The Acne Miracle

The gastrointestinal tract (GI) is the front line, the primary battleground in the invasion of this foreign and poisonous grain, modern wheat, against our bodies. The 10-20 milligrams of wheat germ aggutinin, ingested every day by wheat-consuming individuals, for instance, damages the lining of the small intestine, while the gliadin protein (the very same gliadin that acts as an opiate and stimulates appetite, along with other mind effects) “unlocks” normal intestinal barriers to foreign substances. This last phenomenon, unique to wheat gliadin, is an important explanation for why wheat-consuming people develop autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and systemic lupus.

What happens in the GI tract is often mirrored on the skin. The destruction of the delicate bowel lining, acid reflux, bowel urgency, pancreatic damage, disruption of bowel flora, and other GI-damaging effects can be mirrored by skin dermatitis, seborrhea (most typically along the sides of the nose), psoriasis, dandruff, dryness, itching, as well as a long list of more serious conditions, even gangrene.

Acne is among the commonest expressions of the health disruption of wheat expressed on the skin, something experienced by 90% of adolescents, with continuing struggles for many adults. Here is Kelly’s story of finally being freed from the constant annoyance of acne with her wheat-free experience:

I have been a victim of acne for the past five years and have tried the elimination process food-wise to see what the problem is. Most people around me would say my skin problem was hormone-related but, truthfully, it did not make sense to me as a female to be in a constant ”hormonal imbalance” stage for five consecutive years. I did not want to opt for invasive skin treatments involving heavy medication to ”rid” the acne as that did not solve the problem really. It just did the esthetics.

I instead started the elimination process: eliminated all dairy for a period of time, then all caffeine and alcohol, then I got into blood types and eliminated some types of meat accordng to my blood type. Nothing seemed to work and wheat was not even a candidate on my elimination list, since I held zero knowledge on that front. I then got pregnant and more elimination took place (raw fish, unpasteurised products, etc.) and that’s when I fell on the Wheat Belly book (Thank the Lord!), not for losing weight in my case, but the chapter, ”Yo, pimple face!” caught my eye. To think that wheat could possibly play a role was inconceivable, but I was so keen on eliminating whatever was necessary to find the solution I went ahead and tried it.

Miracle is what happened. Literally.

Within a week, my acne on my forehead became ”inactive” and flattened out. My face was not acne-active all of a sudden. Every week, I had gotten used to a nice new acne pimple growing on my face–-and it suddenly stopped–so suddenly, I could not believe it.

It has been several months now that I am wheat-free and twice I consumed wheat, only to pay the price each time. After my wheat consumption, I had a new acne type pimple grow on my face: literally and unbelievably the day after! Could I be a better guinea pig than this? Putting myself to the test was the best thing ever. I am conscious that, being pregnant, there are real hormonal changes, and sometimes acne problems get worse or better, depending on the person. So I am curious to see once I deliver my baby, how my face will change. I have gotten the best compliments I have received in many years on the quality of my skin.

Health is certainly more than skin-deep. Eliminating wheat helped Kelly erase effects on her skin evidenced by acne, but it also exerts dramatic effects on gastrointestinal health–even if she does not perceive it! Losing the gliadin protein, for instance, means her bowels are going to regain normal bowel flora, resume normal bowel permeability and thereby reduce body-wide inflammation.

So Kelly has more to celebrate than “just” losing her acne: She has now been given back control over multiple facets of health!

This entry was posted in Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to The Acne Miracle

1. Jennifer Snow says:

This is one area where I haven’t seen any improvement after elimination of wheat and adoption of a very low-carb paleo-style diet. I still have prominent rosacea on my arms, face, and the back of my legs. Nothing I’ve ever done has ever made the slightest bit of difference.

I’ve read that rosacea may be the result of bacterial overgrowth in the intestines, so I’m wondering if I should consider a course of antibiotics followed by probiotics. I am experiencing mild ongoing intestinal problems as well (although nothing like what I used to have).

Your opinion would be much appreciated.

• Kate N. says:

Why not just add a very good probiotic to your daily routine along with fermented foods with live cultures (i.e. Bubbies sauerkraut or pickles). Another thing to consider is adding bone broth, or if you don’t have time to make that, add gelatin (from grass fed cows) to help heal your gut.

