Wheat Belly Cookbook: High Fashion!

Move over, Elle Macpherson: The Wheat Belly Cookbook has become fashionable!

The New York Times Fashion & Style column featured the new Wheat Belly Cookbook: Uncommon Advice for Seeking a Fresh Start

“In his cookbook, with scores of grain-free recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even dessert — brownies, cupcakes and Key lime pie, made with flour ground from beans, nuts and flaxseed — he points another way forward. Cooking, baking and eating without wheat is a ‘cataclysmic revelation for most people,’ he admits. ‘It’s unsettling, it’s upsetting, it’s downright inconvenient.’ Still, he asks, what is a bit of inconvenience, weighed against the rapture of watching a ‘protuberant, flop-over-the-belt belly vanish?’

Makes me wonder whether, as followers of Wheat Belly get skinnier, healthier, and more vibrant, whether we should stage a Wheat Belly fashion show?!

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly Cookbook. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Wheat Belly Cookbook: High Fashion!

1. Hilary Mitchell says:

I have read the Wheat Belly book and was captivated by it; well done fantastic book. You can imagin the joy when I discovered the WB cook book!!!
    I pre ordered it for my Kindle Fire ( a wonderful device) I recieved the down load on the 24th December and have been glued to it ever since.
    I am from the United Kingdom and live in Wales and am a bit of a newbe when it comes to wheat free but it works for me as I used to fall asleep after eating bread and felt bloated and was over weight of course.
    I love the different recipes and am getting used the different weights of things and am able to obtain all the ingredients with a bit of searching.
    It really is a revalation and I can’t understand why more people over here don’t know about this thing call wheat and the damage it can do, we have all been fed a ‘diet’ that whole grains are healthy, I belived it along with everyone else. I feel it will take a long time to reverse the damage done by wheat and all the other ‘healthy eating ‘ advice but I for one feel so much better for eating this way I will carry on. I don’t miss bread despite it being everywhere.
    Keep up the good work Dr Davis!!

Hilary

Thanks, Hilary!

I’m waiting to hear whether there will be a speaking tour in the U.K. Rodale has chosen to be the distributor in the U.K., but has failed to achieve the widespread recognition that it has achieved in North America. I will update here and the Wheat Belly Facebook page should that be planned!

• Hilary Mitchell says:

I look forward to your tour David; there seems to be more information about the damage wheat causes from the US; shame about this guess I will have to start spreading the news!!
        Just made the Grainless Granola, yum yum!!

2. Julie says:

I was looking into your recipes, and while I would really like to give this a try, I noticed that most of them were made with almond flour. My son’s girlfriend who is a big part of our family is allergic to almonds and most other tree nuts. What would be a good alternative that I could use. The only other flour you mentioned was coconut flour, but that it doesn’t work well as a stand alone.

3. Lori says:

Due to food allergies we cannot use any of the nut or chickpea flours, which alternative flours would you recommend that would be the best choices? Thank you

4. Janet says:

Trying to get someone to clear something up for me. I have the Wheat Belly cook book. I have made several items from it and am loving them. However, I am one of those people who has to limit carbs to 15 or less net carbs per meal.

I need to know if the carbs shown in the cook book, at the end of each recipe, is total or net? If total, do I just take total carbs minus fiber to get net for each serving? I couldn’t find in the book where it addressed this.

Going on three months wheat free now and we are all feeling so much better, we love it!

Thanks

> ” I couldn’t find in the book where it addressed this.”
      Page 45 of the WBCB.

Net carbs is total carbs minus fiber carbs.

I presume that the “carbs” shown for each recipe are the total, since “fiber” is specified separately.

• Janet says:

Thanks. That’s what I thought but since the recipe didn’t state it, I wasn’t sure. Also, thanks for the info on page 45.

5. Larry says:

We coundn’t wait for the Wheat Belly Cookbook to come out! We’ve made a lot of recipes but the basic bread has stumpted us twice (and 10 eggs later.) Is there a typo about the amount of buttermilk at 1 tablespoon? The Rye and focaccia breads take a lot more buttermilk. With that little amount of liquid the dough is hard and it is almost impossible to fold in the egg whites and the bread comes out less than an inch high with a strong smell of baking soda. Help!

Odd, Larry.

Sounds like, for whatever reason–different sort of almonds or flaxseed, for instance–you need more liquid. Add more buttermilk until you get a typical dough consistency. Once you get the consistency right, you can make the bread over and over with good results.

• Carly says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
        I love the flaxseed wrap, however I see that it has around 20 g of fat. Is this “good” fat? Or should I be keeping the wrap intake to a minimum?
        Thank you!

Have as many as you want! The fat is indeed good fat–not hydrogenated, not fried, not vegetable/corn etc.

6. Lia says:

Hi Dr. Davis! Is there a segment here where your readers can share recipes? I just baked a batch of Wheat-free chocolate Chip cookies and I have not eaten one since June 18, 2012 when I started being wheat free.

7. June says:

Made the biscuits last week, even my husband loved them. Today I made the carrot muffins and oh boy, are they ever good! My sister got tested the other day and found out that she is genetically sensitive to wheat. I guess my other sister and I don’t need to get tested-we just know that we used to think we felt fine, and now we actually know what feeling great is like!

Yup: ALL humans should be wheat-free, anyway! Yes, it is entirely unsuited for human consumption, contrary to the widespread and popular advice to allow it to dominate diet.

8. Farha Syed says:

Hello Dr. Davis

I have been slowly cutting wheat out of my diet and I have felt really energetic and feeling much lighter.
    I have hypothyroidism since birth and it took about a month or so before it was diagnosed and this was in Pakistan, that too because we had doctors in the family who detected there was a problem and took me to a specialist.
    I have struggled with my weight ever since my cycles first began and to this day I am fighting it. I’m at least 20 -25lbsoverweight that I would love lose for good and enjoy the rest of my life.

My question to you is will I see a time where I do not need Synthroid that I take everyday at present.

I’m trying to completely do away with regular flour and replace it with almond flour. Would Arrowroot flour also work as a substitute flour that we can use. My kids do experience constipation from time to time so I want them to make the change too.
    I snack on cheese string and almonds walnuts mixed with sunflower seeds and raisins which I top my cottage cheese with also. I cook black chickpeas for lunch once or twice a week and at least twice I eat fish either in curry or baked.

At present I make basmati rice but I strain them so I take starch away as much as possible. Also brown rice by Uncle Bens. Correct me if I’m wrong – as I understand from your blog we can have limited quantities of rice and legumes. Meat- chicken, fish beef ,lamb.
    Fruits except for bananas and vegetables.
    I do not have your cookbook but I can just substitute wheat flour with almond, coconut or even arrowroot.
    I’m trying to convince my friends who struggle with weight issues and spreading word about your blog.

Thanks for doing the research and writing this book.

9. Marti says:

Sorry, wrote this on wrong post, should be on Mocha Walnut Brownies post.