Wheat Belly Cookbook didn’t get EVERYTHING right!

I believe that it is no exaggeration to say that Wheat Belly and the new Wheat Belly Cookbook hold the key to an astounding range of health issues and weight control.

But I didn’t get EVERYTHING right: There are two typos in the Cookbook that have come to my attention it’s release December 24th, 2012:

1) In the Kindle version of the cookbook (NOT the hardcover), the recipe for Coconut Flapjacks lists 4 cups of coconut flour. It should read 1/4 cup of coconut flour. (This was an error by the transcriber into the digital format.)

2) The Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, hardcover page 277 and in Kindle edition, includes a Note saying that “To prepare with stevia, omit the coconut flour and xylitol . . .” This note should simply be ignored, as it referred to another version of the recipe that we omitted. However, the recipe as it stands with stevia works just fine. I retested it to be sure–they were yummy!

All recipes were tested repeatedly by myself and/or Rodale Test Kitchen staff, but it looks like these two typos got past us.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly Cookbook. Bookmark the permalink.

183 Responses to Wheat Belly Cookbook didn’t get EVERYTHING right!

1. Leigh says:

Dr. Davis, I’m part-way through Wheat Belly, and have also glanced through my copy of your cookbook. I bought the cookbook specifically for its baking section (I’m a pizza addict). I am, however, allergic to tree nuts. Is there an alternative (healthy) flour I can use, instead of almond meal? Your input would be most appreciated.

• DiAnne says:

I too would be interested in finding a substitute for the almond flour because of allergies.

• Julia G says:

I did notice a site tonight that recommended using coconut flour instead of almond flour or other nut flours. I don’t know how this would work as I’m just starting the Wheat Belly. However, this site does have a cookbook also (I have not looked at the cookbook) and may provide ideas on how to change some of the recipes using almond flour. I also noticed that several on this other site mentioned that flours really are not healthy and we should just eat single ingredient food items. Yeah right! I don’t plan to give up everything just because I’m going wheat free (at least right away). Here is the website link if anyone is interested: http://empoweredsustenance.com/avoid-almond-flour/. I hope this helps.

I’m really looking forward to being wheat free and hopefully get rid of many of my health issues such as migrains, fibromyalgia, and stomach problems.

Wishing everyone Wheat Belly success!

Thanks, Julia!

You will also find that all successful movements, such as the Wheat Belly movement, will create detractors, many of whom are simply trying to share the spotlight by picking rather silly fights.

Have your nut and seed meals as muffins and cookies and you will enjoy wonderful health. Let the occasional naysayers enjoy their unnecessarily restrictive diets.

2. Rachael Sweeney says:

The Pizza 1 recipe call for 1.5 cups ground almonds. Is this the same as almond meal/flour?

3. Jeanne says:

Not necessarily. I thought almond meal and almond flour were the same until I went to Trader Joe’s. Their almond meal is ground almonds Whereas Nuts.com almond flour is blanched ground almonds. The almond meal is ground almonds with the skin on and almond flour is ground almonds with no skin. So far I have only found almond meal at Trader Joe’s. It does make a difference when you use it in baking. It makes your baked goods a little more dense.

• Fred Dempster says:

Correct – need to read carefully as different folks label it differently. And we only buy both (plus other wheat-free) at nuts.com. Quality is superior to all others we tried on a consistent basis.

4. cathy says:

I would like to know about corn in a diet. I have taken out the flour, but I do eat corn tortillas with my eggs in the morning and we eat corn chips with salsa. Is there any issues with doing this, or should we eliminate corn from our diet as well?

Corn is #2 after wheat as a problem grain, Cathy.

I will be posting some discussions about this near-future.

5. Sara F says:

In the hardcover book there is an issue with the recipe for Rye Bread on page 226, the recipe calls for 1Tablespoon of baking soda. I made the bread this way and the bread was terrible tasting – like baking soda!
    I think this is a typo and should read 1 teaspoon.
    Is that correct?

I love the book though!

Thanks

6. Pegi Simpson says:

I’m wondering about the Broccoli and Mushroom Frittata. It calls for 2 cups of half and half. Any frittata I have made in the past has had 2 – 4 tablespoons of cream. I’m thinking this sounds like way too much. Could this be a typo?
    By the way, loved the pancakes!!

