Baking industry acknowledges the impact of Wheat Belly

Here’s an interesting piece of news from the baking industry: Almost a third (30%) of American adults say they are trying to reduce or exclude gluten from their diet, according to the NPD Group, which conducted a consumer survey in 2013.

“The number of US adults who say they are cutting down on or avoiding gluten is too large for restaurant operators to ignore,” said Bonnie Riggs, NPD restaurant industry analyst.”

I love this comment:

“According to a poll of more than 200 dietitians conducted by marketing and PR agency Pollock Communications just before Christmas, wheat belly/gluten-free was predicted to be ‘the most popular approach to weight loss’ in 2013, just ahead of commercial diet programs such as Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig.”

Isn’t that great? Us wheat-free folk speak, vote with our pocketbooks and wallets, and the food industry listens. They, unlike the Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition with its head in the sand of nutrition thinking circa 1980, not to mention its allegiances to Big Food, are responding to this booming market trend. And the dietitians in the trenches are recognizing that something really interesting is going on, even if their parent organization are a bunch of knuckleheads.

Hopefully, they will also recognize the essential differences between the arguments articulated in Wheat Belly and the common and awful mistakes made by the “gluten-free” world that relies on junk carbohydrate sources, typically cornstarch, rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch—foods that cause weight gain, inflammation, insulin resistance/diabetes, visceral fat accumulation, cataracts, arthritis, hypertension, heart disease, dementia, and cancer. Yeah, don’t go down that path unless making full use of your healthcare insurance is part of your lifeplan.

Wheat Belly is about understanding that modern wheat, via the efforts of the Green Revolution to increase yield-per-acre, was inadvertently turned into a nutritional monster, complete with appetite-stimulating and other mind effects. But it is also about understanding what to replace wheat with: We don’t want to replace a problem–wheat–with another problem–gluten-free junk carbohydrates.

Make no mistake: The Wheat Belly message is making headway. While changes in USDA policy and food advice are surely not imminent, I am certain that many nervous meetings will be conducted behind closed doors. In the meantime, it will become easier and easier for all of us to navigate our restaurants and groceries safely, without fear of getting wheated!

This entry was posted in Baking industry, Wheat Belly counterattacks, Wheat industry. Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Baking industry acknowledges the impact of Wheat Belly

1. Denise says:

Thank you, Dr Davis. How about Clove Gum?

2. patty says:

what really makes me mad is that the industries are upset if a non celiac tries to go gluten free. there are ways to do this and eat a balanced diet but they insist it is unhealthy. so if you ARE celiac, then you are going to be unhealthy on a gluten free diet ???? NOT !!! but it is all about running scared. and probably they don’t want a fight with the grain growers if we all stop using grains. well too bad. if they told us to not eat all the processed foods you better believe the grain growers would have a fit. my health is more important than how much profit they make.

Yes, it makes no sense.

I find it ironic that much of the resistance to these ideas is coming from within the celiac/gluten-free community. You would think that they would be among the most knowledgeable, not the most ignorant. Odd situation.

• David MacPhail says:

Associations tend to be clichy in that they see their thing as their private turf.

• Anony121 says:

I’ve also noticed that celiac patients are super mad about all sorts of people going on a gluten free diet. They think it creates the misconception that it is a fad. Well, the people who cured a bunch of problems with it sure aren’t going to quit the diet.
          Mainly, it seems like the celiacs who are upset have some belief that the gluten free diet is theirs and for them alone. Too bad. It’s for anyone who wants to do it, and they have to get over it or be miserable forever because the gluten free movement is growing, not shrinking.

• steve says:

This is a bit wrong headed. My wife has celiac. We are happy to have a large part of society buy into gluten free because the costs for gluten free products prices come down. After reading this book, I now know why there is so much new found interest in GF food. I do not think it will last for the long haul though. Bread is good, well it taste good I mean…

• Lindsey says:

