The Acne Miracle

The gastrointestinal tract (GI) is the front line, the primary battleground in the invasion of this foreign and poisonous grain, modern wheat, against our bodies. The 10-20 milligrams of wheat germ aggutinin, ingested every day by wheat-consuming individuals, for instance, damages the lining of the small intestine, while the gliadin protein (the very same gliadin that acts as an opiate and stimulates appetite, along with other mind effects) “unlocks” normal intestinal barriers to foreign substances. This last phenomenon, unique to wheat gliadin, is an important explanation for why wheat-consuming people develop autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and systemic lupus.

What happens in the GI tract is often mirrored on the skin. The destruction of the delicate bowel lining, acid reflux, bowel urgency, pancreatic damage, disruption of bowel flora, and other GI-damaging effects can be mirrored by skin dermatitis, seborrhea (most typically along the sides of the nose), psoriasis, dandruff, dryness, itching, as well as a long list of more serious conditions, even gangrene.

Acne is among the commonest expressions of the health disruption of wheat expressed on the skin, something experienced by 90% of adolescents, with continuing struggles for many adults. Here is Kelly’s story of finally being freed from the constant annoyance of acne with her wheat-free experience:

I have been a victim of acne for the past five years and have tried the elimination process food-wise to see what the problem is. Most people around me would say my skin problem was hormone-related but, truthfully, it did not make sense to me as a female to be in a constant ”hormonal imbalance” stage for five consecutive years. I did not want to opt for invasive skin treatments involving heavy medication to ”rid” the acne as that did not solve the problem really. It just did the esthetics.

I instead started the elimination process: eliminated all dairy for a period of time, then all caffeine and alcohol, then I got into blood types and eliminated some types of meat accordng to my blood type. Nothing seemed to work and wheat was not even a candidate on my elimination list, since I held zero knowledge on that front. I then got pregnant and more elimination took place (raw fish, unpasteurised products, etc.) and that’s when I fell on the Wheat Belly book (Thank the Lord!), not for losing weight in my case, but the chapter, ”Yo, pimple face!” caught my eye. To think that wheat could possibly play a role was inconceivable, but I was so keen on eliminating whatever was necessary to find the solution I went ahead and tried it.

Miracle is what happened. Literally.

Within a week, my acne on my forehead became ”inactive” and flattened out. My face was not acne-active all of a sudden. Every week, I had gotten used to a nice new acne pimple growing on my face–-and it suddenly stopped–so suddenly, I could not believe it.

It has been several months now that I am wheat-free and twice I consumed wheat, only to pay the price each time. After my wheat consumption, I had a new acne type pimple grow on my face: literally and unbelievably the day after! Could I be a better guinea pig than this? Putting myself to the test was the best thing ever. I am conscious that, being pregnant, there are real hormonal changes, and sometimes acne problems get worse or better, depending on the person. So I am curious to see once I deliver my baby, how my face will change. I have gotten the best compliments I have received in many years on the quality of my skin.

Health is certainly more than skin-deep. Eliminating wheat helped Kelly erase effects on her skin evidenced by acne, but it also exerts dramatic effects on gastrointestinal health–even if she does not perceive it! Losing the gliadin protein, for instance, means her bowels are going to regain normal bowel flora, resume normal bowel permeability and thereby reduce body-wide inflammation.

So Kelly has more to celebrate than “just” losing her acne: She has now been given back control over multiple facets of health!

This entry was posted in Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to The Acne Miracle

1. adrina says:

Hy. The first step to curing acne is knowing what type of acne you have. Once you know your acne trigger, you are one step closer to removing the acne activator and living acne free.
    There are numerous types of acne, which could explain why it is so cumbersome if not seemingly impossible for the acne sufferer to find a cure. As with other types of acne including teenage acne, the exact causes of adult acne remain unknown, but are thought to relate to changes or imbalances in our body’s hormones. It is suspected that these hormonal changes at various times in our lives lead to increases in the amount of oil in our skin which in turn leads to clogged pores or hair follicles in the skin

2. John says:

An excellent post, and most informative. I’m doing some online research about acne (my daughter has it) and I’m thoroughly convinced that there is a strong connection between acne and diet.
    But I never considered wheat.
    I’ll point her in the direction of this blog. The rest is up to her.
    Many thanks,
    John

3. Todd Levence says:

This is a great idea to get rid of acne naturally. Starting to change your diet and your life style will help people prevent acne from their lives. Thank you for your sharing.

