Food Network: FOOD FIGHT!

Dietitan and Food Network blogger, Toby Amidor, recently posted this review of Wheat Belly on the Food Network website.

Imagine walking into a room of former alcoholics and asking, “Anyone want a drink?”

Among the tidbits:

“The website [Wheat Belly Blog] (with its grotesque weight loss transformation of bikini-clad women) is free and has a recipe library, success stories, blog, and links to the Wheat Belly book, which sells for about $26.00. Other costs associated with the diet include the money lost when you toss all your wheat products and the notion of completely eliminating any sweets or processed goods FOREVER.”

“Many healthy foods are eliminated or significantly decreased including whole grains, fruits, and legumes (beans, peas and lentils). Many nutrients and variety is also limited or eliminated from the diet.”

“It is virtually impossible to follow this plan while traveling or dining out.”

“Going cold turkey isn’t an effective way to teach someone good habits. Many folks will stop this diet just as quickly as they started it.”

She then posted a request for others to post their experiences. Oh, boy: She got far more than she asked for. Just within a short time, over 250 comments were posted. Among the 250+ comments, I believe there was 1 that agreed, and then only partially. Among the comments posted:

Gourmet Girl:
I have lost 40 pounds in 3-1/2 months following this plan. I eliminated grains and sugar and it has been a breeze! I love it — it has been one of the easiest plans I have ever followed — no hunger or cravings whatsoever! In case you are wondering…there was no exercise involved in my 40-lb weight loss.

Healthy Girl:
I haven’t eaten wheat for almost 17 years. I’m at a normal weight for my height, rarely get sick, look 10 years younger than I really am, and have plenty of energy. Tell me again why eating wheat is necessary and how “unrealistic and unhealthy” this diet is?

Sue:
I am an absolute Wheat Belly convert as of 4 months ago. It is by far the easiest, most nutritious and delicious way to eat. My husband has lost 18lbs and I have lost 14lbs and we feel amazing both physically and emotionally. We are so glad that we discovered Dr Davis and Wheat Belly, this is so easy to sustain there is no question that it can be ‘for life’.

Nicole:
Wheat Belly is not impossible to follow. I started last winter and have been grain free since. I have ZERO desire to have grains because I feel so good. . I dare anyone to give up grains for 30 days, I bet people would be shocked on how good they feel. I no longer get migraines, acid reflux, joint pains, and my hair and skin look amazing! I am off my anxiety medicine as well. Consuming wheat is unhealthy plain and simple. Thanks Dr. Davis for educating everyone!!

Annie:
I’ve tried many ways of eating and LOVE following the wheat belly way. I have more energy, GONE are those horrible cravings for food, those hunger pangs which often led to cheating. – I’ve lost about 10 lbs, my IBS symptoms are gone, pain in legs and knees much reduced, watery eyes – gone, blocked nose symptoms – gone. My skin is clear and smooth and I actually look younger. I also sleep much better!

Try eliminating grains and see what happens. I dare you. Never again will I eat wheat – it’s not worth going back to pain and suffering.

Gretchen:
I truly hope that anyone who reads this baseless review of Wheat Belly also takes the time to read these comments! The Wheat Belly lifestyle is about SO MUCH MORE than weight loss! (This is coming from someone who has lost 27 lbs, and my husband has lost 37… the weight loss is real and easy and wonderful, but the best benefits are freedom from pain!)

Wheat is an extremely inflammatory substance which cannot be digested properly in the human body. Consuming wheat leads to all sorts of issues such as joint pain, migraines and headaches, acid reflux, allergies, sinus issues, digestive problems such as IBS, high LDL cholesterol, visceral weight gain, obesity, diabetes and MORE… seems like a pretty long list of ailments for a supposed “health food”! There aren’t any nutrients in wheat that cannot be found elsewhere in foods that do not have these terrible side effects. However, wheat is cheap, plentiful, subsidized by the government and keeps the pharmaceutical industry happy because they can dole out meds for all those above-mentioned maladies that are chronic due to the ongoing ingestion of a TOXIN. Remove the toxin, remove the need for meds.

