Wheat Belly Cookbook didn’t get EVERYTHING right!

I believe that it is no exaggeration to say that Wheat Belly and the new Wheat Belly Cookbook hold the key to an astounding range of health issues and weight control.

But I didn’t get EVERYTHING right: There are two typos in the Cookbook that have come to my attention it’s release December 24th, 2012:

1) In the Kindle version of the cookbook (NOT the hardcover), the recipe for Coconut Flapjacks lists 4 cups of coconut flour. It should read 1/4 cup of coconut flour. (This was an error by the transcriber into the digital format.)

2) The Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, hardcover page 277 and in Kindle edition, includes a Note saying that “To prepare with stevia, omit the coconut flour and xylitol . . .” This note should simply be ignored, as it referred to another version of the recipe that we omitted. However, the recipe as it stands with stevia works just fine. I retested it to be sure–they were yummy!

All recipes were tested repeatedly by myself and/or Rodale Test Kitchen staff, but it looks like these two typos got past us.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly Cookbook. Bookmark the permalink.

183 Responses to Wheat Belly Cookbook didn’t get EVERYTHING right!

1. Nancy Ricci says:

Check mocha brownie recipe, you forgot to say add sugar in instructions

• Ron Cook says:

Nancy, I just made the mocha cupcake recipe I found on this site.
      The sweetener I used was 1/2 cup of Xylitol.
      Recipe instruction: Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar (e.g., 3 1/2 tablespoons Truvia)

2. Ester says:

Hi,

I am not too sure where to post a question, so I hope this is right!

I am wondering if anyone has heard or seen a connection from wheat to bedwetting in children? I have a 9 yr old who has eczema, has grown out of her asthma, but still wets the bed every single night. We have gone through every test out there, tried medications with only marginal improvement, and the end result is there are no abnormalities in her anatomy, so we are just waiting it out. She gets so discouraged! We have now started her on a wheat free diet to see if her eczema improves, and she actually asked if there was a link to bedwetting and wheat. Of course I can’t find any info on it, so I just thought I would see if anyone else has seen some improvement.

Thanks!

• Nancy Edwards says:

At a parenting course – it was brought up that bedwetting is controlled by a hormone that starts happening at some point prior to age 12. Usually between ages 6-12. Unless the child has started producing the hormone, they will not get the ‘message’ that they need to wake up and go to the bathroom. Not their fault, and nothing that can be controlled. So tell your child there is no blame.
      I too have eczema, and am hoping going wheat free helps that part..
      Good luck.

• Anni says:

Nancy,

I certainly am no expert in this area but just last week I was having a conversation with a another mom whose 61/2 year old boy wets the bed every night. She was recently diagnosed as a Celiac and has removed all gluten products from their home and feeds them all a gluten free diet. She said this is the first time in which he is not wetting his bed. I believe they have done the gluten free route for about 2 months now. I hope your dear daughter finds some relief soon! My heart goes out to her!

• buck wheat says:

There could be or it could be another food allergy/sensitivity. We’re experimenting with this notion at our house right now too with my almost 9 year old. She stopped wetting after getting rid of grain and dairy, then started up again, actually leaking thru those Goodnites and flooding her bed after she’s had peanut butter or sugar, so we dont know yet which is to blame.
      Some good stuff to read-
      http://www.aworthyjourney.com/2011/06/food-allergies-and-bed-wetting.html (a mommy blog post with 6 more links to check out)
      http://www.wellbladder.com/bladder_symptoms__gluten_sensitivity (lotsa info!)
      http://robbwolf.com/2011/09/20/the-paleo-solution-episode-98/ (spoke of it in this particular podcast)

• buck wheat says:

Also, check out The Food Intolerance Network at :
        The woman (Sue Dengate) who runs that also has a book called Fed Up. She is all about pinpointing foods and additives, etc that are causing problems for your child, including what might be causing bedwetting. I just got this book yesterday from the library! Good luck to you and your daughter!

3. Rosemary Lacroix says:

Are these typos in the paperback version of the cookbook as well?

4. Mary Dudley says:

Thank you for all the Wheat Belly info…love the books and the great results we have experienced. I think I may have found another typo — in the recipe for the herbed focaccia on p 230 of the cookbook . On page 228 you recommend using garbanzo bean flour in addition to the almond flour and ground flax seeds but in the herbed focaccia there is no garbanzo flour.Is that omission correct? And for the basic recipe it says to use a 13″ x 9″ baking sheet but on p 230 it says, in two places, to use a 13″ x 19″ baking sheet…typo or do I need that big a sheet? Looking forward to an answer because I can’t wait to make & taste the focaccias.

