Mucous flows where wheat goes

We’ve heard from many readers who have noticed marked changes in their upper respiratory health, including relief from chronic sinus congestion, repeated sinus infections, and asthma. Here’s another observation from Kayla, who describes relief from nasal mucus production.

My name is Kayla. I am a 26 year old mother of one and I live in Ontario, Canada. In January of this year, I was given a copy of your book, Wheat Belly, along with the cookbook.

6 years ago, I went from being extremely fit, playing college volleyball and many other sports in my spare time, including basketball and soccer. I was an athlete my whole life and never struggled with weight. I am 5’9 and I was 155 lbs. To some, that may sound heavy, but my muscle mass was large and even at 155 lbs I had a six-pack.

I stopped playing volleyball at a competitive level and went to Culinary school. A double negative! Although I loved cooking, within two and a half years time I had gained nearly 40 lbs.

In January of 2011, I became pregnant with my daughter. I was 192 lbs when I got pregnant with her. By the time I gave birth, I was 212 lbs. Within a week of having my daughter I was back down to 192 lbs. I carried my weight well. No one would have ever guessed I actually weighed what I did, but I still felt awful. Wearing a size 12 was not me. I had absolutely no confidence.

After receiving your book and reading it, I became completely enlightened. I was 100% committed to taking wheat out of my life. Within the first 8 days, I was absolutely amazed to step on the scale and see that I had lost 9 lbs!! I could not believe my eyes. Even my mind felt more clear.

When I moved in to our house in May of 2012, I seemed to constantly be congested with mucus. I thought it must be the pine trees upfront or possibly old cigarette smoke from people that lived there 7 years prior. 5 weeks after cutting wheat, I lay in my bed and suddenly I realized “Hey: I have no more mucus. What is different?” It only took me a minute to realize exactly what was different: I had no more mucus because I no longer ate wheat!

Today, I am happy to say that I have lost 33 lbs. I weigh in at 159lbs and I feel amazing! All this in just 6 short months! Last summer I was a size 12 and now I am a size 6!

In October of 2012, I started at a bootcamp. It was not until I eliminated wheat that I truly started to see the results. Today, I go to bootcamp 3-times a week, I eat well for the most part. A diet of low carb, moderate-high fat and high protein.

I can honestly say I never want to go back to eating wheat. Any time I have had a small amount here and there, I pay for it. I feel foggy, dizzy and, of course, the mucus comes back.

Thank you very much for helping change my life!

Nobody yet knows exactly what component of the Evil Grain is responsible–gliadin, wheat germ agglutinin, unique allergenic proteins such as alpha amylase inhibitors or omega-gliadin–for the peculiar increased flow of mucous, congestion, infection, airway sensitivity. After all, wheat has SO many undesirable components that it could be any one or some combination. (This also highlights how silly it is to genetically-modify wheat to remove the most destructive forms of gluten–it’s still full of other bad stuff!)

The reduction in mucous production in sinuses and airways is among the more common observations among the wheat-free, along with return of mucous in all its glory with re-exposure. Slender, energetic, freedom from excessive nasal discharge–the wheat-free life is good!

This entry was posted in Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Mucous flows where wheat goes

1. Janet says:

I was getting serial sinus infections and having to take the big gun antibiotics to even breath comfortably and then I quit wheat: In almost 2 years–not one sinus infection has sullied my life and when I get a cold it is mild and lasts about 4 days. Quitting the wheat for this reason alone was so worth it, but then so many good changes have happened to me without wheat.

2. Evie says:

I, too had all my chronic sinus and nasopharyngeal issues clear up on the wheat Belly plan, not to mention so many other issues. However as a thyroid patient I had an extreme return of the URI like sxs, when my usual replacement Rx , Levoxyl, was recalled/discontinued by Pfizer, and I was placed on generics and then another brand which contains lactose (I also gave up milk) aluminum dyes and gluten. It seems we are held hostage medically and nutritionally by Big Pharma and the food industry, and must stay vigilant always to protect our health. I will continue to try to find a safer thyroid replacement. Continued good health to you.

• gingerbread says:

Evie,
      if you are unable to get a doctor to prescribe a natural dessicated thyroid medicine like Armour, you can get over the counter bovine and porcine thyroid replacement from the health food store. You will have to self-regulate and slowly add capsules until you achieve a basal temp of at least 97.3 or higher upon waking. This could take many capsules because as a supplement the dosage is weaker. I have ordered Natural Dessicated Thyroid online called Thyro-Gold at http://www.naturalthyroidsolutions.com. This works well for me. I have been on it since about April. Thyro-Gold is bovine (cow) and contains all components of the thyroid, T1, T2, T3, and T4.

• gingerbread says:

Evie,
        Also, increase your dosages very slowly. Letting your body adjust to the thyroid medication for at least 2 weeks before an increase. Start small. I’m pulling for you!

• Michele says:

Try Armour – it made a HUGE difference for me. But, it’s hard to find a doc who will prescribe it – it’s the medication that was used before Synthroid was introduced by, you guessed it, BIG Pharma.

3. Simon Storey says:

I’ve been off wheat for almost a year. Normally I would had suffered from two sinus infections by now. Pleased to report no issues since giving up wheat.

4. Karen says:

So I have a question to pose – for all of this – could this be Candida and the removal of wheat limiting the food that Candida feeds on? I removed wheat from my life – but recently when through a really rough period I wasn’t eaten gluten – rather gluten free cottage cheese and grapefruit for breakfast then a salad for lunch and fish for dinner – not an ounce of it….but my nasal issues were back and so was my constipation. I added supplements but to no avail – and then I found out it was candida – the wheat allergy was a side effect of that. Mine is so bad it is in my nasal cavity so I will be on Candidase and a combo of herbal anti fungals for the next 2 months.

I don’t see candida on this list….why is that?

Because these are discussions about the most common problem of all: modern wheat.

I do believe there are people who have problems with Candida overgrowth, largely due to consumption of wheat, grains, and sugars. But the primary problem remains wheat, grains, and sugar, with candida overgrowth as part of the abnormal response in a minority.

5. JillOz says:

I still get a bit of blockage in my ear/nose/sinus area -still have some dairy and shd probably stop it – but nothing compared to when I was eating wheat.
    I don’t get vertigo in the car anymore, nor those incredibly painful ear pressure/infections.

The difference is quite incredible.

6. Pingback: Best Breast Augmentation Surgeons Utah

7. Connie says:

I started on a gluten free diet 3 years ago and kept going back and forth with it until 1 1/2 years ago in January. I eliminated corn as well, and after some great success sticking with it, I was finally able to convince my husband to do the same in hopes that it would help some multiple problems that he had. One benefit that I did not expect was that he has pretty much stopped snoring and sinus infections that plagued him constantly have been virtually eliminated. I find it all very amazing since there are camping stories that go back to his childhood where other family members talk about his snoring. 29 years of marriage and you can almost hear a pin drop in our room when he’s sleeping. Thanks!