• Gayle Brown says:

Elimination of dairy was what took care of all of my lingering acne issues. Getting rid of all grains had helped a lot, but apparently the natural hormones in dairy where to blame for part of the problem. I’m fifty and have had really bad acne all my life, but for the last year my skin has been as clear as can be.

• Lori Miller says:

Cheese gives me acne–even artisan cheese.

• Jennifer Snow says:

I don’t have acne, exactly, I have rosacea. I don’t get zits, instead my skin is permanently red, thick, and feels scaly. I think I’m going to go on a full elimination diet for a month or two and see if it clears up. Then I can think about adding things back in.

• WereBear says:

Jennifer, you might want to look into Kopec Naturals:

I tried her Rosacea Relief and Skin Luxury face wash to excellent effect, even after I had been low carbing for many years and had seen improvement from that. While we might have eliminated the ingested irritant, the healing could take longer, and need a little help.

• Vinessa Chapates says:

I would definitely look into fermented foods and other probiotics, and make sure you are getting prebiotics as well….these will all help heal your gut. Also, drinking 2-3 tbsp of Raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar one to two times per day will help get the natural acid back up in your stomach. You can easily make your own fermented foods, and they are so good. stay away from pickled. Bubbies makes a wonderful fermented pickles and sauerkraut, stay away from sauerkraut at the grocery as they are pickled now not fermented.

• Vinessa Chapates says:

oh, also, you might try looking into gettin Norwex facial cloths. you use them with only water, no soap, and a high quality non-toxic moisturizer as well. i think they would help

• johny says:

The best dietary change you can do is The Vegan Diet.No animal foods!!
          And if you don t have the results that you need ,Go Raw Vegan.Raw vegan is the ultimate step you can do to regain your health.Lupus ,psoriazis ,acene,rozacea are autoimune dieseases.Milk is a big cause.Try Dr McDougall Diet.Is a very easy vegan diet to do .The Raw Vegan is a little more difficult!!Please excuse my english!!Bye!!

• Colin says:

You’ve had a lot of suggestions here Jennifer! I’ll add one more LOL, bacterial overgrowth is common in blood type A. If you are Type A and still looking for a solution I would read The Genotype Diet (follow up to Blood Type Diet) and see if you fall into Teacher or Warrior genotypes (mostly type A’s) then give the diet a try for a few weeks. There’s much more science behind it than people realise.
          Btw, modern wheat should be avoided by ALL blood types but I suspect most of the really miraculous recoveries from eliminating wheat are from Type O’s as they do particularly badly on grains and gluten. The diet that suites them best is grain-free, Type A’s actually do well on some grains.

• Deb says:

FWIW, I have been wheat/gluten free for 6 years and it didn’t help my rosacea. What did help my rosacea finally, was reading about low stomach acid and adding betaine hcl to each meal. The book, “Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You”, explains more.

You are now into an area in which I am not expert, Jennifer.

Nonetheless, should you try this benign experiment with probiotics, I’d love to hear what you experience!

2. allison says:

I never had acne problems like that, but the only time pimples appeared for me after dropping wheat was after a pizza binge (many of them).
    One of the huge things I noticed is that my face isn’t oily anymore. It used to be super oily and itch like crazy by the end of the day, and if I missed a shower, it woiuld be so disgustingly oily. A problem I do not have anymore.
    It wasn’t caused by bacon or cheese or butter like I always thought. It was the wheat, grains and sugars.

• Grace says:

This is so interesting. I too am extremely oily! I feel like my skin has improved but I also changed to all natural skin products from Greece so I guess maybe it’s a combo of both. But I too thought it was greasy food causing my greasy face – HA! I eat way more “grease” now than I ever did and I’m so much improved! :) I was at the company Christmas party last night. I work from home so I don’t see the co-workers very often. So many people asked me what I am doing because they said I looked especially good! I was actually surprised at that reaction because it came from many people not just one. Of course I told them I quit eating wheat!

