Type 1 diabetes . . . cured?

Carrie posted this wonderfully thought-provoking comment about her diabetic son:

My 13 yr old son was diagnosed over a year ago with Type 1 [diabetes]. Before his diagnosis, I was very ‘green’ — bought organic foods, bought meat from free-range, grass-fed local farms, cleaned my house with products I made myself from vinegar and natural products. But we did follow the low-fat, low-calorie, high-fiber, healthy whole grain diet. We were told “eat whatever you want” — just dose for it [with insulin] and be healthy (yep: low-fat, high-fiber, etc.)

I didn’t think so: If he has a carb problem, then limit carbs! We immediately went low-carb, causing us to remove a lot of wheat products, but didn’t know about the damages of gluten then.

His last two A1Cs [hemoglobin A1c's, a 60-90 day reflection of blood sugar fluctuations] have been 5.3% [normal range]. He was taken off his basal insulin and his bolus, continuing to less and less. Today, he is OFF insulin! YES, he is a Type 1 diabetic: They double-checked for the antibodies in case he was misdiagnosed–they are there. Even without insulin, his blood sugars are better than me or his dad, or even sister (we all check now). And all this while growing over 5 inches in one year, going through puberty and the stomach flu with no problems (scary for Type 1 diabetics).

His doctors are amazed. We all still did not know how he was this way, until someone shared with me Wheat Belly. We are all going completely gluten-free now and staying low-carb. Maybe my asthma will be gone and my daughter’s horrible itchy rash all over her arms will finally leave!

Absolutely wonderful book, thank you!

Wow. We know that consumption of modern wheat is associated with causing type 1 diabetes in children, average age of onset 4 years old. This is true in humans, as well as in two experimental models for type 1 diabetes in both rats and mice. This is not to say that all type 1 diabetes is caused by wheat consumption, but that an important subset is caused by wheat. But then how many other correctable causes of type 1 diabetes are you aware of?

Think about this: Type 1 diabetes in children, a diagnosis for life for the majority of those afflicted, a potentially fatal disease prior to the availability of insulin, is caused by consumption of wheat in some kids. That alone is concerning.

What if ALL kids with type 1 diabetes did what Carrie’s son did and rejected all things wheat? Would some enjoy the same apparent regeneration of pancreatic beta cells that allowed her son to become non-type 1 diabetic?

There is no answer, as the clinical trial to provide the answer has not been performed. But is this incredibly exciting or what? Even if only 1% are cured, why not try? That 1% can be spared this life long diagnosis.

No: Humans are NOT meant to consume “healthy whole grains.” Our intolerance can show up as type 1 diabetes in kids, type 2 diabetes in kids and adults, acid reflux, bowel urgency, autoimmune diseases, dementia, seizures, hypertension, water retention, paranoia, anxiety, eating disorders, or just feeling rotten. It can show up in a myriad of ways because they do not belong in the human body.

This entry was posted in Diabetes, Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

180 Responses to Type 1 diabetes . . . cured?

1. Nadia Ansari says:

Wow, *love* this post; I wholeheartedly believe!
    I am also a type 1, diagnosed in February, and through cutting out all grains (and sugar, processed carbs etc) then have managed to stabilise and maintain my blood sugars. I do believe it’s possible; I’ve read about many others who have done so too.

You can read more about my story / journey at mysweetlife.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/mysweetlife

Anything’s worth an attempt: if we shoot for the moon we may land amongst the stars… :)

2. David Rozell says:

Hello,my name is David & I have had Type 1diabetes now for 21yrs,have struggled alot with this & would like to change my diet to better myself,have had alot of seizures from low sugar & other various problems,would like to heal myself so this nolonger hangs over me,its hard to work & make ends meet dealing with sugar,I also have a son & want to be around for him later in life without health issues,if you could help direct me in ways of healing Please email me at drozell1975@gmail.com Ty so much & this has gave me hope,Im also trying to gain weight cause Im to skinny,let me know of ways to function at work,gaining weight & natural energy needed throughout my days,I wanna say Goodbye to Insulin shots & checking sugars

• Paul says:

