Mini Pizzas from the new Wheat Belly Cookbook

Be wheat-free . . . and eat plenty of pizza!

The New Wheat Belly Cookbook will be released December 24th, 2012. (I’m told that bookstores like Barnes and Noble often put their books out several days early, after they receive the shipment.) The new Cookbook covers a broad range of needs in the wheat-free lifestyle, including recreating healthy versions of popular indulgence foods like pizza.

Conventionally-made pizza, because it contains wheat flour in the crust, causes weight gain, grows belly fat, triggers high blood sugar, high blood pressure, increases triglycerides, reduces HDL, increases small LDL particles, and leads to heart disease, cataracts, arthritis, dementia, and cancer. (Yeah: that’s all!) When recreated without wheat, you can eat lots of pizza and experience none of those things. You can have pizza for dinner, with friends, or for breakfast and snacks, once a day or three times a day–without worries over weight gain or health effects.

Get the recipe for the Mini Pizzas here.

This entry was posted in Recipes, Wheat Belly Cookbook. Bookmark the permalink.

102 Responses to Mini Pizzas from the new Wheat Belly Cookbook

1. Beth says:

Have mine pre-ordered. This pizza looks great :)

2. Karnac says:

Amazon delivered my copy yesterday Doc….Looks delicious…….Had the flaxseed wrap tonight….Wow…3 minutes on high……

3. Ev Barney says:

MUST. HAVE. BOOK!!!

Going to order right away. One Question Dr. D – your recipes tend to call for golden flax. I have a couple pounds of the dark ones in my freezer and grind them as needed. Is there really a big difference?

• shelly says:

Big difference! The golden works better in cooking. I was using the regular flaxseed and it adds a funky smell to the things i bake. I now only buy the golden flaxseed.

In taste, Ev. Don’t let the brown flaxseed go to waste. But when you are going to use flaxseed as a replacement flour in, say, carrot muffins, you will find the ground golden flaxseed more tasty and aesthetically pleasing.

4. Cindy G says:

Dr. Davis – Thank you and a thank you to Dr. Oz. I am very fortunate to have watched the Dr. Oz show earlier this month. I ordered your book from Amazon and began a ‘new life’ the next day. My husband and I are significantly overweight. We are enjoying our new wheat free journey and we are amazed, happy and relieved that we experience no cravings, no distracting appetite pangs. Hubby’s belly reduction is so noticeable he is already enjoying unsolicited compliments. Many years ago when I was much younger and a good deal thinner I visited a respected physician concerning my IB. He actually conducted a pregnancy test (although I assured him that I was NOT pregnant then or ever) since my abdomen was so hard. My abdomen is gradually shrinking and is beginning to feel no so rock solid. Thank you so very much. I look forward to your new cookbook and appreciate all the postings – it’s an exciting time to learn and change.

That’s great, Cindy. You can see why I call it a “wheat belly”!

You and your husband have been done a grave disservice with this corrupt message to eat more “healthy whole grains.” You are, in effect, taking back control over your weight and health by rejecting it.

In the meantime, start shopping for size 6 dresses to prepare for your new wheat-free life!

5. Carol says:

I am trying to find a bread recipe that I might like

6. Patti says:

I have been wheat free for a month. In an earlier post to one of Dr. Davis’ entries I included some of my symptoms which have subsided; however, what is really astonishing is my clarity of thoughts. I do not have brain fog any longer. I will never eat wheat again. And, I have finally begun to lose weight. YEAH!!!!!!!!

7. JIllOz says:

Dr Davis, in the meantime, i just found a pizza place near me that uses rice flour in pizzas for people who don’t want wheat.
    is that a good interim option for my parents one of whom is diabetic?? they are both eating less wheat but will not give it up completely, so i am now just hoping to introduce good alternatives as they come up.

• J. Minten says:

Anything made with rice is going to be super high carb and cause the blood sugar spikes, so this is not a good option for diabetics!

Yup: Rice flour causes sky-high blood sugars.

Run away, Jill!

