How quickly does wheatlessness unfold?

Wheatlessness: the happy, healthy state achieved by not eating wheat.

A frequently asked question: Once you eliminate wheat, how fast do the benefits occur?

Well, it depends. It depends on what health issue we are discussing, what organ system, and how far along the process of wheat destruction you were.

Nonetheless, there are a number of common patterns that develop once you decide to eliminate all things wheat in your life:

Gastrointestinal
Acid reflux, bowel urgency–5 days is typical for these conditions to reduce or go away entirely.
Ulcerative colitis, Crohns–These complex inflammatory conditions require weeks to months. (Note that bowel flora is enormously disrupted by these conditions and can slow recovery. So it is VERY helpful to either undergo a bowel flora assessment and/or consider a high-potency probiotic for at least the first several weeks.)

Skin
The myriad rashes caused by wheat vary in their response. Seborrhea and acne generally improve within 5 days, while more complex skin conditions, such as psoriasis, can require weeks to months.

Mood, energy
First you have to get through wheat withdrawal, the 3- to 5-day long withdrawal from the opiates that derive from the digestion of the wheat protein, gliadin. Many of us have to endure several days of nausea, headache, fatigue, and depression first, but then you feel wonderful with better mood and more energy. Likewise, sleep responds similarly, with sleep disrupted at first, only to become deeper and more youthful after the withdrawal process.

Airways, sinuses
5-7 days are generally required to experience reduced airway spasm of asthma and reduced sinus congestion.

Joints
Pain and swelling in the wrist and fingers typically respond in 5 days, while larger joints such as the shoulder, knees, and hips require weeks or months.

Autoimmune conditions
The immune system gone haywire that characterizes autoimmune conditions generally require a longer time period to respond, likely due to the complex inflammatory pathways involved. The joint swelling of rheumatoid arthritis requires weeks to months to respond, not uncommonly with full response by 1-2 years. Other forms of inflammatory autoimmune phenomena, such as the skin rash of lupus and the muscle aches of polymyalgia rheumatica likewise require weeks to months.

Behavioral conditions
The behavioral outbursts and struggles with learning and attention in children with ADHD and autistic spectrum disorder respond within days to weeks. Likewise, the paranoia and auditory hallucinations of schizophrenia, the mania of bipolar illness, the low moods of (“unipolar”) depression, and the food obsessions of bulimia and binge eating disorder tend to respond within days to weeks. (Note that, in
these conditions, the result is not usually cure, but substantial improvement in symptoms. Cure can happen, but it is uncommon.)

Neurological impairment
As with autoimmune conditions, the inflammatory destruction of neurological tissue caused by wheat consumption, resulting in conditions such as cerebellar ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, gluten encephalopathy (dementia), and temporal lobe seizures, requires a longer time period to respond, typically months to years. Neurological tissue is very slow to recover, if it recovers at all. It is not uncommon to wait a year or longer for response.

Weight
Variable, but the typical response involves rapid weight loss of around 15-18 pounds the first month in people who were formerly avid wheat consumers. (It can also vary depending on the status of bowel flora, thyroid status, degree of insulin and leptin resistance present at the start, quantity of carbohydrates remaining in the diet, among others.) It is also not clear why some people lose waist circumference first without a corresponding weight loss–reduction in inflammation in visceral fat?

Blood sugar
Blood sugar will drop immediately upon cessation of wheat consumption . . . unless weight loss develops.

If weight loss develops, it means that there will be a flood of fatty acids into the bloodstream, representing the release of energy from fat stores. These fatty acids block insulin and raise blood sugar and HbA1c (the long-term measure of blood sugar fluctuations) and persists for the entire period while weight loss is ongoing. Once weight loss subsides and weight plateaus, then blood sugar drops over several weeks, followed by a more gradual reduction in HbA1c. So the reduction in blood sugar that develops in diabetics and pre-diabetics depends greatly on the amount of weight that has to be lost.

There are others, but those are the most common experiences. Now, can you name any other food that, when eliminated, yields such extraordinary benefits? Wheat is the only one I know of–because it ain’t wheat!

