Dr. Oz Show: Are You Addicted to Wheat?

The Dr. Oz Show segment about Wheat Belly to discuss the destructive health effects of modern wheat airs Monday, December 3rd, 2012!

The full preview is viewable here on the Dr. Oz Show website.

On the show, I got a chance to discuss several of the important reasons why wheat is perfectly crafted to cause weight gain and destroy health, and why complete elimination is the most powerful weight loss and health-regaining strategy I have ever seen.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly presentations and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

157 Responses to Dr. Oz Show: Are You Addicted to Wheat?

1. Jen says:

Hey Dr. Davis!!! :)

I was thoroughly impressed by what I saw on Dr. Oz today. I’m really glad you were on a highly watched show to get the word out.

I do have a question though. 3 out of the 5 women had blood sugar spike more than 2 times higher when consuming the whole wheat bread over the chocolate bar. Nothing was said about those other 2 women. Were their blood sugar levels higher when eating the chocolate bar vs, the whole wheat bread?? I would like to know the results of that, if I may, please. :)

Thank you muchly!!!!! :)

I believe that, in those two women, there was no difference. In other words, both the bread and candy bar raised blood sugar equally.

Don’t fall into the trap that tricks most nutritionists: If something bad is replaced with something less bad and there is an apparent health benefit, then eat a bunch of the less bad thing. Let’s use cigarettes instead: Replace something bad–unfiltered cigarettes–with something less bad–filtered cigarettes–and health improves, then the conclusion applying the logic of nutrition: You should smoke Salems.

• John I says:

I watched the show and I have it was great to see and to watch the interaction between you and Dr. Oz. Especially when he stated about the findings of the blood sugar testing. Kudos for him to address it and for the responses of the testing . Your words yesterday reignited my drive.

Thank you again Dr Davis!!!

John

• JC Kennedy says:

There was point missed reguarding those two women and that was with the frequency of eating wheat and candy bars. They would not eat candy bars for breakfast, lunch and supper, but would probally eat wheat and therefore their rate of eating ( along with elevated blood sugars bouts) would be much higher.

2. Tanya says:

Yes, please post a link when it’s available!

3. Patti says:

I saw the show. I really liked the evidence based experiment with the blood values. I think this was the most powerful correlation connecting body damage with wheat. Congratulations Dr. Davis.

Since discovering this website I have been wheat free for three weeks, but not sugar free. I made one dessert with stevia and it was not tasty to me, and it did not feel good in my body. Being wheat free has not changed my weight but my symptoms have subsided. Some of my symptoms were exhaustion, achy body feelings, bloated, uncontrollable cravings, and this weird breathing issue. Regarding my exhaustion, I could only walk my dog for 10-15 mins before becoming so tired I had to stop. After two weeks without wheat I am walking about 1 hour to 45 mins/day, and on Saturday or Sunday I will do an hour 1/2 to two hours. It was that quick of a turn around with my energy after years of being too tired to exercise. Also, I had this strange breathing problem in which I would fall asleep and I would feel a quick rush of air being quickly pushed out of me like a balloon being released. I spoke to a health professional and they thought it was some type of allergic reaction, as if my lungs were trying to expel something. It is now gone.

I think my weight will come off if I give up sugar, but I can’t seem to stop. I am definitely taking in less than I was before giving up wheat. Maybe after being wheat free for a longer period of time my sugar consumption will also lessen.

You might also experiment with your sweeteners, Patti, at least during this transition period off sugar and dealing with receding cravings minus wheat.

We use erythritol, xylitol, Truvia, as well as stevia, alone or in combinations. Given a choice of sugar versus one of these more benign sweeteners, I’d go with the latter.

• Patti says:

Hi Dr. Davis – thank you for the reply. Good suggestion. I will branch out and try these other sweeteners (erythritol, xylitol, and Truvia).

• Savannah says:

Patti, I had really good success with xylitol. It doesn’t have the aftertaste that’s common with stevia, and it works great in cooking and baking as a one-for-one sugar replacement. I bake with almond flour and xylitol, and none of my friends can tell the difference.

• Marian says:

Thank you for this info. I don’t like stevia either. I will try and find xylitol. I have never seen even in my health food store. I need to cut more sugar. Therein lies my cravings!

