The new Wheat Belly Cookbook now available!

It’s finally here: The new Wheat Belly Cookbook!

The new Cookbook’s got a bit of everything for everybody. For anyone unfamiliar with the arguments of Wheat Belly, the first section of the book reviews the fundamental reasons why modern wheat has been turned into the most destructive ingredient in the modern diet. For readers of the original Wheat Belly, there are updated discussions on issues including just what changed in wheat gliadin and why new alpha amylase inhibitors are the likely cause underlying the explosion in childhood allergies.

And, yes: There are 150 recipes! Breakfast, main meals, soups, stews, sandwiches, sauces and condiments, and–of course, my pride and joy–desserts in the Wheat Belly Bakery section that feature recipes for bread, cookies, pies, pretzels, and muffins. Recipes appropriate for children are designated “kid-friendly.” And there are additional discussions about use of safe sweeteners, how to assemble a capable wheat-free kitchen, and a Wheat Belly Happy Hour section on how to enjoy alcoholic beverages while remaining safely wheat-free. And there are some really powerful new stories of wheat-free success!

The Wheat Belly Cookbook is available at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Books a Million and other book retailers.

This entry was posted in Recipes, Wheat Belly Cookbook. Bookmark the permalink.

208 Responses to The new Wheat Belly Cookbook now available!

1. Martin Coleman says:

I, too, have found several mistakes in the recipes. I have been following the wheat belly diet for about eight months and find it to be very helpful, but since I got the cookbook, I have been disappointed. It’s also frustrating to have to search through the blogs for hints about the proper ingredients or amounts. To be fair to those of us who bought the cookbook, you should have a link on the homepage which gives us the corrected recipes.

2. Courteney Miller says:

Hello Dr. Davis,
    I just got the Wheat Belly cook book a couple weeks ago and have been knocking out the recipes left and right loving all of them. I do have two questions though. The first is in regards to the basic bread recipe. I made it this morning and followed exactly and it came out with a strong ammonia smell. Any ideas on what that could be??? I am throwing away because it is so strong. Also with the pecan crusted pork chops, the pecans after grinding up, were pretty moist so they wouldn’t stick to the pork chops. Any advice on that???
    Thanks for your help! We are going wheat/grain free along with my in-laws and my mom.

Hi, Courteney–

You encountered something called “Baker’s Ammonia.” To avoid, try this: BEFORE adding whipped egg whites, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or some variety of vinegar to the mixture and pulse until mixed. (It will foam a bit.) THEN add the egg white mixture. This will cause the acids in the lemon juice or vinegar to react with the baking soda first, preventing a reaction with the egg whites.

With the moist pecans, you could press a paper bowel for a minute to soak up any excess moisture before using it for breading.

3. lane says:

I wanted to make a comment about the calories of the recipes in the Wheat Belly Cookbook- the baked good calorie content is really high. I cut all wheat and grains out of my diet, and only eat almond flour bread. Initially, I was eating 2 pieces of toast in the morning, 2 pieces for a sandwich in the afternoon and maybe one slice at night with dinner. Normally I eat about 1600 calories a day on wheat, but off of wheat eating this almond flour stuff, i gained weight initially because i realized i was consuming nearly 700-800 calories a day just from the almond flour bread! The pancake recipe lists each pancake as 200 calories or so. You’ll still gain a pound for every 3500 calories you consume, and its really easy to hit that using the recipes from the Wheat Belly cookbook. Now I limit my almond flour bread consumption to once or twice a week, sweet goods like a cookie or two- once a week tops. Just because the recipe is in the book does not make it calorie or guilt free. be careful. Almond flour is really high in calories.

Your experience is exceptional, Lane: The majority of people do NOT have to be mindful of calories when the calories are mostly fats and proteins.

4. sherry harpell says:

I am a calorie counter, have high colesteral and blood pressure and just bought the cook book as I was going to try a new approach to my eating habits, however, your recipes have a very high salt content and all the meat and cheese are not conducive to colesteral…any comments.

Yes: cholesterol is nonsense and wheat-free people often need salt.

