Wheat Belly: Quick & Dirty 2

In view of the many new readers on the Wheat Belly Blog, many of whom have not yet had an opportunity to read the book but are eager to get started, here is the updated Wheat Belly Quick & Dirty summary. It summarizes the essential dietary strategies of the Wheat Belly approach to 1) avoid all products made from high-yield, semi-dwarf wheat that wreak health destruction, and 2) create a diet that is otherwise healthy and appropriate for all members of the family.

This is the same diet I advise patients in my office to follow that achieves spectacular reductions in weight, provides relief from joint pain and acid reflux, reduces triglycerides, shoots HDL upward, reduces small LDL particles (the #1 cause of heart disease in the U.S!), and unravels diabetic/pre-diabetic tendencies. The diet starts with the biggest step of all: elimination of wheat. But a healthy diet cannot end there, else you and I could eat no wheat but fill our calories with soft drinks and jelly beans. So the next step is to limit carbohydrates if your goal is to lose more weight and correct metabolic distortions like high blood sugar and small LDL particles. Then, we choose our foods wisely to avoid the common boobytraps set for us by Big Food and Agribusiness, not to mention the friendly dietitian at the hospital! Diet in the 21st century is no longer just about carbs, proteins, and fats–it is also about being savvy about the changes introduced into our foods by food producers.

Eliminate:
All wheat-based products (all breads, all breakfast cereals, noodles, pasta, bagels, muffins, pancakes, waffles, donuts, pretzels, crackers), oat products (oatmeal, oat bran), corn and cornstarch-based products (sauces or gravies thickened with cornstarch, prepared or processed foods containing cornstarch, cornmeal products like chips, tacos, tortillas), sugary soft drinks, candies.

Avoid processed foods containing wheat, such as soy sauce, Twizzlers, Campbells Tomato Soup, salad dressings, taco seasoning–examine ALL labels and avoid any food with mention of wheat. (It’s not a bad idea to avoid foods with labels! Cucumbers and spinach, for instance, generally don’t come with labels.)

Enjoy unlimited:
Vegetables-except potatoes; fresh or frozen, never canned
Raw nuts and seeds-raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamians; dry-roasted peanuts (not roasted in oil); pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, and chia seeds
Healthy oils (preferably unheated, whenever possible)-olive, flaxseed, coconut, avocado, walnut
Meats-red meats, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs. (Consider free-range, grass-fed and/or organic sources.)
Ground flaxseed, chia seeds
Teas, coffee, water, unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk or coconut water
Cheeses—real cultured cheeses only (not Velveeta or single-slice processed cheese)
Avocado or guacamole; hummus; unsweetened condiments, e.g., mayonnaise, mustard, oil-based salad dressings; ketchup without high-fructose corn syrup; pesto, tapenades; olives

Limited:
Fruit-No more than 2 servings a day (one serving is a level handful), preferably in this order (best first): berries of all varieties, citrus, apples, nectarines, peaches, melons. Minimize bananas, pineapples, mangoes, and grapes and only in the smallest of quantities (since they are like candy in sugar content)
Fruit juices-only real juices and in minimal quantities (no more than 2-4 oz)
Dairy products-No more than 1 serving per day of milk, cottage cheese or yogurt, unsweetened (Fat content does not matter.)
Legumes/beans; peas; sweet potatoes and yams; rice (white and brown); organic soy
Dark chocolates-70-85% cocoa or greater; no more than 40 grams (approximately 2 inches square) per day
Sugar-free foods–preferably stevia-containing, rather than aspartame; other safe sweeteners include erythritol and xylitol
Polyunsaturated oils–safflower, sunflower, mixed vegetable

Never:
”Gluten-free” foods made with rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch, or potato starch
Fried foods
Fast foods
Hydrogenated “trans” fats
Cured meats–hot dogs, sausages, bacon, bologna, pepperoni “fixed” with sodium nitrite
High-fructose corn syrup containing foods; honey; agave syrup; sucrose
Processed rice, rice flour or potato products-rice crackers, rice cereals, pretzels, white breads, breakfast cereals, potato chips
Fat-free or low-fat salad dressings

