Seasoning mixes

Carole generously posted these recipes for a variety of mixes, all sans wheat, in response to the recent Wheat Watch post about chili seasoning. Because so many seasoning mixes contain wheat, cornstarch, as well as many unpronounceable synthetic ingredients, whipping up your own seasoning mixes is a great way to avoid such inadvertent exposures.

SPAGHETTI SAUCE

Sauce:
1 lb. ground beef
16 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
2 3/4 c. tomato juice or water
1 recipe of the dry mix

Brown meat, drain if desired, add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook 10 or more minutes.

ITALIAN COOKING SAUCE
29 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
29 oz. can tomato sauce
2 c. water
12 oz. can tomato paste
2 T. dry minced onion
2 T. dry parsley
1 T. salt
4 t. dry bell pepper flakes
1 t. dry minced garlic
1 1.2 t. Italian seasoning
2 t. fennel seeds, bruised (either in a mortar/pestle, or wrap in waxed paper and smash with a hammer slightly)
Generous amount of chopped fresh basil and oregano if desired
1/2 c. red wine (cheap is fine)

Combine all ingredients, simmer 15 mins.

Divide into freezer containers of a size that will make sense for your family. Makes approximately 3 quarts. You can use it as it is, or brown up some meat and add. I use it for spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, lasagne, eggplant parmesan, chicken cacciatore, etc. using NON-WHEAT ingredients, of course, like zucchini ribbons for spaghetti pasta, cauliflower crust for the pizza, zucchini ribbons for the lasagne noodles (can also make egg “crepes” from scrambled egg mixture; just cook in a thin layer like a crepe and cut to size), and for eggplant I merely coat in beaten egg and fry in olive oil, no breading is required.

SLOPPY JOES
Dry mix:
1 T. dry minced onion
1 t. dried bell pepper flakes
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dry minced garlic
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. celery seed (don’t omit this, it really adds something)
1/4 t. chili powder
1/2 t. xanthan gum

To cook:
1 lb. ground beef
1 recipe of the mix
1/2 c. water
8 oz. tomato sauce

Brown meat, drain if desired. Add remaining ingredients, cook at a simmer for 10 mins.

Good on a bed of shredded lettuce with grated cheese and a few chopped pepperoncini thrown on top. Also good on Oopsie rolls.

TACOS
Taco Seasoning Recipe
2 t. dry minced onion
1 t. salt
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. dry crushed red peppers
1/2 t. dry minced garlic
1/4 t. dry oregano
1/2 t. ground cumin

Taco filling:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. water
1 recipe taco seasoning

Brown meat, drain if desired. Add water and seasonings, bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 10 mins.

This really does make a great taco filling, and it is marvelous sprinkled dry on boneless pork ribs to cook on low in the crockpot. Try these ribs with coleslaw. [Since we try to also avoid corn, try stuffing the Wheat Belly Flaxseed Wraps with Carole's taco filling.]

CHILI
Chili seasoning:
2T. dry minced onion
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1 t. seasoned salt
1/2 t. dry crushed red peppers
1/2 t. dry minced garlic
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. xanthan gum

To cook:
1 lb. ground beef
2 15 oz cans beans, drained. Use pinto, kidney, black, etc. Feel free to mix to your taste.
29 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
Chili seasoning recipe
Water to your liking

Brown beef, drain if desired. Add remaining ingredients, cook at a simmer for at least 10 mins.
Or brown beef, add remaining ingredients and cook in a slow-cooker on low for 4-6 hours.

BEST RANCH DRESSING EVER
Dry mix:
2 t. dry minced onion
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. dry dill
1 T. dry parsley, crumbled

Dressing:
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. real mayonnaise
1 recipe dry mix

Combine all ingredients in a glass jar with a lid. Shake until well blended. Chill at least an hour before using, longer is better.

Yes, using fresh vegs/herbs would probably taste better, but as the dried things reconstitute they thicken the dressing to a perfect degree. One of my sons came over for dinner the other night and told me that he NEVER has Ranch dressing as good as my homemade version, so do try this one.