You know, it’s funny you say that… I have a 4-day event in April and called the coordinator about whether GF foods would be available or if I should pack food. She in turn contacted the “cook” and then forwarded her response to me – there will be brown rice available (ok….) and possibly some GF cornbread made with commercially available mix – the PROBLEM, per the cook, is that she puts GF food out there and no one eats it. Hello? Has no one realized that people without (free of symptoms or utterly not making the connection between sick & wheat) Celiac or wheat sensitivity can STILL EAT GF?
      I no longer eat cornbread, but when I did, my GF version was better than any traditional version, people never asked “is this GF?” they just scarfed it. Don’t eat rice, either, and don’t want my kids spiking on all the grains, so I’m packing food for all 4 of us.
      Lindsey (GF, low-carb, vegetarian)

3. Casey Bergman says:

I need advice as a non-celiac, non-gluten sensative, GF by CHOICE recent convert… After reading Wheat Belly and doing additional research, I have decide to give it a try. My goals are overall wellness and weightloss. I am perhaps 10-20 pounds overweight. I also want to gain control over my eating as I can be a compulsive eater. I have been working towards eliminating processed food for several months now.

Now the question: how do I explain this to people?! I am not celiac, I have no “medical condition.” Yet I want to be GF. I’m mostly concerned about my close friends & family. I think it would be easier if I WAS celiac because I would have a quick answer. Right now they ask questions which I try to answer. Or they say “well just have a little.” Or “since you aren’t allergic, a little now and then won’t hurt.” or “rye isn’t as bad as wheat” or variations of this. Anyone else GF by choice? I can’t find any resources for someone like me. Please help! Basically, what do I tell people and how can I get them to support me. Especially my reluctant girlfriend who is scared I will never cook pizza or pasta again! Or she thinks we will never eat in a restaurant again. Luckly there are great restuarants in my area that offer GF options. I’m not asking others to change, but I hope they can respect MY choices. Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions!

I think you are currently on THE resource that helps people do this, as well as the Wheat Belly Facebook page. (Click on the Facebook button up top.)

This is where it started and I believe it remains the best place to continue the discussion.

• Sedena says:

Most of us on the blog are grain-free BY CHOICE, especially when the incredible benefits become apparent: once I eliminated grains from my diet (and dairy and sugar) and basically switched to eating ONLY freshly-prepared foods [I couldn't tell you the last time I ate something processed], I am never hungry, I know exactly when I am full, and I feel so much better with a lot of energy. There is a real difference in how you will feel when you completely give up processed foods and grains – and believe me, that difference is noticeable enough to convince you to stick with it.

I don’t try to explain to people what I’m doing. In fact, people in my office generally comment ‘you always eat so healthy’ as they chow down on their cardboard lunches and processed purchased meals. And it’s so simple: vegetables, meat, occasional cheese, salads (prepare your own dressings if you need them). The choices are unlimited and with a little thought, even dining out is no problem – no bread, potatoes or rice, double the veggies, and decline all sauces.

If you really miss breads, WB Cookbook is a must – it’s full of recipes containing nut flours – and everything is delicious.

• Lindsey says:

You could try what I told my husband when the whole house when GF – He asked (withdrawal, LOL) if we could feed the kids wheat “now and then.”
      I told him yes – he could feed the kids wheat with the same frequency as he feeds them rat poison.
      They’re totally GF. ; )
      As for explanations, tell people you’re on a preventive maintenance program for optimal health – avoiding poison NOW, so when you’re 60, 70, 80… beyond, you’re not being impacted by poor choices. Good choices now = good health down the road. And yes, a little bit WILL hurt you. Just because you’re not writhing in agony doesn’t mean the damage isn’t being done on the cellular level.

• Nimbrethil says:

Frankly, you don’t owe anyone a long, drawn-out explanation. You are totally within your rights to say “I don’t eat wheat because I’ve decided it’s bad for my health,” and leave it at that.

It’s easier, of course, to just lie and say “Doctor told me I have a wheat allergy,” which I recommend for people who have obstinate relations who just won’t let a matter drop otherwise, but really I don’t like this approach because it feeds into the idea that you have to justify and legitimize your reasons, as if simply not wanting to eat wheat were not sufficient.

