Wheat Belly on CBS This Morning

It strikes me that the interview I did recently for CBS This Morning can serve as a good starting place for anyone new to this message. So I post it here for anyone interested:

Click here for the video.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly presentations and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Wheat Belly on CBS This Morning

1. I tried hard to see the video, and the link goes to a page that says “Wheat Belly” but the videos that appear there aren’t the one you are referring to. I was actually able to see a (unfortunately, derogatory) comment about the video, but the video itself? Didn’t work for me!

• Teresa says:

I just recently started this new lifestyle after reading the book about 12 days ago. I was a type 2 diabetic on Metformin and Byetta. I am now down 12 pounds (yes, 12 pounds), COMPLETELY off my medication (as of day TWO) because my blood sugars are that of a normal person (between 74 and 86 fasting and under 120 after meals). I never thought that possible. Every time I went to the doctors, they never asked how I was eating just how the medicine was working. Also, I know it may be TMI, but I hadn’t had a NORMAL bowel movement in a long time. It was always on the runny side (I know gross, but I chalked it up to my medicine). I can think more clearly, my mood is more stabilized and the biggest thing is for the FIRST time in my life, I actually KNOW when I am hungry and when I am not hungry. I was about to speak to my doctor about appetite suppressants because no matter what I did, I was constantly hungry. This is not just a diet, it is a new way of life and if you don’t look at it that way and think you can just do this for a little while, you are WRONG.

• Avrohom says:

I have been on an Atkins diet for quite a while now (over 12 months). This of course includes no wheat. Unfortunately, I am forced to stop the diet every Shabbos (Friday night and Saturday daytime), since bread is required at each of the three meals. I also include some stuffing in the nighttime meal with the chicken (optional but tasty), and there are beans and barley in the morning cholent (a long-cooking stew) and a very small amount of potato with the cholent meat. How can i ameliorate this necessary (yes, it is necessary) departure from an otherwise wheat-free diet? Is there some kind of bread I can have baked that will lessen the problem (such as winter emmer wheat with olive oil or whatever)? I have lost quite a lot of excess weight, but the wheat belly has remained intact.

2. Domen Lo says:

There seems to be a retard in the comments you might want to add in the next post(s).

In any case, I just wanted to extend the support of thousands of your “happy customers” – I’ve come upon your book in your Dave Asprey interview, first read the epub version, then bought the actual book to lend to friends. Now I have to get another one since the first one’s always circulating.

Since reading it I’ve lost 34 pounds in about two and a half months (and happily counting), I’ve never felt better, more energized and focused. I don’t feel bloated anymore, and I don’t have chest pains, skin itchings or joint pains anymore. You could say that it’s a small miracle :)

When talking to my friends I’ve managed to convince quite the low number since they usually “couldn’t manage to live without bread/pasta/sweets/etc”, the remaining few “turned” are however experiencing concentration changes that are very inspiring. More productivity, more energy, more happiness overall.

I too have noticed dramatic changes in my attention span, going from doing artwork to listening to lectures (recently enrolled in an MA course). Something I don’t remember having ever.

I’ve also noticed some (positive) changes in my psoriasis, and I’ll be keen to watch this progress continue in the coming months.

Thank you again for everything.

Domen Lo
    A starving artist :)

• Domen Lo says:

Oh yeah, forgot to add – since everyone and their dog is promoting “balanced diets” and lots of exercise … My story comes with 0% change in exercise (I stand around my desktop all day).

• Iris Alvares says:

Hi Damen Lo…
      What did you weigh when you started this lifestyle change? If I may ask…
      Thanks..
      Dr Davis..
      Have you noticed a trend if you are hugely overweight you lose more weight quickly in a short span of time.. Or is it just my observation..

• Alice says:

I have lost over 20 pounds since giving up wheat in May. I was overweight, but not technically obese. I am tall so if we call my healthy weight for my age 135, then I was 38 pounds overweight. So I have about 15 to go. The 23 that I lost came off in two stages. I lost the first ten very quickly when giving up wheat. I am a vegetarian, and I hit a plateau when I started to eat too much dairy to compensate for the loss of grains. When I took a break from the dairy about a month ago, the second ten pounds came off, with a couple of pounds off in the months in between. I have done this while being sedentary due to injury. It has been interesting designing a wheat-free vegetarian diet. I eat 3 eggs a day, nuts, some wild rice and quinoa, occasional dairy, and boatloads of vegetables. Very little fruit, because I find that fruit ramps up my appetite. Everyone in my family, including younger sibs, is type II diabetic and has high BP, except me.

• Lindsey says:

I’m a wheat-free vegetarian, too, in a household (hubby, 2 kids) that is the same. Fun stuff, trying to keep all of us fed and healthy. I was nearly diabetic, but nipped it in the bud.

• Alice says:

I highly recommend crock pot cooking! And making large batches of soup and freezing it. It’s the only way I stay sane.

Your observation is exactly right, Iris: Larger people lose faster in their early experience.