As you read the book, you will begin to understand that conventional dietary and health advice, such as that about “high cholesterol,” is advice crafted for the benefit of the food and drug industries, not necessarily for your benefit. This is discussed at length, but more so in the original Wheat Belly book, less in the Cookbook.

5. Linni says:

The cheese biscuit recipe is simply great! I probably make it once a week. My husband and I love these little biscuit treats, and I always add good, hard, raw grated cheddar cheese to them. Take a biscuit, dab it with a pat of butter, put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds, and it is a WONDERFUL snack. This recipe also gives me the perfect use for all my leftover egg whites. I add raw egg yolks to our smoothies, which always leaves me with a bunch of egg whites, which I would save for a few days and then finally throw out. :(

The thing with non-grain bread and baking is that you can’t expect these biscuits to be like your mother’s baking powder biscuits with white flour. But, think of these and the other recipes in the book as something entirely different. I have been off wheat for a year (after reading Wheat Belly), and I find I don’t even miss bread any more. I find I don’t ‘need’ substitutes – like GF flours any more. I did at first. I don’t any more.

6. Heather says:

Cook Book recipe for broccoli with cheese sauce. I have made this recipe twice and both times it did not thicken. Is the correct amount given for coconut flour (1 tsp.)?

The thickening power of different coconut flours differ. Consider adding additional coconut flour, but only an additional 1/2 teaspoon at a time (then wait a minute or so) until desired thickness achieved.

7. maily murray says:

HI Dr. Davis,

My husband is a man who needs meal to meal plan he HAS to follow. Do you have anything in the market with a daily menu plan of what to eat? If not, would you consider making a book such as that in the future?

Thanks, maily

No, sorry, Maily: no menu plan.

However, it would be quite easy to develop one off the recipes. Thanks for reminding me: I am writing a new cookbook and I will include menu plans there.

8. Kathy says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    The directions for Wheat-Free Turkey Gravy on page 213 of your Wheat Belly Cookbook instructs to whisk together the coconut flour and water. How much water should be used? Water is not in your list of ingredients. Thank you in advance for the correction to this recipe as I’m looking forward to making this when I roast my next turkey.

9. Dear Dr.Davis, ,
    I discovered your books while browsing @Amazon, read some excerpts and was hooked! I ordered both books and read The Wheat Belly Book in one day. What a fantastic journey. I am loving the recipes in the cookbook and I am grateful for them because they delivered me from cravings and that is amazing.
    I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and I feel like a *bionic woman* as I have already some of my joints replaced. I always had a very healthy diet, no junk food or junk drinks ever! But I bought a fabulous breadmaker and was proud of my homemade bread with whole wheat flour, gluten flour, wheat germ and flaxseeds. I have eaten Grain free for 10 days now and my joints are not inflamed anymore and I hurt less, what a blessing that is! I am not really over weight but I think I would like to loose 15 pounds since I have a wheat belly, emerged with Menopause. So far I have been unable to loose a single pound and I am wondering how many Carb-grams I am allowed . I am 5.5ft.tall and weigh 143lbs. It is a very calorie rich diet and now I am really worried. I looked for guidance regarding Carb-grams in both books and could not find any, maybe I missed it?
    I send both books to my daughters too, one of them has a boy 2 yrs.old with Acid reflex, he was breast fed for 8 months and had that condition already then!
    I am anxiously awaiting your response. Gratefully yours, Babra S.

The fact that your rheumatoid symptoms have responded so quickly is an extremely good sign, Barbra, as rheumatoid phenomena usually require many months to respond. Your quick response generally predicts and extravagant success!

Most of us do best in our weight loss efforts by limiting carbohydrates to 15 grams “net” carbs per meal or 4-6 hour digestive window. (“net” carbs = total carbs – fiber.)