This entry was posted in Wheat-ectomy, Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

107 Responses to How quickly does wheatlessness unfold?

1. SusieW says:

As a type II diabetic on oral rx, my experience with going totally grain/starch/sugar free (x 3+ months) has been that, yes, my sugars began dropping right away…for about 2-3 weeks. They then stopped dropping and began going back up. Had some modest weight loss. But now, the better I eat and the more active I am (weight lifting, hiking, etc), the higher my sugars have gone. I keep to less than 25 grms of carbs/day, mainly protein and veggies. I have about 25-30 lbs to lose. I’m clueless as to why my blood sugars are up. What’s that about, & how is it corrected? This has been a great and easy way for me to eat. I love it and don’t stray off the path. What an important book this is! Thanks so much for writing it. Your life must surely have gotten very interesting since it came out :-) Thanks to discovering your book about a year ago, I’ve also read Maria Emmerich, Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, Jeff Volek, Jason Seib, Loren Cordrain, Gary Taubes, Michael & Mary Dan Eades, and many more. It’s been an amazing experience! Now–to find an MD/ND who knows what’s going on.

The two most common reasons for this are:

1) Ongoing weight loss–Weight loss involves mobilizing a flood of fatty acids into the bloodstream which antagonizes insulin, resulting in higher blood sugars. This subsides once weight loss subsides and can be dramatic.

2) You are taking drug(s) that impair your ability to reduce glucose, most notably diuretics like hydrochlorothiazide, statin drugs, and beta blockers like metoprolol or atenolol.

• SusieW says:

Thanks for your reply. I am doing none of #2…no beta blockers, diuretics, etc. Will watch for the drop in sugars as my weight loss continues. BTW, I think your 2nd book was even better than the first one! Hope you make it out to the Pacific NW at some point.

Thanks, Susie!

I will indeed be speaking in Seattle and Portland in the next few months. I will announce here and on the Wheat Belly Facebook page at the appropriate time. Come by and say hi!

• Kyth Trantham says:

Have you heard of any relief from trigeminal neuropathy?

2. Amanda says:

Can you please provide scientific, peer-reviewed articles pertaining to gluten sensitivity and ADHD? I recently attended a research symposium in which a noted scientist disputed the link between ADHD and gluten, stating that without a firm celiac diagnosis, there is no scientific evidence of a link. I’d be curious to see what research you rely upon. (I’m quite curious and open to reading articles from either position).

Please see the references cited in the book, Amanda. There are 16 pages of references, including a sampling of those relevant to ADHD.

• Uncle Roscoe says:

The problem with autoimmune diseases is the medical profession universally recognizes only one of them as being caused by gluten …..celiac disease. There is little to distinguish the cause-and-effect relationship between celiac disease and other gluten antibody-positive autoimmune diseases. The only difference between these diseases and celiac disease is proximity of both gluten and disease symptoms to the small intestine lining.

So in the eyes of medical establishment skeptics linking other autoimmune diseases to gluten ingestion requires linking other autoimmune diseases to celiac disease. For every autoimmune diseases studied for this relationship the correlation has been overwhelmingly positive.

ADHD displays a similar bias in the medical establishment, as shown by this article:

“If a child’s behavioral and/or learning problems are improved by a gluten-free diet, he is not likely to have ADHD. This is why it is important that a complete medical workup is completed before a child is diagnosed with ADHD or learning disorders.”

Restated …..If a person displays all the symptoms of ADHD, but tests positive for gluten-related antibodies, then it’s not ADHD. Excuse me? Why doesn’t the assumption run the other direction? If a large number of people with ADHD test positive for gluten-related antibodies then isn’t this evidence that the remainder of ADHD sufferers could be suffering from gluten attack with as-yet unconfirmed gluten pathways?

At least the above article recognizes and cites the vastly higher incidence of ADHD among celiac disease sufferers. There are two pathways which make direct correlation between most diseases, including ADHD, and wheat ingestion impossible:

1. Wheat peptides attack tissue, but the body does not create test-able antibodies.
      2. Wheat causes the small intestine to become porous, passing undigested wheat peptides and other undigested food antigens into the bloodstream. The other food antigens attack tissue, and elicit antibodies.