Wheat is also addictive, and many people have to go through a detox and withdrawal period when they give it up. Ummm… other health foods don’t have withdrawal periods! When you go without broccoli or cheese for a week you don’t suffer because of it. That’s because wheat acts on the brain in the same way an opiate does! It is addictive and causes intense hunger cravings, which is why most people find actual freedom from food cravings for the first time in their lives when they are off the wheat. That is also the reason that the author of this article is completely mistaken when they say that people can’t do this long term. The exact OPPOSITE is true! My family has been off wheat since March, and it’s the easiest, smartest and most effective lifestyle change we have ever made. We will never eat wheat again, of our own free will.

The book does not promote fasting unless someone wants to do so (and some people love to!) … however, the lack of hunger definitely leads to eating fewer meals for most people. Also, we snack… it’s just that many times a snack may stand in for a meal because the appetite is just not out of control!

We eat out all the time, but we eat healthy foods… steak, seafood, baked or grilled chicken, bunless burgers, big beautiful salads or steamed veggies with butter, some soups. Maybe you can’t eat at fast food joints, but c’mon, what health plan suggests that you do?

And as for travel? It’s easier than ever because we aren’t having to stop for snacks all the time! Pack some cheese, hard-boiled eggs, nuts, chilled grilled meat, some berries, maybe chocolate chip cookies or cream cheese bars made with almond flour or coconut flour… easy peasy!

The notion of “Healthy Whole Grains” and a low fat diet has had its chance over the past 30 years, and it led to an out of control obesity and diabetes epidemic and a very happy Pharmaceutical industry. It’s time now to ditch the wheat, grains and sugars and up the fats while eating plenty of veggies, meats, nuts and cheeses with an occasional indulgence of fruit. Try it for a month before you bash it! There comes a time in life when even the most avid “believer” (dietician, doctor) needs to admit that they were wrong, and take comfort in the fact that they thought they were promoting truth, and it wasn’t their fault… but NOW is a different story. Nutritional science is proving that grains are damaging, and the thousands of anecdotal stories from people who feel amazing, back it up. When people’s lives are changed drastically and fundamentally for the better, they tend to be vocal about it.

Lori:
Such a disappointing article! I’ve lost 30 pounds by giving up wheat. The crunchy/salty cravings for crackers, cereal and toast I’ve had all my life are GONE! I swear to god I crave veggies now, I’m about to cook up some kale and spinach with onions and bacon. I usually only eat 2 meals a day because I just am not focused on having to constantly eat. It is so refreshing!

Emily:
70 lbs, all meds gone, pre diabetes gone, working really well for me!

Lisa:
I think the person who wrote this article should have researched a wheat free lifestyle by actually trying it first. I guarentee it would have read differently! After a LIFETIME of fighting obesity and 7 years of diabetes, I read Wheat Belly. In 2 months time I lost 10 lbs, and 3 inches from my waist. My sugar and carb cravings disappeared in days. I sleep better than I have in years and have way more energy! My allergies, IBS and PMS are gone and my A1c has dropped almost to the point of no longer being diabetic. So as far as I am concerned, NO ONE (no matter how much of an expert they may be) can convince me that going wheat free is unhealthy.

Flamidwyfe:
I lost 111 pounds on the program, in 9 months, and have continued to follow it and have maintained the weight loss for the past 5 months.

I have never, ever felt better in my life! I’m approaching 50. My knee pain, arthritis in two fingers, constant heartburn, migraines, allergies and vertigo are gone. I haven’t had a single one of them since August 2011 when I started.

Kaleein:
124 pounds down after eliminating grains, high sugar fruits and starchy (high carb) veggies. Tell me again how I need “healthy whole grains?”

Kevin:
Lost 70 lbs., no more allergies, no more joint pain, and all disease markers went down. Any other questions?

Michael:
Yeah yeah, new faddy diet, must be b*llsh*t, right? Wrong. I’ve been struggling to contain my weight problem for 20 years, and have tried many different diets. After giving up wheat in all forms I lost 4 kilos in 10 days, and what do you know, that weight has stayed off, and I’m not strict about anything else but wheat in my current eating habits. And also, since I stopped wheat, my high blood pressure has dropped to just about normal, and I have halved my blood pressure medication. I am hoping to be able to give it up altogether. Oh yes, and I’ve had IBS for years, and that has stopped, too. You want me to go on?

