On again, off again; on again, off again

A reader who calls herself “Geisha” left this interesting comment on the Wheat Belliers Share Their Wheat Re-Exposure Experiences blog post:

It’s been enlightening reading this blog again–after 6 months absence.

I started wheat free early 2012, lost lots of weight, felt great, flat tum, food cravings under control.

Unwittingly, I started eating wheat on holidays in Japan at Christmas. Big bowel problems followed that re-exposure. Incredible how much energy I’ve lost this year, put on 8 kgs [17.6 pounds] in recent months, big bloated belly, up two pant sizes, sinus infections (never had sinus probs in my life), constant hip pain, facial pimples all over. Instead of walking/riding to and from work, I have been catching taxis for 6 am starts M-F.

Well, immediately after reading this site Friday, I stopped wheat: pain-free Sunday, bowel working, walking to work again this week, energy returned.

I’m kicking myself that I didn’t realize it was WHEAT!! I really thought I was on the way out, afraid to go to a doctor to be diagnosed with some dreadful disease. This is a magic cure, just had to stop the wheat. Incredible, except skin problems still evident. Thanks everyone for sharing.

This sort of experience confirms the effects of wheat in an individual: on again, off again. Lose weight, regain health by stopping wheat, all the problems come back with a vengeance when you resume. This is inarguable evidence of a cause-effect relationship in this person.

It really should come as no surprise that this grain–the seed of the grass plant, wheat–has toxic effects in humans. Wheat was never appropriate for human consumption. 10,000 years ago, we observed the grass that ibex and aurochs grazed on in the Fertile Crescent 10,000. When increasing temperature and dryness caused a shortage of foods of the sort we had consumed for the preceding 2.4 million years, in desperation we turned to the einkorn grass for food. If we consume the roots, shaft, or leaves of the einkorn wheat, we get nausea, diarrhea, and stomach aches, then pass much of the plant undigested, since we lack the digestive apparatus of grazing creatures. We somehow figured out that the only digestible part of the einkorn wheat plant was the seed, once the husk was removed, seed pulverized with stones, then heated (in primitive pottery). This food of desperation allowed us to survive another day, week, or month, but we unwittingly invited a staggeringly foul thing into our dietary menu.

The shenanigans of geneticists and agribusiness got into the act, making something bad into something far worse. Something that, even in its native state, untainted by human intervention, was inappropriate for human consumption, now dominates 20% of all human calories. With corn and rice, the seeds of these three grasses now constitute 50% of all human calories. We have become a race of grass seed-consuming creatures.

Such a situation is consistent with the grand design set for the world as dictated by Big Agribusiness, commodity grain traders (a HUGE world all of its own), and politicians. It allows top-down control over the world’s food, converting food from a local phenomenon to that of a commodity, permitting futures trading, hedges, and other complex derivative investments, ways that large sums of money can be made from food. (Can’t do that with green peppers!) If Russia wants 1000 tons of hard winter wheat, it can be shipped by ocean tanker and stored–transportability and shelf-life that few other foods can provide.

Cheap, scalable, transportable . . . and hugely profitable when traded on an international scale. Our own government tells us that we should eat this thing and it should dominate our daily meals. But when you eat it, you get sick. When you stop eating it, you get better. On again, off again–no further proof needed in an individual’s experience.

This entry was posted in Re-exposure syndromes. Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to On again, off again; on again, off again

1. Cindy says:

Today I received the results of my recent blood work. The dr is recommending I start Metformin 750 mg, as she believes insulin resistance is the cause of my high-risk lipoprotein numbers – apo B 115, LDL-P 1998, Lp(a) Mass 90, and Lp(a)-P 276. Family history of heart disease and diabetes. I have lost 20 lb since following Wheat Belly (March 2013). I bicycle 3-5 x/week. Is there anything else I can do to control my blood sugar numbers, which are rarely under 110, fasting or throughout the day? Is it too soon to begin Metformin? If not, is it possible to restrict carbs even more to reduce the dosage or discontinue altogether? I am having a difficult time accepting the taking of meds. At my next visit, eight weeks from now, I will also receive a prescription for some sort of niacin in order to decrease the Lp(a) numbers.