Hi David,
      I read the article then scrolled down to see what folks have to say about it. I then saw your comment. First of all I am not discrediting the story about the kid with T1 and his “cure”. But, we must remember that T1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease which means it’s with us forever, no matter what you eat or how you live your life. Afterall, the author of the story stated that they went back to the Dr. to ensure the child was…are you ready? still diabetic and they STILL found the antibodies (which show his body was treating itself as a body inflicted with a beta cell killing virus). For me, the jury is still out on this case (if he was really cured). I WILL vouch for cutting down (or completely cutting out) carbs. For me, carbs skyrocket my BG’s and I have to bolus to correct. Most of my foods are lean meats, eggs, nuts and fruits. My BG’s are great 90% of the time except when I eat fruits or the occasion when I go out and splurge on a burger and beer. On those occasions I bolus appropriately and all is well. I also get plenty of exercise, and that is vital. There are many YouTube vids telling stories of a similar nature (T1 being cured), but what I have found is that people who claim to have been cured eat scantily and avoid carbs and fruits and other such food items that will raise BG. But, once one of them eat a burger, or a simple tortilla for that matter their BG will no doubt rise. I’ve had this stupid disease for 27 years. I have had my share of extreme lows and extreme highs. It sucks, but it’s with me forever no matter how well I eat. The best thing I can tell you (and I am no doctor, this is my opinion it’s what works for me) is limit carbs. I have gone many days in a row without ever bolusing while not consuming carbs. Of course, my body is receiving it’s share of basal from my pump. For without my basal flow my BG will slowly, dangerously rise. Eat properly and exercise. Also, you said you were trying to gain weight. TALK TO A DOCTOR about that. I can tell you to throw cake and pizza down your throat for three months in a row, but you’d be doing more harm than good I believe. Diabetes sucks, but if you chill out and control it, it’s really no thing. Peace, dude.

3. Lin says:

My son was dx at age 5 (now he is 10) Don’t know how long after his vaccine but I’m pretty sure it’s close. I never thought about that until reading comments here so I will def have to look at my papers. When he was dx shortly after he was dx with celiac(a few days) we went gluten free but still to this day he has diabetes & needs insulin daily. I’m am curious about low carb & think I’ll give it a try but as for no carb I’m waay to scared to do that. If it were myself I’d give it a go but I can’t bring myself to risk it on my baby. God bless you all & thanks for all your knowledge!!

• Joan Mac Donald says:

My daughter is 11, was diagnosed after she turned 6.
      I have my own theories on how a healthy child, with no family history of diabetes; contracted an autoimmune disease.( vaccines). Anyway, how does one not eat food with carbs and not have constant low blood glucose? The smallest bit of exercise and her sugar drops to extremes even with extra carbs?I don’t get it…

4. Lauranne says:

One of my family members has type 1 diabetes and another has type 2 diabetes. Both are caused by the same disease ie Lyme Disease (Borrelia). Lyme Disease is a spirochete that can also reside within the cells of the body. The immune system recognises the pathogen within the cell and launches an inflammatory attack to destroy the cell in order to access and kill the pathogen within it. Doctors call this an ‘autoimmune disorder’. Lyme Disease makes the immune system hyper sensitive, causing all sorts of allergies and different kinds of autoimmune disorders. Lyme Disease coexists with co-infections and micro-parasites. The Lyme Disease Association of Australia offers information in relation to testing and treatment for the disease. IGeneX are the Gold Standard of testing for this disease. Since treatment the insulin requirements of both above mentioned individuals have reduced significantly. Treatment for chronic Lyme takes a minimum of 2.5 years. Lyme Disease can be passed on inutero. Ticks are not the only source of transmission.

5. JoEve says:

The link between T1D and wheat was discovered 4 years ago:

6. Jill says:

I have had Type 1 diabetes since age 9 for 35 years and have been tested for Lyme Disease Antibodies and I have never had Lyme’s Disease.

7. from Denmark says:

Dear Dr. Davis
    Thank you for your website and inspiring blog.
    Could you say something about your experience with betacell regeneration? Is it realistic to see that happen in a type 1 child?

8. James says:

Hi,

It is amazing. I am in my late 60′s and was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 about 7 years ago. It changes your live and not something I wish for a child. My ex wife had Diabetes 1 since 11 years old and eventually it caused her death.

Al this caused an interest in Diabetes – causes and cures). I’ve also read an interesting article about the increase in diabetes cases with is alarming. Even animals are not to spare. We have currently a 6 month old German Shepherd puppy which has Diabetes 1 (need 2 injections per day).

Any case – wonderful that someone was able to reverse it!

A great Blog, Thank You…