Both of the above pathways are caused by wheat ingestion, but neither are testable for a cause-effect relationship between symptoms and wheat ingestion. I’m placing the onus back on the medical establishment. Either provide the tools which test these pathways or inject reasonable criteria for these studies. Then we’ll have a starting point.

• Neicee says:

Uncle Roscoe, thank you for posting this article. I’m sure many sufferers of ADHD will likely be placed on mind-altering prescription drugs before any of the docs ever get around to testing them for celiac or gluten intolerance. Makes these young people with it fear they are crazy or will never be able to kiss those drugs goodbye. And, many parents are so torn they will accept the diagnose with no questions asked.

3. Katie says:

In the last 3 weeks my entire family has all gone wheat free and we are all feeling great!!! The difference between wheat-full and wheat-free diet is more than I can put into words, so first off thank you immensely for the huge help. The question, is for the last two days I’ve been feeling bloated and sluggish again and my weight loss has plateaued, is this a common problem or is there something I can do to detox or jump start my body again?

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Katie,

First, check your food ingredients to make sure wheat is not in them. Then check for high fructose corn syrups, sugars, other grains, etc. Then make sure you are drinking enough water, at LEAST 48 oz. daily. Your carb count should be no more than about 50 daily. Check the wheat belly quick and dirty post for food list. It is not uncommon for this to happen. Probiotics are very helpful as are the other supplements Dr. D. recommends. Also, remember that it takes up to a week to recover from inadvertent ingestion of grains or too much sugar.

It is helpful to keep reading this blog. Many people have fits and starts and then look back to realize that it is something they did or didn’t do, ate or didn’t eat is impeding their progress.
      Hope this helps.

> … weight loss has plateaued, is this a common problem …

Common, yes. Universal, no.

See:

4. Jennifer says:

Dr. Davis, first let me say thank you SO much for taking the time to answer questions. I have combed through and read so many responses and have learned as much there as I have by reading your books!
    A month ago I was at a party where someone made an offhand comment about celiac disease and they listed all the symptoms my ten year old daughter has had all of her life. I immediately went home and did research and took her and I off of wheat the next day. I did it with her so that I would be more aware of what she was eating if I was checking it out for myself too and to support her since it was a big step for her.

So I have one question for each of us :)
    1. Her skin has become a million times worse. And each time we hit a new worse I think ok, she’s just detoxing and this is probably “it will get worse before it gets better”. Twice we’ve taken her to the dr because I’m so scared with all of her open cuts that she had an infection and was sure they were going to hospitalize her (this has happened before). (Pustules, fever, swolen glands, mega itchiness). Both times they said she was fine and prescribed her usual topical steroid (which I refuse to use anymore). Today though she hit an all time worse and looks like she has a cross between severe acne and chicken pox. And even though she has had to deal with people making comments and kids making fun of her skin her whole life today for for the first time ever she chose (in the midwest summer!) to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt to the fair. It breaks my heart because she is being such a trooper and being so trusting of what I’m trying to do but she’s really struggling. I’ve started her on a probiotic, fish oil and eating/using coconut oil. I know you said it can take months to see improvement but is there anything else I can be doing for her? Is she truly still detoxing and if so is there anything I can do to help that along?
    2. Me :) So I initially did this to show her that we would be a team and do it together and that I wasn’t picking on her and that I really wanted to help her get better. In two days I noticed my pants were fitting better and I had found your cookbook when looking for gluten free recipes and was so surprised when I started reading about the weight loss. I have not weighed myself in two years because no matter what I do I cannot lose more than ten pounds. So I thought well since I seem to be losing I should weigh myself in case I lose more than ten pounds and in reading your book saw why I was losing weight and was curious. However a month in on some days I’ve lost as much as 13 pounds I pretty much hover right around that ten pound mark. Two years ago I went to my dr complaining that I cannot lose more than ten pounds no matter what I do. I asked to have my thyroid tested, she said it was fine and it was just my age (33 at the time). I also complained of severe periods and insomnia. She put me on birth control (my tubes are tied) and told me to take sleeping pills and sent me on my way. The birth control pills made me suicidal within three days of taking them and so they suggested I might want to stop (duh!!!) and to this day I cannot sleep at night without a pill. After reading your checklist of why you’re not losing weight I revisited the thyroid idea again because I saw that the other things I complain about seem to go with the thyroid. (after making sure everything else I was doing correctly on the check list) I have found out just this week that both of my aunts and grandma all on the same side of the family all have under active thyroids and are on medication (they’re of course all thin lol). I’m about 70 pounds overweight and have not cheated one single bit. I’m loving being wheat free and have since had my entire family go wheat free and we are not turning back after everything we’ve learned. We don’t cheat at all to the point that now if we accidentally eat something we get very sick. I’m committed to doing this but am SO frustrated about not losing weight. After reading your post on thyroids I ordered an iodine supplement and am crossing my fingers it works. My question is….if it doesn’t what would I need to say to my dr to get her to really listen to what I’m saying and that maybe “normal” isn’t normal for me? My only other thought about what I’m eating every day is can you eat too few carbs?
    Thank you so much for reading my novel. I’ve been trying to find someone local I can talk to and so far just can’t seem to find anyone that knows what I’m talking about with the wheat!