7. Riaan says:

Thank you for a wonderful cookbook. I am working my way through it and am glad for some great ideas. I made the Herbed Focaccia last night and it was delicious. I wonder though, about the calorie count when compared to the basic focaccia (only difference is the basic has buttermilk, garbonzo flour and 4 whole eggs whilst the herbed has3 egg whites and the sundried tomatoes and olives) as both are similar in size. The calories are listed: Herbed Foccacia 2 servings at 188 calories per serving (so total of 376 calories for the whole focaccia)
    Basic Foccacia 12 servings at 205 calories per serving (so total of 2460 for the whole focaccia).
    Should the basic foccacia be listed to make 2 servings instead of 12?

It looks to me like a miscalculation on the herbed focaccia; it must be substantially higher.

But remember: NOBODY here is counting calories. In fact, in the first Wheat Belly book, I purposefully left out calorie counts because I wanted to discourage people from counting calories.

8. Mer says:

I am still confused by the Coconut Flapjacks recipe in my Kindle edition. I made them yesterday and I hate to say it, but I think they taste terrible. It calls for 1/4 cup coconut flour and 1/4 cup almond meal. The pancakes seemed on the thin side and the batter was pretty liquid. The recipe calls for a whole teaspoon of baking soda, which I think might be the taste issue. Should it actually be half a teaspoon? One quarter?

The basic Wheat-Free Pancakes in my Kindle version calls for 3 cups of almond meal, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, a totally different ratio. It seems by comparison the Coconut version has too little flour AND too much baking soda… Should the correction in the original post be 4 cups flour instead of 1/4? That sounds like too much flour then….

Thanks for any help. The other recipes I’ve baked so far have been great!

• Shari says:

Mer, I agree. Did you ever get a response? I’m hesitant to try it, with such a comparably small amount of “flours”.

• Vera says:

I tried the Coconut Flapjacks recipe from the hardcover book, and I too was wondering about the baking soda measurement. Since all the other recipes I tried tasted great, I used 1 teaspoon of baking soda as directed. Unfortunately all I could taste was baking soda so I ended up throwing it all out. I came out to the blog hoping to find a corrected version of the recipe, but no luck. :(

• Jane says:

I just made the coconut flapjacks as per the recipe and the batter was way to thin , almost impossible to flip. I added almost double the flours to the remainder and it was too thick……so added a little more almond milk to get the right consistency and they finally started coming out ok. The basic pancakes were great, but this recipe definitely needs work! Most of the other recipes I have tried have been pretty good!

• CT says:

My boyfriend and I noticed this discrepancy between the two recipes, too, so when making the coconut flapjacks we added more almond meal by the quarter cup until it looked right–¾ cup almond meal altogether seemed to work out all right, all other ingredients left as is. Hope that helps!

9. Sarah says:

I love the Wheat Belly and have given it to people and recommended to lots of others. I’m slowly working through some of the recipes. We have a fondness for brownies in our house so I tried the Mocha Walnut Brownies the other night, minus the mocha (not coffee lovers). It was awful. When I took it out of the oven it looked like a bubbling cauldron of oil surrounding some dark brown junk. I let it cool a bit and had a bite and it is unpalatable. Even my husband spit it out! Any suggestions? I followed the recipe and double checked everything before and after and the other change was leaving out the “mocha”.

Hard to know, Sarah, without looking over your shoulder. This recipe has proven tried and true, many times over.

It sounds like the temperature was too high. Could your oven’s thermostat settings be off?

• Darlene says:

Sarah, I had the same experience with this recipe. I posted a comment somewhere on the blog but don’t remember where it is right now. It seemed there was way too much butter; so much so that I had to blot it after removing the pan from the oven. We did eat them so as not to waste all those expensive ingredients, but I’ve just crossed it off the list for now. There are so many other recipes out there, and this is the only really bad experience I’ve had so far.

• Cheryl says:

I had the same problem, too much butter, was wondering if it should be 1/4 c. instead of 3/4 c?

