Seasoning mixes

Carole generously posted these recipes for a variety of mixes, all sans wheat, in response to the recent Wheat Watch post about chili seasoning. Because so many seasoning mixes contain wheat, cornstarch, as well as many unpronounceable synthetic ingredients, whipping up your own seasoning mixes is a great way to avoid such inadvertent exposures.

SPAGHETTI SAUCE

Sauce:
1 lb. ground beef
16 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
2 3/4 c. tomato juice or water
1 recipe of the dry mix

Brown meat, drain if desired, add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook 10 or more minutes.

ITALIAN COOKING SAUCE
29 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
29 oz. can tomato sauce
2 c. water
12 oz. can tomato paste
2 T. dry minced onion
2 T. dry parsley
1 T. salt
4 t. dry bell pepper flakes
1 t. dry minced garlic
1 1.2 t. Italian seasoning
2 t. fennel seeds, bruised (either in a mortar/pestle, or wrap in waxed paper and smash with a hammer slightly)
Generous amount of chopped fresh basil and oregano if desired
1/2 c. red wine (cheap is fine)

Combine all ingredients, simmer 15 mins.

Divide into freezer containers of a size that will make sense for your family. Makes approximately 3 quarts. You can use it as it is, or brown up some meat and add. I use it for spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, lasagne, eggplant parmesan, chicken cacciatore, etc. using NON-WHEAT ingredients, of course, like zucchini ribbons for spaghetti pasta, cauliflower crust for the pizza, zucchini ribbons for the lasagne noodles (can also make egg “crepes” from scrambled egg mixture; just cook in a thin layer like a crepe and cut to size), and for eggplant I merely coat in beaten egg and fry in olive oil, no breading is required.

SLOPPY JOES
Dry mix:
1 T. dry minced onion
1 t. dried bell pepper flakes
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dry minced garlic
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. celery seed (don’t omit this, it really adds something)
1/4 t. chili powder
1/2 t. xanthan gum

To cook:
1 lb. ground beef
1 recipe of the mix
1/2 c. water
8 oz. tomato sauce

Brown meat, drain if desired. Add remaining ingredients, cook at a simmer for 10 mins.

Good on a bed of shredded lettuce with grated cheese and a few chopped pepperoncini thrown on top. Also good on Oopsie rolls.

TACOS
Taco Seasoning Recipe
2 t. dry minced onion
1 t. salt
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. dry crushed red peppers
1/2 t. dry minced garlic
1/4 t. dry oregano
1/2 t. ground cumin

Taco filling:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. water
1 recipe taco seasoning

Brown meat, drain if desired. Add water and seasonings, bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 10 mins.

This really does make a great taco filling, and it is marvelous sprinkled dry on boneless pork ribs to cook on low in the crockpot. Try these ribs with coleslaw. [Since we try to also avoid corn, try stuffing the Wheat Belly Flaxseed Wraps with Carole's taco filling.]

CHILI
Chili seasoning:
2T. dry minced onion
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1 t. seasoned salt
1/2 t. dry crushed red peppers
1/2 t. dry minced garlic
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. xanthan gum

To cook:
1 lb. ground beef
2 15 oz cans beans, drained. Use pinto, kidney, black, etc. Feel free to mix to your taste.
29 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
Chili seasoning recipe
Water to your liking

Brown beef, drain if desired. Add remaining ingredients, cook at a simmer for at least 10 mins.
Or brown beef, add remaining ingredients and cook in a slow-cooker on low for 4-6 hours.

BEST RANCH DRESSING EVER
Dry mix:
2 t. dry minced onion
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. dry dill
1 T. dry parsley, crumbled

Dressing:
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. real mayonnaise
1 recipe dry mix

Combine all ingredients in a glass jar with a lid. Shake until well blended. Chill at least an hour before using, longer is better.

Yes, using fresh vegs/herbs would probably taste better, but as the dried things reconstitute they thicken the dressing to a perfect degree. One of my sons came over for dinner the other night and told me that he NEVER has Ranch dressing as good as my homemade version, so do try this one.

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Seasoning mixes

1. Lo says:

Thank you sooooooo much Carole and Dr. Davis!!!!! These are great!

2. Bonnie says:

These are absolutely wonderful! Nov. 15 was my last “wheat” day, so I am a “newbie”…trying to learn as much as possible! The recipes you submitted contain many of my favorites! My one concern is related to the dry minced onion. Being new I have raided my cabinets and my pantry reading labels checking for wheat. My dry minced onion states “MAY CONTAIN, WHEAT, MILK, SOY”. So, I had banished this ingredient. Perhaps there are different brands that have no possibility of containing wheat? Thank you for the recipes…and, of course for this amazing book! I could NOT stop reading it! I am anxiously awaiting the release of your cookbook, Dr. Davis. I have it purchased through the pre-order status.
    Oh, and even though it has only been 11 days Wheat Free, I am experiencing many positive changes!

Great, Bonnie!

Yes, you can indeed find onion preparations without wheat.

• Paula Cofman says:

I started the Wheat Belly DIet today 11-30-12 I have been low-carbing off and on for years… (mostly off) I keep slipping back into old habits. The welness program at work suggests 40% of my diet from carbs, and “healthy whole grains” which means for 7 weeksby following their advice, now I have not dropped one pound. I knew better!! So, I now have the book, and I am on board, hoping to drop this abdominal fat, and lower my A1c… it’s 6.8 Paula

3. Alice says:

Where do you get zucchini ribbon pasta?

4. Christina says:

I protest the Italian seasoning mix (forgive me – I have an Italian Mama) it should be: onion, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, pepper. If you want a bit of a kick add a few red pepper flakes.