Saw a woman last Friday who lost 60 pounds in 6 months with a marked reduction in her need for insulin. Not too shabby!

3. Alice says:

You do a good job getting in as much information as you can in the brief time you are given in these interviews.

Thanks, Alice: The art of “getting as much of the message in the small time you are allotted” seems to be the theme nowadays!

4. Uncle Roscoe says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    This video is such good human interplay that it deserves a permanent or semi-permanent place on this home page.

5. wrotek says:

This video touches interesting issue, comparison between old wheat and modern “wheat alike product”.
    What does Dr Davis want to accomplish by stressing this out ? Perhaps makefarmers to bring back the old wheat ?
    Is not comparing old wheat to modern wheat similar to comparing whole grain to normal wheat product ?
    I mean Something bad versus something less bad, as Dr Davis said in the video ?

> … comparison between old wheat and modern? …
      > What does Dr Davis want to accomplish by stressing this …

It’s not wheat.
      as he often says.

It is very far from great grandma’s wheat. Calling it wheat is arguably criminal fraud. It’s an unexamined genetic mutant whose actual properties are not fully understood. You are the lab rat for the long-term testing that needed to be done, and wasn’t, or was bungled, or was deep-sixed.

The main thing modern triticum has in common with heirloom strains is morphology – it visually looks vaguely like wheat. It shares some chromosomes, but adds a huge number. Genetically, it might as well be goatgrass (and that has been asserted by a blog reader).

But (as Big Grain likes to assert) people have been eating wheat for millennia without serious problems?

1. What contaminates today’s packaged foods is not heirloom wheat, nor very much like it, genetically and metabolically.

2. People ate a lot less wheat in the heirloom millennia, due to lower yields (and higher market prices). It wasn’t used as a generic filler in 50% of snacks.

3. What they did eat did in fact cause problems. It killed celiacs just like today, and caused a similar spectrum of other health problems, just at a lower level than today, due both to the genetics and lower consumption. Diabetes ramped up with wheat yields, and has been accelerating out of control since 1985.

Eating gluten-bearing grains is a 10,000 year old error. We can thank the aggressively toxic modern semi-dwarf hybrid “wheat” for making that error more apparent.

But the point of pointing out the difference is that if you think you are eating what was known as “wheat” before 1985, you are mistaken, seriously, sometimes fatally. I suspect the Doctor hammers this point to get people to take a look the science.

• wrotek says:

Are You saying Dr Davis criticizes not only wheat but genetic modification of foods ?

I’ll let the doctor speak for himself, but my concern is results, and not so much methods.

If a toxin is sold as “food”, it doesn’t really matter if it was created by:
          * accelerated seasonal selection
          * hybridization
          * chemically induced random mutation and selection
          * radiation-induced random mutation and selection
          * explicit gene insertion
          And modern semi-dwarf hybrid “wheat” was created by using all but the last of those.

Farmers, ag schools and seed growers have always caused genetic bias by seasonal selection of the natural drift. This has been slow enough to reveal any [new] problems as human food.

What Big Grain has done has resulted in rapid and radical changes, including changes that probably could not happen naturally (on less than geological timescales, anyway).

That might not be a problem if they published the results of their long-term food safety tests of this product against, say, a low-carb grain-free diet. Either they didn’t, or they are sitting on the results.

We have seen the results of no testing whatever, other than rigged contests of whole grain techno-wheat vs. refined techno-wheat, in a diet so noisy with toxins that it’s amazing the even the small reported difference was measurable.

• wrotek says:

Maybe we are not being able to say whether older wheat was toxic, since it was not available for long time ?

Ah, Boundless, you are a true godsend!

Thanks for your very capable help!

6. Lisa says:

Great video clip. One thing that you could possibly address on this blog is the hidden wheats and starches in foods that you would not think would contain starches and how to read ingredient labels. Some things I’ve noticed recently are potato starch in my shredded cheese and tapioca starch in my almond milk. It really upsets me when these foods should be “safe” foods for me to eat when avoiding wheat; yet, they contain starches to prevent caking or to protect flavor. Luckily, there are solution to these problems – finding other brands without starches and shredding your own cheese. Just a thought. Hidden starches are really a problem and something that upsets me to realize!

Good thought, Lisa.

A good rule of thumb: Don’t trust anything processed and assume that it contains something that shouldn’t be there. If you assume it’s in nearly everything, you can be pleasantly surprised on those rare occasions when it’s NOT!

7. Chris says:

Dr Davis, I’ve read and enjoyed your book, I’m starting on my journey to a wheat free diet. I’ve already cut down my consumption of wheat and I’m suffering far less from afternoon fatigue that has been plaguing me for the last couple of years.

I have a bit of a science question, how is fat broken down by the body in a non-ketogenic state? Let’s say i’m in a small calorie deficit, and my diet if 30% carbs, 40% fat, 30% protein. If the body looks to burn glucose first, how is that 40% fat processed by the body?

