Dietitians are sobbing in their Raisin Bran!

Wheat Belly is dominating the conversation, occupying 3 out of top 4 bestseller spots in health and nutrition. Why? Is it my brilliant discussion? My engaging and bubbly personality? Maybe receding hairlines are really in.

Nahhh! The reason why the Wheat Belly conversation is now dominating any discussion of nutrition is simple:

It works.

It works for undoing the astounding array of health conditions attributable to modern wheat, including acid reflux, bowel urgency/irritable bowel syndrome, mind “fog,” depression, paranoia, anxiety, joint pain, seborrhea, psoriasis, dandruff, tooth decay, gingivitis, diabetes, “high cholesterol,” hypertension, along with a host of inflammatory and autoimmune conditions. And, oh yes, most people lose lots of weight, mostly from their bellies. Critics who claim that Wheat Belly is nothing more than another low-carb diet have missed the essential point: It’s not wheat. Modern wheat is the result of extensive changes introduced into the genetics of the plant, changed for purposes of increased yield-per-acre, but resulting in an incredible array of unintended health effects on humans who consume this agricultural mistake.

Life without wheat is good! Not only are you healthier and skinnier, but you can still enjoy foods you might miss, such as cookies, muffins, and pies. That’s the reason I wrote the new Wheat Belly Cookbook, so that you can still keep the kids happy with after-school slices of PB & J Bread or healthy Strawberry Shortcakes, entertain with Mini Mocha Cakes, Teriyaki Meatballs, or Green Chile and Chorizo Strata, or have rich holiday meals with Key Lime Pie, Cream of Broccoli Soup, or Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloin.

This message is so powerful because, over and over and over again, people are discovering that they now have control over appetite, feel clearer and more energetic, and have taken back control over their health. They are experiencing the Wonderful World of Wheatlessness!

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly Cookbook, Wheat Belly--The Book. Bookmark the permalink.

91 Responses to Dietitians are sobbing in their Raisin Bran!

1. Christine says:

I am a Personal Trainer, and did a detox recently (no sugar, wheat, dairy or alcohol) for 12 days, just to cut back on the sugar I was increasingly eating! But surprisingly, it was the mental fog lifting that won me over eliminating wheat from now on. I can’t believe the difference. I don’t even need my second coffee in the afternoon anymore. I lost 6 lbs in 12 days, and I wasn’t even doing it to lose weight. My husband also eliminated wheat, and he lost 10 lbs in the same amount of time. Your cookbook is fantastic, I am looking forward to trying all of the recipes. I think you are on to something…..:)

A great start, Christine!

If you were to obtain several blood metabolic markers, such as blood glucose, HbA1c, c-reactive protein, lipoproteins like small LDL particles, etc., you would see a marked transformation signifying improved metabolic health.

• Greg says:

I call it overwheat not over weight

2. Patti says:

Eliminating wheat from my diet was not as difficult as I initially thought it would be. I do not feel deprivation, I am losing weight, and I have seen dramatic disappearances in many of my physical symptoms – this proves to me on a personal experiment level that wheat is dangerous for my health. So I do not look upon WB as a diet, but as a health intervention for the physical maladies brought on by the consumption of wheat. This is why I think Dr. Davis’ analysis is adding to the conversation about how to cure our health issues and obesity epidemic.

3. Kathy, Wheat Free Dietitian says:

I am a dietitian and have been teaching the wheat free message for a very long time. Dr. Davis’ books
    just helped me solidify my message. So, remember, not all dietitians are the same. My clients do very well eliminating wheat and minimizing carbs. Often we need to tweak other health issues such as enzymes and HCL for improved digestion, Vitamin D, Co Q 10, magnesium, etc and work with their doctor on the correct thyroid tests.. but Dr. Davis’ message is “spot on” for me. And I am a dietitian…

Yup: You are among the notable exceptions, Kathy!

I’m picking on the other 99%!

• Susanne says:

That is so true, Dr. D. But, I am so happy there are nutritionists that are spreading the word. The one I saw included a lot of “healthy whole grains” in the plan she was doing for me.

• Lois says:

So how do I locate a “Wheat Free” Nutritionist ?

4. Kimberly says:

Fellow wb I have adopted the new life style since September 2012. I have Lupus and constantly look for any type of relief from my chronic pain and fatigue. So far the pain in my hand joints have dissapeared, I no longer retain fluids in my extremities, brain fog reduced 50%, irratability down I think because I am sleeping better. and my bowel functions are more regular. How can people argue with that all done without drugs or supplements. Its been a challenge but I am not giving up next comes the sugar ban. Yikes Chocolate may be my biggest challenge. wish me luck. Best of luck to all for 2013

You’re off to a great start, Kimberly!

You are experiencing the slow response unique to autoimmune conditions like lupus when you eliminate wheat. Unlike, say, acid reflux that dissipates within 3-5 days, the inflammation of lupus requires months for full-effect. But, as you point out, you achieve these benefits without the nasty drugs, procedures, or other unnatural manipulations.

5. wrotek says:

I wonder does inflammatory belly fat has something to do with eating inflammatory foods ? Do white blood cells localized there protect the body from toxic chemicals infiltrating to the body ?

I don’t think it’s clear just why such a flagrant inflammatory response develops in visceral fat. However, note that this is likely a disordered response that humans are ill-prepared to tolerate, as it is such a recent evolutionary development.

• wrotek says:

Well visceral fat is placed over intestines, right ? The close localization of fat to intestines perhaps could point to some explanation ?

6. Kelly says:

Hi Dr D, congrats on having 3 best sellars, wow.

Still waiting for my cb from amazon. I recd my Prevention mag, it has an exclusive insert from your wb cb, that has a few of your recipees. I was not going to renew my subsription since big pharma buys all there ad space, but this issue actually has info that is right on. Jan 2013 issue.

I did give the wbb away as gifts but will they read it? I can only hope for their sake that they do. I’ve done my part.

Ide like to share my numbers, 32, 26, 34. Not bad for a 50 yr old eh. Before wb they were, 36, 29, 35. To shy to post a pic, I don’t have a before shot.

Txs doc for saving my life.

Happy 2013.

7. Brenda says:

Hi
    I have read that blog but page 202 of the WB cookbook has a recipe using quinoa.In addition, pg. 290 says that quinoa is occasionally useful for people who are not carbohydrate intolerable.
    I also found on pg 21 that the advice is to steer clear of all forms of wheat, new and old

8. Jacqueline says:

I just received my cookbook on my iPad and made the delicious wheat-free pancakes for breakfast. I was amazed to discover that someone had already entered the lemon poppyseed receipe into”myfitnesspal”. The message is indeed gathering steam!

The other thing that brightened my day is that there is a big article in the Omaha World Herald money section detailing the launch of a gluten-free line of bread by Rotella’s Bakery. They are a multi-generational business that sells throughout the Midwest. I don’t know yet whether the bread will indeed fit into our philosophy and way of eating (I know that they aren’t using nut flours). However, as Dr. Davis pointed out, market forces are indeed at work. Mainstreet has taken note of the huge potential customer base!

9. Ailu says:

Hey Dr Davis, did you see this study? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23253599
    Rodents on a gluten-free diet gained less fat and overall bodyweight than rodents on an otherwise identical diet that contained gluten, despite eating the same amount of food and excreting no additional lipids.

Thanks to Mark for posting about this, otherwise I woulda missed it!

10. Carol says:

Are there any other cookbooks that you’d recommend? Also, is rice pasta OK to use.

11. Rachelle says:

Congratulations on the success of your books, it’s well deserved!

I’ve had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia for 23 years, and went on wheat free/no grains/no sugar/less than 20 grams carb per day, 8 months ago. It has had great results, but no weight loss apart from the initial water weight. What’s improved:

My insomia is gone, it was very bad for over 10 years
    A steady level of energy all during the day, although it has not increased
    My skin is much improved
    I love the food, I also like not being hungry much

If only there was weight loss as well…. I’ve had my thyroid checked with free T3/T4 etc tests, it seems normal. Gave up dairy for 2 weeks, that did nothing at all. Definitely eating below 20g carb per day, and no cheats at all. I’m not eating too much protein either. I’ve gone through your list of why there might be no weight loss and I’m doing everything right. Could it be my CFS/Fibro? As soon as I came down with it I gained a lot of weight.