And for the sauce you shouldn’t use paste – it’s too bitter, instead use diced and crushed tomatoes (proportion depends on your preference for chunks) and cook it for several hours until it goes from bright red to more of a deep mahogany color. It should also have Parmesan cheese and some olive oil (cooking on low won’t smoke the oil). Yes it takes longer, but it can be frozen in small quart containers (or if you are single – ice cube trays) and used as needed.

Oh, and if you have the time, meatballs are better than ground. Simply mix the meat with the same seasoning and a couple eggs and squished rice (original recipe called for bread crumbs). Fry so the outside is seared and the inside still needs cooking, then placed in the sauce to finish cooking. The sauce and meat then become mutually flavored goodness.

Thanks for the advice, Christina!

• LyndaF says:

Great ideas, all around. I eat LCHF as well, so I make meatballs with just ground beef and spices. I work them well into balls (pat and roll them so there are no cracks) before frying them and they hold together just fine, no egg, no filler of any sort. My family loves them! Oh, I might have included a bit of diced onion (which is all I put in beef patties). They also freeze quite well and can be used in different recipes if you cook them separately.

5. Marianne says:

What is the purpose of the xanthan gum?

6. Loretta says:

Wow,Thank you. That is a pretty comprehensive list ! :-)

7. Liza says:

Zucchini ribbon “pasta” is just a zucchini peeled down to the seeds with a regular vegetable peeler. You can use this in place of regular pasta noodles. Just lightly steam them or sauté them in your sauce. They hold up pretty well if you don’t overcook them.

8. Jennifer Snow says:

I’d advise against using tomato *sauce* and instead use tomato *puree*. The sauce is often full of hidden ingredients, often including wheat. Puree is just tomatoes.

9. Susan says:

Thanks for the recipes!! Made taco meat last night for the first time in months and immediately after eating it I got a horrible headache and my eczema flared. I knew it was not from the salad, avocado or meat so I checked the seasoning package and of course there it is WHEAT!!. I still find it amazing that such a tiny bit of wheat can make such a huge difference in how I feel.

10. Firebird says:

Where does one get “Real” Mayo that does not contain soybean oil, and/or high fructose corn syrup?

• Tanya says:

Perhaps make your own? I’ve made my own mayo before, it was really easy with a blender, can’t remember the recipe offhand but just google it, it should come up, involves drizzling in oil while the blender is running, it worked out good the once or twice I did it.

• Anne M says:

“Real” mayo is super-easy. I use a stick blender and a large mug that the blender just fits into. Put 4 tsp lemon juice, or red or white wine vinegar in the cup, add 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and one egg (raw, I use my own free-range, use one you would consider “safe for raw consumption”)
      Blend this a little with the blender, then turn the blender off, leave it in the cup and pour in 1 cup of your chosen oil. I use light-tasting olive oil. I have used avocado oil and I have heard macadamia nut oil is wonderful as well. Turn the blender on and slowly pull it to the top of the cup. When you reach the top the mayo is done!
      This is all we use at our house.

11. Vivian says:

Did I miss the “Taco Seasoning” recipe? A favorite used in this house a lot. Would love to see the healthy one. As to “real” mayo?…got a blender?…you can make it yourself with whatever oil, sugar substitute you choose.

12. Vivian says:

Oops! Found the Taco seasoning recipe! My bad! Thanks for these.

13. Cindy Howdyshell says:

Wow! THANKS! I will try them all!!

14. Sheila says:

Thanks Carole. These are great to have. I love ranch dressing and can’t wait to try it. Appreciate all your time to post these for us.

15. Jayla says:

Is Xantham Gum or Xylitol made from corn? I am celiac with both soy and corn sensitivities. I thought I had read that xantham gum and xylitol were derivatives of corn. This upset me very much since I had been eating foods with these ingredients in them. Thanks for any input
    Thanks!

16. Tanya says:

Ok, I did a search on here for Oopsie rolls, couldn’t find anything. Are they something commercial or homemade?

17. Marcia says:

Here is the website to the woman who developed the Oopsie roll and many other recipes

18. carole medley says:

Kris, Oopsies are big in the low-carb community. They are puffs of egg, cream cheese, cream of tartar and baked. They LOOK like rolls, but have no grains. Dr. Atkins had a recipe for them ‘way back in ’72 (I believe), using cottage cheese. He called them Atkins Revolution Rolls. But Cleochatra (of Your Lighter Side) has re-worked them as Oopsie Rolls. She has tons of fabulous recipes.

19. Jeanne says:

Cant figure out how to email or make a new post, so I thought I’d just post it here.
    I found and incredible and incredibly easy snack on a blog called : theclothesmakethegirl.com.
    Melissa is the author.

She made a crispy coconut treat that I just made- delish!

In a frying pan , put in a cup of unsweetened coconut curls over a medium high heat-
    Stir them around constantly till they toast to a golden color-
    Take off the fire and toss in a mixture of your choice, I used cinnamon, sea salt, Splenda and cloves.
    I believe she only used a pinch of cinnamon and about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.

Have the spices of choice mixed together in a small bowl prior to starting to toast the coconut.

This is so darn good and easy. My fav!

Elegantly simple, Jeanne!

Thanks for posting!

• Wendy K says:

I have also made the pan-toasted coconut curls, but didn’t need any sweetening besides the spices. Could have eaten the whole pan myself:) Yum!!
      We have a large Paleo community here in my small B.C. town of 10,000; even the most popular coffee shop offers a Paleo treat everyday, which sells out before noon!