Maria Emmerich’s Protein “Noodle” Lasagna recipe

If you haven’t already stumbled on the fabulous recipes (and photography) of Maria Emmerich, well, then . . . you should!

Maria “gets” it: She understands the wheat-free concepts, yet doesn’t make the common blunder made by so many others: incorporating gluten-free junk. So she also develops methods to recreate familiar dishes using 1) no wheat, 2) little to no sugar, and 3) otherwise healthy ingredients.

Here’s a recipe from her recent book, The Art of Healthy Eating – Savory:

Protein “Noodle” Lasagna

1 pound Italian sausage
¾ lb grass fed ground beef
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jar no sugar marinara sauce
16 oz. ricotta cheese
1 egg
½ tsp Celtic sea salt
Thinly sliced nitrite free deli Chicken Breast (“Protein Noodle”)
¾ lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
¾ c. Parmesan cheese
Optional: 1/4 cup pesto

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in marinara sauce.

In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, and 1/2 tsp salt.

To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Arrange chicken breast slices over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. (Add optional pesto layer before final cheese layer)

Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per cup):
Traditional Wheat Noodles = 246 calories, 0g fat, 1g protein, 43g carbs, 5g fiber (38g effective carbs)
“Healthified” Noodles = 84 calories, 1g fat, 20g protein, 2g carb, 0g fiber (2g effective carbs)

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Maria Emmerich’s Protein “Noodle” Lasagna recipe

1. Weeksie says:

I thought soy is to be avoided?

> I thought soy is to be avoided?

What is this question in response to?
      The recipe in the base article contains no soy.

Soy needs to be entirely avoided by those sensitive to it. The rest of us can eat limited amounts, preferably fermented. Watch out for wheat in soy sauce – it’s an all-too common contaminant.

2. Darlene says:

Dinner tonight was this lasagna and Creamed Spinach from the WB cookbook. Food heaven!

3. Rachael says:

Can anybody tell me how much chicken to buy?

4. Jessica says:

Do we have any information on Quest pastabilities? Ingredients are purified water Glucomannan and calcium hydroxide. I was looking at the shiritaki noodles at my grocery store and they had potato starch and I thought that was something we were looking to get rid of also.

Also curious about the quest bars.

Thanks
    Jess

> Do we have any information on Quest pastabilities?

They appear to be just a new brand of konjac-based shiritaki noodles.

What isn’t clear is whether they require refrigeration (it seems not), and that controls whether or not they can be mail-ordered.

• They have the same ingredients as the Miracle brand shirataki pasta….which do not need refrigeration unless you have an unused portion. They have an expiration date…..my latest order expires in Sept…..and you may not freeze.

> Also curious about the quest bars.

They’ve been discussed a few times, for example:

Although it didn’t happen to anyone I’ve given a bar to, it’s apparently not uncommon to have a gassy reaction to the oligosaccharides. QuestBars may be the most benign snack bars on the market at the moment, apart from two explicitly ketogenic bars (one of which isn’t sold to the general public, and the other of which won’t reveal its ingredients).

Finding the QBs is a challenge. I rarely see them in the stores that supposedly carry them. If you order from Amazon, make sure the seller is amazon itself, because many enrolled sellers are incompetent at packaging and shipping.

Quest seems to sort of get it about low carb. They haven’t yet really awoken to LCHF or keto.

5. Jessica says:

Thanks for the responses. I’m new to this and I’m very use to convenient foods. I’m a little leary of the noodles I’ve heard they smell awful. Not sure if can bring myself to try them but I do miss pasta.

Jess

> I’m a little leary of the noodles I’ve heard they smell awful.

Whether konjac- or tofu-based, shiritaki noodles do indeed have an off-putting smell right out of the package. But if you follow the rinsing directions, the odor disappears. Be sure to check any expiration date, and note if the product required refrigeration, and was kept cool until used.

In my opinion, konjac-based noodles are pure comfort-food window-show. They have almost zero nutritional value (or harm). They are just there to carry the water, so to speak, for the rest of the ingredients.

Supposedly, a Japanese reporter once tried to live exclusively on konjac, and died of malnutrition.

6. Bernadette says:

What a great idea! I made my own meatballs and gravy this week and whipped up a lasagne using nitrate free roasted chicken. Spectacular!! Who would have thought that chicken could be such a great substitute for pasta?!

7. Jeanne Bridger says:

ANYONE HAVE ADAPTATION FOR SPAETZLE? Traditionally, it’s eggs, flour, salt, milk and parsley

• Char says:

I just made pizza dough with spelt flour. It was good. Haven’t read the book yet but if that flour is allowed it’s a good flour substitute. Also I have been told that quinoa pasta is wonderful. I will be going to web mans to get some today

Spelt is wheat no matter how it’s spelt: gluten-bearing, high-glycemic, possibly otherwise less toxic than modern mutant strains.

> … been told that quinoa pasta is wonderful.

High glycemic. It was used in one recipe in the original WB book, but it now considered a deprecated ingredient.

8. Joe says:

What about emmer wheat in diet?

9. Jennifer says:

The noodles are not made from soy, they are made from yam flour. They can usually be found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store with tofu. Follow the package instructions and rinse the noodles and dry thoroughly! They do have a funky smell but you forgive them when you get pasta in your mouth!

10. Carol says:

Just made this last night and all, even the wheat pasta lovers, loved it! I think next time I’ll try making it, using maybe deli thin ham for the “pasta” . Or as my daughter suggested, a combo of deli thin chicken one layer and ham the other “pasta” layer..

11. Jeani Mertens says:

I am going to make this tonight! :D

12. Jeani Mertens says: