Global News interview

Here’s the interview I did with Global News’ Lynn Colliar during my visit to Vancouver just this past weekend.

While there, I also gave the keynote speech to the British Columbia Naturopathic Association, an enlightened and health-savvy audience! (Not video recorded, however.) Several of the docs asked me to provide a recorded video that they could use to educate their patients in these concepts. Not a bad idea!

This entry was posted in Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Global News interview

1. Brooke says:

Thank you for being such a life charger. I’m on week three and you have changed my life huge so far. 17 lbs down and have passed the book on to over 10 people in three weeks.
    I now blog my success and I feel amazing and more confident.

If you ever come to Ontario I’d love to hear you speak.

Brooke.

• Dee says:

Brooke, congrats on loss, can you tell me, do you have a lot to lose? I only have 20lbs to lose so I’m assuming my losses will be much slower?

• Brooke says:

I have 60 more lbs to go. So yes. 20 will be harde. But definitely doable. The wheat belly is my new lifestyle and I love it. Good luck dee :)

• Candice says:

I’ve lost 5.5 pounds since Sept 8th, which is major for me because it was almost effortless–no hunger. Didn’t have very much to lose, as I started out at 115 (5ft). So be encouraged, because it does work.

2. Lynda says:

Great interview – very easily understood and good points covered. I hate that people assume no wheat means gluten free!! The whole world seems to be turning gluten free thinking that is the problem.

3. JoAnne says:

Dr D – Great interview! And I’d like to ask for a recorded video I could use to educate my medical doctor! :)
    I was sharing WB with my sister-in-law who is struggling with seriously high blood pressure. A few days ago she had a really stressful day and her blood pressure rose to 170/90. By last night she got it down to 135/82, which is still high. She maintains a healthy weight, and exercises regularly. I’ve had trouble finding posts about high blood pressure. How does wheat contribute to blood pressure issues? I recall in a previous post (can’t find it now) that stated something to the effect that salt gets blamed for high blood pressure, but that something else is really going on and makes salt look like the culprit. . Can I ask for the short answer here? And maybe you could go into more detail about high blood pressure in a future post? Thanks!

• b-nasty says:

One thought I had was: how much carbohydrate is she still eating? Very low-carb diets are well-known to drastically reduce BP by changing how the body holds on to water and sodium. The last few times I was in the doctor’s office, they commeneted that my BP was the lowest they tested that day — I eat a VLC diet regularly. Phinney, et al. seem to think this is most pronounced at sub 50gCho levels.

• JoAnne says:

b-nasty — She does eat a high carb diet. I recently introduced her to Wheat Belly, so hopefully she can start taking steps in the right direction by getting rid of the wheat and going low carb too. Thanks for the info and the links too.

• lupo says:

Hello JoAnne,

i can only tell you from the insulin front what is going on:
      1. b-nasty is correct in saying that insulin works on the kidneys like aldosterone: Retain sodium and therefore water.
      2. In healthy individuals, insulin acts on the vascular inner cell layer (the endothelium) balancedly on relaxation and contraction of the vascular smooth muscle. In insulin-resistant individuals, the chronic hyperinsulinemia leads to adaptation of the “relaxing” molecular pathway, while overdriving the “contracting” pathway through the local hormone endothelin (Mather et al. “Insulin Action in the Vasculature: Physiology and Pathophysiology”, J Vasc Res 2001 38;415-22). Endothelin is the most vessel-constricting physiological agent that physiology knows of.

So, what happens is that there is more fluid in your closed vessel system (1) and the high-pressure arterial vessels have smaller diameters (=more resistance) (2). High blood pressure results.

Dr. Davis, anything that is special to wheat (read: other than amylopectin-induced hyperglycemia) that might contribute to hypertension?

Excellent insights, Lupo!

