No grain, no pain

Carla tells this story of relief from a peculiar body-wide pain sans wheat:

It has been about 2 months of Wheat Belly diet. I am astounded with my results.

What prompted me to embark on this was my pain. My muscles were constantly in pain. I felt like my muscles were on fire. There wasn’t a piece of me that did not hurt. I took 6-8 Ibuprophen a day to try to manage the discomfort and some nights still be up walking the floor in pain.

I also had numerous “crisis” events lasting more than a week where my blood pressure spiked as high as 225/115. My doctor suggested a third blood pressure medication and I said WHY is this doing this–adding more drugs just cannot be the answer.

I’ve taken cholesterol lowering meds and hypertensive meds since age 40 (17 years) because I had such a strong family history of cardiac disease. The doctor kept saying it was just bad genes.

So within about 2 weeks I had virtually no pain. I haven’t taken an ibuprophen in weeks. I am no longer hungry all the time. But it is the stunning plummet in my blood pressure that has made me adhere to this change. My blood pressure recently on ACE inhibitor + diuretic was, on average, 145/95, heart rate 80. Lately my blood pressure is averaging 110/60 and my heart rate 60 on just the ACE–guess we need to eliminate that now too!

I’m about to have my blood work checked. I already know it will be improved. I just haven’t enjoyed the weight loss even without any gluten free goodies. I did a “test” with one dinner roll: Within 2 hours Abdominal pain, distension and diarrhea, same with some rice a few days later. It’s hard to believe these results but the numbers speak for themselves. The pain can be subjective but not the recordings! (Although my GP is still skeptical!) Thank you for making this information public!

The ways that this perfect chronic poison called “wheat” can express itself in the humans who consume it is truly incredible: muscle pain, hypertensive crises, abdominal pain, diarrhea? Imagine if Carla had continued to rely on her doctor (lose the doctor, by the way, Carla!) and was resigned to a lifetime of bagel- and pretzel-induced suffering, a life of pain, living on anti-inflammatory drugs that cause bleeding ulcers and kidney disease, as well as the long-term consequences of hypertension (that develop in spite of blood pressure medication).

As I often say, life without wheat is a 2 + 2 = 11 effect: The total is greater than the sum of the parts. Despite all the reasons we already know to tell us why modern wheat destroys health, I still marvel at the new lessons we continue to learn on just how varied the wheat effect can be. And, Carla: Stay tuned for more discussion on what to do if weight fails to drop when wheatless!

This entry was posted in Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to No grain, no pain

1. Suzanne says:

I´m from Sweden and I have dabbled in LowCarbHighFat for 4 years now. I haven´t had much success as I have constantly succumbed to eating sweets and cookies and what have you. However I have sort of bided my time and followed some blogs and read alot. In May I read Wheat Belly and decided that if nothing else I would definately cut out all the grain I possibly could.. Since August I have more succesfully than before managed to cut out most of the other “crap” things i put in my mouth. I also started out lacing my morning coffee with ecological coconutoil and butter which when mixed gives you a delicious Caffe Latte. This is my breakfast. Be careful about the amound of Coconut oil you start with as some people can get adverse effects from it. Start with half a teaspoon and work your way up. I am also cutting back on protein (I am not a tall person and I´m 56 yrs old) and I get most of my carbs from vegetables. I am not completely dairy free. The results so far are meagre BUT I do lose a little weight every week and my stomach when lying down i almost flat and happy! I try to cut out fruit completely, it does contain mainly of sugar anyway. Berries with full fat cream are a safer bet if you need to indulge.
    Comparing to the Swedish way of lowcarbeating you do seem to still consume a fair amount of carbs in the US. And not so much fat. I`d like to recommend Dr Andreas Eenfeldt´s blog in English: dietdoctor.com. You can also find his interviews with for instance Robert Lustig, Gary Taubes and Mark Sisson on Youtube.
    To Dr Davis: Thanks for your good work! I read your blog everyday and I recommend your book to all my friends. I´m also slowly getting my youngest daughter to realise that perhaps it´s not the smartest thing in the world to eat a lot of grass when you are allergic to it. Just wish I could get through to her type 1 Diabetic boyfriend too…

Dr. Eenfeldt is a wonderful source of very credible information. He is a good friend of mine and I’ve enjoyed his company when we’ve spent some time together.