3. Meredith says:

I noticed a huge difference in my skin after going wheat free.
    When I was a teen I had hardly any acne but after having my daughters my face broke out and stayed that way. I tried covering it up with make-up but it was just too bad. I tried almost every over-the-counter cleanser, even the high cost ones out there, my doctor prescribed antibiotics but nothing worked.
    I have been so embarrassed to go out in public, ashamed that people thought I wasn’t cleaning myself properly… I even had people state that straight out or some, even medical professionals ask if I had chicken pox or shingles!!!!! I felt bad for my now teen girls having to be seen with a mom who looked like this but there was nothing I could do.
    About 4 months ago I finally listened to my dad and read the “Wheat Belly” book and changed my eating habits.
    One of the first things I noticed was my face changing, this was after only a week of no wheat! I was so excited but also couldn’t believe it. There were many other changes, weight loss being one of them (30 pounds so far) but I wanted to know for sure that it was the wheat removal responsible for it so I we ordered pizza one night…. within half an hour I was running to the washroom with an upset stomach and the very next day I had new acne pop up. Yes, many people could say this is a coincidence, so I did this test a couple more times and the same thing happened every time!
    With going off the wheat my face has almost completely cleared (yes I have fallen and had a bit of wheat here and there so I know I have to pay the price for the indulgence). I have people who have known me for years comment on just how different I look now. I don’t have to wear make-up any more to cover up and my kids have even found their teen acne clearing!

I talk to so many people about this book and aside from the studies that Dr. Davis provides, I now have my own proof of health benefits to share.
    It is a whole new loife :)

• Meredith says:

*Life :D

• JIllOz says:

Indeed, so glad to see your acne has been aided by going off wheat!!

i was at the pahrmacists’s today and mentioned that they might like to stock Wheat Belly after they’d read and assessed the book and blog. One of the assistants got excited when i said that Dr Davis was ex diabetic and had reversed his diabetes. If they stocke the books and sell it, I think she’ll be hearing about more cases of “reversed diabetes!”

BTW, I am generally careful when recommending WB that wheat is not the cause of ALL medical problems!! I point out that wheat/can intensify causes a lot of them, but there may be underlying or other medical problems with someone.

Wonderful, Meredith!

I’m going to post your comment as a follow-on blog post, as others really, really need to hear this!

Thank you for sharing your story.

4. Bea Pullar says:

Should that be “wheat germ agglutinin”? One reference I found to explain what it does:
    My acne story was horrible right up to when I was diagnosed with diabetes 12 years ago. I joined a couple of excellent internet groups and followed the advice given there – especially by two medical writers. So I was on a relatively low carb diet plus low GI vegetables, and a small serve of protein per meal. My acne disappeared.
    People usually don’t believe I am 75 – and say I have good skin. And I don’t have grey hair. However, I have had psoriasis since I was 12 years old, mostly it’s under control but quite bad on my scalp. Going wheat free has not made any difference there but certainly the other benefits have been fantastic. Provided I am vigilant when out, I practically never have diarrhea and no more bloating plus the weight loss have been wonderful benefits of going wheat free. I have just booked to give another free talk on the Wheat Belly book at my local library early next year.

5. Donna says:

A friend who always had breakouts on her head because of extremely thick hair. While she was at my home her hair dryer quit working. I let her use mine, which was a stronger model. Her skin problem disappeared. In her case, her hair was so thick it was hard to get it completely dry at the scalp.

6. Tony says:

Hi Dr Davis and commenters,

I was wondering if any of you have ever had any patients or readers that have tried wheat belly notice any type of increase in testosterone levels? I am a 40 year old male and have ben doing the blood type diet for a little over a month now my blood type is b- so pretty much all wheat has been cut out with the exception of oat meal which after visiting this site and watching you on Oz I have decided to switch back to eggs for breakfast. I was told I might have low T levels and did a blood test today and am waiting the results. However I do have a rare condition called cluster headaches (very painful) and recently was in a cycle and was told that T levels do drop during a cycle. I also had reflux for about 8 years and since pretty much eliminating wheat I havent taken a prilosec in months now and dont really have the issue anymore. I was told for bread replacement to try ezekiel bread but I wasnt sure if this was okay with wheat belly. I plan on going out today and grabbing your book. I do workout now about 4 days a week and have gone from 191 to 172 pounds. I do feel much better but i think incorporating your program to what I am currently doing will become very beneficial for me. I want to look like I did when I was 25 again lol….

Yes, losing the wheat can indeed cascade into raised testosterone levels.

