Just add water: Instant diabetes reversal

Teresa posted this wonderful comment of diabetes reversed within 48 hours of losing the wheat:

I just recently started this new lifestyle after reading the book about 12 days ago. I was a type 2 diabetic on Metformin and Byetta [injections].

I am now down 12 pounds (yes, 12 pounds), COMPLETELY off my medication (as of day TWO) because my blood sugars are that of a normal person (between 74 and 86 fasting and under 120 after meals). I never thought that possible.

Every time I went to the doctors, they never asked how I was eating, just how the medicine was working.

Also, I know it may be TMI, but I hadn’t had a NORMAL bowel movement in a long time. It was always on the runny side (I know gross, but I chalked it up to my medicine).

I can think more clearly, my mood is more stabilized and the biggest thing is, for the FIRST time in my life, I actually KNOW when I am hungry and when I am not hungry. I was about to speak to my doctor about appetite suppressants because no matter what I did, I was constantly hungry.

This is not just a diet, it is a new way of life and if you don’t look at it that way and think you can just do this for a little while, you are WRONG.

Admittedly, Teresa’s experience proceeded faster than usual. But her story is a wonderful example of just how powerful this approach can be.

Eat the wheat with its gliadin protein and experience incessant, around-the-clock hunger. Eat the wheat with its amylopectin A and experience sky-high blood sugars. Eat the wheat with its gliadin and experience body-wide inflammation that, among many other consequences, causes water retention. Eat the wheat with the gliadin that “unlocks” the normal intestinal barriers, allowing foreign substances into the bloodstream, while also allowing water to leak into the bowel itself and causing bowel urgency and diarrhea.

Hunger, increased appetite for carbohydrates, higher blood sugar and insulin, inflammation, water retention, autoimmunity, diarrhea–all from “healthy whole grains.” It ALL adds up to reversing diabetes, sometimes as quick as 48 hours.

This entry was posted in Diabetes, Gliadin. Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Just add water: Instant diabetes reversal

1. Katie says:

I was on 25 units Lantus am/pm and Novolog as needed. I am also taking 1000 mg Metformin twice daily, and Amaryl 2 mg in am. I have since weaned myself off of the Lantus since starting WB 9/12, and then my Dr took me off of Amaryl. Since that time, my bs hovers around 200, fasting. (I have lost 19 lbs since 9/12 and will remain on WB the rest of my life). My Dr now wants to put me back on Amaryl, and even said I might have to go back on Lantus! I do not agree with him. I plan to cut my carbs as low as I can go now, and NO fructose at all. What is your recommendation, Dr Davis? (I should add, I also take heart meds from when my heart went into Afib in 2007, corrected by cardioversion. Then back into Afib in 2011, corrected by cardioversion 3/12. I take sotalol 80 mg daily, cardizem cd 240 mg daily, lisinopril 20 mg daily, and furosemide 40 mg as needed along with potassiumCL 20 meq). I wanted to include this info FYI.
    I believe my heart problems either started due to menopause or a side effect of the diabetes meds. What is your recommendations, Dr Davis… I see both Drs in November and would like to be prepared!!

2. Katie says:

What your doctors likely do not know, Katie, is that blood sugars tend to be elevated during active weight loss. This is due to the flood of fatty acids that fill the bloodstream, the result of mobilizing stored energy from fat stores.

It means that, as weight loss slows or plateaus, blood sugars will improve markedly. So part of the weight loss process is temporary elevation of blood sugar. Problem: Many of my colleagues rarely if ever see weight loss and do not understand what it looks like. And note that going back on Lantus will likely REVERSE weight loss and substantially impair your ability to become less or NON-diabetic.

In addition to considering some new doctors, also consider finding a doctor to work with you on cutting your other drugs, especially furosemide/potassium. The farther along you go, the less diuretics we need. Note that wheat is incredibly water and salt-retaining; lose the wheat, lose the water/salt retention and the need for diuretics dissipates at least partially, if not entirely.

The sotalol can impair weight loss but this is one that cannot be stopped without allowing reversion to A. Fib.

• Katie says:

Thank you Dr Davis. Are you saying that I’ll be on the Sotalol for the rest of my life? Also, I should have mentioned, I have over 100+ lbs to lose, so does that mean my bs will continue to be high until I achieve it, or will it lower as Im losing? I will remain on the metformin, but I will not go back on the insulin or the Amaryl. I realize I need to find another Dr to work with, but that may take some time. Could you also tell me what current tests to ask for from my Cardiologist next month (he always does an EKG), and also what tests to ask for from my Primary Dr (for diabetes), i.e. labs. Thankyou!