• Ron Cook says:

Mary, 13 x 9 actually should be large enough. Dr. Davis notes in the introduction to the Basic Focaccia that the dough should be divided into two ‘loaves’ about 3 1/2 inches wide by 6 inches in length.
      Thickness will be about 3/4 inch.
      I found that using two 4″ x 8″ bread pans works wonderfully. The pans keep the dough in the right shape and it naturally resolves to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in thickness.

• Jeri Sullivan says:

I made the herbed focaccia yesterday (as listed in the book, ie without garbanzo flour) in a 13×9 pan and it worked fine. The only thing different is the serving size for me. Since the bread is very dense, I simple cut it into 8 slices/4 sandwiches worth instead of 4 slices/2 sandwiches worth.

I did have a question, though regarding the specific flaxseed flour/meal to use. I made it using Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal. At the time I bought it, I neglected to search for the “Golden” Flaxseed Meal. My focaccia is very dark brown and not as “fluffy” as the photo in the cookbook. I assume it is because of this difference but if someone can confirm that the fluffiness of the focaccia will be more if I use the golden versus regular and not just the color difference, I would appreciate it!

• Merlin says:

The Bob’s Redmill seems to be a mix of brown and golden flaxseed. We’ve purchased some ground golden for trials, but we now just buy golden flaxseed and grind it ourselves in a coffee grinder set aside for the purpose.

• Jeri Sullivan says:

Thanks, I also bought a bag of golden flaxseeds. Just curious how much do you get when it is ground? For example, if I put 1 cup in the processor, what would the resulting meal/flour amount be?

5. John says:

I bought the cookbook and tried to make the chocolate bars tonight. I think there must be an error in the recipe. There is not enough moisture to hold anything together; I ended up with a pan full of loose ingredients…?

6. david potack says:

My wife just tried our first dinner using the new cookbook. The Pork tenderloin was fabulous. She loaded up at the store with many new flours etc and will begin branching out to more and more items.
    Personally i’ve now broken the 100 pound loss barrier [300 to 199]. I started 14 month ago and have never swayed from the wheat free path. Diabeties gone, along with amazing general health improvements. I’m ‘hooked’ for life and the new cookbook will help widen the variety of what i found to be an easy lifesyle to follow and enjoy. At 66 I even returned to the gym 3 times a week. Life is good!!!

• deb says:

Have you tried the hot coconut flaxseed cereal? Im worried eating this much flaxseed at one time will be to much…what do you think? deb

• Marv says:

100 pounds!!? Congratulations David! Nothing felt better than those pounds that came after the first 5 for me: “hey, this guy’s on to something here…” I’ve weighed this number before but not in this jeans size. This is different.

I know how you feel too; I’ll eat cardboard before I ever eat wheat again. Congratulations again on the new life! Dr. Davis is a giant among men.

–Marv

7. Crista K says:

I got my cookbook a couple of weeks ago from amazon, however I’m not able to use most of the recipes because so many contain flax to which I’m allergic. What can I substitute for the flax?

I apologize if this question has been addressed somewhere else on the site, I searched but didn’t get an answer. Thank you! Love the books and your message!

8. nonegiven says:

I think Amazon can correct and push the correction out to all the downloaded copies

9. Rob says:

I’m not sure if this is a missing ingredient, or on purpose, but the basic biscuits has no salt in the recipe, at least in the Kindle version. I made them both with and without, and the ones without salt were extremely bland.

10. E. says:

It’s almost inevitable that there will be typos. But I wanted to say how much I am enjoying the cookbook. I bought it over the holidays and have made probably 10 recpes so far. Can’t wait to try them all!

11. Kelly says:

I purchased the Kindle download of the book. I have tried a few recipes, one of them being the chocolate cream pie. I attempted this twice and had to throw it out both times. I followed the recipe exactly but the filling wouldn’t set either time. Every other recipe I could find for chocolate cream pie has egg yolks in the ingredients. Is this something that was left out by mistake? I haven’t looked at the hardcover book to see if the recipe is different. It is very disappointing to have to throw so many expensive ingredients in the trash. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Brad says:

I made the pie a couple of weeks ago and it turned out well. Did you give the liquid enough time to thicken on the stove while you stirred constantly. It took a pretty good while, as I recall.

• Kelly says:

Brad, I boiled it for a full 5 minutes the second time. Just curious, do you have the hard copy of the cookbook or the Kindle version? Does your recipe contain egg yolks? It has been a bust 2 times now. So frustrating!

• HS4 says:

I’ve just checked the hardcover edition and there are no eggs listed at all. I also wonder if it can set w/o eggs but I also notice that the recipe calls for canned coconut milk. Did you use canned (which is usually very thick) or the lighter, thinner coconut milk that comes in cartons? Woudl that make a difference?

• Katie says:

I made the Chocolate Cream Pie. It did not thicken while I was cooking it…therefore I mixed in another Tablespoon of coconut flour and cooked a little longer. The pie thickened up nicely after it chilled in the refrigerator. It could use more chocolate and sweetener also.