My B12 and iron are low, so I’ve started supplementing. They should be good since I eat a lot of red meat but nope. My stomach is clearly not digesting things properly, I’m taking apple cider vinegar to see if that helps. Can you think of anything I should be doing that could help weight loss? Even without losing weight I will stick to this way of eating, the results are great.

Thank you for all the good you are doing,

Rachelle

Rachelle–

NEVER accept “seems normal” for thyroid values. You would be shocked at how often people are told this, but have modest levels of hypothyroidism, but more than sufficient to completely impair weight loss.

Also, see this Wheat Belly Blog post:http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/i-lost-the-wheat-but-didnt-lose-weight-2/

• Rachelle says:

Thank you for replying Dr Davis.

I’ve read everything you’ve said about thyroid problems, in fact that’s why I got tested in the first place. Alas I’m in Australia so I don’t know how to interpret my test results compared to what you’ve written. As they are in the ‘normal’ range my doctor would say there is nothing wrong. Here they are in case they make sense to you:

TSH 3.2 mU/L (range 0.40 – 4.00)
        free T4 17 pmol/L (range 10 – 20)
        Free T3 3.9 pmol/L (range 2.8 – 6.8)

Still waiting for the reverse T3 results. I don’t have any obvious thyroid symptom, except of course fatigue.

Rachelle

• derp says:

Your TSH is quite high, which is a pointer to hypothyroidism. The funny thing is, your T4 is quite high, which is okay, but your T3 is low. T3 is vastly more active on your tissues, so I would say you are hypothyroid with a T4-T3 conversion disorder. 60% of conversion is done by the liver, so liver damage could be a possible cause, yet given that you have no symptoms pointing in that direction, it is a lesser possibility.
          A decreased conversion can be caused by a selenium deficiency (rare) that you can balance through organic grass feed meat. Given that you have have CFS/FM for over 23 years, I suspect you are already postmenopausal (right?) – you could be low on progesterone.
          You could get T3 as a prescription med (do you have that in the US?) or hormone replacement therapy or (best way) find some underlying cause.

Dr. Davis, can you jump in here? :)

• Rachelle says:

Hi Derp,

Thank you for your answer, I am trying so hard to figure out what could be wrong with me (apart from the CFS).

I’m 47 and not menopausal, I became sick when I was 23 and haven’t worked since. Slowly over the years I’ve been going downhill and am able to do less and less.

I just received my Reverse T3 result, it is

Serum Reverse T3 (RT3) 443 pmol/L (range 170-450)

There is nothing obvious that I can think of that could be wrong, I’ve never smoked or drunk alcohol or had any majory health problems other than CFS/fibro.

For the last 8 months I’ve also been taking Lugol’s iodine 4 drops twice a day, I don’t know if that would change my test results. Have just started on vitamin B3 and B2 to see if that helps.

I’m in Australia, and my doctor would look at these test results and say it’s normal. He won’t prescribe anything I’m sure. I don’t know where else to get T3 meds to try, if they might help me.

Rachelle

12. Melissa says:

My mother suffers from extreme Sciatica. It’s essentially kept her house-bound. She fears going anywhere lest the pain of the Sciatica hits her. She is 83. She loves her bread, so I’m going to try the bread recipes in the WBCB to see if they would be suitable substitutes from what she is now consuming. Does anyone know if Sciatica is caused by inflammation? It tears me up inside everytime I talk to her and all she can do is complain of the pain. Unfortunately, she lives in another state, so it does make it a bit of a challenge right now. Thanks.

• Jacqueline says:

I too used to have sciatica pain. I can confidently report that by eliminating wheat (and all grains) it virtually disappeared! Also pain in my hands, feet, knees, and elbows. I used to feel achy all the time, even in bed at night. Gone—-poof!

I fear that sciatica only occasionally responds to this approach. It also requires many months of consistent effort to gauge a response, if it occurs at all.

While wheat consumption does not, of course, cause the nerve impingement that leads to sciatic pain, it only superimposes a heightened inflammatory response that can make it worse.

13. Annette says:

Dr. Davis
    I saw this on kindle and they are using your book name in there book. See link below.

thought you would like to know as this can be confusing.

Yes, thanks, Annette.

The Rodale attorneys are onto this sort of stuff.

• Annette says:

i saw another one both of them on amazon. the first one claims to be wheat free but in a recipe he tells you to eat wheat bran.