4. Cathy says:

So I guess dr oz will be inviting Gary taubes back to apologize to him?

• Tanya says:

That would be the day!! I didn’t like the way he treated Dr Taubes either. You could tell he was getting madder & madder, while Dr. T just stayed calm and relaxed (who looks more confident in their message huh?)

• Michael Kovacs says:

Umm, AFAIK Gary Taubes is not a Doctor, he is a science research journalist. But it does have a nice ring to it.

• Tanya says:

On second thought I think you’re right.

He certainly is slimmer than alot of doctors I’ve met though!

It would, however, be very, very interesting if he went on the rampage and helped champion this cause!

> I think Dr. Oz is gradually reforming his thinking, but will do so as he gets a chance to consider these rather unconventional interpretations.

He’s probably becoming aware of the wider implications, as we’ve seen with many readers here:
        1. OK, I get it about the wheat.
        2. And the fructose is interesting, even if sugar generally isn’t a big surprise.
        3. Fats are actually good for us? Wow.
        5. Wait a minute, this diet ends up being low carb.
        6. Hello, it’s not just low carb, it’s at least on the edge of being ketogenic.

For Dr. Oz, that means almost EVERTHING he’s been taught, prescribed for his patients, and shared with his audience regarding diet is MASSIVELY INCORRECT, virtually upside down. That’s a lot to swallow at once, so to speak.

It’s worth mentioning that Dr. Oz has the further challenge that his show is supported by advertising for poisonous foods and unnecessary drugs (and an ad for one of which runs during the web snippet).

What Dr. Davis is doing is going to dramatically reduce the demand for cardiac physicians, and he’s apparently comfortable with that. Is Dr. Oz prepared to either radically alter what TV Docs do, or reduce the demand for same?

Yes, so all the more credit to him, eh?

If the nation went wheat-free tomorrow, we would need about 50% fewer physicians–overnight!

Well, I was there at one time, too.

It is truly unsettling to realize that the world has fooled you. What we are taught in medical school and training is the kindergarten version of nutrition and health, a system built by Big Pharma and Big Food, not a system built to cultivate health.

So it is truly unnerving to realize how far wrong you go before you can finally get it right.

• betsey says:

I think your candor on how much training doctors get in nutrition is gracious and very important to realize.Vets get at best 6 hours of lecture time on the subject,unless they go into nutrition as their specialty.I can’t see how anyone can deny Dr. D’s argument….Look at the inreased incidence of obesity and more tragic, diabetes. in household pets!!!!!Now go read the label of any dry pet food in the grocery store.Humans have K9 teeth for a reason……our total protein intake should be somewhere between that of a cat and a dog.27-32%.This is on a dry matter basis.I wonder if we balanced human rations with that criteria if we could help people maintain an optimum weight?

5. Bill says:

Great show! In fact, for Dr. Oz to take it so seriously was mind-boggling, given his usual predilictions. I think that he was freaked out by the results from the blood-sugar experiment on the 5 women. Well done, Dr. Davis! Very professional presentation and well-made points. You covered the important points, and kept emphasizing the downsides of just going ‘gluten-free’, a real education to the public.

6. Amanda says:

Congratulations Dr. Davis, the show was so good. I could not believe Dr. Oz facial expressions when talking to you.
    I liked the fact that he even recognized that he has been giving the wrong advice at recommending whole grains!
    I think that what makes the difference is a well writen book with all the research to back it up. And also the fact that you are a preventative cardiologist.
    Well done, we owe you so much!

7. Birgit says:

I can’t wait to see the show. This will do a lot to spread the message. I am so glad that Dr. Oz was listening, from here on out I think he will start making more and more connections. I hope that he will invite Gary Taubes back or maybe Peter Attia. Once the word is out more some more money will be donated to do real nutrition research that is not sponsored by the food industry or the big pharma. Awesome!
    Birgit

8. Barb says:

Great presentation on Dr Oz today! You were very articulate Dr. Davis! I was particularly happy you emphasized the fact that wheat is often hidden in foods. I love making homemade soups full of healthy veggies, particularly in the winter. In the past however, I used to feel very bloated and uncomfortable after eating them and didn’t know why. Since we’ve been on your wheat belly eating plan and I’ve learned to use organic, gluten free broths in my soup (no MSG, no yeast extract), I no longer have the bloating after eating it.