Hi, Jennifer–

It sure sounds like there is something going on with your daughter that may go beyond wheat elimination. Yes, wheat elimination is a very powerful tool, including in gaining control over many skin rashes, but the complicated response she is showing suggests something else is going on.

Your daughter and your experience suggests that your primary obstacle right now are the doctors. Your doctor, in particular, has done you several disservices. I would urge you to NOT count on this person for solutions, as they sound quite uninformed. Thyroid insights alone can make or break a health and weight loss program, but is botched up routinely by uninformed practitioners.

For both you and your daughter, your best bet is to start with a functional medicine practitioner who will consider nutritional, biochemical, as well as conventional medical causes and solutions.

• Liza says:

Has your daughter been eating a lot of dairy? She could have a sensitivity to casein protein in dairy products, causing all these skin breakouts.

• Jennifer says:

We have backed her way off of dairy because I suspected that as well but I’m still not seeing a big difference. No milk and just a little bit of cheese and yogurt.

5. Jennifer says:

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ve also considered that it’s possibly candida for her? Do you have any suggestions for what kinds of questions I need to ask to find the type of dr that I’m looking for? I’ve been asking around to friend etc. and no one has had any good recommendations.

• samudra says:

FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE is a type of practice. just like internal medicine, or dermatology, or whatever. so, look for a doctor of functional medicine. that’s the type of doc i see and it makes all the difference. good luck to you and your daughter.

6. Howard says:

Dear Dr. Davis:
    Before I give you my results I must preface that after being wheat free for almost 5 months I feel pretty good. Thank you!
    I have not experienced the weight loss that others have but did lose around 10 pounds (unfortunately a few have found there way back).
    My goal was to eliminate as much medication as possible from my daily regiment and to eliminate joint pain and stomach issues. I had been taking medication for high cholesterol, high blood pressure and type II diabetes.
    Well, my stomach problems are much improved and my joint pains are much better (although joint pains were most likely caused by statins which I stopped taking with doctors consent in mid April). Added 1200mg of fish oil as a substitute.
    Blood test results are from before wheat free 11/20/12, after 2 months 3/13/13 and after 5 months 6/18/13:
    Cholesterol, 183,199,258
    HDL 49,52,50
    Triglycerides 156,86,108
    LDL 103,119,186
    a1c 5.7,5.8,5.5
    The bad news is obvious, cholesterol and LDL’s jumped after going off statins. The good and bad news is I also reduced my actos in half in mid April from 30mg to 15mg in hope that I would be able to lose weight. Bad news, didn’t lose the weight but my a1c has continued to improve even after reducing actos.
    My internist approves of your wheat free approach but is confused as I am about why I am not losing weight from significant reduction in carbs. I can honestly say that I have been very diligent in watching my wheat intake although I cannot guarantee that wheat may not have accidentally and unknowingly been ingested through prepared food.
    I will continue to be wheat free but my doctor is recommending I take my statin (livalo 4 mg) every other day as my cholesterol is too high.
    Dr. Davis, what are your thoughts about not losing weight and my high cholesterol?