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Seasoning mixes

1. JustGolda says:

Hello!
    Thank you for posting these recipes! I read a recipe for ketchup somewhere but can’t find it now. Can someone help me out and let me know what that recipe was?
    Thanks,
    Golda

2. B.Q says:

You mention making this recipe using “real mayonnaise” I have yet to find any brand of mayonnaise that does not have wheat, or some kind of corn with a different name. I would love to make this recipe but where would I find a mayonnaise that is “real” without the hidden ingredients?

• Sharon says:

You can make your own mayonnaise. It’s actually very simple and it’s fun to watch it emulsify together. It also tastes way better than the stuff you get at the store. :-)

• BQ says:

Thank you for your reply. Every recipe I look up says either canola or vegetable oil. Do you know of any alternative to those that wouldn’t make it taste weird?

• Nimbrethil says:

Literally any liquid oil will work, so just use whatever oil you prefer. Olive oil is my personal favorite, though I’ve used a variety of oils (some that aren’t exactly recommended), including grapeseed, safflower, and run-of-the-mill vegetable oil. Olive oil is by far my favorite, though yes, it can be quite pricey. Probably the best solution is to use whatever favorite oil you can afford and treat this homemade stuff like its gold, something to be used sparingly and as a delectable treat.

3. Elaine Stern says:

I am just beginning the wheat free diet. Why a should we avoid corn also? I can understand if it is for the same reasons we are avoiding wheat.

Not the same reasons, Elaine, but because corn is 1) a grain that, as all other grains do, raise blood sugar sky-high, and 2) is more often than not genetically-modified.

4. Ann Marie says:

Hello, I am just starting on my wheat-free lifestyle, and as I am going through the products I have at home, I looked at the label of my Kraft salad dressings. One common ingredient is xanthan gum, I had a look at Wikipedia, and it states that this gum is a wheat derivitive, so I thought I would have to get rid of these bottles of salad dressing. However, when I did a search on the Wheat Belly blog, I see several recipes using the xanthan gum, such as this one.
    So, is xanthan gum ok on a wheat-free diet?
    And there are so many other ingredients that I just do not know anything about, whether they are harmful or not, such as potassium sorbate, acetylated monoglycerides, calcium disodium and EDTA. Is there a place I can find a list of additives to products, to find out if they are good or bad?
    Thanks for your help, Ann Marie

To my knowledge, Ann Marie, xanthan gum is not a wheat-derived ingredient. I believe you are safe with it.

5. Hi! I am wondering what you use the spaghetti saice for since, obviously, pasta is out. :) Thanks!

• Denise says:

Try making spaghetti squash. There are some easy to follow recipes on how to prepare it on recipes.com. Hope this helps

6. Sorry for the duplicate post! I thought it didn’t post the first time :P

7. Sherrill says:

Hi,

Are wheat free and gluten free the same? If not, what is the difference?

Have you read the book, Sherrill?

You will find that gluten is a protein in wheat, barley, rye, triticale, and a few others. That is NOT what Wheat Belly is primarily about. It is about the changes introduced into wheat that changed many of its components that now make it the most destructive ingredient in the modern diet.

8. Denise says:

I have been trying for 2 years to loss the unwanted pounds of fat that I have packed on. I started exercising daily in November and as of today have lost 10 pounds with a restricted diet of 1200 to 1500 calories daily. But, even with the restricted calorie counting I am still 22 pounds from my weight goal. I had read an article in “Woman’s World” May 2012 edition, Shake Off 10 Lbs and luckly when cleaning out some magazine baskets I ran across it again. I am excited to say that I will be trying the Wheat Belly diet immediatedly. Any suggestions for dinner recipes at this point would be greatly welcomed.

• TJSpin says:

Hope you do well. Calorie restriction isn’t necessary and may even be limiting your weight loss. Eat what Dr. D recommends and do not worry about calorie counting.

9. Betty says:

What are “oopsie rolls”?

10. evelyn says:

I am enjoying my first flaxseed wrap this morning. WOW. I cooked the first 3 minutes, and it turned out crispy(that is A OK because I love the crispy texture), the second I cooked just 2 minutes-haven’t taken it out of the pan yet……..my question..has anyone tried making them on a griddle pan?

11. Debbie says:

According to the Spaghetti Sauce recipe, there is “1 recipe of the dry mix” under the Sauce recipe.

My question is: “1 recipe of the dry mix” of what?

Thanx.