No, not for life necessarily, Katie. It really depends on your tendency to return to A Fib, which varies, something we cannot settle here.

Yes, blood sugar will remain high as long as weight loss is ongoing, then it plummets. The flood of fatty acids that develop during weight loss really blocks insulin’s effects. No way around that except . . . liposuction!

• Katie says:

thankyou again Dr Davis!
            Liposuction? I don’t think so. LOL
            So, is it okay to have a fasting BS of 200 while I’m losing (which will take months if not a year) to lose it all.? I already take 2 metformin (2000 mg daily), and cinnamon….and of course, I am wf/gf/sf.

Could you also tell me what current tests (lab or otherwise) to ask for from my Cardiologist next week. Also what tests to ask for from my Primary Dr (for diabetes). Thankyou! (Then I can stop bothering you)

• K. O. says:

Hi
      I would like to add if may. Pending on your overall potassium levels due to the ability of your kidneys you may want to try juicing 2 – 4 celery stalks per day. As well as dandelion root ground up added together with blended greens work great a a natural diuretic. And yes add sea salt too.
      Celery juice is as close to our own blood make up out any plant in the plant world.
      And yes, even myself after 25 years of all sorts of different variations of fluid retention I once saw none after complete elimination of wheat n grains. Even my ring is now on and off with ease.

• Katie says:

thank you KO, that was very kind of you to share that with me!! I used to be an avid juicer (even have a Norwalk!…and a Champion and GreenLife!) I only take that water pill ‘as needed’ instead of every day. I haven’t had to take any lately, and the only time I do if I notice my ankles swelling a bit, and that is usually from sitting with my legs dangling too long. But, I’d rather do the celery juice, etc., so thankyou so much….really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Katie

• K. O. says:

Katie

Also it’s better to drink slowly, and spread it out a bit as well.
          When you have swelling, think about how much sodium you have had, cause it may be you need to increase your salt, Sea salt.
          If your craving salt, you probably need salt…. But remember to drink too.
          We have two spaces that hold water, our tissues and such, and our vascular system ( blood supply ) With out the proper amount of salts its very difficult for the body to move fluid efficiently.
          Try out a little at time, don’t get too discouraged or look for quick vast improvements. It’s all about practice and time.

K O

3. Rex says:

Dr. Davis your book was written for me! I just turned 60 years old. I have struggled with my weight all of my life. My Mother passed away at 70 years old with heart failure. I have high blood sugar and hypercholesterolemia with high triglycerides and very low HDL which are markers of my family history. Recently, I heard of your book on a local talk show and it intrigued me. I took early retirement from a top pharmaceutical company that launched three statin products, multiple ACE’s and ARBs and the top selling DPP4 product for type II diabetes. I admit that I was very skeptical of your book as I constantly seek scientific results from double blinded, placebo controlled, randomized, controlled clinical trials. I was blown away by the scientific references in your book. I am a true believer in the results your patients have shown. I have been following WheatBelly for 6 weeks and have seen an 11 pound weight loss. In addition, my blood sugar has dropped from 170 to just over 100 on a daily basis. I have lost nearly two full pants sizes. Amazing! For the first time I fully understand the development of Small Dense LDL particles. Thank you for writing this amazing book. I truly believe I will be able to beat the threat of Type II Diabetes in my life!

Excellent, Rex!

Getting rid of diabetes is no small matter. You can see how the focus on pharmaceuticals as “solutions” for diabetes leads you astray, when a cheap, safe, and natural alternative was available to you all along. Just from a cost comparison, think of the different: $500 or so per month for diabetes drugs versus eating food. And you likely added something like 8 years to your life.

4. Susan Graham says:

Well I got the phone call my MD was in a panic because my Total Cholesterol was 265 and triglycerides was 175 and HDL were elevated as well. I chatted with you about these as they were drawn just a week into the diet. My blood sugar was 104 and they are all upset about that as well. Now three weeks into the diet I test sugar with glucometer and fasting it was 120 and 2 hrs after lunch was 126. My TSH is also elevated at 5.28. Now in the above post you mentioned that my blood sugar could stay high. I am not losing that much weight but definitely feel like I have lost inches . I am not tremendously overweight so dont expect to drop 5lbs a week. Guess my question is in my situation since I am not dropping a tremendous amount of weight when should I expect to see my blood sugar decrease if it is going to. At what point do I give in and get on meds?
    Thanks
    Susan

5. Susan Graham says:

4th week on diet. Blood sugar down last week it was 124 fasting. Today it was 98 2hrs after lunch. Yah.

