Depression and chronic fatigue . . . gone!

Cheryl posted this brief but powerful observation that highlights the incredible mind effects of wheat, the unexpected freedom from even incapacitating effects with its elimination:

I have suffered with major depression and chronic fatigue for the last ten years of my life. This past Christmas I actually wanted to die! I couldn’t live like I was anymore. Practically bedridden. I was at the point of having to have electroshock treatments, as none of the medications were working.

I read your book, Wheat Belly, and the diet has changed my life. I have never felt better in my life! Just by eliminating wheat, my depression is gone! I have the most energy I’ve ever had and feel great.

I’m telling all my friends and family now about this book and diet. I can’t thank you enough for having the courage to publicly share your findings. It’s criminal that the Food and Drug Administration is promoting something that is making us so sick! Thank you so much!!

Eat no wheat versus a lifetime of hopelessness, partially-effective antidepressants, even electroshock therapy–is there any choice here?

The mind effects of wheat are highly variable, depending on the unique susceptibility of the individual. Wheat consumption via the mind active gliadin protein can show itself as behavioral outbursts in children with ADD or autistic spectrum disorder, as food obsessions in those with a tendency towards binge eating or bulimia, worsening of paranoia in people with schizophrenia, or as appetite stimulation in everyday people. And, in people like Cheryl, it can cause crippling depression.

Can you appreciate the enormity of experiences like Cheryl’s?

This entry was posted in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Depression, Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to Depression and chronic fatigue . . . gone!

1. Denise says:

Shannon,

I was on Paxil after an auto accident years ago. The doctor put me in Paxil. What a nightmare. After starting I had horrible side effects, then I became a Zombie. Long story short, I did a lot if research and found liquid Paxil and I slowly weaned myself from that JUNK! It took a few months but well worth it. After getting off of it, my doctor wantede to get back on it!!! Are you kidding me?! She replied that her dad was on it and it was now nice to be around him!! I told her, NO!! Never again.

Shannon, you can wean yourself from the medication, just take it slowly. God’s speed.

2. Diana says:

I feel much better since I’m off wheat! I have a LOT more energy and I’m a lot nicer. People are noticing that my personality has changed. I’m not irritable, or crabby or complaining like I used to do. I’m happier, cheerful now and I have a real positive outlook than before! Plus my acid reflux has improved so much its almost gone! I’ve cut way back on grains. I’m only allowing a little brown rice at this point. My weight is slowly dropping too!

3. Evie says:

I’ve been on the Wheat free plan for four months and have had good results with loss of 12 #s, total resolution of digestive/intestinal issues, cessation of food/carbo cravings, and diminshed arthritc pain. I am 70 years old and have fought Carbo Hell for most of my adult life. It was called a sweet tooth in my day, but I think it should be changed to a “WHEAT TOOTH,” as without wheat, my addictive compulsion to eat the terrible chemical laden sugar bombs pushed by the food industry just up and disappeared. As a retired mental health counselor, who worked in a MICA (mentally ill/chemical abuser) program, I was well aware of the hypoglycemic and emotional ravages of abusing alcohol and drugs. I, also, intellectually understood the similar effects of simple and refined carbohydrates, even grains and fruits, but I was powerless to resist the call from “Little Dubbie” and “Pipperidge Farm,” myself. I was, myself, so frequently depressed and often irritable and anxious, but saw little to no relief from cutting out sweet treats. Every evening at 5pm, the BS dropped and, I, like a food zombie, began my craven search for that evenings simple carbo of choice. Ice cream, some cookies, a piece of pie or cake, even candy. Somehow, despite my heavy research into the bad health effects of HBS and hyperinsulinemia, and no matter that I ate sweet free all day, every evening I would, sooner or later, find myself sated with some decadent goodie. Every morning I would wake up in an extremely depressed mood (hypoglycemia?)and very negative thoughts. So, When Wheat Belly arrived into my sphere of awareness, I just did it.
    Wow. As long as I “ate no wheat, I craved no sweet”. Even if I had a little rice or grits occasionally, I was just not hungry. But each time I’d relapse and have a slice or two of sourdough toast, I’d be ravenous that evening again and would wake up next day practically suicidal. I now know that cutting out all the junk sweets and simple carbs, though healthy in itself, is not enough for me. I must abstain from wheat in all its manifestations as for me it is the “gateway food,’ if you will, to Carbo Hell with all its many ill effects, both physical and emotional. Thank you, Dr. Davis for helping me.

Ah, Evie: If only other mental health counselors could be as enlightened as you!

I’d like to post your comment as a blog post. Others need to hear it from someone with the depth of your mental healthcare experience. Thank you for posting!

4. Catherine says:

I am very happy for you. I am wanting to know how long it took to be off of wheat fully before you started feeling better. I have been off of it for a couple of weeks now and I feel no better. Thanks.

• Jay Gillman says:

I have been off no wheat for 3 weeks and still do not feel any better. In fact I feel less energized. How long does it take to kick in? Please help!!

5. John says:

I’m actually blown away by this and am now actually considering going gluten-free. I’ve suffered from anxiety/depression and fatigue for as long as I can remember. I’m now on Zoloft for the depression and anxeity and while it helps somewhat my energy levels are still atrocious. I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’m considering Meckel Therapy but I had NO IDEA how much wheat can affect your mind (brain fog) and energy levels. Thanks for this post!

Great, John!

But remember: All of us here are wheat- and gluten-free, as well as free of the junk foods that typically pass as gluten-free breads, muffins, and cookies. We don’t want to trade one problem for another problem!

6. Vicki says:

Thank you all for your posts and Dr. Davis for waking me up to this wheat free revelation.
    Question: I’ve been on this for a month with no changes in weight other than I’m not snacking anymore
    I am on Effexor and read that antipressants will prevent weight loss. This has also been true for the Atkins diet.
    I cannot find anything explaining the reasons for this. Why would this be???
    Antidepressants saved my life and continue to keep me level.
    I would love to live without them however I’m reluctant due to the horrible side effects wirhdrawing (flu like symptoms) and return of depression :(
    Please offer some help. I need to loose weight and thought this diet would accomplish that

Many thanks for listening
    Vicki

7. Jim says:

By the grace of God, I went off Lexapro (5mg) as of 061213. I started eliminating wheat a few days later. After a couple days of withdrawal (head zingers), I have felt the best I have mentally and emotionally in years. caffeine intake down by 75 percent. I feel smooth and steady emotionally. The energy lulls I have are cut to a minimum by increased healthier grains (ie., quinoa); protein, fruits, vegetables. I feel like a different person (for the better). I am far more patient with my children. I exercise aggressively (P-90X, Insanity workouts) 6 days a week and have no problem pushing myself to the max despite having no wheat. I couldn’t say enough positive things regarding the influence of the Wheat Belly material. Thank you, Dr. Davis.

8. Kimberly says:

I went wheat-free for 3 days last week and actually had the energy (and interest!) to scrub our home from floor to ceiling and install a new toilet, haha! Then we went to my in-laws for the weekend and I caved into baguettes and apple tarts and needless to say, I started to fall asleep at the lunch table and ended up taking a 3 hour nap!!! Since living here in France, I’ve gained 35 lbs and am miserable (so much for the dreamy French way of life eh?). I am half Korean so I grew up on a diet of rice, veggies, meats, and lots of fish! Never had any health or weight problems until I came to Europe 4 years ago and found myself surrounded by only wheat options. Now I’m desperate and more committed to eliminating wheat. Thank you Dr. Davis for your book and research!

Thank you for this important insight, Kimberly!

Yes, so much for the “French Paradox.” Ain’t no paradox here!