• lynn says:

I have an identical life to yours Cindy, I am eating small amounts of meat and avocados and desperate to see my sugar numbers come down. I’d love the answer too.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

The fast track to healing your body includes ALL the nutritional supplements recommended by Dr. D. Your body will heal itself as best as possible depending on your age, overall health and the condition/number of the beta cells in your pancreas. Your foods should have the lowest glycemic intake possible during this time of transition. No sugar at all and the only fructose is a small amount of fruit. It is a slow change back to health and not unusual for months and months to go by with small but steady improvements. Consumption of higher glycemic foods and sugars/fructose takes many days, possibly a week or more for your body to recover.
        It has been suggested , but not proven, that artificial sweeteners (even WB acceptable) may hinder keeping your system in the ketogenic state that you want for your exhausted pancreas to heal.

• Cindy says:

Barbara,
          According to my test results, the optimal range for vitamin D levels is between 30 and 100. My level is at 53. I am currently taking 4000 mg of D per day. Should I up the amount? I have not taken any pre or probiotics. No stomach/bowel issues since discontinuing wheat. Minimizing sugar has been difficult. I was doing so much better when I first started the WB lifestyle, but the past month my cravings for sugar have returned – tortilla chips, chocolate, and fruit. Giving up fruit has been the most difficult.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Read January 2013 archive for the nutritional supplements Dr. D. recommends. Magnesium is very important! Do an internet search for even more info. on this amazing substance. Sometimes more fat like coconut and olive oil helps.

• Diane says:

You might find a ketogenic diet could get your blood sugars under control and reduce your risks of heart disease and diabetes.

Some good information about the ketogenic diet here:

Read about Jimmy Moore’ success with nutritional ketosis here:

Foods to eat on a ketogenic diet:

• Cindy says:

Thanks, Diane and Barbara, for your input. More to read and learn. I am just plain stubborn about being on meds to control my pre diabetes. My family heart history has a lot to do with the doctor’s decision to put me on meds.

2. Kristi says:

I am reminded today of why I quit wheat 1.5 years ago. I have been very careful to not eat wheat, especially in going out to eat. From time to time I do eat some “gluten free” foods that I used to enjoy, as a treat only, and today was one of those days. Except instead of getting the gluten free version of my meal, the waitress accidentally brought me the full wheat version. I had eaten almost half before she realized the mistake. Not much I could do at that point except hope that my symptoms were not that bad. About 1 hour after eating, I felt a little nauseated, and started getting bloated and gassy. Within 4 hours, I had sharp pain in my stomach, and diarrhea. Sometimes Imodium will help, but then it stops me up for days and I end up still bloated and gassy. I chose to ride this one out, and boy oh boy did I pay for it. My joints ache, my head hurts, and I know that the next couple of days I am going to deal with the hunger pangs I get from eating wheat. If you haven’t yet, give up the wheat, it’s not worth the problems.

At least the waitress admitted her mistake.

They need to hear about such things, as there are also chefs and waitstaff who think this is just a bunch of neurotic people, not real issues with real consequences.

3. Lorraine says:

I have been wheat-free for about two years thanks to Dr. Davis. Along with a 25 pound weight loss, ( I am now a slim 130 lbs. at 5’3″ and 50 years young), I’ve also experienced many of the other benefits of a wheat-free diet – no more aches or knee pain, minimal allergies and illnesses, boundless energy, etc. etc. I never gave re-exposure much thought, as I am nearly always very careful about avoiding wheat.
    I made a big mistake two days ago on Labor Day. I was with friends and we went to a couple of wineries and then out to dinner. Between tasting the different wines, my friend handed me some wine crackers, and I ate them without thinking. When I did think about it, I thought, surely a couple of little wine crackers couldn’t hurt me. Then we went out to dinner and when I ordered salad I forgot to specify gluten-free dressing. The salad came with a creamy dressing that almost certainly had flour in it.
    I’ve paid for my mistakes dearly – I’ve had stomach cramps and diarrhea for the past two days. I will take re-exposure much more seriously from now on. It’s not worth the misery!!