Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Herb Almond Crust

Here’s a fabulous recipe from Ayla, the incredibly inventive blogger at Gourmet Girl Cooks Blog, who has been taking the Wheat Belly Facebook page by storm with her beautiful dishes.

Getting the crust as perfect as she did might take a couple of tries, but go ahead and eat your “mistakes”–they’ll still be delicious

Filling
2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
2 cups chicken broth (plus extra to use as necessary to adjust sauce thickness)
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/2 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
2 carrots, sliced thinly
1 cup fresh green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup half-n-half
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Crust
2 cups almond flour
3 tablespoons “cold” butter, diced
1 egg
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 – 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray/grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish and set aside.

Filling:
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and sauté celery and onion until tender. Add chicken broth, carrots, green beans; cover and simmer until carrots and green beans are tender. Add parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a low boil while stirring in the xanthan gum, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, whisking vigorously until well blended. Once it has reached the desired thickness, add the half-n-half and stir well. Check seasoning (salt and pepper) and make any necessary adjustments. Add chicken to the sauce and mix well. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes to just to keep hot.

Crust:
In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, butter, egg, cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and cut in with a pastry cutter until crumbly and all flour is moistened and cheese is pulverized into the mixture. Press dough together in a ball and place on a sheet of parchment paper and flatten out lightly into a circle shape (or the shape of the top of your casserole); cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness to the size of your casserole dish. Handle the dough minimally with your hands (you don’t want to heat up or melt the butter in the dough; you want it to remain stiff).

Pour hot filling mixture into casserole dish. Gently and carefully lift the dough and place it on top of the filling in the casserole (ideally, the filling will be within an inch or so of the top when filled and the crust will fit and lay nicely on top). If it cracks a little, gently press it back together. You can use any leftover scraps of dough that you have left to build a crust around the edge of your casserole dish. Put chicken pot pie in a 350-degree F oven for 15 minutes; lower oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown and done (gauge by touching the top of the crust).

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Herb Almond Crust

1. Natasha says:

I LOVE Ayla’s blog SO much! I’ve been on Wheat Belly for five days now and I’ve used her site a lot. This recipe looks amazing. Thank you!

2. Katie says:

Oh a name to go with the recipes! Ayla (beautiful) you know I’m one of your biggest fans! Will be making this….keep cranking out the dynamite recipes!

3. Kristin says:

I would love a dairy free version of this: coconut milk, cashew cream maybe? SO many people who don’t tolerate gluten don’t do so well on dairy either <3

• Cammie says:

Try mimi-creme, it’s made from cashews, has no dairy, and can be used in any recipe calling for cream or half and half. Found it a Whole Foods, also google it and see if you can order it from the company that makes it.

4. Diana says:

Oh, boy! Minus the carrots, this is SO going on our menu for next week! Thanks!

5. Janne says:

Oh wow, this sounds like a keeper. I might just not do the x-gum – if I do the rest right, it should hang together fine..

6. Michael says:

Sounds good, but what’s half-n-half?

7. Trish says:

Thank you for this it looks delicious!! I was just whining the other day about how much I miss a local markets pot pies – now I can make my own!! Can’t wait to try it! Cheers!!

8. pat says:

I made this and forgot the egg. It crumbles easy anyway when you are transferring it. Next time I will roll it out on the parchment paper and bake it for a while in the oven like the pizza crust you hold in your hand and then transfer it to the top of the casserole. It was delicious anyway !

9. Kathy says:

Thanks to Wheat Belly, Gourmet Girl is one of my favorite blogs! Her photos make me drool, and every recipe I’ve made is so good.

10. Elizabeth L says:

I’ve made this twice since I saw it on Facebook Wheat Belly Recipe Central. Really good, the cheese adds good flavor to the crust and the sauce (with the xanthum gum) really works for pot pie.

11. Robin says:

I made this last night to cover some mince. Very tasty and turned out well. I was going to make some pies in the pie-maker but couldn’t be bothered with the fuss so just laid it out over the mince & baked. I’ve run out of parchment paper so rolled it between some plastic wrap. Will definitely use this again with the chicken. Thanks.

12. Lori Miller says:

Tasty! A couple of things I did to make this a little easier: I cooked a whole chicken in a pressure cooker for an hour and used the juices as broth. I also blended the crust in a food processor (and shredded the cheese in it as well).

13. Louise says:

This sounds lovely. I have all the ingredients already apart from the chicken broth.
    Can you advise us on how to make this?

14. Dee says:

The picture looks amazing. I can’t wait to try this. And more especially, thanks for the link to Gourmet Girl Cooks Blog. I just spent an hour combing through her wheat free, gluten free recipes and they look fabulous. I have already signed up for her blog updates. Of course I love your Wheat Belly blog too as well as the book (bought 2 hardcovers and 1 Kindle version so far). Dr. Davis, you have changed my life for the better/healthier. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
    Dee

15. michelle says:

Looks Amazing ! surely going to try the Chiken pot pie. Starting the lose wheat belly way of eating and planning a weeks menu plan.
    I wanted to know what I can replace the almond flour with due to almond allergires in the family ?

16. Kate says:

Oh, I am sure this answer is somewhere on here but at the risk of not wanting to search. Can anyone recommend the best brand of turkey to buy for a gluten free Thanksgiving? I know in Dr. D’s book he says the self basting ones are not gluten free.
    Idea’s or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

17. Marsha says:

I noticed that in your materials you say to avoid the spice curry. Why is that?

18. victoria says:

Loved this recipe! My husband made it for dinner tonight and it was gone in a flash. DELICIOUS! btw, I’ve been wheat free for about two months. I have cut waaaaaay back on sugar now only once in a blue moon in a mostly chocolate treat. Still eating non GMO organic tortillas but no other starches.
    I’m at least 10 pounds lighter, 2″ lost all the way around myself according to tape measure, no more headaches (BW (Before Wheat) used to have two a week, no more heartburn, lots of energy, no more brain fog, feeling fantastic! No aches and pains! Hooray!

Fabulous, Victoria!

Life is good without wheat: lose the wheat, lose the heartburn and gastrointestinal destruction, no distortion of brain function, no joint inflammation. Removing NO other food can accomplish such an incredible range of benefits.

• victoria says:

That has been the case for me. Now to completely eliminate sugar….have been using xylitol for occasional cup of coffee….rarely if ever these days eat sugar, but really want it to become the same as wheat is for me now, and that is that I have absolutely NO interest in ever eating it again.

19. Darlene says:

Dr Davis,
    This is another recipe to add to my list to try out. I am so glad to find recipes like this, along w/your pizza crust, flatbread, and Maria’s wraps & sub rolls so that we can still have our favorites. The only downside is the time I now have to devote to baking! The only thing I’m really going to miss that I can’t find a replacement for is pasta (other than the shirataki noodles). What do you think of using the gluten-free lasagna noodles just a few times a year, like Christmas & b’days? I hate to imagine life without lasagna!

20. Karen Robel says:

I tried this recipe and found it very satisfying. I was a little frustrated with the crust though. I tried using two eggs instead of one but could not get it to ball up. It was very crumbly. I ended up just spooning it no top of the filling. I think next time I might try adding water to it just so I can roll the dough into a ball. Any other tricks from people?