Quick tips:
For healthy breakfast choices, consider ground flaxseed as a hot cereal (e.g., with coconut milk, organic milk, or unsweetened almond milk; blueberries, strawberries, etc.). Also consider eggs; raw nuts; cheese; consider having “dinner for breakfast,” meaning transferring salads, cheese, chicken, and other “dinner” foods to breakfast.
Add 1 tsp or more of taste-compatible healthy oil to every meal. For example, mix in 1 tbsp coconut oil to ground flaxseed hot cereal. Or add 2 tbsp olive oil to eggs after scrambling. Adding oils will blunt appetite.
If you suspect you have a wheat “addiction” and are struggling to break it, use the first week to add healthy oils to every meal and reduce the amount of wheat by half. In the second week, aim for elimination of wheat while maintaining the oils.
Reach for raw nuts first as a convenient snack.
Use the recipes in the Wheat Belly Blog and book whenever cravings hit: cookies, muffins, brownies, coffee cake, cheesecake from the recipes can quell appetite with no downside.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly--The Book, Wheat Belly: Quick & Dirty. Bookmark the permalink.

495 Responses to Wheat Belly: Quick & Dirty 2

1. Brenda says:

Hi
    I am trying to navigate through the foods for the WB lifestyle. I have a few questions.
    1) Where do pears fall on the (limited fruits) list? Is it up with berries & citrus or down with bananas and pineapple?
    2) Will eating something out of a can (because of BPA) impede weight loss and other health benefits from WB or is it more of a warning due to the cancers that BPA causes?

And I can’t wait for the cookbook.
    Thanks in advance

2. Brenda says:

WOW! I’m in shock. I knew I had belly fat (among other issues-bad acid reflux, Supra ventricular tachycardia, etc) but last check I was 200lbs at 5`11 and 43 yrs old. I am just starting WB and got on the scale – 207.2lbs SUCKS! Must be from the quinoa and brown rice I was using as side dishes. This is day 1 and so far I have had my black coffee, a pear, a handful of cashews, and some scrambled eggs with fresh mushrooms in butter and added the 2 tbsps. of olive oil and a half glass of coconut almond milk. My husband actually commented about how good the eggs were without adding his usual salt/ pepper and ketchup along with his side of toast. I am really excited and hopeful. I can’t wait to see some results and for my WB cookbook to get here.

• Brenda says:

I am also making homemade summer sausage from ground beef and seasonings to go with things like cheese and olives.

3. Brenda says:

Ok. 1st day eating nothing but what’s on the list….
    Pistachios and raspberries for a snacks throughout the day…now
    my acid reflux kicked up and my stomach
    is bothering me. Is that normal?

Too early to make any judgments, Brenda, as you could be in the throes of wheat withdrawal.

If it persists, then there is something wrong beyond wheat in your gastrointestinal tract.

4. Kris says:

A found your site 10 days ago and have been eliminating wheat from my diet. Nothing much has changed except for the first time in my life my nose isn’t half-stuffy anymore. I have to keep remembering to breath through my nose now instead of my mouth! LOL

I thought it was just wheat I should be careful with. Now I see there are sugar issues as well. I think I can deal with those also. But my concern is your advice to limit dairy in the diet. I am a 66-year old woman, normal weight, diagnosed with osteopenia. Though I’ve taken 1200mg calcium carbonate for years, my bone density scans get worse. I’m active, exercise 2-3 times a week (mostly stretching), use weights occasionally and am trying desperately to avoid osteoperosis. (Latest blood work: Calcium, Serum 9.6 range 8.6-10.2 / VitD, 25-hyrdroxy 34.1 range 30-100). I tried calcium citrate for a couple of weeks, but had symptoms of overdose (dry mouth, thirst, extra bathroom time…) so quit those.