Belly fat expresses the aromatase enzyme, converting testosterone to estrogen, thus reducing testosterone and increasing estrogen. (Belly fat also stimulates pituitary prolactin release: “pro” = encourages, “lactin” = lactation–it makes your breasts grow!)

Losing belly fat reduces aromatase activity, resulting in higher testosterone and lower estrogen levels. Thus, many males experience increased testosterone, increased muscle mass and strength, and increased libido and erectile function.

• Tony says:

thank you for your response. I am also taking D3 at 8000IU daily to help bring up T levels a little as well. My son also was diagnosed a few years ago with GERD he is now 13, since we cut wheat and wheat products out of his diet he too has been able to stop taking daily prilosec. I appreciate everything you are doing keep it up.
        I am trying to get my father in law to listen to this as well – he has had double bypass and is on a daily liptor regiment.

I also was doing the eat right for your blood type diet and did notice some good benefits from it but my type is B- and eliminates wheat as well. My wife on the other hand is a different type and has her eating wheat lol.. We are now following your routine. Thanks again.

• Sam says:

Tony,
      I am a 39 year old female and have no advice for your main question, however, I too suffered from what I am pretty certain was cluster headaches. I suffered with them from the age of 13-14 and they were getting worse as I got older. Felt about like there was an ice pick going into my eyeball. Since going wheat free two years ago, I have not had a single headache of that intensity! I have had one minor migraine that was likely caused by eating out and likely being wheated. It is such a wonderful change!!

Definitely read the book. Our first year, we were only gluten free and cheated on wheat on occasion. The second year, we read Wheat Belly and the family has been grain free ever since.

• Tony says:

I do believe that our typical western diet does play some kind of roles as triggers for headaches, migraines, and clusters such as GMO’s and MSG’s in our food chain. But a person that has clusters also has a deformity in the hypothalamus in the brain, so what happens is when you hit the REM pattern in sleep thus you awake in the most pain a human being can have. They still dont know how to treat it other than O2 and energy drinks lol. I have had many Rx’s for this and am now drug free. A well known Neuro doc at Stanford U close to where I live told me the secret to aborting them and keeping them at bay for many years. He did a research group approved by the FDA at one time and he used believe it or not magic mushrooms. I did this magic fungi for 3 weeks and they are gone and hopefully for good. I now consider myself to be in remission. The compounds within the fungi “Psilocybin” is now being used in other countries to treat depression, PTSD alcohol addictions and other addictions. There are also new research showing that D3 at 10,000 IU daily will help keep them at bay as well. The Psilocybin floods the brain with a heavy surge of serotonin and basically reboots the brain almost like hitting the side of an old tv fuzzing in and out. Hope you stay pain free. You are in the extra rare category with yours as most of us do not experience our first cycle until we are into our 20′s and even more rare as having a migraine as most of us have never had one of those. Good luck to you and thanks for commenting.

7. Susan Moles says:

Every winter I used to scratch my shins until they literally bled because they itched so badly. Since going low carb and giving up wheat in the process, that problem has not only disappeared, my shins are as smooth as silk even in the dry winter months. I really don’t need to use lotions on them at all anymore. Just one more of the many blessing of going wheat free! :)

My daughter actually had a similar situation, treated with steroid creams for about 10 years–now GONE with wheat elimination!

• allison says:

I have exactly the same problem for over 10 years now, in fact anywhere the bone is close to the skin, such as shins, elbow shins(not sure what they are really called), tops of my feet, behind the ears….. steroid creams helped for awhile too, but had to get stronger and stronger ones every year and still only reduced symptoms. The only relief I would get was after scratching off the top layer of skin. Really hurt for awhile and then when it healed I would have a little bit of a break before it all started again.
      Dropping the wheat and grains eliminated it in summer, but it would still come back at a reduced severity in the winter(cold, dry, Canadian prairie winter). Then dropping cheese eliminated it completely.
      Any time I slip up and consume wheat and/or cheese it comes right back.

8. Jene says:

For acne or blemishes… leaving them alone, warm compresses, and patience, I would think it might be helpful. Also, a good OTC treatment system can do wonders if you find the right one for your skin type. See some good reviews and comparisons on them @ http://dermahealthreview.com/blog

• Joey says:

I, too, have seen my acne disappear after going wheat-free.