• Howard says:

Boundless, thank you for the reply. Yes, I have read the article and was considering a fast to jump start my weight loss. I think weight loss is the key to better health and in turn better blood stats.

• Uncle Roscoe says:

As an experienced lay person, it seems to me that you and your physician should be considering cutbacks in all of your medication as your indicators improve.

The lipid panel your doctor ran seems to be a standard old-time lipid panel. It counts total cholesterol and HDL cholesterol, then subtracts HDL from the total to derive the LDL number. Regardless of the fact that you have an extremely inaccurate LDL reading, all recent research says that your real LDL number, like your HDL number, of themselves, are insignificant. The real atherosclerosis cholesterol marker is compact low density lipoprotein, or CLDL.

CLDL particles are a subset of LDL particles. I would say to have your doctor run a CLDL count on a new blood sample, but given his record he would not know what the results would mean.

Your hba1c levels are improving, and that’s significant. It says that glycation is reducing in your body. Given that both atherosclerosis and CLDL production are products glycation, I’d say your overall problems are improving. You have been at an extremely bad place. This could take time.

Try not to age during this time.

7. Worried teenager says:

I am a 22-year old teenager who was told by my doctor that I have a (non-alcoholic) fatty liver ! It scared the living daylights out of me to know that I have such a thing at such a young age. I think I know how I got it, it must be my eating habits and loads of wheat in my diet. I am famous for being a big eater in my circle of friends and family for someone of my size (I am of relatively small stature and small build), and I binge eat A LOT. Furthermore, I can’t help with the binge eating, I just need to eat all the time! However, the weird thing is, I am in no way ‘fat’ in the traditional sense, in fact many people asked me to put on some weight, but I do have an unsightly ‘belly’. After listening to your e-book, I am going to start eliminating wheat from my diet. I agree with everything you said, but I have one major gripe, you said to avoid polyunsaturated fats and I find this advice hard to stomach, because conventional medical wisdom states that polyunsaturated fats increases HDL and lowers cholesterol levels which is good, hence why eating oily fish, such as salmon is said to be good. And yet, you said polyunsaturates are bad. I understand that hydrogenated fats are bad, because they are ‘saturated’. i.e. they don’t contain any C-C double bonds, but why is polyunsaturates ‘bad’ as it is the ‘total opposite’ of hydrogenated fats? Can you clarify on this matter ? Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you for your time and attention.

Hi, Worried–

On the bright side, you have found understanding of some of these issues at your early age. You’ve been duped by conventional advice; now you are empowerered.

Omega-6 fatty acids, such as linoleic acid, fuel the inflammatory/thrombotic pathways that lead to heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. It does not mean that you should avoid them; it simply means to not indulge in them at the level that most Americans do. Also, get your omega-3 fatty acids from fish and/or fish oil.

You will, the deeper you dig, find many such fictions in conventional nutritional thinking.

• Worried teenager says:

Dear Dr Davies

Thanks for clarifying that, it is really nice of you to take the time to reply to the comments.

8. Pingback: Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low carbohydrates to lose weight, feel fit, and improve your health in a few weeks! | WWW.BESTBUYPRO.COM

9. Pingback: How quickly do you notice the effects after stopping eating wheat? - Going Paleo UK

10. Les says:

Hello Dr. Davis,
    I just read some of the posting regarding the changes and improvement of wheat free diet.
    I have been on the program since Jan. 2013 while I have benefited from weight loss (about 25 lbs)
    I haven’t had other health improvements that I had hoped for. My motivation for going on the program was to get as healthy as possible to fight IPF that I was diagnosed with April of 2011.
    I have chronic pain that no doctor can identify the cause of, my lung doctor yesterday told me flat out that he didn’t believe my pain was related at all to my IPF.
    My primary care doctor has me on pain medicine and it varies daily as to how well it works.
    I hoped to get some relief of joint pain I have in my legs with the wheat free diet, it hasn’t helped at all.
    Mainly I have weight loss and Gastrointestinal relief that had been with me for years, not much of any other improvements in general health.
    I’m just wondering how many others have had small improvements in health?
    I have another issue that happen during the first drug trial I was in and that is my taste was damaged to the point that there are very few foods that have any taste to me that is appealing. I know I’m odd man out here, but just thought I would write.