• James says:

Hi Casey,

I sympathize, my father-in-law was a pain-in-the-butt because of his academic background in veterinarian studies and professorship at various places throughout his long carrier. Moreover, he does not get fat on carbs (you know, one of those lucky ones) so it was all b…llocks to him …

I could not care less, I just told him and his wife (who is so much more understanding) that I discovered that wheat could be the root-cause of some of my ailments (minor things but I never really knew why they happened, etc) and I would give a try to wheat elimination. After only 3 weeks, 10lbs lighter (especially around the mid-section) and MUCH MUCH more energy and mental clarity, I was 99% convinced that wheat was a major root-cause to my past issues (they are all eliminated by now). After 5 months, my father-in-law (now hospitalized for kidney failure) starts to see the light when he sees so many diabetic patients around him, some on dialysis all day long …
      Scares the sh…t out of him …

So anyway, just mention that you are realizing that wheat could very well be an insidious poison disguised as food and are experimenting its elimination from your diet for a while to draw your own conclusion. I don’t think anyone will blame you for checking some (quite surprising at first) claims.

Tell your girlfriend by wheat-free pizzas are not only easy to make but delicious!!! (tons of “paleo” recipes out there, from cauliflower crust to … chicken based crust!) \

Wheat as it turns out is like cigarettes: when you are not hooked on tobacco, you can only wonder why people enjoy smoking this disgusting and super smelly stuff called a cigarette – but when you are hooked, your addiction fool you to make you believe the smell and taste of cigarette smoking is nice (been there myself) … wheat is as delusional as this. Once you’re off the hook, its taste is vastly overrated …

Hope this helps :)

J.

4. Karl says:

This is great news! I hope the wheat lobby isn’t causing you a lot of grief, and if they are, challenge them to agree upon and fund a peer reviewed study putting your diet to the test. I know I’m down almost 20 pounds with no exercise this winter, and am so looking forward to the gardening and other outdoor activity this spring! And the parmesan flax seed crackers + tuna fish make an absolutely outstanding combination!

I also liked your comment on overpopulation a few posts ago. Let’s hope the new pope has some better sense about birth control… but I won’t hold my breath.

5. Dr. Davis,

I’ve been grain free and low carb focused for a five weeks, and have my sister reading Wheat Belly. I’m doing fine without bread, and never was big on desserts except for 85% dark chocolate, but my sister is at the early stages of feeling like she would be deprived and said the hardest thing would be to give up bread. So, I’ve been researching sources and came up with http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo-product/paleo-bread-almond-1-carb/ Julian Bakery products are apparently sold at Whole Foods, although I have not been able to find any of them. They can be ordered online and although quite pricey, they contents look to be ideal, just as though they were made from a recipe out of the Wheat Belly Cookbook.

Do you have an opinion about these products? I realize that not all are ideal, but the do have some that seem to be, especially the almond flour and coconut flour breads?

Robin Michael

• Deb says:

I have that bread, bought out-of-state, for me and will need to find it around here. Good to know
      that WF might be stocking it.

It is good and has a good texture. The taste is okay, not great, but not bad. It is so nice
      to have a sandwich again.

I’ve had them and was disappointed in taste.

You can, of course, make quite delicious breads from the recipes.

Have you tried the rye bread from the Wheat Belly Cookbook? It’s a real favorite.

• Sheila says:

I’m with Dr. Davis on this one. I bought two loaves of Julian Bread. Threw them both out….it was horrible. I’ll stick to making my own or going without. I have my WB Cookbook but haven’t had time to try many of the recipes yet. I have been making a simple (and I mean simple) bread and my husband loves it. I don’t really miss bread which is quite amazing for me….I loved bread. I am celebrating 10 months WB today and loving it still!!! Will never go back….

6. Dr. Davis,

The above post may have been answered by this web site that blasts the company, Julian Bakery – http://www.julianbakeryinfo.com/ – and has links to a few YouTube video reviews of the products.

Robin Michael

• James says:

Some of these videos are really :O !!
      Looks like Julian Bakery should be renamed Julian “Spongery” …

J.

7. Greg McGee says:

Have you ever heard of the phenomenon of “The Tenacity of Unreasonable Beliefs?” Even when faced with overwhelming proof that something a person has always believed to be true is actually false, a person will cling to that belief with ever more increasing tenacity. This is whats going on in the food industry, and in the average consumer. Industry has too much invested in making bread the way they do now to change without a knock down drag out fight.Their customers are the same way.
    Its an uphill battle. Its good to hear that headway is being made. I wouldn’t expect the FDA to rush right out with a new pyramid, though. It’ll take a while for logic to prevail.
    Greg McGee

I believe you are absolutely right, Greg. The vigor of the objections continue to astound in the face of overwhelming data and experiences suggesting otherwise!