Other ways wheat contributes to hypertension:

1) Weight gain in visceral fat–which, of course, leads to resistance to insulin and worsens hyperinsulinemia
        2) Exaggerated postprandial production of lipoproteins–via carbohydrate-driven de novo lipogenesis, a very potent provocateur of endothelial dysfunction.
        3) Leptin resistance–via wheat germ agglutinin, though only demonstrated in a pig model, not humans.

Uncertain: Can wheat germ agglutinin and gliadin that enter the bloodstream have direct endothelial antagonizing effects? To my knowledge, no data, but that would be a very interesting avenue to pursue.

• lupo says:

PubMed tells me “opposite” stories:
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21494057 (loperamide lowers BP in Wistar rats)
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17497362 (beta-Endorphin increases ET-1)

So no data on WGA or Gliadin. Given that receptors have different affinities for different substances, one would have to do a separate study on WGA/Gliadin effects. Neither possible result would surprise me. Even if WGA/Gliadin induced a decreased vasoconstriction through cAMP/PKA, it is a rather small effect compared to the hyperinsulinemia-PI3K mediated endothelin overexpression and oversecretion.

4. JIllOz says:

Dr Davis,

that’s a very good introductory interview. Nice job.

Have you ever heard of Dr Richard mackarness?? He was a pioneer in allergy diagnosis and practice and recommended cereal-free eating for the obese.

i read his book Not All in the Mind years ago and started it again. Itr’s interesting to see his quoting of the Pennington study discussed in Taubes Good Calories Bad Calories.
    I found this book of his on the web which anybody can read and which recommends no carbs no sugar, just fat and meat and veg for obesity loss:

Eat Fat And Grow Slim
    by Richard Mackarness, M.B.,B.S. (1958)

Note the DATE of his book – 1958!

from the foreword:
    “Dr. Mackarness’s book is timely. It brings the important research work of Kekwick and Pawan into the sphere of everyday medicine, and it shines the torch of common sense into a corner that was becoming obscured with the dust of statistics and the cobwebs of scientific dogma. It bears a message of hope and good cheer to the plump. ”

Apart from anything else, the writing makes it an enjoyable reading experience.
    And just think – your book too brings “good cheer to the plump!” ;)

It is often amazing, Jill, that some of our most important lessons are really ones we are RElearning!

Sorry, never heard of him. But he was surely many decades before his time.

5. wrotek says:

I hear the sentence “wheat today is not as 40 yrs ago” . . How bad was wheat before modification ? Was is healthy ? I know t hat modification of plant gave it more gluten for example. so there was gluten in it before so it must have been still bad that time.

> How bad was wheat before modification ?
      Just as aggressive for celiacs, perhaps less for everyone else.
      Still a main cause of the utterly avoidable carb response called diabetes.
      Wheat is a 10,000 year old dietary Faustian Bargain. The late 20th century changes finally made it easier for someone to solidly connect the dots on wheat and health.

Make that “Type II” diabetes. The jury is still out on whether anything can be done to reduce or eliminate Type I.

• wrotek says:

I know a guy – Andrew Bauman, who reduced type 1 diabetes with hydration protocol watercure2.org. U may want to contact him if You are interested. He is not get rid of it, but he still eats “healthy whole grains”.

good luck

• Heidi says:

A recent medical report out of Denmark details the 20-month remission from Type I diabetes in a boy diagnosed at the age of 5 yr 10 months. He went gluten-free and has been diabetes-free ever since. Imagine if he was grain-free! I hope this encourages parents to exclude grains from their children’s diets from the get-go.

6. andrea says:

I listened to your lecture at the convention last weekend-it was fantastic! Thank you for all the wonderful information.

Thank you, Andrea!

You are part of a great group of people. I was impressed at the intensity, the attention, and the interest in exploring new ideas, something that doesn’t always happen at meetings of my colleagues.