• Dr.Davis, thank you for your quick reply, you are amazing!
        My joints are still *cool* to the touch! I have cancelled my infusion of Orencia as I am doing well.
        My Rosacea has calmed down too, my face used to flush twice a day ,a very embarrassing occurrence.
        Just finished my breakfast of very delicious almond meal pancakes, I added 3 drops of pure almond extract as the almond meal from Trader Joe,s is a bit bland.
        I still have trouble of pouring butter over them, it is so scary! I have to get used to the new mantra.
        Last night II prepared a roast with Cauliflower puree and mixed vegies sans corn.
        Fantastic. I loved every recipe so far, Thank you Dr.Davis.

10. Dr. Davis, I have unsweetened coconut meal, I planned on processing it in my Cuisinart to get flour. Is the commercial coconut flour different?

11. I really wish for an * E D I T * button. We make mistakes~!

12. SusieA says:

Hi Dr Davis,

I just received your cookbook and can’t wait to get cooking but I have a question about food for children in daycare. Generally in Australia – I’m not sure about elsewhere – we are not supposed to send nuts to school. Most of your recipes however are heavily nut based. Can you offer any suggestions for children’s lunchboxes that are not nut-laden? At the moment, my son gets plenty of fresh fruit and veg, cheese, meats etc. but I’d love to be able to send him in a nut-free treat for afternoon tea or to add a bit of variety for his lunch. He is not wheat free yet, but I have been reducing it considerably. He had been eating grain ‘fillers’ since he started eating so as much as anything, I need to get my head around another way of feeding him. He is 3 1/2 and thankfully not fussy, so I will accept any suggestions. I can also only send eggs 2 days per week due to a child with severe allergies which is a huge pity because he could eat eggs all day long.
    For a child, would you also exclude rice (inc. rice noodles), quinoa etc. And do you have thoughts on konjac based noodles/pastas. Konjac is an asian vegetable and the products are extremely low-carb. An example is ‘Slim Pasta’, available in Australia.

Many thanks,
    Susie

13. Melissa says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    Can you please explain what determines some recipes kid friendly and others not?
    Melissa

14. Lou says:

Is it safe for pregnant women to consume stevia, erythritol and xylitol? I’ve done some Web research but can’t find very much. Thanks,

Lou Donato

15. Pingback: Wedding Shrapnel | Wheat On Trial

16. Martina says:

Dr Davis,

I just had my gallbladder removed and am trying to eat low fat due to the effects fat has. I purchased your cookbook and the recipes look wonderful, but I am afraid of the weight gain I will have and nasty effects since the fat content is pretty high, as well as the calorie counts. Would you say that these recipes are probably not the right ones for me, even if I do cut out all wheat (per your book explanations, I really want to go wheat less).

17. Greg says:

Hi, has anyone tried Walden Farms’ BBQ sauces, salad dressings or ketchup? Or Guy’s BBQ sauce? Nutritionally they look OK for Wheat Belly, wondering about taste? Thanks!

• I agree with Barbara regarding the use of Splenda in their products……in addition, they list cornstarch in several items, along with ‘flavorings’ which usually sends me running in the opposite direction. Since they don’t indicate organic sources of ingredients, one must assume they are not and I found a few of the nutritional facts suspect in light of listed ingredients. While it may be better than some, it’s not ideal.

The serving sizes for both products (2 tablespoons) conveniently results in the carbs being zero (which just means less than 1). Carbs could be as high as 5%. The question is, is that a realistic serving size?

Tomatoes contain an unavoidable amount of sugar, so most tomato products, such as ketchup, cannot claim “sugar-free”. Apples, their ciders, and perhaps their vinegars, contain a lot of sugar, mostly free fructose. Corn starch is carbs. Splenda contains dextrose, in addition to any other concerns it raises.

In condiment quantities, these products don’t look that threatening. Our household prefers:

18. Barbara in New Jersey says:

Greg,

Walden Farms products contain sucralose which is a manmade sweetener and is not recognized by your body as being digestible. Surcralose is marketed as Splenda. This product sometimes causes intestinal distress and overall stress on your digestive organs because it is “foreign” and can result in an inflammatory response.

There are many paleo and primal web sites that provide recipes for delicious marinades and bbq sauces which taste a lot better to me. NomNomPaleo has wonder recipes! To answer your question: yes, I believe the product is OK to use as long as you don’t react to Splenda.