• Ev Barney says:

So, then, why is rice – and not other grains – on the ‘limited’ list in the ‘quick and dirty2′ post? If I recall, it wasn’t on the 1st version at all. I’m sorry if I sound contentious, but sometimes i find this all hard to suss out.

• Anna says:

Some claim that rice is a less harmful grain, especially white rice. While it is still not great for your blood sugar, it doesn’t contain gluten or the harmful proteins in wheat. That is my take on it. Maybe Dr. Davis has another explanation.

• JJ says:

I believe Dr. Davis commented on a post a while back that it’s the starch version of the rice that is more harmful to blood sugars. Rice, the grain, is less harmful and MOST people (not all) should be able to handle a half cup. Again, some people might not be able to handle rice at all. It depends on your body and your goals.

• JIllOz says:

Putting on my sneakers!! :)

I did actually broach the subject of almond flour with the pizza place but it could take a while to implement.

Thanks for the rice flour feedback!1

8. Barbara says:

Annie, I agree, the bagel/squagels are delicious! I have toasted them and topped with almond or cashew butter. Seriously good.

Barbara

• Annie says:

I just have one batch in the oven right now. I made it plain, no spices added (but a pinch of salt). I think it’s gonna be good with some cream cheese and smoked salmon on it. I’ll try it with almond butter too, this should be delicious!

9. Michelle says:

Can someone recommend a substitute for the almond flour? I am allergic to nuts.

Thanks

• Ev Barney says:

Oh boy, allergic to nut and low carb sounds aobut as fun as vegan and low carb — sorry to hear it. I did read this on the web:

“Coconut is a member of the palm family, which is not related to nuts or peanuts. Coconuts are large seeds adapted for water-born dispersal and remain viable after having floated in the sea for six months or more.”

HOWEVER, coconut flour does not cook the same as almond, you use much less, so you’d want to find a recipe that was developed for coconut flour. You may also want to try this low carb crust:

• Patti says:

I used some of the WB almond flour recipes, and they were delicious. The only problem is I broke out in hives all over my body the last time I ate something with almond flour. Before going GF I ate some nuts some of the time, but the concentration of flour must of initiated an allergic response in my body. I am okay with it. I used a coconut flour recipe and it was good too. I love being GF, I feel so alive with my renewed energy.

You might consider using alternative “flours, Patti.

Consider ground walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia, and ground golden flaxseed. Some adjustment in recipes may be necessary, but you will be able to recreate virtually all of the recipes with these substitutions.

10. Amanda says:

Do you know if these pizza crusts freeze well? I am thinking about making a few batches to freeze and pull out periodically throughout the week to put the pizza sauce a toppings on for a quick treat. Thank you!

• Ev Barney says:

I’ve been thinking aobut that myself. I may try stacking them with a sheet of wax paper between each to freeze. They may be a bit fragile so I’d put them someplace they can stay steady.

That brings up one more thought, there is a GFLC blogger online (whose name escapes me at the moment – Marie something?) who seems to use psyllium husk powder where many use flax meal. Of course, flax is more nutritious but i wonder if . psyllium adds a better texture, in what way, and under what circumstances? I may need to experiment.

alert: psyllium husk is the active laxative ingredient in many fiber supplements, so don’t be surprised if your outcome becomes more vigorous. Of course, flax meal may have a flaxative effect too :)

• Ev Barney says:

Haha Boundless, yes, I’m aware. Flax seed is no problem for me and i’m adjusting well to psyllium, I’m more concerned aobut the outcome BEFORE I eat it! ;)

• Darlene says:

That is Maria Emmerlich, whose blog is wonderful! I’ve made the bread you’re thinking of, it’s very good. Nice for sub-type sandwich. Dr Davis has also recommended her wrap recipe.

• Janet says:

I just tried the bread/sub sandwich recipe of Maria’s. It has great promise and was the best bread substitute in taste and texture I have tried. Tasted like French bread, with the crusty top and soft inside. I have to work on the recipe though as I didn’t have the psyllium husk powder (a must) and ended up opening capsules of the stuff sold for laxative (just the husk–no other additives). Kind of a pain, but so wanted to taste this Monday. I believe it is the psyllium that make the difference here. This recipe would make great crumbs too. Will let you all know how my next batches are. With my Kerrygold butter on it, was delish. Will try Dr. Davis’s pizza crust too.