12. roxanne says:

I am looking for a cardiologist in Phoenix, AZ who is similar to Dr. Davis. Can anyone help??? I would greatly appreciate it!!

13. Sally says:

I began this wheat free journey almost five months ago. I have had such success that my adult daughter has begun to eat WF also. I anxiously awaited the release of the cookbook, which I purchased in hardcover. We have loved everything that I have made, even with my few blunders. (I did purchase the food chopper that you suggested. Mine was about 40 years old…time to give that up!) I made the chicken bruchetta last night…wonderful!!! My son-in-law is also enjoying everything that I cook. Thanks so much for the recipes. They are delicious!! I am going to try your “wife’s” chesse cake for my daughter’s birthday celebration tonight.

14. Sheila says:

We’ve thoroughly enjoyed everything we’ve made from the cookbook so far … especially that Shrimp Bisque!

On a side note, Dr. D., I have a suggestion for your graphic at the top of this page.

English-speakers read from left to right, both when reading text and in reading charts and timelines. That means that — with the skinny woman on the left — our brain “reads” the graphic as showing a woman who starts out skinny and ends up obese.

So if your graphics guy/gal could reverse the order, it would be a more compelling image.
    All the best!

• Deb says:

I’ve thought the same thing about the ‘slim-to-fat” graphic before as well. It could definitely give the wrong impression about acquiring not eliminating a “Wheat Belly”.

15. deb says:

I wanted to try the hot coconut flaxseed cereal…but 1/2cup of ground flaxseed seems like a lot…will I go to the bathroom every 4 min after eating this much everyday?? anyone please respond thanks deb

16. Jeanne says:

Hi Dr. Davis ,

As you surely know by now ( years on the heart scan blog etc.), I love ya madly! The cookbook is awesome but in reading some of your info on gluten sources I have to respectfully disagree with a few things!

Any distilled liquor is ok as long as a gluten containing flavoring has not been added AFTER distillation. Thus all the alcoholic beverages such as vodka, or whiskey etc are fine. Even if they started from gluten grains. Really.

Same goes for ketchup and any vinegar except for malt vinegar. In fact, back in the “olden days” of celiac diets ketchup WAS banned because it was erroneously believed the vinegar in it contained gluten. It has long since been proven that the distillation process eliminates those proteins.

As a long time celiac and RN I just felt this was the place to get my 2 cents in about this. Keep up the good fight!

> Any distilled liquor is ok …

Define “OK”. If all you are concerned about is gluten, then your position is correct – outside of beer, alcoholic beverages rarely contain it. See:

However, there are other concerns with alcoholic beverages (leaving aside over-consumption):

One is carb content. Liqueurs, sweet wines and mixed drinks can be loaded with carbs.

More interesting is that metabolizing alcohol apparently kicks your system out of ketosis, can stall weight loss and may have other considerations. It’s a hot topic in the paleo and keto communities. We may not have final answers for some time.

• Jeanne says:

True, true..Boundless. . But- the context of that particular section of the book was for the celiac/gluten sensitive, who must be extra vigilant for immune reasons about hidden gluten. Yes, it was ONLY about gluten…not what was or was not healthy on a Wheatbelly lifestyle.

Yes, I was speaking only of DISTILLED spirits and vinegar. Beer, malt beverages must be off limits unless labeled gluten free specifically.

Ketchup does not. It has no gluten, never did…but of course in the context of the whole Wheatbelly message you would want to find one with no HFCS and low/no added sugars. Celiacs just don’t need to worry about hidden gluten in it.

It is a much different level of vigilance about gluten and minute sources. The non -celiac Wheatbelly follower is not concerned with sharing a toaster for their almond flour based breads. Not so for a celiac, cross contamination is a major concern and can prevent healing a gut damaged by gluten immunologically.
        Not to mention extra abdominal manifestations of celiac, such as dermatitis Herpetiformis rash.

We are on the same page, I just felt the need to clarify and correct those issues, as why avoid something, that you want ( albeit, in moderation) if you don’t have to, certainly not because you erroneously think it has gluten in it!

• Jeanne says:

By the way Boundless, I always look forward to reading yours and Uncle Roscoe’s posts! Very informative and much appreciated.

Thanks. I do what I can to contribute to sites I get value from. This one’s pretty valuable.

• Annie says:

I appreciate your answers too Boundless! They are very informative and easy to understand. You’ve just made me realize that the reason I don’t loose weight is (maybe) the daily little glass of red wine I take with my dinner….

> … reason I don’t loose weight is (maybe) the daily
            > little glass of red wine I take with my dinner….

My experience has been that 1 glass doesn’t have any effect on weight management. You might look to other possible causes.

• Annie says:

Good to know! I have to try to stop dairy products then. I’ve try for a week last month and it didn’t work. I should try again for a longer time…

Hi, Jeanne–

Acknowledged. BUT many people, distillation down to 20 million ppm or less, still react with gluten-type reactions to, say, vodka or whiskey.