Sharon:
Sorry Toby but you are so wrong. Since going off wheat 100%,here is what happened….No more back pain, no more diabetes (went from taking 50 units a day to NO meds at all). All my blood sugars are normal, lost 44 pounds, have tons of energy, no more cholesterol meds, no more blood pressure meds, and same for my husband. Also many of my friends have experienced the same benefits, including no heart disease as well as no more depression and on and on. Dr. Davis has been my inspiration and it probably would do you well to try his plan. He is a truly caring doctor who really wants people to be healthy and off their drugs.

Mary:
Since this article is on Foodnetwork.com, I can only imagine that they want us to eat horribly unhealthy foods since that is what foodnetwork centers around. Oh yes, we watch the channel, and it has taught me many thing about cooking and using herbs, etc. But Foodnetwork….wheat is bad. You should consider more cooking shows that cater to the wheatless crowd…you might be surprised, you might just change the way America eats and then you would be a contributor to the their success instead of to their demise.

Get the idea? And that was just a sampling. Ms. Amidor: You listening? How about you take me up on my offer to have an on-air debate on any TV channel (including Food Network), any time? I’d be more than willing to debate every issue about wheat that I’ve raised.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly counterattacks, Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

140 Responses to Food Network: FOOD FIGHT!

1. Leslie says:

You can also consider adding magnesium and krill oil supplements. Chelated magnesium is best, and if you can find one that contains the Albion Labs formula (Blue Bonnet has oneat my Whole Foods, look for the Albion logo on the bottle) it is buffered and you can ramp up to 600-800 mg/ day pretty quickly without stomachs discomfort. Magnesium is calming, and krill oil is anti inflammatory.

Also, you may want to get your thyroid tested. Make sure it tests free T4 and Free T3 in addition to TSH at a minimum. There is a growing body of research linking T3 deficiency (the active thyroid hormone) to mental disorders. I’ve had severe hypothyroid for 12 years, and when my dosing is too low, I suffer from anxiety. When the dosing is optimal, no such troubles.

2. Leslie says:

That last comment was @April. For sme reason my replies get put at the end and not to the comment I replied to.

> … my replies get put at the end and not to the comment I replied to.

You need to click the _reply_ in the reply you’re replying to, which pops a new Leave A Reply dialog.

The default Leave A Reply that’s initially visible is for replying to the base (Dr.Davis) article, and such replies always sink to the bottom of the list.

3. K. O. says:

It’s all about Magik, Alchemy and the Architects of control…

Being Type 1 diabetic for 34 years and have had the gamete of all the so called Diabetic complications ( kidney transplant, Heart disease, gastroparieses, neuropathy, Addison’s disease, and more) I have searched for the answer for years and years, and have done a lot, even throwing out most every pharmaceutical including my transplant and heart meds 3 years ago
    At any rate since the past 10 days or so;
    I have been eating Meat, Greens, Nuts and Bananas all Organic as well as coconut and hemp oil ONLY…..
    Finally it’s incredible relay!
    - Insulin from about 100 units a day down to about 20, i still take prednisone so its really the prednisone’s own glucose rise I am fighting off now.
    - 25 year of chronic high blood pressures ie 200/110 Now lately 140/70ish
    - so far i am loosing 50% of debilitating so called diabetic neuropathy and extreme pain.
    - I wake not feeling hungry
    - My eye sight has been improving
    - I have been slim all along though bloated and distended, now i am not bloating and staring to get a little latter, also a 5 pound weight loss, but i am toner.
    - My head is clearer, and I can stay awake longer
    - my lymph Groin Axis points no longer have that rash
    - Also I feel lighter, and not as clumsy around the house
    I also take;
    - Arginine
    - Glutathione
    - Glutamine
    - Ornithine
    - Magnesium
    - K2
    - Rhodiola
    - DHEA
    - I feel better emotionally
    Granted I am still a total mess… Though NOW not Totaled
    Progress not Regress
    It’s clear that all grains of all sorts play the roll. I am certain much more of our food supply is poisoned one way or another as well. It’s now all about complete MANUFACTURED food restrictions, and elimination’s and finding other ways to incorporate a complete food to eat; 106 minerals and trace elements.
    Organic wheat grass and kelp = a whole food. Thats about as basic as we can get to survive, may not be filling in any way though will sustain life.
    Why does our foods have to be sweet: If you think about it, and it’s not hard for me, even a mouth full of potatoes, corn, chewed up brown bread and so on has a sweet quality to it. This addiction is huge, I think about my ex father in law, how he loved his cake n ice cream, pie and what ever else. Mean while he was always etching his ears, and between his toes., and fingers. Then getting sudden pains in his knees all the while cake is flying out of his mouth.
    Carbohydrates = Glucose, Glucose end results, or say burn of is Energy and Heat something like 10% energy and 90% heat. Though the variances of the life force of each will vary. This depends on the quality of what is burning. As well pure foods while in process and break down including fruits at the least burn down with the intended nutrients and minerals.