Thinking supplements aren’t digestible, I’ve added more dairy in the past 2 months, thinking that kind of calcium would be more accessible. Will this help? If not, how can I deal with bone loss issues if I limit dairy?

Thank you for any advice, Dr. Davis.

• James says:

You need vitamin D to absorb calcium in your guts. Vitamin D is fat soluble, so you need fish fat (oil) or flaxseed oil for example. And butter will provide some vitamin A, D and K2 (very important as it activates some proteins that vitamin A and D tell the cells to produce).

I removed milk from my diet, because of the lactose, but I eat tons of clarified butter / full fat cream cheese and greek yogurt, and I insist: FULL FAT. That’s where the goodies are, especially if the source is organic and grass-fed! You can also get buffalo-milk based mozzarella (the best for that type of cheese). Never felt better in my grown-up life!

• Kris says:

Thanks, James. I’m glad you are feeling so good.

I take 400 iu VitD daily and include 1/4C freshly milled flax seed for breakfast daily. I could take another VitD supplement, but it’s the calcium I really need. Question – I make Greek-style yogurt from whole milk. Aside from the discarded whey, how is yogurt different from the milk you avoid?

• James says:

re yogurt:

The carb content for 100g of yogurt is ~ 4g WHEN it was made. But you know that the bacteria culture continues its job, namely processing the remaining lactose into lactic acid. And it goes with the whey. My yogurt always ends up with some residual whey and the initial carbs are even lowered by the bacteria culture. So I know that when I eat the yogurt, I get barely any carbs at all. But that’s only interesting if you are into low carb diets …

Well, calcium first of all does virtually nothing for bone health . . . but it does increase risk for heart attack and valve disease. That’s why I take my patients OFF all calcium supplements.

I have patients supplement vitamin D sufficient to achieve a blood level of 60 ng/ml, usually 6000 units per day in gelcap form. This quadruples calcium absorption in the intestinal tract. The limiting factor was never calcium INTAKE; it was calcium ABSORPTION due to vitamin D deficiency.

After this, there are a number of strategies you can incorporate for bone health. We are now getting beyond the scope of things we do on this blog about wheat.

• eema.gray says:

Besides diet, you need weight bearing exercise. I have a relative who reversed a considerable amount of her osteoperosis by lifting free weights with all the young men down at her local YMCA. Unfortunately, weight machines won’t do the trick and neither will little hand weights. You need bars you can load with more weight as your strength improves. The relative I’m thinking of was regularly lifting 100 – 150 before bone cancer caught up with her but she was in her early 90′s at that point. :-)

• Kris says:

How wonderful for you aunt, eema. My biggest problem with lifting heavy weights (and most exercise in general) is that I have a degenerating ankle from an old injury. It will not take much weight/stress as the bones are collapsing. So I do what I can with smaller free weights. Yes, I’m limited, but I don’t give up.

5. Glee says:

Hello, I greatly enjoy your comments! I have a simple question. What is bulletproof coffee? Thanks, Glee

6. Yavor Konstantinov says:

Although I’m wheat free for some time and I definitely feel many positive effects (hypertension disappeared for example), I still have some doubts:

Italians are among the nations with highest wheat consumption per capita, and still one with the highest life expectancy. How do you explain that?

I suppose I should cover this in a blog post, Yavor, as we’ve discussed this previously on many occasions.

Suffice to say that there are a number of factors at work, including method of preparation, heavier fat intake among Italians, use of older wheat strains like farro and emmer.

Also, there is much more to the wheat conversation than just weight gain. And the Italians are not immune to weight gain and diabetes, they are just not as far along.

• Yavor Konstantinov says:

Thank you Dr. Davis,

Will stick to the forum and hope you will cover this topic among other useful ones, many of which you have already covered.

7. Janet says:

I am on day 3
    Seem to have improved mental clarity upon waking with energy to start the day.
    Looking forward to seeing more benefits

8. Sam says:

Hi – I hope this isn’t a stuid question. We can have all veggies except the starchy ones. Even carrots? I ask because years ago I did a high protein diet, and carrots were discouraged because of the high sugar content. Is it ok to eat carrots and still lose weight with this plan? I’m starting tomorrow, so I really appreciate any response I can get! Thanks!