4. Victoria Ballard says:

Eating no wheat has bought total relief to my skin and the moment I do eat a little my facial skin is ‘on fire’ the next day – spots, sore to touch, puffy, bright red. Mine too was a process of elimination – I initially tried dairy but to no avail. Then I came down with a nasty stomach bug last year I was absolutely bed ridden for for days and couldn’t eat a thing. The only blessing was that when I looked in the mirror my skin was amazing – so I knew I was definitely reacting to something I ate. My next option was to try no wheat and the results were pretty obvious from the moment I started. It’s not been too difficult to go without as I was feeling pretty low about the skin on my face. I also don’t feel blotted or windy. And reading this article and learning of the damage wheat could be doing to my insides makes it that much easier. Thank you for writing it.

5. Raymond says:

It is quite good thing to know if your acne skin is not hormone-related. Thus, you might cure it by some natural techniques including changing your diet and life style. Thank you for your sharing.

6. Robb says:

I tried eliminating gluten and dairy from my diet and nothing! Been eating kots of fruit and my acne has gotten worse! Seriously down with it!

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Fruit has high fructose levels. Eliminating the wheat and dairy is good. Now, what else are you eating that is causing your acne flareup? If it is other high glycemic foods, then your diet is mainly sugars/starches and you shouldn’t be surprised about your acne. If your diet is mainly veggies with no sweet sauces and perhaps sauteed in olive oil and meats, chicken or fish, then you should try to find out exactly what foods you are eating that is causing your problem. Eliminate 1 food group every few days or perhaps a week and see if your acne changes.

• Robb says:

Yea i suppose i should of realised and cut back on the fruit! Trying a plain diet now, long grain rice, chicken, fish, vegetables! Nothing sweet or with a high GI! Thanks for the reply

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Robb,

Rice is high carb! 1/4 cup MAXIMUM is suggested. The idea is to keep your carb intake to about 15 grams per meal per 6 hour period. Total daily intake is about 50 carbs. Starches (like rice) are often involved in acne conditions even if they don’t taste sweet. Sugars too. Check your condiments!

Another suggestion is to start taking probiotics to help heal your intestines and provide the proper flora that wheat eating changed. Dr. Davis recommends 50 billion cfu. The probiotic should be purchased from a place that stores them refrigerated.

7. Kurt says:

I’ve been off of wheat for about a year now, with some minor slips along the way. I’m a sucker for onion soup, and got lazy a few times a couple of weeks ago. I used to have problems with cysts in my armpits and the inside of my thighs, along with rough dry skin on my elbows. Since I quit eating wheat, these problem have vanished! But after eating the bread in a few bowls of soup, I got multiple cysts in the old areas. They were smaller than the old ones, but still an indication of what a little bit of wheat does to my skin. Once I stayed wheat free, they cleared up and have not come back. It’s very predictable. My daughter does not believe me, so ate one piece of bread with stew, and told her I would get a cyst within two days. Sure enough, it happened!
    Another major benefit, toe fungus! I wore combat boots for 12 years in the military and had horribly disfigured and colored toe nails. I was so embarrassed, I used to wear socks at the beach! About a month ago, I went to trim my nails, and realized that the toe fungus was gone! All of it. My nails are now normally shaped and have a healthy color. I took no medication, no nail treatments at all. After 20 years, I’d given up, but now I’m sock free. I’ve also lost 40 pounds. This is the real deal solution folks. I’m so grateful.