Fan of wheatbelly,
    Les

Hi, Les–

I would argue that EVERYBODY benefits in one or more ways by eliminating modern wheat. Your improvement in gastrointestinal health and metabolism (thus the weight loss) argues for major underlying improvements in health. The fact that knee pain persists suggests that it is a variety not caused by wheat.

You might benefit by considering other food intolerances, e.g., dairy.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Lee,

I found that the older and perhaps the more compromised your system is, the longer it takes for your body to heal itself. It is starting to cleanse itself, perhaps in fits and starts. You will know by the way you feel. Look back to exactly what you ate in the previous 24-48 hours.

I started WB in mid December. Each month or so, I reacted differently to many foods. Took myself off anything soy, then reintroduced it slowly in small amounts. All sugars and sweeteners too! Found that I like saccharin to sweeten coffee and tea. Absolutely dislike the taste of the others and have a cabinet shelf full of expensive sweeteners. Sigh. Most sweetened packaged foods make me gag now so I make my own ice cream and baked items. Hopefully I can reintroduce the other sweeteners successfully. Same with nuts. I can tolerate almond meal in baked goods, but snacking on them gives me tinnitus. Foods in general taste much better to me now that the inflammation in my body has decreased. Small amounts of spices enhance rather than smother the test like too much hot pepper will smother the taste of chicken.

I found that all the supplements Dr. D. recommends are extremely helpful and worth every penny. When I forget to take them, I feel it a few days later.
        Forget to drink enough water? I feel it! Not enough veggies? Same thing.

Basic rule of thumb seems to be: give your body time to heal, hydrate and supplement nutrients while eating the WB way. While you may not be cured of your illness, overall positive changes in cell and organ function should slowly improve the way you feel. Dr. D. has mentioned in previous comments that it can take a few years resolve many autoimmune issues. Depending on age, severity and damage to your organs, you might never fully regain your health but at least you will be the best you can be.

11. Bailey says:

Today marks the end of the 1st full month doing Wheat Belly. I have found that this way of eating is easy to follow and is not boring. I wake up excited for the day of what fuel for my body I will be consuming and it’s has not been boring. My moods are much better, sleep is deeper, energy has soared and digestion issues severely reduced, which is wonderful. Six days in, I was already starting to be able to wear clothes I could not get into the weekend before. Today, my clothes fit well and some are loose and will need to be replaced. I learned many lessons and new things over the course of the past month and am thankful for the new wisdom and understanding for how and why the body works the way it does.

I accidently wheated myself twice, but now that I know what happened, it is easily corrected and a great reminder to READ ALL LABELS, and stick to Whole food as much as possible vs packaged food. Also, I have really tried to stay away from Gluten Free foods and not become dependent on them or replace old foods I used to eat with the Gluten Free version. This has been extremely helpful! Yesterday, I attended a Birthday party and everyone commented how good I looked, but when the food was served and I did not eat certain items, especially the cake, they all advised me about Gluten Free cakes and suggested two or three different Bakeries they knew of where I should get something to celebrate my birthday in the coming months. Peer PRESSURE Ha Ha AAAGH!

Family and friends have already noticed inches lost as well as any new pictures of me. I’m less afraid of having my picture taken The Scale shows an 8lb loss, which I am thankful for. I know that this is a sustainable lifestyle because of the enormous reduction in hunger and how good I feel. Earlier this week, on 2 different days, I realized that I had gone almost (8) full hours during the day without eating. I felt like I needed to force myself to have a little something in the early evening to sustain me until Breakfast the following day and it turned out fine. One of my favorite treats is Hot Tea with Full Fat Whipping Cream. The Fat helps with hunger. This has been a huge revelation for me. I have just over 100lbs to go. That idea may change as my body gets smaller. Mentally, I need to be out of the Obese category and am excited for the ability and probability to make it happen!