You are absolutely correct: Carb consumption is wildly out of control and the reason why the U.S. leads the world in obesity and number of diabetics. It is truly tragic that it has been the official advice to “cut the fat and eat more healthy whole grains” that has, to a large degree, caused this incredible health disaster.

2. Sarah says:

I am an avid reader of your blog. I found this article in the 5-Books Interview which I thought you would find interesting. It appears that ‘we’ have known for over 150 years that grains/carbohydrates make you fat! Here is the link to the interview:

Yes, much of this was “common knowledge” years ago, when people learned by observing, not by listening to the pronouncements of agencies like our USDA or the advice of dietitians!

3. Uncle Roscoe says:

Hi Dr. Davis,

One of the biggest mainstream news headlines for the last two weeks has been the illness and death which have been caused by fungus contamination of prepackaged spinal steroid vaccinations. The vaccinations were manufactured at a Boston compounding “pharmacy”. Obviously the facility is actually a manufacturing plant which operates under the laws which allow compounding pharmacies.

I don’t consider myself a conspiracy nut, but some trends are simply hard to separate. Some questions are simply hard to keep from asking.

Compounding pharmacies (CP’s) are giant thorns in the sides of giant pharmaceutical drug companies. Compounding pharmacies’ most lucrative operations lie in re-dosing and re-packaging prescription drugs types which are old enough to be out of patent, for off-label use. All of these applications are cheaper than patented drugs. Most of them are more effective.

The contamination issue has caused the Boston CP plant to shut down operations. The FDA and congress are holding hearings, and threatening to clamp down on compounding pharmacies, and on the laws which allow off-label sales of prescription drugs.

Over the last couple of years one of the biggest CP markets has become sale of low-dose naltrexone (LDN). High-dose naltrexone, an orally-administered drug, was patented and accepted for treatment of opiate overdoses. Low-dose naltrexone is used for a massive array of autoimmune conditions …..diabetes, schizophrenia, autism, graves disease, chrons disease, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and cancer ……diseases caused by food sugars and opiates like the ones in wheat.

LDN works in conditions where patented on-label drugs either have no effect, or have negative effects. In other words LDN represents a massive threat to the massive profits which Big Pharma is now raking in on sales of patented junk pharmaceuticals.

What are the chances that Big Pharma played a part in creating the conditions which now threaten the sales of low-dose naltrexone?

Well, I’ll be damned, Uncle Roscoe: The very same thought ran through my head!

Compounding pharmacies are indeed a thorn in the side of Big Pharma, who has repeatedly tried to legislate them out of existence. I use compounding pharmacies with some frequency and find them helpful, so never to compound an injectable or intrathecal (injection into spinal fluid) compound.

I am hoping that rational minds prevail and recognize that, at most, better oversight might be in order. I am hoping that compounding pharmacies are allowed to just do their job, though with some safeguards and better oversight put in place via Federal regulations, not just state regulations (or lack thereof).

