Dr. Oz Show: Are You Addicted to Wheat?

The Dr. Oz Show segment about Wheat Belly to discuss the destructive health effects of modern wheat airs Monday, December 3rd, 2012!

The full preview is viewable here on the Dr. Oz Show website.

On the show, I got a chance to discuss several of the important reasons why wheat is perfectly crafted to cause weight gain and destroy health, and why complete elimination is the most powerful weight loss and health-regaining strategy I have ever seen.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly presentations and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

157 Responses to Dr. Oz Show: Are You Addicted to Wheat?

1. Kelly says:

Way to go Dr. D, you are indeed a force to be reckoned with. BG has to be held accountable for poisoning us. The healthy wholegrain mantra will finally to exposed as the lie it truly is. God bless you in this crusade.

I have set my dvr to record the show.

Thank you for caring!

> I have set my dvr to record the show.

For those who live in dark territory, but have modest speed internet, complete episodes of the Dr.Oz segments are apparently available, free, but with commercials, on yidio.com

We just signed up (free), and will report when the complete interview is on the web, unless Dr.D alerts y’all first.

• Tanya says:

Thanks for that tip, I will check it out, Boundless!

I would love to watch this tomorrow but am working afternoon shift so I will miss it (I have no dvr) Dr. Oz is a highly-watched show… but I didn’t like the way he handled the show with Dr. Taubes, hopefully he handles himself better with Dr. Davis!

• Tanya says:

I just checked out that site but I can’t seem to find the episode… I wonder if it will be posted on Youtube after it airs?

Thanks, Kelly!

I will post the links to the video, should your DVR go on the blink!

2. Boundless says:

If this airing has the effect that it might, demand for almond flour is going to ramp up, probably long term.

We’ve elected to hedge that bet and take advantage of a sale on at honeyvillegrain.com.

Yes, what an appalling site name, and yes they also sell poisons, but the almond flour is high quality. Caution: the packing is truly bulk – you’ll need lots of zip bags or other airtight containers.

• Fred says:

If you need to start smaller nuts.com has a good selection of non-wheat (almond / coconut)… and great service!

• Becca says:

Thanks Boundless!!
      We were so bummed when Honeyville Almond Flour went up a whole $11 for the 5 lb bag on Amazon…after it had been out of stock for a while :( I think I might be getting that 125 lb box from Honeyville’s website. That should last for quite a while! :D

3. Lynda says:

I will have to wait to watch it on the Dr Oz webpage – we won’t get it in New Zealand for awhile. I do hope you made the point about NOT GLUTEN FREE… not just wheat free. I’m sure you did and I’m so excited this message is getting out there!

I believe I did, Lynda. It certainly bears repeating over and over again: NOBODY should be eating gluten-free foods made with cornstarch, tapioca starch, rice starch, or potato starch!

4. Anna says:

I hope the show’s editors and producers have not conspired with Dr. Oz to take you apart. Gary Taubes was not treated well on the show.

Don’t worry, Anna: I was in New York to film the segment about 2 weeks ago!

It was recorded. Judging by the previews, they are likely to maintain the spirit of the interview as it was originally recorded.

• Anna says:

I’ve seen it, great episode, am very reassured that Dr. Oz did not try to mow you down and is not somehow supported by food industry giants who dictate what he can say on his show. Most of all, it was really cool and kind of surreal to see you on the show. I loved the way you explained the concepts in a clear and articulate way so that everybody could understand it. Really captivating!

5. Amanda says:

Congratulations Dr. Davis! I really thought that Dr. Oz was never going to have you in the show. I was wrong, we can not hide this findings anymore. The greatest threat to humanity is wheat, and requires a genius like you to educate the world.
    I thank you again and again for enlightening us.

Thanks, Amanda!

I’ve got to give him and his staff credit, given the “healthy whole grain” message that has been part of their dietary message. They are at least willing to air competing viewpoints, even if they don’t embrace them themselves.