I’ve suffered with painful, cystic acne since giving birth to my daughter, 13 years ago. It was mainly along my jawline, chin, and forehead, and it seemed to get worse during my cycle. Because of that, I assumed it was just due to hormones and it was something I was going to have to live with.

Well, two years ago after quitting smoking, my acne got even worse. And when I say worse, I mean huge, painful cysts and even some boils. Dr. Davis, maybe you can explain the correlation between quitting smoking and acne. My doctor couldn’t. He simply attributed it to the fact that my hormones were suppressed by smoking, and when I quit, they ramped up and gave me this horrible cystic acne.

I became depressed and borderline crazy, completely obsessed with the breakouts. Not only that, but I was experiencing anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, stomach issues, achy joints, migraines, mood swings, inability to concentrate or sleep…you name it, I was dealing with it. Here I was supposed to be regaining my health by quitting smoking, and I felt worse than I had in my entire life.

Then I read your book and began to take my life back.

Going wheat-free has not only taken care of my acne (and I mean gone), but I have also stopped in experiencing all of the aforementioned maladies. And I mean stopped. I’ve also lost the 12 pounds I put on after quitting smoking. Pounds I couldn’t lose no matter how much I exercised. My skin looks amazing, and that ‘puffiness’ I used to have in my face is gone. I can concentrate, and my memory seems sharper. I’m in a great mood 95% of the time, even during that ‘not-so-nice’ time of the month. I don’t have headaches or heart palpitations. I have energy. I can sleep. And my family actually likes me again.

I’ve been told that I’m an attractive and nice woman, but I definitely haven’t felt like it the past couple of years…until I quit wheat. Thank you, Dr. Davis, for giving me my beauty, disposition–and more importantly, my life and health–back. My husband thanks you, too.

9. Charla Eastwood says:

Me, too!!!!

I’ve been battling very bad acne for 25 years! Nearly completely gone! And my skin is so much softer and more supple. Oh, I’ve been using organic coconut oil on my face and neck, also, and I think it has really helped in addition.

So many testimonies people have posted have me saying, “Me, too!!!” It’s amazing the many things that have changed in my health since going wheat free. It’s been a little more than 3 months for me, and I just keep improving in so many areas. No turning back!!!

25 years?!

You can see that, while not everybody responds to wheat (and sometimes dairy, i.e., all insulinotrophic foods), plenty do.

And there are no expensive salves, creams, masques, prescriptions, and no liver toxicity or teratogenesis (provocation of fetal malformations)!

10. JIllOz says:

Quick note, Dr Davis – just saw the Dr Oz show where you appeared. Well done!!
    And kudos to Dr Oz for trying this out and giving you airtime to discuss this!!

BNy the ay, I told an aunt about this. As someone whjo searvhes for the healthiest things to nourish herself and her sons she was receptive. She did however say the trope “But humans have been eating wheat for centuries”.
    I replied” We’ve had slavery for centuries too and that wasn’t so great either! ” ;)

Anyway i gave her all the links and one son who is a medical student , will also read the book plus some links I will send him. Very heartening.

Thought about talking to medical students????? :)

Your aunt’s comment about “eating wheat for centuries” is something I’ll be talking about at length in coming posts. I will discuss how the health of Homo sapiens deteriorated with introduction of grains, especially einkorn and emmer wheat (then made much worse, of course, by the manipulations of agribusiness).

I do provide educational talks. Among the 3 talks I am giving this coming week, I will be talking to cardiovascular fellows, i.e., postgrads learning cardiology after their internal medicine training.

But the fastest and most widespread impact continues to come from efforts like this blog and nice people like you talking to their family and friends!

• JIllOz says:

Fantastic and thank you!!
        I pointed out to my very nice medical student cousin that if he read your book and Gary Taubes and one or two other people he would be ion the cutting edge of science and knowledge!!
        I also pointed out to him that though he studies medicine (just started) he should regard himself as a doctor yes but mainly a healer – thus enabling him to keep his mind open for new information and insights rather than locking him in to the designation “doctor” where only pharmaceuticals rule.

Having said that one other cousin is a general practicioner/holistic practitoner and a GP I met once also does acupuncture. I think it’s not uncommon for doctors to explore and apply other modalities and good for them!