4. Bettye says:

Thank you for the many discussions Dr. Davis and fellow wheat bellies!
    I am one of you and just beginning a more strict regimen. I have struggled with wheat products while in denial since my Italian mother and grandmother could shove pastina into my mouth in the high chair. Diets and pills and all that kept my weight in tow while I was a nursing student and subsequently an ICU-CCU nurse. In my forties I was ultimately challenged with pre-menopausal heavy bleeding despite my efforts to walk the treadmill , bounce on the trampoline and ski down mountains, no weight was coming off. When I hit menopause full on MURDER. Age 53 the bleeding stopped and my energy dipped, my depression increased but I suppressed it with more work and activities that would lift my spirits like all good menopausal women. My husband is a Doctor of Chiropractic, a holistic very advanced energetic medicine guy who always had my back but until he jumped into his main love, nutrition, I did not see or feel I had hope. His manner thru intense training complimented his already bright mind to see and explore and discover better ways to get to the cellular response. His Tx is NRT- nutritional response testing with remedy of pure whole food supplements that have been revered by all professions for a century. Even that, with all the faithfulness of it and gluten free diet for 7 yrs, no weight loss and inflammation barely kept at bay because truth be told, I found ways to cheat on the diet — be good one day or three days then some kind of corn, wheat or dairy became my fascination. It is an addiction I feel, that was well programmed genetically and from infancy. I could doctor up any food and make it taste great, but now I am at the point of no return. I am a wheat belly and hate myself for it. I decided to eliminate all grains, even rice. That meant no Trader Joe’s brown rice bread with the great seeds and no dairy or soy in there. That was my toast and I will be toast if I do not end it. I am exploring all the no grain blogs and recipes for comfort and hope and ability to change my life. I am doing other things to support this but about food and wheat, it does change the brain matter our first brain and our second brain, the gut. I write the blogs and believe in it but now change must come forth for ME. I do recommend you dairy-holics there is Pecorino Romano cheese which is sheep and Goat Gouda which is goat, SO Delicious brand of coconut creamer for the coffee and for sugarholics, there is coconut palm sugar which is the nectar of the coconut fruit and pretty much tests okay for most people in our practice. I have a friend that only cooks with almond or coconut flour so I am going in that direction since brown rice or white rice flour does not work for me.
    Many blessings to all in your quest aligning with mine. I find I can glean from all. Thank you!

Think, Bettye, of all those people on the vents, ET tubes taped in place, on CPAP, multiple IVs, Swans, hemofiltration, etc., who had nothing more than the end-stage of wheat consumption!

This tragic food has destroyed the lives–ENDED the lives–of far too many people. It is time to put a stop to it.

5. Julie Stratton says:

I have been struggling with intestinal issues all my life. One doctor told me I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. No testing was done, he just told me that was what I had. Stop eating greasy foods he said. A friend recommended that I read Wheat Belly, so I bought it and started to read. I was astounded. Just within the first couple chapters, I was ready to begin eating wheat-free. I started a gluten-free diet two months ago, and I am amazed at the results I am getting. Not only have I lost 16 pounds, my intestinal distress has completely disappeared. I am regular for the first time in my whole life. My energy level has increased, I am not as irritable as I used to be and I haven’t had one single headache, when I used to get them two or three days a week. My cholesterol dropped fron 275 to 199 as well. My husband doesn’t believe that just cutting wheat from my diet is what made all these changes. Well, I decided to to “test” it myself, and ate a sandwich on whole wheat bread. Within two hours, I was cramping and running to the bathroom every five minutes. Reading Dr. Davis’ book has changed my life. I no longer have to be tied to my bathroom. I can go out and enjoy the things I love to do without making sure there’s a bathroom nearby. I was tested for Celiac disease, since all my symptoms disappeared with removal of wheat, but was found negative. I only wish I had known about this years ago. I could have saved myself a lot of pain and discomfort, not to mention depression at times. I am so thankful to Dr. Davis for writing this book, and opening my eyes to the dangers of wheat. My 73 year old mother, who has diabetes and RA, decided to try this diet as well, and her blood sugars have dropped tremendously. She says the RA pain is improving too. We will remain gluten-free for good, and we are feeling so much better as a result.

I believe your experience has pretty much encapsulated the entire book, Julie!

Yes, it certainly can change the course of your life for the better. Your story is such a wonderful summary of what happens to so many people that I’d like to post as a blog post!

• Julie Stratton says:

Thank you for commenting on my story. I made the mistake of having a couple of pieces of pie on Thanksgiving, and was sick the entire next day. Never again will I stray from my gluten free diet. Thank you so much, Dr. Davis, for opening my eyes. I feel like a new person, and a much healthier one at that!

Yup. Avoid the stuff like the plague, Julie, because it’s poison!

• Wouldn’t it be acceptable to eat the pumpkin & whip-cream and leave the wheat-toxic crust behind as long as you’re not diabetic since there would probably be sugar in both pumpkin and possibly the whip cream–but both are far better options than the flour crust. Like a candy bar vs. wheat!

Well, sugar is bad for everybody. Non-diabetics are potential future diabetics!

Please see the recipe on this blog for pumpkin pie–perfectly safe with no added sugar.