Thank you, Dr. Davis!

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Bailey,

You are off to a wonderful start! It just keeps getting better the longer you stay grain and sugar free.
      Along the way you might be interested in the supplements Dr. D. recommends and also remember to keep hydrated. On the left side of this blog there in a listing of nutritional topics. Worth reading!
      For an extra special birthday celebration, you may consider a key lime pie with a nut crust that is lined with a layer of chocolate. Delish! Your friends and family will like it too!
      Also consider joining Wheat Free Forum for discussions of foods, helpful hints and just general ideas of how other people are dealing with their new life style and regained health.

12. Paula A. says:

Anyone! Have been on Wheat Belly 2 weeks and immediately noticed that I am so dizzy almost all day and even when I turn over in bed at night. Other than that, I am loving all the benefits all ready! No pain in my shoulders, hips, knees. Stomach getting flatter, clothes feeling big, more energy, not so anxious at work, more focused.

Wondering if combination of my daily meds and wheat belly are causing the dizziness. Not vertigo. I take Losartan, HCTZ, Atenalol, Lipitor, Synthroid, Amlodipine, Kepra, Fish Oil. Only had occasional dizziness when getting out of a chair, now it’s 24/7 and sometimes I look like a drunk when I’m walking around. This came on suddenly-also nausea, which went away after 2-3 days.

Several possibilities, Paula:

1) You are dehydrated. This is very likely, especially since you take a dehydrating agent, HCTZ.

2) You have low blood pressure–yet are on antihypertensive drugs. This could be dangerous and should be addressed ASAP.

Also, note that atenolol blocks weight loss. And that taking Synthroid is rarely adequate for thyroid correction, as it only contains the T4 thyroid hormone. You sure you have a doctor you can trust? Sounds like you have been victim to a drug-pusher.

13. Nic says:

Dear Dr Davis

In your book you mentioned that when it comes to dairy products, cheese is the best, because the fermentation process reduces the lactose content, and thus it is the least insulinotropic. However, from what I gathered, although cheese is very low in lactose, its high amino acid content still promotes insulin release due to gluconeogenesis, whereas, butter is the best dairy product because it is 80% fat and only <1% total carbohydrate and total protein (e.g. on the nutritional label of the Kerrygold grass-fed butter that I buy, it says 80g fat, <1g carbohydrate, <1g protein per 100g). Therefore, shouldn't butter be the least insulinotropic ? What is your take on this ?

Thanks a lot.
    Nic

14. Lisa says:

I am curious about the effects of wheat with Graves Disease. Do you have any research or patient studies? I find most infomation I read usually refers to hypothyroidism. I have been working on wheat free which can be challenging at times. I do feel better when I am successful. I would appreciated any information on hyperthyroidism. Thank you for stepping out of the comfort of conventional medicine. It is not any easy thing to do in that community.

Respectfully,

Lisa

15. Barb says:

Hi Dr Davis,

Last January I had a sudden start to rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. I had pain in the middle joints of my fingers and then swelling. I was put on prednisone while figuring out what was wrong and then methotrexate. Am off prednisone and am lowering the methotrexate dose as fast as I can, now down to 10 mg. per week. I tried to go to 7.5 mg last week but had some increase in pain. Have changed my diet significantly and now with your book am making sure I do not eat any wheat. Do you think I can be off meds completely if I lose the wheat and symptom free, or once the RA is kicked off one will always be dealing with it?

Thanks for your time and opinion, Barbara

Many people, probably MOST, with rheumatoid arthritis are able to reduce or stop their medications. Note that rheumatoid arthritis has been documented to respond to wheat/gluten elimination in a large clinical study.

However, the response generally requires several months to fully develop. So patience pays!

Attention to bowel flora is also important when an autoimmune condition is part of your health struggles.