8. Susi Katz says:

Hi Dr. Davis,

I have just found sources for organic emmer flour (http://www.bluebirdgrainfarms.com) and also for einkorn flour (www.einkorn.com). According to your book the reason why today’s wheat is so bad for us is that it has over time become genetically altered. So, were we to bake with flours of the ancient grains (i.e. those mentioned in the bible) we should be OK? What are your thoughts on this?
    Warmest Regards, Susie Katz

Emmer has more gluten than modern wheat. It may be lower in other toxins, but is also still a high glycemic carb. It didn’t belong in the diet 10,000 years ago, and doesn’t now.

And this assumes that it really is an heirloom grain. Can the seller provide a verifiable genetic analysis? If not, it may be cross-contaminated with Monsanto Menace.

Heirlooms are an expensive temporary distraction. We tried some “einkorn” flour early on.

• Susan says:

You still need to sprout it, at least 5 hours or overnight at least. I suggest you read up on phytic acid, then you will make the full connection. Thanks for the resource! X

9. Pingback: Weeks That Were 3/3/2013-3/23/2013 | DK FitSolutions

10. Julia G says:

I would like to bring an article to your attention that I think is important for all the population around the world. My husband showed me this article today and it scared the daylights out of me. The article is found in the July 2013 issue of “The Farmer” and is on page 32. The article is titled “2020 target date for hybrid wheat.” It tells about “Syngenta” and the research they are doing to find a hybrid wheat that will have increased yields. They want to cross hard red wheat with another strain to create this hybrid, because of the demand in the food supply.

Here is a link to the article: http://farmfutures.com/story-company-targets-2020-hybrid-wheat-18-100119.

I wonder when it will all come to a head and the USDA, FSA, and FDA will realize that what is happening in our food supply is killing humans and making us very, very sick. No wonder our medical costs are skyrocketing and so many around us are dying from cancer and other crazy diseases and have increased illnesses like arthritis and fibromyalgia. Thank you so much for sharing this with us and helping America to heal one person at a time.

This, at least, is just another hybrid, and not a GMO. You may assume that the parental government agencies tasked with protecting you will do nothing. See:

What it will take is a grass roots movement to stop consuming toxic grasses, and collapse the market for these weeds.

Once people stop eating the mutant menace sold as wheat, they usually don’t go back, especially if they’ve experienced acute re-exposure reactions.

My bet, Julia, is NEVER.

I do not believe that we will ever have an agency like the USDA recant its disastrous advice because we are not the people they are protecting. They are an agency charged with promoting the financial health of agribusiness, not of the general public. The USDA Food Plate/Pyramid take to illogical extremes the lessons we all recognize as absurdly and patently destructive, but we will never hear this from their own lips.

11. Susan says:

I’m a self diagnosed celiac. There, I said it. In hindsight, I had gluten related disorders for over 30 years now, but due to the symptoms being so vague, I never connected the dots. I stopped gluten and the affects was immediate. I too went on the gluten free junkfood rollercoaster, but it wasn’t long before I really started thinking about nutrition, and only wanted the healthy stuff. Previously this would have been unthinkable. However, the ironic side is now if I even get a crumb of gluten, I have the worst adverse effects. I don’t believe its a fad. I think its here to stay. Restaurants will have to adapt and people will have to adapt their attitude towards this. What I do predict will happen is they will try and produce wheat without the gluten etc, but for us who struggled with this for decades will have serious trust issues, and probably not want to sacrafice another decade to figure out what the nnew engineerd wheat long term effects will be. They would need to go back to the biblical wheat strains and SPROUT it for 5 hours or more. I don’t mind the sudden awareness, labelling foods correctly makes my shopping experience less tedious. I also let the companies know if I had an adverse effect especially of their labels didn’t list the allergens clealy. This is why I have trust issues. Yes, this is a provledged diet, it’s expensive, no doubt, but you can still eat around it, you don’t need to buy the expensive alternatives. Oh..and don’t let me start on the dangers of SOY!! It’s in everything!!