including genetic-modification of the corn plant, glyphosate residues, Bt toxin content, and breeding efforts to increase amylopectin/amylose content.) Let’s take “corn” as the intact kernels on a cob. This raises blood sugar substantially with a glycemic index of 52 to 60.

Now dry and pulverize the corn into cornmeal or cornstarch. By doing this, we increase the surface area for digestion exponentially, making digestion via the salivary and stomach enzyme, amylase, rapid and highly efficient. Glycemic index now? 78 for gluten-free corn pasta, 100 for cornstarch. Now that’s high.

Also note that the starch in cornstarch is typically the most rapidly digested amylopectin, not the somewhat less rapidly digested amylose (often called a “safe starch,” a misnomer because it is just a less harmful starch, not safe, another example of the flawed logic of nutrition).

So gluten-free donuts–or multigrain bread, bagels, muffins, or pretzels–are rapidly digested and yield very high blood sugars. This triggers insulin to high levels, which then leads to tissue insulin resistance which, in turn, leads to high blood sugar, high blood insulin . . . around and around, causing visceral fat accumulation, diabetes and all the phenomena of glycation: cataract formation, hypertension, kidney disease, heart disease, joint degeneration and arthritis, some forms of cancer, and dementia.

So NO member of the species Homo sapiens should be consuming such gluten-free products made with cornstarch, rice flour, tapioca starch, or potato starch. Once again, processed food manufacturers have, with their eagerness to generate profits at your expense, created something awful for health under the guise of something “healthy.”

(Note that I have a delicious recipe for healthy donuts in my upcoming Wheat Belly 30-Minute Meal Cookbook due out this December!)

This entry was posted in Gluten-free. Bookmark the permalink.

123 Responses to Dunkin’ Donuts to the rescue?

1. Nichole says:

I started a GF diet about one year ago, after I found out that gluten was causing stomach pain that was formerly thought to be ulcers. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid disease at the same time. I haven’t had a stomach problem since. :) I don’t know how much is diet and how much medication, but I am also feeling generally much better.

My dad (a neurologist) is a big fan of your book. He tells everyone about it. I was not completely convinced until I saw my recent lipid blood work. Basically, it was a 100% improvement in every direction, from borderline OK to excellent. It’s great to finally have some good news!

As for GF grain products, I have a question. I am 5’2″ and weigh 97 lbs. If I stop eating grains, more weight drops off. I am sure that if I could stop eating grains my inflammation would go down even further – obviously a worthy goal. How do I stop eating grains without losing more weight?

• Phytonym says:

I have the same problem (5’1″ 99lbs) only in addition I’m on a medication that also makes me lose weight. The things that work for me:
      1) Monitoring my weight daily, and adjusting my meals to compensate for any weight loss (If I lose too much weight at a time I add a ridiculous amount of toppings to everything. Cream cheese, sour cream, different kinds of cheese, GF gravy…) I chose to record my weight so I can see any trends, but it’s not necessary.
      2) High protein meals. (Might not help you, I seem to require lots of protein.)
      3) No foods that are labeled low fat. Real full fat yoghurt, especially greek yogurt, with different flavours of jam or sliced fruit is my go-to breakfastbrunchlunchsnack.
      4) Keep small snacks around (nuts, seeds, cheeses, doesn’t matter) and eat whenever you feel hungry.
      5) Keep food around that you like! If you don’t like the food in front of you, you aren’t going to eat enough.

Hope this helps :)

PS
      One can have coeliac and still test negative. Low (and high) BMIs are a symptom of coeliac, and in both cases BMI is normalised when put on a GF diet. So you might gain weight on a GF diet.