Most people do fine by limiting their per meal carbohydrate exposure to around 15 grams “net” carbohydrates (total carbs minus fiber, an old Dr. Atkins concept, but correct). One cup chopped uncooked carrots contains around 12 grams total carbs, 3 grams fiber = 9 grams net.

• Brenda says:

So how many carrots per day? I am eating them with hummus so
        During the day at work as a between meal snacj.

• James says:

Hi Brenda,

I would say (but it is not a rule) that if you eliminate wheat, grains and starches from your diet, your snacking will stop.

This said, I read that the glycemic load of a carrot is 3. Any GL below 10 is really low. Only looking at the glycemic index can be misleading because the GI is based on measuring the effect of 50g or 100g of net carbs of a particular food. To reach 100g of net carbs from carrots, you need to eat A LOT of them. The GI of carrot is ~ 45 and that is how fast compared to glucose (100) 50g of carrot net carbs would affect your blood sugar level (so 45% as fast as pure glucose). But if you eat one carrot only, I can already foresee that it will have barely any effect on your blood sugar. You can see data here:

• Brenda says:

Thanks. Today is day 3 for me in complete elimination
            but I started reading the book 3 weeks ago and slowly
            started changing things out and the 1st swap was the granola type bars & chips for carrots. Yes I am hoping the snacking urge will go away.

9. Tom Roy says:

I’ve been on the diet for just about a month and I can feel the change. I’m beginning to see the change around my belly and feel it too. Quick question though: I notice that Processed Rice and rice flour is in the “Never” list. I’m from an Asian background, and thought that rice would be a great way to cut out wheat. Could you share a word on what you mean by “Processed Rice”? I went out and bought Rice Pasta – and I’m guessing, that was a mistake? Another mistake I made was to have rice crackers for breakfast instead of toast. Also guess that’s out?

• Carol says:

I’m anxious to hear an answer to that from the Doctor. My rice pasta is made of “RICE BRAN” and I dont know if that falls into the “bran” category or NO NEVER, or the “rice” category of SPARINGLY.
      Which is it?

10. David Somerville says:

Dr. Davis.
    Speerville Mills here in NB Canada has a pre gene splicing red fife wheat for sale local organic farmer wanted to know if its going to be ok to use? Miss my wraps and ones I found recipe wise so far do not cut it.

I appreciate any feedback on red fife

11. lane says:

12. lane says:

Does almond flour bread make you gain weight? I stopped drinking milk and eating yogurt about 2 months ago- i use only almond milk now. I stopped all wheat and grains about 2 weeks ago; I bake my own bread with almond flour and eat that every day for breakfast and sometimes at dinner. Lunch is a 150 calorie Shakeology. For something sweet, I’ll bake almond flour cookies and i’ll eat maybe 1 a day. this is nothing out of the ordinary for me, i am pretty good at moderation, and i run a few miles every other day. since i started baking with almond flour, i have gained a few pounds. while i feel better and i am less bloated in the belly, the number on the scale has gone up. is the almond flour bread that much higher in calories? i don’t snack, and though i have stopped counting calories since going wheat free, i used to consume less than 1800 calories a day. i’m trying to lose 15 pounds. the almond flour bread and shakeology really make me full, so i only eat 3 times a day, and drink a lot of water. thanks for your help.

Almond flour should be fully supportive of weight loss, or weight maintenance. It should not cause weight gain (as fat; it does support weight gain as muscle mass).

What’s in a Shakeology?