11. Pat says:

The book is on order, plus extras for gifts.

12. WereBear says:

Pre-ordered for my Kindle. Looking forward to it this winter!

13. Marjorie says:

Waiting anxiously for the recipe book on pre order.
    Dr. Davis, a question, in your recipes calling for ground almonds, it almond flour the same?

Almond flour is just a finer grind ground from blanched almonds. Some processors also press out some of the oils, too.

14. Melissa says:

I have been craving pizza, so I’ll give this a try.

I know we can’t put a price on good health, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a source where I can get things like almond meal and garbanzo bean flour inexpensively. I’m facing a huge pay cut soon, and I’ve priced these items only to find that they are very expensive. I’ve only looked at Sprouts and my regular grocery store (which doesn’t carry them, by the way). The golden flaxseed isn’t as bad. Thanks.

• JoAnne says:

Online sources include: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com, http://www.nuts.com and http://www.nutsonline.com. You can also try Wegman’s Grocery store and Trader Joe’s. A 16-oz bag of Trader Joe’s almond meal is $3.99

• Kathy says:

I don’t know how prices compare to brick & mortar stores, but I buy most of my more “unusual” baking supplies at Amazon. Watch shipping charges – I’m a Prime member and so don’t pay shipping on many items. As for almond flour, JK Gourmet brand is excellent! Finely ground, consistent texture.

• Ann says:

Melissa,

You can make the almond flour and garbanzo flour easily. If you have a bullet or a blender, put the nuts in and zap them for a couple minutes. It has worked great for me. I haven’t bought any of the flours premade. You can find large bags of almonds at Sams Club for pretty cheap too.

• Darlene says:

Check out Honeyville Grain website. The almond flour is much less than in a grocery store, and they ship any size order for $4.49

• LorLor says:

Also try Amazon.com, they have nut flours from a variety of vendors in different size bags so you can comparison shop.

15. kat says:

My pre-ordered cookbook arrived today! And one for a gift. =) Can’t wait to try it out.

16. Jenny says:

I’m surprised by the yeast. I thought yeast worked with gluten to allow the dough to rise. How does the yeast work with almond and chickpea flour?

It’s there more to recreate the taste/smell that people associate with conventional bread, rather than the yeast-generated rise.

It is entirely optional!

17. Cammie says:

Just noticing that this pizza recipe has a much greater amount of garbanzo flour than the previous one. Doesn’t that increase the carbohydrate count? And also it has yeast – thought that was not the best for digestion. On the other hand I’ll bet the crust is a little lighter than the previous recipe posted on 1.16.12. Though that one is quite good, actually making it for dinner right now!

• Ev Barney says:

Now that you mention it, this would be a bit on the high side for carbs, and that’s before you top it. Still looks really yummy though ;)

The relative quantity of each “flour” is easily adjustable to reduce carb content. Just reduce the garbanzo and increase the almond, for instance.

The yeast is very optional. I included it in a couple of recipes just to show how it can be done for anyone interested. Personally, I like to minimize exposure.

18. Cammie says:

Thanks for the response, Dr. Davis. I’ll try the new recipe and compare the taste and texture.

19. Anne says:

We were delighted to find the cookbook at a local bookstore one week ago (earlier release in Canada?). So far, I’ve made the cheesecake for my daughter’s birthday (delicious!!), the broccoli soup (also fabulous – I used frozen organic broccoli), and the ginger cookies (these are divine! – unfortunately, I didn’t have sugar-free maple syrup, so did use regular – I am definitely limiting my quantity – they also freeze really well.
    I am now going to go through the book and make my Christmas shopping list.

Thanks!

20. Ev Barney says:

Yes, thanks for the reply. I’ll have to see aobut the yeast, it does have a particular flavor – or seems to in breads (I used to bake wheat-based bread regularly – not anymore!) so if it’s not a problem – I’d like to add a bit.

CAMMIE – I hope you’ll report back on your results.