6. donna. g says:

Dear Dr. Davis
    I luckily found this forum and have, I believe settled a bit of my worry regarding my blood sugars rising. Now Jan 24, I cut my smoking down to less than 1/2 of what it was before Dec 1 and started the Wheat Belly ‘journey’ about 2 weeks ago. After having suffered a month of intense arthritic pain in my hands from ‘life’ and eating anything I within reach. I’d heard about your book/s last year but didn’t act on it and read them, and in the past 2 weeks I am astounded at the positive results I’m experiencing. NO pain whatsoever and I have continued to work online/research, and do my mosaic crafting. I am not lethargic, have more energy, no bloating, my sinuses cleared up and hence a nagging cough. I’m sleeping better and feel almost *20* again. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for having read your book (still reading) and eliminating wheat products. Two years ago I suffered severe stomach pains and everything that I ate other than meats, would bring it on. After blood tests, and even a stomach scope the specialist couldn’t pinpoint it so I began reducing ‘wheat’ products then but resorted to gluten free recipes laden with starches. Almost off those, I still am perplexed as to why my blood sugar level hovers between 10 and 13 even after 30 minutes of exercise and no refined sugars. But after reading the above posts I think I’ll just give it a few more weeks to see if it drops. I was/am just so frustrated thinking that the blood sugar, if anything should decline if anything. thanks.

• Pip Power says:

Hi Lady,

If you had Diabetic neuropathy in both feet 24/7, you would have something to complain about. The worst part is at night, when one is not active, you can feel the nerves tingling all over your feet. I got my Diabetic neuropathy the week I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Most people have to wait 10 to 20 years for theirs to happen, but my BSL was 84 (European Standard) and I was minutes from going into a coma and because I live alone, that was the end for me. But a kidney stone moved during the night & blocked my water system & forced me to go to casualty.

They had to inject me with medicine that on the one hand cured my High Blood Pressure, but activated my Diabetic neuropathy. All this happened during a time I lost 4 siblings within a 24 month period, the last by suicide. We had looked after another brother for 25 years, the victim of a Hit & Run, who received serious head injury. I drank a bottle of Rum & Coke a day & listened to Waylon Jennings to deal with the Blues, while my brother bottled it all up inside & finally he couldn’t take it anymore.

To say I was depressed is an understatement. I was put on Effxor for depression & Lyrica for Diabetic neuropathy. I soon began to feel side effects and took myself of them. PFIZER were fined $5 billion because their senior researcher was falsifying his research results. Effxor & Lyrica were 2 of the drugs he falsified research on and no one knows how many people suicided because of him & his false research.

I share this with you & others to help you to carry on, as I have done and as Waylon said, “Never say die”! and let us “go out Rocking”!

God bless you & keep you strong!

7. Cheri says:

Good way of telling, and good paragraph to obtain
    facts on the topic of my presentation topic, which i am going to deliver
    in college.

Also visit my webpage: Cheri

8. Kimberley P. says:

I’m confused about the blood sugar/weight loss correlation. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Sept of 2012. My highest measured blood sugar was 405. I have dropped almost 60 lbs in that time. My blood sugar has not been measured above 125 in over 4 months. My diagnosis A1C was 11. My most recent A1C (in late January) was 5.5. I have cut gluten, lactose, any form of sugar not found naturally in foods, artificial sweetners, caffiene except for one 16 oz cup of tea in the morning. I am on meds still. I would like to stay on meds until I can maintain an A1C around 5-5.5 for 6 months. My blood sugar went down with weight loss, not up.

Well, that’s how it’s supposed to work, Kimberley!

There can be a temporary rise in blood sugar with weight loss, but it then subsides and drops.

9. Joan Kinateder says:

I have been type 1.5 diabetes for one year. I do exercise and diet. I read your book and have been off
    wheat for over a month. My post meal sugars are always in the 200 range. I just eat nuts, meat, avacadoes
    and vegetables. I was 100 pounds when I was diagnosed. I am still 100 pounds. I exercise between 1 1/2 to
    2 hours a day to control my diabetes. I feel I am ready for medication as I am 63 years. I was first put on
    Lantus as my sugar was 741. I was on Metformin for almost two months, then diet and exercise. Now, when
    I tried Metformin, I get horrid side effects. I went from eating 45 carbs each meal to around 20 per meal
    after I read your book. Here is my question…if I cut back to 10 carbs per meal, will it give my pancreas
    a rest and maybe a chance to heal. Will I stop making those darn antibodies which are destroying my beta
    cells….just wondering what you thought. Thank you!