• lane says:

Shakeology is a nutrition shake with Chia, Whey, Pea protein, Flax, Sacha Inchi, Maitaki mushroom, Cordyceps, Camu Camu, Acai, Pomegranate, Goji Berry, Schisandra, Kamut Grass, Amaranth, Bilberry, Cholorella, Spirulina, Barley Grass, Moringa, Gingko, Maca root, Holy Basil, Yacon and about 70 other superfood ingredients that are too numerous to list here. Its expensive but its an amazing drink. 150 calories- keeps you full for hours. My father has cancer and is tired all the time- he has a Shakeology every day and like others who drink it, swear by its ability to give you energy.

What’s the macronutrient breakdown of this drink (carb, fat, protein)?
          Anyone with cancer needs to take a hard look at recent assertions that cancer cells require that the victim be on a glycemic diet, and cannot survive a ketogenic diet. If that drink has any significant amount of carbs, it’s not as super as you might think. The kamut makes me nervous, too.

Shakeology looks pretty shaky. I downloaded the Supplement Facts for the chocolate. Interesting that it’s not Nutrition Facts, but then I suppose the product focus is on the supplements.

At 2 grams of fat per serving, this product is way too low in fat for a Wheat Belly, paleo, or NK diet. All of the nutrients are going to be carbs and protein. It will keep you in glycemic metabolism. You probably don’t want to be there.

The net carbs per serving is 11 grams, which might be OK, depending on what else you consume along with it, because it is way far from being a meal.

More troubling are these ingredients from gluten-bearing plants:
          barley grass, kamut grass and wheat grass.
          They are among the last listed, could easily have been omitted, and indicate that the formulators of this product do not know what they are doing. There were apparently added as alkalizers, but they prevent the product from claiming gluten-free, in additional to whatever low levels of other grain toxins they contribute.

My conclusion: this is a trendy buzzword product, and not the result of emerging nutritional wisdom. Drink a WB smoothie instead.

Thanks, Boundless: As always, you are a gem!

Update on Shaky ology …

consumerlabs.com (subscription site) lately updated:
            Popular Protein Powders, Shakes and Drinks Reviewed
            31% of Protein Powders Flunk Quality Tests

Shakeology Greenberry had 12.7 mcg of lead (Pb) per scoop, about 12x the threshold for a CA warning label.

Shaky reportedly responded in some forum (not found on their main site, natch) that CL fails to distinguish naturally occurring lead in the plants used.

Hello?
            I translate this as:
            “The reported high lead levels are correct.
            We don’t care, but watch this handwaving.
            We don’t plan to do anything about it.”

CL, by the way, is worth subscribing to. They test supplements and meal replacements. Incompetence, negligence and outright fraud are rampant in these markets. You will easily save the subscription cost by avoiding worthless or dangerous products.

CL is doing the job that you might mistakenly assume the FDA is supposed to do. The FDA, alas, is too busy oiling their revolving doors with big pharma, persecuting raw milk sellers, and ignoring the effects of official destructive dietary advice.

13. Tina R says:

Good afternoon Dr. Davis,

I have been wheat free for 6 days now and feel wonderful. I still get some arthritis pain in my hands and feet but I expect that may take some time to completely clear up. Then I just reread this post from you and see that you want us to eliminate oat meal as well. I will start that tomorrow and see what happens with my pain. I have been having plain oatmeal with a small cut up apple and cinnamon for breakfast. I saw you on the Dr. Oz show and bought your book on my Nook before the show was over. My 16 year old daughter and I are following the plan and we love it. I am down 7 pounds and full of energy. My heartburn is gone and I have a ton of energy. I still have some aches and pains, but that could be the oatmeal. I will let you know how that goes. My question for you pertains to cheese. Can we have The Laughing Cow creamy swiss cheese? I like it on celery and I checked the website and there is no wheat listed in the ingrediants but I still wanted to check with you. I only have a few triangles left so if you suggest not to eat them I won’t. I am also slowly eliminating wheat from my 5 year olds diet. I need to come up with ideas to pack for her lunch so if you have ideas or if this gets posted hopefully someone out there will have ideeas. She loves wheat, bread, cereal and pasta. I eliminated cereal from the house over a year ago and she was fine with it. She now only has fruit for breakfast since she doesn’t like eggs. Dinner is easy because she loves all meat, fish and chicken and most veggies. She is a creature of habit and loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. I plan on making my own peanut butter this weekend and will buy your cookbook as soon as it comes out on the 24th. I am sure the Wheat Belly book has recipes in it but I am not there yet. I will be making bread out of almond flour soon but still would like other ideas for her lunch. Thank you again for this wonderful book.