8. Kimberley says:

Thanks for all the details. VITAMIN E PILLS we know Vitamin E oil is good for putting on top of your skin to clear it from scars, but if you have acne, putting oil on your skin is probably not the way to go. But Vitamin E is an anti-inflammatory, so taking it in pill form can work wonders for acne.

9. John Mayer says:

It is a good and natural. I have problems with acne for many years. How to get rid of your acne, would help me of those problems. Thanks for the detail.

10. Pingback: Help! I'm feeling worse. - Page 3 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 3

11. Amanda tarvin says:

I do believe wheat could be linked to acne and I am currently trying to eliminate it…. But in the article you stated that you got pregnant… Then eliminated wheat… And within a week your acne was gone… Well I had a similar experience when I got pregnant… My acne that I have had since I was 12 went away completely… I ate whatever I wanted while pregnant… My skin remained clear… Until I had my baby… Acne came back. I have been wheat free for about a week… My skin is actually worse… Could be the new make up, the fact that my period just came back… Oh hormones.

12. Laura Morgan says:

Thanks for writing the article.

I have been wheat free for 7 months after trying to find a cure to my sons colic. It did nothing for the colic but it did wonders for my skin.

My acne started when I was 18 . I was on Dianette for nearly 10 years which worked very well. However after I got married I came off Dianette as we wanted to start a family. 3 months after stopping the pill my skin was horrendous it was like 10 years worth of acne had stored up and came out in one go. My forehead was clear but my cheeks, jawline, neck, chest and back all broke out and was predominantly on the left side of my face.

After my daughter was born I gave up dairy as I was breast feeding and disovered she was lactose intolerant. This cleared up my pustular spots on my back, neck, chest & face but was still left with cystic spots – huge lumps on my face under my skin which never came to anything but would last for weeks or sometimes months.

I then fell pregnant again and gave up wheat in a bid to cure my sons colic. My skin is pretty much permanently clear now ( I still eat a lot of chocolate which is the cause of the minor spots I get now but am not willing to give it up!) I have tried the odd bit of bread or cake to test if wheat is definitely the cause and sure enough within 12 hours of eating wheat I have a massive spot.

I had no idea about the connection between wheat and acne until I came across this blog. I even had a consultation with a dietician specialising in acne who didn’t mention wheat as a candidate for acne. (£120 badly spent!)

I would say you have to give it 3 months of being wheat free to get true results as with anything skin related. If its not any better after 3 months try something else. Although you will see results after just one week.

Thanks again for the blog.

13. Breanne says:

I used to struggle with acne on my face and back until I changed my diet. In high school I took birth control and it helped my skin ALOT, but I wasn’t comfortable with the known side effects of bc and stopped taking it. When my acne came back and started scaring my face I felt hopeless until I read a few articles like this one convinced me to try changing my diet. I cut out dairy, sugar, grains, and caffeine and started drinking plenty of water. I stopped wearing my foundation (which was hypo allergenic) and if I did need to wear it i made sure to wash it off as soon as possible. I stopped using certain leave hair products.. i wash my face twice a day with cetaphil for oilyprone skin and at night i use cethaphil oil control moisturizer.. i change my pillow case every few days.. this may seem like a lot but its what i have to do for my sensitive skin to look healthy and blemish free.

14. Breanne says:

Also I wanted to mention that now my diet consists of a lot of veggies, fruit, nuts, chicken, and meats.. Ok sweeten foods with xylatol and stevia and use coconut, avocado, olive, and grapeseed oil…

> … and grapeseed oil…

You might want to reconsider that. That’s an adverse PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acid), extremely high in Linoleic Omega 6, no Omega 3, and nothing else to offset the hazards. In particular, none of the anti-oxidants from the seeds survive the trip. The inflammatory properties of that oil are a known cardio risk, and could easily be a dermatology risk.

Put it in the bin with the other seed oils for next week’s trash pickup (or use it for biodiesel in your VW TDI).