6. Lisa says:

I’m so happy to see that this information will be seen on the Dr. Oz show! Finally, people who watch shows like Dr. Oz and The Doctors will have access to this vital information to help them lose weight and alleviate a multitude of ailments. In the rare case that I am home at the time of the day that shows like this do air, I see so many bits and piece of information that will not help people lose weight or fight and even reverse diabetes. Maybe for once, I won’t get strange stares when I tell people I don’t eat wheat and no, I don’t have celiac disease. You’d think you were telling people you had a second head when you tell them you don’t eat wheat. Then, you get the same “you’re cholesterol will skyrocket” and “that’s not healthy” comments that really seem to be getting old. Thanks for making this information available to the masses.

Don’t fret, Lisa: All those people who give you weird looks will start asking how you knew such things so much earlier than they did!

7. Nicole says:

Very proud of you Doc.
    I’m so glad to be on on this side of the paradigm shift.

• Lori says:

Note that Ms. Tanya Zuckerbrot (author of the article) is also the author of the F-Factor diet, and sells a whole line of wheat-filled, er…”high fiber” products. She stands to lose a lot of $$ with the wheat-free revolution! No bias there…

As is often the case, Ms. Zuckerbrot is woefully out of touch.

Sadly, this is the status quo with these people.

8. Joni says:

Sometimes I think Dr. Oz features non-mainstream subjects like this just so he can counter them and make himself look like he knows better. Dr. Oz supports anything that will make him a buck, so what the final cut of the shows looks like will depend on what’s in his best interest – not ours. My DVR is set. Thanks for the heads up on Facebook the other day.

9. Anthony D says:

Can’t wait for this to be aired tomorrow

10. Cathy says:

I also am anxious to watch this. I’m hoping it will totally support Dr. D’s book . . .otherwise I will catch heck from my extended family who is not on board yet. They have all been advised to watch. I can’t get my 70 year old Mom to read the whole book, and she touts the “gluten free is for celiacs” ideology. Her comments often undermine what I’ve been advocating for my husband and kids . . . .frustrating. She quotes Doctor Oz a lot, so maybe this will help shift her thinking (if he becomes antiwheat). The four of us have been on the diet for several months – 11 year old has no trace of exercise induced asthma and went from an average runner to a first place runner on her soccer team. My youngest daughter no longer gets an itchy rash behind her legs. I no longer have what I thought was hypoglycemia, and have more confidence to tackle public speaking (no longer have uncontrolled anxiety and am calmer socially in general). Thanks Dr. Davis! A question for you on a different subject : what do you think of this rice and arsenic issue, given that those on gluten free are likely eating more rice. My kids eat rice chex sometime, as that is one of the only cereals that they can eat. Thanks again.

Well, Cathy: I wouldn’t eat the rice!

No sense is replacing one problem–wheat–with another problem–rice.

Rice is indeed less harmful than wheat, but it is not benign. I would regard it as, at most, an occasional indulgence, certainly NOT a staple.

• Cathy says:

Thank you Dr. Davis! Your appearance on Dr. Oz is likely going to help the wheat free movement explode in popularity! Thank you for all of the kindness and care that you put into the blog. I think that Mom will have to change her tune after watching the Dr. Oz episode (so glad that you mentioned it is for children too)! The information in the book has helped our family to become healthier and happier. :)

11. James says:

Foudn this image link on Mark Sisson’s blog (marksdailyapple.com) :

That made my day :D

12. Annie says:

My DVR is set on! Can’t wait to watch this show… I’m so glad Dr. Davis that your message will join a large group of people, not aware of this miraculous way of life!! even if there’s a portion of them who joins us, that’s gonna be a huge gain for Wheat Belly, because every new “follower” talk about it to family and friends, so it goes larger and larger! ;-)

Thanks, Annie!

Yes, I am deeply gratified at the number of incredible successes we are hearing about every hour, every day, every week. It is truly wonderful.

13. Lisa says:

Fantastic Dr Davis. I was very happy to see you on the Dr Oz show today.