Dairy is not without its own problems, Tina, mostly related to estrogen content, exposure to bovine growth hormone, and the insulinotrophic effect of whey. The first two problems are reduced by purchasing organic dairy products. The last seems to be a problem for only some people, suggested by the inability to lose weight until dairy is avoided. So I’ve got some real reservations about modern dairy products, but the problems are, in general, not so great that we should eliminate.

14. Anna says:

What brand of coconut milk do you recommend? All of the ones I found have the ingredient carageenan in it. I hve a nut allergy, so I can’t have almond milk..do you suggest using the canned coconut milk, since they typically don’t have carageenan? Thank you!

15. Megan says:

I just finished reading Wheat Belly and am shocked and amazed by what I have read. I could relate to a lot of what I read. I also have always suspected my 4 year old daughter has ADHD. I am convinced eliminating wheat could help with her attention span and behavors. overr the course of the last 5-6 years my 50 year old mom has experienced many neurological symptoms including severe back pain, vertigo/loss of balance, numbness of hands/limbs, shaking/trembling of hands, etc. She has searched for a diagnosis with no luck. After reading the book, I am thinking she may have an undiagnosed wheat sensitivity. I have recommended the book to her. I wanted to let you know how much I loved the book as well as see if you have any tips for eliminating wheat from my family’s diet with a 4 (almost 5) year old child and a very picky, resistant husband? I also plan on buying your cookbook when it comes out!!

Just gotta do it, Megan! No secrets here.

Although our diets should be dominated by real, single-ingredient foods like vegetables, olives, meats, eggs, and nuts, having an armamentarium of wheat-free recipes really helps. You can still have cookies, muffins, and sandwiches–just follow the recipes here and in the book that help you recreate all these foods with none of the problems.

16. Dave says:

Hi Dr. Davis,

I was reading through your list of foods to avoid. Did you purposely omit the polyunsaturated vegetable oils from the “Limited” or “Never” categories?

Ooops. Thanks for catching, Dave!

I added it to the limited category. The data on just how to best manage intake of polyunsaturates/linoleic acid/omega-6 are just unclear. Note that linoleic acid is also among the essential fatty acids-you’ve got to get at least some, it’s just not clear how much is ideal.

17. Sheri says:

Hello! I am one week wheat free, and down 9 pounds and 1.5 inches off my waist! The past 2 nights, I’ve slept without any type of sleep aid (a first for me in YEARS), and last night I was able to sleep the entire night without my hands getting numb!! I still have cravings, but I know it’s not real cravings … meaning, its in my mind. I’m definintely a carb addict. There is no doubt about that. I have to remind myself every day that I don’t have to eat bread, pasta, chips, etc … that stuff never made me feel good, despite the “warm fuzzy feelings” it invokes when I think of them. Anyway, it’s a day by day thing with me, but I am very happy with these results so far. Especially the numbness going away. I can’t even tell you how long I’ve suffered with that. Thank you Dr. Davis!!

Terrific, Sheri! What an incredible start!

Metabolically, you are transforming health, reflected by the weight loss. And don’t restrict fat nor calories to help deal with hunger.

18. taly says:

hello
    i’ve been reading your blog for the last few days…so much information to absorb…
    i wanted to ask about Quinoa – is it “legitimate”, and what do you think of dried fruits – like dates, cranberies, raisens?
    thanks in advance

See:

On the dates (which are in some WB recipes), cranberries and raisins, it’s strictly a matter of net carbs.