7. Jeanine says:

Last year at my annual physical, I was nearly obese, prehypertension (even though I was running 3 times a week), and my CHOL/HDL ratio was fairly high. I generally felt run down, and was really disappointed with my weight and statistics. I wanted to change, but I didn’t know how – other than to try a low calorie diet and overexercise and give up after a few weeks when it wasn’t working. A friend mentioned Gary Taubes, and I became obsessed about reading about nutrition and that’s how I found Wheat Belly nearly a year ago.

Today, I went back for my annual physical and for the first time ever – excited about what the scale was going to show. 40 pounds lost exactly! The nurse was flabbergasted and kept asking me questions about how I did it, and what I ate. I told her about Wheat Belly. The nurse was so excited about my weight loss, she forgot what my blood pressure was, and I had to remind her that it was 110/60 – well within normal range. I had my cholestorol checked, even though it wasn’t required because I wanted to compare to last years disappointing results. My doctor was also excited, and again asked me how I did it. I’ve been telling everyone who asks how I lost weight about Wheat Belly, so I hope I’m helping to spread the word.

That’s wonderful, Jeanine!

You averted cholesterol drugs, hypertension drugs, and size 24 dresses . . . all by doing the OPPOSITE of what conventional advice tells you to do!

Nicely done!

• Cathy says:

Congrats! I’d love to hear your cholesterol results. And, did you take iodine/ kelp supplements?

8. Sands says:

Dear Doctor Davies,
    I wish I had this information in 2004 when I gestational diabetes. The nutritionist gave me all wrong information, really, and made my life hell. I was not allowed to eat anything sensible. I had the worst pregnancy experience ever and then after two years I developed pre-diabetic condition and was put on Metformin. It worked for sometime but then I started getting nausea and migraines. I complained and discussed and asked that could it be a because of metformin and was told to just take excedrin for headaches. I would wake up most of the days with nausea and most of my evening in migraines. And I just decided to do my own research to get the control back on my life. I was so worried about spending all my life like that. I am only 37 years old!! And following so many health experts on twitter, I happened to “accidentally” found you! So I discussed with it my husband, who suffer(ed) from chronic acidity and indigestion issues and had been prescribed Protonix, which he refused to take for his own reasons. We decided to give this lifestyle a try and its been a little over a month only and I am so pleased to share with you that I am no longer taking Metformin and my morning blood glucose is in the 80s every day and I have no nausea or migraine and my husband has no acidity issues. He is feeling so good and our days are so much better spent. We are vegetarians as that’s how we grew up so even after trying hard we are unable to eat meat though we are still strying :-), but do eat eggs and a lot of them! I went for my physical and told the doctor about the diet change and she jumped from her chair worrying about cholesterol and I just simply smiled and said let’s include it in the test. Next day I got an email saying “Your Cholesterol is excellent!!!!!” I only wish I had this information 20 years back and probably could have saved my dad who was such a resilient person and was ready to make any life changes to get rid of high sugars but of course we couldn’t provide him with the right information. We have now included our 7 year old daughter in the same lifestyle of no wheat (grains) and no processed food. The only thing made by anyone else we eat is “cheese”, otherwise my husband and my girl are at my mercy all the time …:-)
    Thank you so much!! I hope more people “understand” this and not treat it like a diet, coz its not. It’s a way of life which in the long runmakes things easier, though it may not appear when you begin!

That’s great, Sands!

How many women are given such awful advice, only to watch their health, lives, and weight deteriorate? How much ignorance is there in the medical system when, not only does the diet they advise prove ineffective, it actually makes the situation worse?

I’m glad you’ve found the answer!

9. Sands says:

I apologize for mis-spelling your name!

10. Heidi says:

Great interview! I am so glad that you are getting some attention in Canada (including the up-coming conference in Calgary). I hope policy-makers here will pay attention and make some needed changes.

11. Candice says:

I started the wheat belly recommendations on Sept 9, weighing 115 pounds (at 5 ft). Today I weighed in at 109.5. I’ve always eaten “well” (whole grains) and exercised usually 5 times per week but my weight hadn’t budged. Very pleased at my progress so far.