Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Herb Almond Crust

Here’s a fabulous recipe from Ayla, the incredibly inventive blogger at Gourmet Girl Cooks Blog, who has been taking the Wheat Belly Facebook page by storm with her beautiful dishes.

Getting the crust as perfect as she did might take a couple of tries, but go ahead and eat your “mistakes”–they’ll still be delicious

Filling
2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
2 cups chicken broth (plus extra to use as necessary to adjust sauce thickness)
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/2 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
2 carrots, sliced thinly
1 cup fresh green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup half-n-half
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Crust
2 cups almond flour
3 tablespoons “cold” butter, diced
1 egg
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 – 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray/grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish and set aside.

Filling:
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and sauté celery and onion until tender. Add chicken broth, carrots, green beans; cover and simmer until carrots and green beans are tender. Add parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a low boil while stirring in the xanthan gum, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, whisking vigorously until well blended. Once it has reached the desired thickness, add the half-n-half and stir well. Check seasoning (salt and pepper) and make any necessary adjustments. Add chicken to the sauce and mix well. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes to just to keep hot.

Crust:
In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, butter, egg, cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and cut in with a pastry cutter until crumbly and all flour is moistened and cheese is pulverized into the mixture. Press dough together in a ball and place on a sheet of parchment paper and flatten out lightly into a circle shape (or the shape of the top of your casserole); cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness to the size of your casserole dish. Handle the dough minimally with your hands (you don’t want to heat up or melt the butter in the dough; you want it to remain stiff).

Pour hot filling mixture into casserole dish. Gently and carefully lift the dough and place it on top of the filling in the casserole (ideally, the filling will be within an inch or so of the top when filled and the crust will fit and lay nicely on top). If it cracks a little, gently press it back together. You can use any leftover scraps of dough that you have left to build a crust around the edge of your casserole dish. Put chicken pot pie in a 350-degree F oven for 15 minutes; lower oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown and done (gauge by touching the top of the crust).

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Herb Almond Crust

1. Kelly says:

I made this last night for myself and my 3 grown kids. It was easy to make. The crust fell apart some but I just stuck in on top in pieces. I may try with a little less xanthan gum next time but otherwise it was perfect and we all loved it.

2. Ginny says:

Are you sure the xanthan gum doesn’t go in the crust? Why is it even needed in the filling?

3. Donna Pratt says:

I made this for our dinner tonight. My first try at using alternative baking ingrediants. The basic flavor was good, however my husband and I agreed that we didn’t like the texture of the xanthan gum thickened gravy. We felt that it was slimey feeling in our mouth. (reminded me of okra…..which I dislike). The crust was thicker than I expected and quite rich tasting. Retraining our taste buds becomes a challenge at times, especially since I am determined to remain grain free for life. My husband has chosen to continue his old eating pattern which means I often have to prepare 2 kinds of meals for us. I feel so much better since going grain free (4 months ago) that the trade off is worth it to me.

4. Claudette McCain says:

Just to let you know, I started the no wheat October 8/12 and feel great. Losing slowly, but bloating gone, so all is ok. I have two other co-workers reading and applying the no wheat consept. Went on the web and ordered the recipe book and wondered how long it usually takes to receive. It is going on three weeks.
    I certainly will try the Chicken Pot Pie
    Thanks again for your insight

Claudette

Great, Claudette!

The cookbook is not due out until Dec 24th, but I believe they will ship just a bit earlier than that. This was not under my control, but of the publisher.

5. Bethany says:

Made this last night and loved it! I added a little more Italian seasoning to the crust and some garlic powder to the filling and it was great! My boyfriend couldn’t even tell the crust was different (He hates almonds so I kept it to myself that it was made out of almond flour.)

The left overs are even better once the flavor has some time to soak through! Will definitely be making this again!

6. Tracy says:

I just made this recipe tonight and used turkey leftovers from yesterday’s dinner. I followed the recipe exactly and made little mini pies; the crust was easier when I made smaller versions rather than one big pie. My husband gave the pie a 10 out of 10, which is amazing for him, because he is a *super* picky eater, and my 11-year-old daughter gave it 8 out of 10 because I put carrots in the mix. LOL.

7. Tonya says:

Can you use arrowroot powder in place of xantham gum?

8. Christa says:

I made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious. I even forget to add the 1/2 & 1/2 to the sauce. This will definitely be a permanent addition to our dinner menu!

Christa

9. E. says:

I made this last night and it was a hit!! Didn’t have any xanthan gum, so I made an arrowroot slurry and that thickened up the sauce quite well. Also added some peas to the mix. It was delish!

I made a double batch and baked both casseroles, and put one in the freezer this morning. Will report back on whether it reheats well… I will be making a bunch of dishes to freeze for those chaotic first weeks with a newborn, and hopefully I can include this recipe! Thanks Dr Davis & Gourmet Girl!

10. regina says:

Wow – just made this and it was a huge success with my regular chicken pot pie loving family. All three boys and a husband (who doesn’t like nuts by the way) LOVED it. Great recipe!! Thank you!

11. Cindy says:

Oh, my! I fixed this tonight. It was wonderful!