14. Connie says:

Just saw something interesting on Amanzon. I entered “Wheat Belly Cookbook” because I wanted to read the reviews and there are two other people riding your coattails, Dr. Davis, using the words Wheat Belly in the name of their kindle downloads of recipes. Just thought I’d mention it since I didn’t know if you had seen it.

15. ray mckinney says:

Dr.Davis,I know that you generally reccommend 12-15 carbs per meal.My question is just how many carbs does it take before one sees a significant elevation in blood sugar? thank you,Ray

16. ray mckinney says:

Dr. Davis, I know you generally recommemd 12-15 carbs per meal. My question is, what is maximun number of carbs that one can ingest before noticing a significant elevation in their blood sugar?

17. riri says:

You are a truly a God send Dr Davis you’ve change countless of lives including mine.. i love what Wheat Belly has done for me i dont wake up stressed out about what to eat and how much im allowed to eat anymore because i just know the right kinds of foods to eat and theres no counting calories or fat grams thats freedom in itself! Unfortunately the Canadian and American food guides have it all wrong and contribute to societs miscontrued ideas of what’s healthy . I try to tell people at work about your book and harmful effects of wheat but some people just dont wanna hear it. I guess ignorance is bliss till its too late for them and their suffering the terrible effects. Cant wait to pick up your cookbook and i hope your book stays at #1 for a long time to come and please let me know if you have any other books in the works! that would be something i would look forward to for sure! thanks again!

Great, Riri!

Don’t sweat over your coworkers. They will observe how vibrant, healthy, and slender you look, while they continue to struggle with abdominal pains, joint pains, weight gain, low energy. They will be diagnosed with “high cholesterol,” hypertension, and pre-diabetes or diabetes, THEN they will think, “Gee, maybe she was right after all!”

18. Teri Boterman says:

Dear Dr. Davis
    My sister and a customer where I work mentioned wheat free to me because I suffer with fibromyalsia (sp) . My fear of all this is the cost of going wheat free. I read in one posting that you suggest using nut flours in your cookbook…working in the grocery business I know the cost of these and quite frankly I can’t afford this form of cooking or purchasing. So, essentially wheat free is, as with all things for the upper classes only. I go as wheat free as possible but I do have to eat.

Teri

• Allen says:

Teri,

I live in China where we can’t really get these nut flours very easily. Almond flour would run about US$30 for a kg. I am still able to follow this eating plan easily by mostly cutting out the deserts. i do occasionally eat some deserts…. a spoonful of ice cream, for instance or an occasional piece of cheescake, so i’m not a purist yet. By focusing on meats, veggies, nuts, cheese, I can eat very well and not be hungry all the time. The one ‘flour’ type thing I do pretty regularly is the flax wrap instead of flour wrap, and it is very affordable and very filling. I’ve lost 20 lbs, halved my triglycerides, doubled my HDL, and A1c down to 5.5. from 6% in a few months.

19. Debbie Godsey says:

I loved the Wheat Belly book. Someone left it at work and I read it on my night shift. So very thankful to Dr. Davis. I have just been working on wheat free dieting and I feel so much better already!!! Is Ezekiel Bread ok being organic with sprouted wheat and other grains? Keep up the great work you are doing. You are a God send.

Thanks, Debbie: Not too shabby for a single shift!

No, I would most definitely not eat the sprouted wheat, organic or no. It is still wheat with all its unhealthy components.

20. Neicee says:

Hey guys, spent some time this morning over at http://www.dietdoctor.com and he’s referenced a link to http://www.todaysdietitian.com where they actually complimented the LCHF method to aid with diabetics. My jaw just about hit the floor. Perhaps some are seeing the light, and there’s hope they all do, but we’ve a nation of them that haven’t bothered to update their recommendations for years. I did some searching on the dietitian website and they do a great job on an article about K2 as well. Some of their other articles seemed to have been written by the same old, same old culprits though.

Andreas Eenfelt, the Diet Doctor, is actually a wonderful source of credible information! I’ve had many conversations with him, as we have both been speakers at Jimmy Moore’s annual Low-Carb Cruise.

• Neicee says:

It’s good to hear you have colleagues that we can also quote to naysayers we know that throw out the old argument of “well it seems to only be one doctor that’s saying that” – the more the merrier.