14. betsey says:

hi dr davis saw your book endorsement on cbs morning news.they gave you a good deal of time then.bought your book at B&N after reading nearly half in the store!!!!I’m a dairy farmer so the grain train has been a big debate on our farm.We’re a dairy and nearly half our cost of production has been grain.My being a dairy cow nutritionist as well I realized that although grain increased production it could be detrimental to the health and longevity of the cows. Most farms average 20 plus # per head per day.We’re down to less than 13# per head per day production hasn’t dropped and the cows seem much happier……….Oh I quit eating wheat also…..last week in october…….didn’t need to lose weight, 5’6″ 110 lb. but I’ve lost that lack of a waist look obviously I had a bit of a gland in my gut.I sleep better at night and not during the day,I’m not nearly as hungry…….You”re my HERO.What I have suspected you have proven…….Now lets go after the grain lobbyists and give Dairy Products the credit they are due.SAVE A COW, DRINK MILK

Ha ha, Betsey!

Help me understand something: The small family dairy farmers and organic farmers here tell me that they stop milking their cows the last 2 months of pregnancy, allowing them to pasture and preserving the nutrients for the developing calf. Is that your experience, too?

• betsey says:

very important time in a cow’s gestation,the last 60 days the fetus grows at a tremendous rate and can compromise their intake of food. By “drying ” the cow off you give her udder a chance to rest and lessen the demand of energy to produce milk.Also infections in the udder can be addressed more agressively to insure her remaining in the herd’.Cows with high somatic cell counts in their milk can create all kinds of problems,not to mention the shortened shelf life of the milk .A cows intake can be reduced to half that of hers when in milk.They are fed a more nutrient dense ration to ensure they get the needed trace minerals ,vitamins and protein to ensure as uneventful parturition as possible.The quality of their colostrum is crucial to the calves survival.The calf will consume as much as 2 gallons in the first 6 hrs of life ….and this will ensure a healthy happy growthy baby.

Thanks for your recollections, Betsey!

This is consistent with what other organic and family dairy farmers tell me. Reassuring that real human farmers care about their animals.

• Melissa says:

Betsey, I want to buy from YOUR dairy! It sounds like you are on the right track!

• betsey says:

thank you MELISSA,!!! We are very proud of our operation,NYSCHAP Tier VI.disease free..no johnes,leuckosis,BVD 100% herd tested.and we are a closed herd for 17 yrs.Consumers shouldn’t be so concerned with antibiotics,or even growth hormones in milk.Milk is tested every time it is picked up at the farm.We own that milk until it passes the drug test so if they find anything in our milk we will buy the whole truckload for haveing contaminated it.Oh and we pay for the trucking as well.What concerns me most is the doctors who recomend soy based formula for new borns!!!!!!Jump in anytime Dr Davis…..Milk is critical to child nutrition,especially girls.actually throughout their lives.Many think it’s fattening but whole milk is probably the closest thing to a perfect food humans can consume,of course I’m talking about the product in our bulk tank.4.3 butterfat,3.1 protein and way better taste than what the consumer can buy in the store

15. Kim says:

Hi Dr. Davis, I wanted to let you know I normally don’t watch Dr. Oz’s show. Due to my day’s events somehow I feel like I was destined to discover who you are by accidently flipping on the channel in which today’s Dr. Oz episode was on, and I was so glad I did.
    After watching you I felt like a lighbulb when on in my head.
    Thank you and keep up the good fight!
    Sincerely, Kim

16. Jeanne says:

Congrats Dr. Davis!

The bit I was able to see today looked to be going very well. So glad to see it. Keep truckin’.

Wow, just dated myself majorly… Hehe

17. JEY says:

Terrific interview! Dr Oz was respectful and impressed by your book. The blood sugar tests were a good “visual” and they did a good job explaining the four main steps of the diet.
    Please post the link to the viseo when available, many more need to see it.

18. dano says:

Americans need to wake up the wheat and corn we eat is awful for us . GMO foods are killing us all .

19. Pat says:

I thought the interview went very well. My impression is that Dr Oz really listened to what you had to say. He certainly seemed to be enjoying the food samples. I just wish you could have had more time but I understand that in the world of TV it doesn’t always work that way. I really liked the blood sugar test results – the comparison of a piece of whole wheat bread versus a candy bar was spot on – no smoke and mirrors, just the facts.

Thanks, Pat!

Yes, more time would have been nice to more fully elaborate on this message. But I am nonetheless grateful for having the time allotted. I believe I squeezed in most essential introductory points. It is tough to tell such a horror story in just a few minutes!