Of course if your’e a lousy practitioner it doesn’t matter what discipline you follow…

• JIllOz says:

Quick note – I would like to note that I do greatly appreciate the medication I do have that can stop asthma attacks. Point is that I take whe I need it rather than having to use it all the time regardless of my condition.
          It also works more effectively when not suffocated by wheat in my body. Really amazing.

11. janet says:

Dr.Davis:

I don’t know if this has already been posted, and sorry if it has, but this link is an alarming article about a new GM wheat being trialled in Australia that (see quote below)

“In a new report on GM wheat, New Zealand genetics Professor Jack Heinemann, of the University of Canterbury, said the CSIRO’s technology as used in the wheat suppressed an enzyme which was similar to the human enzyme that produces glycogen. Humans eating the wheat could experience a decline of glycogen production in their bodies, leading to liver failure.”

My cousin is very interested in Wheat Belly and ready to change his health. Wheat Belly and related Paleo books are constantly circulating at my library. It is growing. Working at the library, I talk to people every day and steer them our way when the subject comes or up they check out a related book. Helping other people helps me stay strong.

12. Martin says:

Wheat free and alcohol free diet completely cleared my nail and scalp psoriasis I had for 30 years. Miracle happens. Most mainstram healthcare practicioners have no clue.

Great, Martin!

Yes, sad but true: I hope that, as more and more people report their incredible successes with wheat-elimination, my colleagues are beginning to notice.

13. Pingback: Merry Christmas and some new things in 2013 | Midwest PRS: Hand & Plastic Surgery

14. Pam says:

I went wheat and grain free for 6 weeks not that long ago, as I too suffer from hormonal acne. Unfortunately, going wheat and grain free made no difference with my skin whatsoever. I’m convinced that eating as little grain and wheat as possible is ideal, and limit my wheat/grain intake to this day, but am not convinced that wheat is the solution to getting rid of acne. My acne started when I was in art school, around lots and lots of chemicals (inhaled, on skin, etc) and has lessened over time but hasn’t gone away with several cleanses and food eliminations. I am now on a TCM herbal formula, and a more restricted diet – and am seeing positive results. All that said, wheat upsets my stomach and when I do splurge and eat it I know I’m going to pay the price for it like so many others!

15. Pingback: Starting the year off with great skin, step #1: going gluten free | Midwest PRS: Hand & Plastic Surgery

16. Pingback: Is there a way to clear my blotchy skin?

17. Ana says:

Hello, Im 32 year old female and have had mild acne for 10 years. Its been a week since ive gone wheat free and im breaking out more than before! I have moderate Acne now! Im eating chicken,nuts, string cheese,eggs,greek yogurt,veggies,apples,decaf coffee with sugarfree coffemate hazelnut…..i dont know whats causing my skin to break out o badly!!! Help! Im ready to go back to eating wheat b/c my skin wasnt this bad(mild acne before)

18. Rajana Ron says:

Acne is a common cosmetic condition where the skin develops areas with red color, blackheads, pimples and zits.I am affected acne. I am try to solve my acne problem in your post. Your post very helpful for me. Thanks

19. Jessica says:

Does it make sense that my acne would get worse before getting better? When I stopped all wheat a week ago 2 days later I have the worst zits. Maybe a detox? I already don’t eat dairy.

• bh says:

I had the same thing happen to me. Short-lived. After a lifetime of battling acne, with the exception of the detox breakout, I have had no acne for more than a year. :-)

20. I just stumbled upon this incredible article. I found it very interesting that Wheat can trigger acne. I always thought wheat is a low glycemic index food that cannot spike blood sugar. This is a very interesting article indeed.

> I just stumbled upon this incredible article.

Read the WB book for the full story.

> I found it very interesting that Wheat can trigger acne.

A high glycemic diet (possibly with some dairy participation) is the root of acne. Super-villain of the carb? Wheat, plus it brings additional toxins to the table.

> I always thought wheat is a low glycemic index food that cannot spike blood sugar.

Then you clearly have not read the WB book. What wheat (whole grain or refined) does, measurably, to blood sugar is a constant theme, with numbers.

> This is a very interesting article indeed.

And, alas, it means that there really is no need for the acne products advertised on your site.

Acne is just a predictable metabolic reaction to excess carbs in the diet, aggravated by strong dietary toxins like wheat. We might call it dermal diabetes, and like Type II diabetes, it’s a totally optional ailment.