• Debbie says:

I had the same problem. I don’t think it was the butter though. When I did a search for the recipe online , it was a bit different. It called for 2 cups of Almond flour, yet in the Wheat Belly cookbook the Mocha Walnut Brownies doesn’t call for almond flour. I think that is why they were so greasy.

10. Shari says:

I agree exactly with Mer’ s question on April 29th about the amount of almond meal needed in the coconut flap jack recipe. We love the basic flap jack recipe which calls for 3 cups almond meal, but I’m afraid to try the coconut flap jack recipe from my Kindle because it only calls for a TOTAL of 1/2 cup “flours” (1/4 almond & 1/4 coconut) & is supposed to make a similar amount as the basic recipe!

11. Chetna says:

Hi Dr. Davis,

Is there any substitute for buttermilk that would be dairy-free such as vinegar ? On the internet, I could only find milk and added vinegar or yogurt as substitutes. Do you think coconut vinegar might be able to add sourness in the recipes that use buttermilk such as your walnut bread?

• Sue says:

Instead of vinegar use lemon juice. I think 1 cup of milk with 1 tsp lemon juice is similar to buttermilk. I hope this helps.

12. Randy says:

Re: Coconut Flapjacks Recipe
    Is it possible the recipe on page 98 of the hardback version of the Cookbook should read 3 cups of almond flour vice 1/4 cup? I think the 1/4 cup of coconut flour is accurate to enhance the flavor from the other wheat-free pancake recipe on page 96, but there’s no way to make 16 pancakes from just 1/2 cup total flours as the recipe on page 98 is written. Thoughts? I’ve lost 35 pounds in just 3 months, enjoying endless energy, and I’m a true believer because of the Wheat Belly book!

• Kim in Wellington says:

Randy, did you ever find out the correct measurement for the almond flour? I’m wondering if its not supposed to be 4 cups almond flour and 1/4 cup coconut flour. I’ve tried going through the older posts but I’m still not finding the correct measurements to the Coconut Flapjacks.

13. ellemiek says:

hello, I have been trying to use coconut flour as a thickener for sauces and gravy and I just can’t seem to get it to work. Do I need a special coconut flour? I tried to dissolve it in cold liquid first before boiling it. This doesn’t work. Adding it while the liquid is boiling doesn’t work either. It just looks like tiny pieces of coconut dissolved in water or another liquid. The only way I can get it to thicken is by adding so much that any powder would thicken it. Am I using the wrong stuff?

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Try konjac root powder. Also known as gloucannon, You can purchase it it most Asian stores or as pills in a health food store. Guar gum and xanthum gum also works. Bob’s Red Mill products often carry these. Sometimes chia seeds can be used, packaged gelatin too.

Coconut flour needs time to absorb the liquid it is in making it tricky to use in a sauce.

14. Angela says:

I made the coconut flapjack recipe just now as written (except used regular 2% organic milk) and they were great! Coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid so the batter turned out great after it sat mixed while I heated the pan.

15. Randy says:

I used 3 cups of almond meal/flour, and the recipe turned out fine.

16. Lorraine says:

The nutritional numbers in the Wheat Belly Cookbook usually say for one serving, for example: Flaxmeal Crackers pg 241. Is one serving one cracker?

17. Debbie says:

Hi Dr. Davis, I’m wondering what the true ingredient list is supposed to be for the Mocha Walnut Brownies. They didn’t turn out in the cookbook. I googled the recipe and it was quite different. The online version said only 2 eggs and called for Almond flour. The recipe in the cookbook doesn’t call for Almond flour and calls for 4 eggs. Is the recipe in the cookbook correct?
    Debbie

P.S. my whole family is off of wheat. I refuse to buy it anymore and my husband has lost 20 lbs. and his arthritis is 95% better!! Thank You!!!!!

18. Ellen says:

Crepes with Ricotta and Strawberries: I tried this recipe from page 100 of the hardcover. Tasted delicious but no matter what I did I could not get them to hold any kind of shape when I flipped them (or tried to). I even tried not flipping them and just cooking them on one side, putting on a lid and letting them sit to finish cooking, then sliding them onto a plate. Still ended up with a jiggly mass. More like a scramble than a crepe.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else made this one?