You are correct for the majority of people. But there are enough very gluten-sensitive (actually gliadin-sensitive) people for whom even 20 ppm is too high. This is part of the reason why the FDA’s advice on safe gluten residue cutoffs has taken so long.

• Jeanne says:

Agreed. As a member of the celiac community, we consider people reacting to less than 20 ppm a minority. Important, for sure, but a minority. Thus the rest of the world uses the 20ppm cutoff as a standard.
        I guess I consider them such even more of a minority, in the Wheatbelly audience, who are mostly people not even formally diagnosed with celiac or gluten sensitivity.

For me, the standard set by the celiac community is good enough to be used for the general population, unless personal experience says otherwise. Just my opinion,and not meant to be oppositional to yours in any way.

Truthfully, I consider all people gluten sensitive, whether they THINK they are or not!

• Deb says:

I was under the impression that Ketchup(stuff like Heinz) is still on the no-no list because wheat is used as a thickener? Am I wrong? I’ve love to be proved wrong since I love Ketchup!!!

• Jeanne says:

Nope. Heinz ketchup is gluten free, worldwide. I just went to their website to check other countries as well. Granted, it DOES contain undesirable sugars.. ;-)

17. Karen says:

John, I had the exact same problem with the bars. It smelled great and a spoonful tasted good, but would not hold together at all. And Kelly, I made the pie and it did work. I left it sit on the counter for about 45 mins because I got distracted and forgot to put it in the fridge. Then I put it in the fridge and it set after about 4 hours. I doubled the amount of sweetener, as I am doing in all the recipes, because I am finding that Dr Davis does not have a sweet tooth! The pie was very good with a big dollop of whip cream.

• HS4 says:

Here is an old-fashioned solution to a recipe for a baked sweet, such as the chocolate bars, that fails to hold together. Mash the baked goodie down to small but still coarse pieces. Mix gently with small amounts of rum, or other compatible liquer, or a non-alcoholic equivalent, until the wetted mix stays together. Using spoonfuls, roll into balls and then roll the balls in finely chopped nuts, or shredded coconut, or 100% pure (unsweetened) cocoa powder. Chill for at least a few hours until balls are firm then serve or store in tightly covered container (separate layers with wax paper).

This idea comes down to me from my grandmother. My mother used it any time cookies, brownies or cakes failed. Over the years we had some interesting variations on this but they all tasted great. It makes a very nice dessert and is great to serve even to guests.

If you don’t want to use rum or other alcoholic liquid, you’ll probably have to experiment with other liquids until you find something that works. Now that I think about it, I wonder if a nice thick coconut milk or cream would do? The idea is to use just enough liquid to get the job done, so even using rum wouldn’t add much to the calorie or glycemic burden

18. Heather Rivlin says:

I’m wheat free for 21 days. I never had any issues with withdrawal and found the process easy from the “symptoms” standpoint. It was just relearning the flour and trying to make breads I am struggling with. I am more bloated than I’ve ever been this last week and I haven’t lost any weight at all. Meanwhile my husband who started with me is down 8 pounds in 3 weeks. I’m feeling discouraged.

Many people do better faster by supplementing with a high-potency probiotic, e.g., 50 billion CFUs per day for 4-8 weeks. Because wheat causes a distortion in bowel flora, taking a probiotic accelerates the repopulation with healthy bowel bacteria species.

If that doesn’t work, then it likely means there are other gastrointestinal issues to explore, such as pancreatic insufficiency or hypochlorhydria.

19. Sari says:

Are the cheese and egg quesadillas really 736 calories per serving???

• lane says:

thats what i’m noticing- the calories are outrageous in some of these recipes. wheat or no wheat, you still shouldn’t be eating more than 1600-1800 calories a day (if you’re a female trying to lose weight, unless you’re an athlete). I’d blow half my daily calorie allowance just on breakfast eating those quesadillas. almond flour is high in calories and protein, but you still have to watch the calories. i gained on Wheat Belly the first few weeks until I cut almond flour bread out.

Yes, and I believe we should NOT count calories! (This is why I left out recipe nutritional composition in the first Wheat Belly: to discourage calorie counting!)

• lane says:

But Dr Davis how is eating so many more calories not going to result in weight gain? I don’t understand. 3500 calories ingested = 1 pound of weight gain, no? I wish i could eat almond flour bread and coconut flour pancakes every day, but i’d weigh 200 pounds!

20. Kathy says:

Downloaded your recipe book to my Kindle last week. Since quite a few people here have mentioned errors, and it’s so hard to remember them all, could you please correct your file and re-load to Kindle. I believe that when new file is published, you can somehow let Amazon know that your previous customers can download it. Please check into this and let us know?
    Thanks kindly.