Sorry, Chris, but I don’t understand the question. Can you restate?

• Chris says:

How does the body use fat calories when not in ketosis?

> How does the body use fat calories when not in ketosis?

Badly?
          Can I ask why you ask?
          A WB-friendly diet appears to be a ketogenic diet, in which the fat is metabolized.

Keeping one foot in the glycemic world, and the other in the ketogenic, could be a problem. We already know what a glycemic-dominant diet leads to, even on a low fat diet.

8. Pingback: Wheat Belly on CBS This Morning | Wheat Belly Blog « into ewe

9. Dee says:

I just saw the CBS video last week on a whim because a running buddy whose wisdom I respect mentioned the book to me a few weeks ago. Based on my friend’s suggestion and the information that you beautifully conveyed in the interview, I purchased the book. I started to quit wheat immediately after watching the video and before the book arrived (amazon). I lost 4 pounds in the first 4 days! I just started reading the book and I can so relate to your description of a typical client you see who feels like they have a very healthy lifestyle – eats the right stuff like whole foods and rare sugar, exercises (runs) about an hour a day, etc. Thank you! I’m “eating” the knowledge up so to say!

10. Peter Clark says:

Dear Dr Davis,
    Many thanks for the book and blog.

Modern wheat was ‘engineered’ over the last few 70 years or so, without the use of genetic engineering as we understand it nowadays. Does the fact that such wheat is implicated in many diseases because of that modification support the notion that modern GMO for food is a very bad idea?
    Peter

• regular says:

First of all, we need to be clear:
      1. This was not during the last 70 years, but in a very short period of time through the work of Norman Borlaug and others.
      2. “Engineering” is a word used for something that is purposefully constructed. Engineering is a single shot from a sniper gun. What was done to wheat resembles hundreds of shots from a shotgun.
      3. Calling this stuff “wheat” is like calling a human being an “ape”. Genetically, it is something totally distant.

In a recent comment on this site (http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/global-news-interview/comment-page-1/#comment-19378), user “Boundless” calls wheat “a 10,000 year old dietary Faustian Bargain” where we traded a relatively disease-free precivilisatory state for easy access to a durable foodstuff. So GMO is a little less worse than the current state of affairs, but it’s not making the food unhealthy; our “civilized” diet already is.

> … that modification support the notion that modern GMO for food is a very bad idea?
      Here’s a reader opinion.
      First, let’s be sure of our terms:
      GMO: Genetically Modified Organism – is narrowly defined by Big Food to mean that explicit gene insertion was used to mutate the product.
      ARMAS: Aggressive Random Mutation And Selection – is an acronym I just made up to describe what was done in the case of “wheat” (which is not [yet] a GMO). This includes radiation, chemo, hybridization and accelerated growing seasons.

My view is that both are risky, but that GMO is actually more controlled than ARMAS.

The ARMAS techniques that made current techno-triticale brought in who-knows-what genetic junk that has unpredictable metabolic consequences. We can see the immediate results of consuming this stuff, and some of the chronic, but it may yet contain additional time bombs.

Would I prefer a GMO crop? No. I don’t personally feel the need to be RoundUp Ready, nor to express bacillus thuricide to kill insects that land on me. And if you think that RU doesn’t get into what you eat, learn about the off-schedule abuse of it to control crop maturation.

A plague on both their houses,
      for they are both a plague on us.

11. Susan C says:

Hello Dr. Davis,

After reading your book “Wheat Belly” I started my wheat free / gluten diet on July 1st!
    Today is October 16th and I must say I have never felt better!
    I have been a vegetarian ( who eats some fish once in awhile) for 41 years. Carbs were definitely a big
    part of my diet and so was pasta. ( I do eat eggs for the protein )
    Since no bread, pasta,crackers, chips, sweets,cheese or dairy and now no gluten…..I feel so much better!
    I am not bloated any more. I have lost 6 pounds ( 134 to 128) without even trying. I have lost 2.5 inches off my waist!!
    My memory seems much better…
    Most of all my psoriasis is 90% cleared up!!!!!!!!!!!! That is amazing in itself!

I had done a “test” and cooked pasta one night ~ what a mistake! It tasted so good going down but before bed I began to bloat and had a horrible nights sleep and was bloated for 2 days after!
    Never again ! I will never eat that again!

Thank you so much for opening my eyes to a better diet !

12. Mia says:

Dear Dr. Davis,

I love you.

Wheat Belly has changed my life, and I am telling everyone I know about it, and even giving it as gifts for Christmas. You are my hero!

Well . . . I love you, too, Mia!

That’s great. Please don’t be shy about telling what you’ve experienced.

13. Rose says:

What about organic wheat?

Organic wheat, I fear, Rose, is poison without added herbicide or pesticide.

All the undesirable components like gliadin that acts as an opiate, amylopectin A that makes you diabetic, and wheat germ agglutinin that is a direct intestinal toxin, are still there.