2. PMC says:

I don’t think there is any reason to criticize products like this for existing, obviously no one is going to think they are “healthy”, unless they are not very smart… But I have a friend who has severe celiac’s disease and cannot eat even a speck of wheat, but wants to be able to enjoy treats like cakes or donuts on occasion and isn’t doesn’t need to lose weight or anything, I think this kind of product is aimed at people like that rather than people who are trying to healthy all the time…. Even though I am healthy and wheat free most of the time, I still occasionally have treats I shouldn’t on special occasions because I wouldn’t enjoy life as much without them haha

• Bmindhorn says:

Over 40% of Americans do not believe in Evolution. Yes they are stupid. Get these products off the shelves.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

There are many cookbooks and on line recipes available for your “treats” which don’t include wheat or grains. Check paleo, primal sites too. Dr. Davis has written an excellent cookbook as have others. Wheat Free Market Foods has good products and several convenience items.

Here on this blog, we believe wheat/grains/sugar are a poison to everyone, even if you don’t show severe symptoms at the moment. At some point in your life, the effects will show itself in an illness. Every indulgence that “you can’t live without ha ha” will comeback and haunt you in later years….in some manner of illness.

3. Pingback: 92: Freda Mooncotch And Dr. Kelly Austin Enter The Calories vs. Carbs Debate | Low-Carb Conversations

4. Pingback: LCC (Episode 92): Freda Mooncotch And Dr. Kelly Austin Enter The Calories vs. Carbs Debate

5. sandy says:

Until you actually experience the horrible stomach problems
    that happan when you have a gluten allergy one cannot fully
    understand the awesomeness of having companies like Glutino,
    Udi’s and Schar’s for putting out the products they put out…
    As far as nutrition goes, thats what supplements are for, i sorry
    but i’d rather have to take supplements and be on the gljten free
    diet than have debilitating stomach cramps and diarreah and skin
    rashes that result from eating wheat, rye or barley…:)

6. BGK says:

People with celiac’s disease need to eat something so we can’t criticise all of the gluten free products.

7. Rianna says:

Please help….I have been eating wheat free for 4 months now, many thanks to your Wheatbelly book. It has definitely sent my body into weight loss mode as I have lost 8 kilos in that time according to my GP this morning I am now 71.8 kilo. As I have been type 2 diabetic for nearly 10 years now, I had nothing to loose but the weight, however, my GP has told me I need to stop loosing weight so fast or I will get gall stones (or kidney stones), she said I need to slow my weight loss to 1/2 kilo per month. I don’t know how I am going to do that and continue to eat as I am, I am eating plenty of food and never feel hungry unless I am well overdue a meal….what can I do to slow down my weight loss, I don’t really want to start eating snacky treats that are not good for me as I am due a series of blood tests in 4 weeks which will indicate my blood levels over the previous 2 months?

> … my GP has told me I need to stop loosing weight so fast
      > or I will get gall stones (or kidney stones), …

Although that is possible, no one has reported that happening here that I can recall. It’s a theoretical risk during weight loss, but you are the first to bring it up.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Rianna,

I converted your numbers to lbs You now weigh 158 lbs., having lost 17.6 lbs . of weight in four months. That averages a 1+lb. per week or 4.4 lbs. per month. This seems to be common at first and then slows as you reach a normal weight. Many people have reported this on this blog.

You might begin to explore the supplements Dr. Davis recommends. These are very helpful to replenish any nutrients that are lost during your shedding weight period and helps stabilize your system. Drink plenty of water too! This would be about 1/2 your body weight in ounces. The idea is to help flush out our cells/systems.

Unless you have a history of gall or kidney stones, then I wouldn’t be too concerned. Please to a web search on how kidney and gallstones form. This should ease your mind.

Your weight loss comes from losing excess water and then from your body beginning to burn fat for fuel intend of the sugar. I found that I lost less weight when I consumed more carbs and less fat when I was at the 4 month mark. You might try that: eat more than15 g.carbs per meal and/or decrease your fats slightly. Do this slowly and monitor the results. Do not indulge in the Never To East foods!

Let us know what your result is!

And strongly consider a new doctor, one who does not allow you to be diabetic with never consider giving you the advice to help you become less diabetic or non-diabetic.

Why would you take his advice seriously now?

8. Sarah Jordan says:

My husband and I are starting the journey of becoming wheat free. We have come across products that have rice flour. Is this OK to eat?