9. Heather Ann says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    Congrats on a great show! I’m so happy your message is getting out to even a larger audience.

I thought it was interesting that the segment following yours on the Dr. Oz show was about headaches and how to prevent them. In addition to the remedies offered, the obvious one is to give up wheat! My migraines have gone away since I’ve stopped eating wheat two and a half months ago.

I can’t wait to get my copy of your cookbook in late December (pre-ordered on Amazon). It’s a combined Christmas and Happy New Year gift to myself! I feel so much better these days and it’s all because of your incredible message. Thanks again for letting the world know about the ill effects of “Frankenwheat.”

• Phillis says:

Dr. Davis I thought that you were awesome in your interview yesterday with Dr. Oz. I normally do not watch him so had to DVR the episode. I was pleasantly surprised that Dr. Oz seemed to give you his complete attention and seemed to be open to what you were saying. You were definitely the Big Dog in the room!! hahahahaha! Heather Ann, I too saw the follow up episode about the migraines but did anyone notice the snarky remark the lady doc made after Dr. Davis’s segment was done? She said “that eliminating a whole food group would have no effect on headaches.” Hmmm? Wonder which one she was referring too? Wheat maybe? Sounds like she was doing a passive-aggressive disagreement with Dr. Davis by just taking a snide pot shot at him after his segment was done and the limelight was on her. When she said that I was totally turned off of her as a professional. Emotionalism is neither rationality nor reason and blatant emotionalism in a scientist (which a doctor actually is) is very unbecoming as well as unprofessional. Frankly, that is why we got the whole low-fat mantra. More emotional hype rather than actual scientific facts. She seemed to me to be making an arrogant emotional statement without attempting to back up her assertion with at least a fact or two. Most people probably missed it because it was just one statement but it was there and she seemed very pointed with it. Thankfully, Dr. Davis backed everything he said up with either facts or references to scientific studies and that is one of the reasons that I was willing to listen to the message of Wheat Belly in the first place.

• Heather Ann says:

Hi Phillis,
        I missed that comment by that doctor! I’ll go back and watch the headache segment again! Yes, I think Dr. Davis’ message is threatening to many health care professionals. I appreciate the ones who maintain an open mind. At least Dr. Oz was respectful of Dr. Davis and his perspective.

With regards to the headaches, the Dr. Oz show focused on what to do once a headache occurs and not how to prevent a headache in the first place. My migraines have disappeared since I gave up wheat two and a half months ago. I think that’s remarkable!

10. Jonathan says:

Is there a place to watch the full episode after it airs….its after it aired but full episodes aren’t on Dr. Oz….lame. Wanted to watch it but wasn’t home and don’t know which channel hes on anyway anymore.

11. Katherine says:

Wow, wow, wow! I just watched the show. Congrats, Dr. Davis. Insofar as the Dr Oz Show is part of the “pop culture”, this was a real turning point. And the really big moment was at the end, when Dr Oz said “I would do this; it’s not hard.” Think of all the people who were hearing this for the first time and whose lives will now be changed for the better! Again, congratulations!

12. Anthony says:

As I watched the replay last night someone mentioned it seemed Dr. Oz was not to happy with the results. My question is then why have you on the show? I explained that both of you are cardiologists and it must be tough for one doctor to realize that another dr is saying might actually be true, especially when Dr. Oz has been promoting the healthy whole grain for so long and it appears he may have been wrong. Tough words to swallow on a National Tv show.

When I mention your book to friends I explain the weight loss as a positive side-affect of removing wheat. This is why I believe so many people think this is just another diet fad much like many others we have seen over the last 50 years. I tell people “Do you want to feel better?”, be more active but less tired? than drop the wheat for 10 days and see what happens. Will you drop a few pounds maybe but at the very least you will feel better.

• wrotek says:

At least Dr had a courage to look truth in the face and took it pretty well :) I noticed the same thing U R talking about, on mine own.

13. Louise says:

Congrats Dr. Davis….I was so hapy to hear you were going to be on the Dr. Oz show! I try to talk to others about the Wheat Belly and I get these crazy looks like I don’t know what I am talking about. I am happy for this site because I can relate to others posting on your blog. The show was great!! Can’t wait for the cookbook to come out!! My Christmas gift to me!! Have a great day!