• James says:

Hi taly,

From a glycemic view point, alll these foods have a very high glycemic index, which will cause an insulin spike, blocking fat “burning” for fuel and probably make you store all the excess energy from these carbs into your fat tissues. There’s not much glycogen we can store so all the carbs in excess are as a rule of thumb going to your fat deposits. That is the reason why many people, including myself, reduce their carb content (< 20-30g / day) and prefer dietary fat instead (proteins in moderation as they can also trigger insulin production via gluconeogenesis). We try to enter a nutrional ketotic state which is basically a "fat burning" metabolic mode.

I used to eat a lot of quinoa, I don't now and I don't miss it actually :)

19. Marc says:

I honestly cant believe how much you are saying we should eliminate. How could anyone not lose weight. I cant find my previous question, I hope I remember this one. Essentially were becoming carnivorous birds. I started to look and to say we’re addicted is hard to take because everything has wheat in it except nuts berries and meat. It’s not addiction to me, it’s just plain everything we eat. I like spaghetti. Not because I am addicted to wheat, because the combination of items are yummy. If I had an acceptable replacement to noodles I would be down, but ohhhh tomatoes are out too. Im just not agreeing with all this. I totally agree with the wheat, but to reduce man to nuts and berries, I just don’t fallow. Man was fine for hundreds of years, eating more than nuts and berries.

> I honestly cant believe how much you are saying we should eliminate.
      Yep. It’s pretty much 100% of the average vending machine, and perhaps 87.5% of the average grocery store. You might expect that when the reality is that 99% of humans are in the incorrect metabolism (glycemic).

> How could anyone not lose weight.
      Eat as much fat as you want and still lose weight. Do you grasp the implications of that? This is not a calorie-restricted diet.

> … and to say we’re addicted is hard to take because everything has wheat in it except nuts berries and meat.
      Wheat contaminates everything, and that’s a major part of the problem. You wrote your reply under the influence of wheat, in all likelihood. :)

> It’s not addiction to me, it’s just plain everything we eat.
      It’s addicting in addition to assaulting you from all directions. You seem to be in denial. That’s the wheat talking.

> I like spaghetti. Not because I am addicted to wheat, because the combination of items are yummy. If I had an acceptable replacement to noodles …
      There are suitable mimics in the WB recipes.

> … but ohhhh tomatoes are out too.
      Umm, where do you see that?

> I totally agree with the wheat, but to reduce man to nuts and berries, I just don’t fallow.
      Where do you get just nuts and berries? Berries, in fact, are on the limited list.

> Man was fine for hundreds of years, eating more than nuts and berries.
      Which hundreds of years? In the most recent 200 years, we have seen an explosion in choices of supposed foods (whether they contain wheat or not) which are entirely alien to however long one imagines humans have been around. We are not doing fine on it.

• Roland says:

Hello Boundless, I have been reading this thread and your wisdom is vast, your humor funny and your passion apparent, I do enjoy reading your replies.
        If I might ask what is a WB smoothie?
        Thanks Roland

> … what is a WB smoothie?
          Oops. Something I apparently made up or misremembered (or it may be on the currently not-working recipe pages of the blog). I’m not the family cook.
          The new cookbook has a Chocolate Coconut Ice Milk drink.

20. Pablo says:

I’m one of those people that is a serious athlete with a weight problem. I dont think I have unreasonable expectations about weight loss (it’s not like I want to get to 4% body bat, but instead I want to go from 24% to 9%); but I think that the only thing stopping me from making a national team is my weight.

Also, to be clear, I do NOT work out to loose weight. I workout because being a competitive athlete is intrinsically important to me

Here is my question: on a regular training day I probably use 700-800 calories in the workout, and in a hard day the number probably goes to 1500 and maybe even 2k. So, I cannot relate to the experience of dropping wheat and suddenly feeling great… quite the opposite, I feel ravenously hungry. And it has made it impossible for me to follow the guidelines and have only 2 fruits a day, an only one serving of dairy.

Any advice? what is the best way to manage caloric need like mine and follow Dr Davis’ plan?

Thanks!!!