14. Anne says:

You rocked it, Dr. Davis :)

15. Jennifer says:

Dr. Davis what a great appearance on Dr. Oz & so VERY informative!!! I lost over 130 pounds after having my son in 2006 when I cut all things “white” (bread, pasta, rice) and made the decision to go all wheat. I have slowly been gaining it back and i now see i replaced the bad with the less bad. I am an addictions counselor and can often relate to the “cravings” they have as food ( certain foods such as wheat, sugar,salt ) trigger those same neural pathways & attach to the opioid receptors. I would never tell a patient great job not doing any heroin and encourage THC use to replace it. I am so enlightened right now, I can’t thank you enough. I have Crohns disease and recently was told to cut all gluten, although my blood panels do not indicate that I am gluten intolerant. I think I found my answer to my weight gain & the management protocol for my Crohns. Along with fish oil, vit d, and iodine & iron herbal supplements that I am taking, I believe I have found my missing piece. I am excited and have cleaned the cupboards out..donating to the food bank, stopping at the bookstore, and stocking my fridge with all things healthy!! :)

Thanks for all your research, and all your contributions in this area. I have been asking for an answer and believe you just gave me the opportunity of a lifetime! I will keep you posted on my success!

Sincerely,
    Jennifer

Fabulous, Jennifer!

And you can see that the solutions are truly so easy . . . and inexpensive and safe! No prescriptions, no extreme exercise, no cleansing enemas.

16. Kate says:

YES! “Frankenwheat” is evil. I went Paleo in March 2012, didn’t lose an ounce for about a month and a half (and went through a truly awful sugar/wheat withdrawal), and then dropped 15 pounds quickly, followed by a slow loss of another 17 pounds lasting until August 2012. I never want wheat, and I find it pretty easy to avoid it as long as I’m willing to cook. I find that I can “cheat” on my Paleo diet with corn and sometimes sugar (gotta be careful) but I never gain weight – because I’m not eating wheat. Now I know that the weight problems I had since I was a toddler were not due to lack of willpower – they were due to misinformation about the foods we buy in stores.

I also agree that Dr. Oz needs to bring Gary Taubes back. His book changed my whole outlook on food and nutrition, very much for the better. (And I have a PhD – so I’m not bamboozled easily by fads. He’s the real deal.) Dr. Oz – get out of the conventional track! Stop recommending whole grains!

17. JEY says:

The entire episode is now available on the Dr. Oz website.
    Part 1: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/are-you-addicted-wheat-pt-1

18. Tanya says:

I just watched it! You were awesome Dr. Davis! But I was under the impression that he gave you the whole hour! Half the show didn’t seem long enough! Wish he had given you more time… but the main gist of the message got out, that’s the main thing! Loved the experiment with the womens’ blood sugar, I think Oz was in shock!

Well, it’s a start!

Maybe there will be an encore performance. I’ll try to squeeze in lots more next time!

19. Dr. Davis Congrats!!! You finally made it on Dr. Oz!!! I was waiting for that to happen. Now soooo many more people will be helped! : )

Thanks, Diane!

I believe you are right. We start by talking about weight, but then educate people about all the OTHER wonderful health effects of giving up modern Frankenwheat!

20. Lyn says:

Hello Dr. Davis,
    I too enjoyed seeing you the Dr. Oz show. It was terrific to see another health professional running your blood test challenge and seeing the results. So very happy that others will see the results too.
    My question lies in the fact that when questioned on how Wheat affects the brain you made the statement that the “ONLY” affect wheat has is to stimulate increased appetite. I”m sorry to say I disagree on this point. My family all eat wheat free (and mostly “fad gluten free” too) and I can tell as soon as my daughter gets into Wheat. She gets “spacey”, can’t recall words, and gets very angry – so in my mind it affects mood and thought processes too. I realize there are a lot of bodily functions that Wheat can affect and this was too much to get into at that time – I just wish it had been mentioned. Maybe next time.

Perhaps I stated that imprecisely, Lyn, because I am the first in line to denounce the MULTITUDE of mind effects modern wheat has. This is, in fact, among the most damning of all wheat’s effects.