~ As in from then till now – thou shall not Add nor Take out of. ~

K O

Your story is truly incredible, K.O.

Beyond alchemy and control, there’s indifferent, misinterpretation, and profiteering. Whatever happened to truth and regard for the health of others?

• K. O. says:

Doc. Thank for your words!

Being the Pharmapig they have made of me, and even through this horrid destruction, I still carrie my Pure of soul, and Total of mind. It only worries me as watch so many loose this essence of life force as well, to just what is coming down the pike.
        If we all just sit back and continue to take Two of these and every thing will be better in morning then MAYBE it is we deserve what is happening to the beloved human race.
        Where men are becoming women and women are becoming men no one seems to care too much as it’s all seems to be this so called Normal. And the new scheme is Termed The NEW NORMAL hey come on people it’s a Global effort what’s wrong with short term gain, and no tomorrow?

• K. O. says:

Good morning Dr. Davis

I have been thinking of your words;
        ” Whatever happened to truth and regard for the health of others ” ?

I have to wonder? Though on a scale of everyone in a whole, I don’t think the human has truly ever held Complete Truth and Regard for the health of others. By hierarchy, power ( in all forms ), and control it seems to me that these are the basis of the blue print to stall, and dismantle our true birth right, and human evolution.
        Total Realized Health of man may be achieved when we will all know who we really are. And practice life in just that way ” Truth and Regard for the health of others” Though till then !@#%^&()# my Gawd what a mess….

• wrotek says:

woow , Your story reminds me of Drew Bauman from watercure…Check this out, perpahs it will help You even more. There are many similarities between You two http://theinnozablog.blogspot.com/2009/11/andrew-j-bauman-saved-by-water-cure.html in my opinion.

• K. O. says:

wrotek

Thank you very much!
        I have heard of water therapy quite a lot thru out the years. There is a story of a Doc. in a German war camp of WW2 who was using this to cure his fellow mates.

I do drink a lot as it is, though after reading this, I think your on to something. I know we should be drinking roughly two times our body weight in ounces.

Thanks again

• wrotek says:

Yes but we should also avoid caffeine and alcohol – diuretics. What is your consumption of these two chemicals ?

• K. O. says:

wrotek

Ah! you have some certain sight huh!
            I don’t drink alcohol at all, but I am a coffee drinker, and once again am now working it out my life.
            I am seeing better results daily… and have do doubt to what I will achieve with in the next 6 months or so.

I thank you much for your input…. It’s always nice to hear words from someone who can relate.

K O

4. K. O. says:

A brief point

1) This wheat was manipulated in around 1964-66 or so
    2) Medicare was established in 1966
    3) All chronic DIS EASE has risen by multitudes each year and decade since
    4) We now have a host of new, or almost unheard of DIS EASE’S
    5) We are now being told that our kids are fat, DIS EASE’D and will dye before our selves
    6) The system is dependent on sickness, and all ills of the peoples
    7) 70% of the population is taking at least one drug… never MIND the Wheat!

Chronic situation; As we get sick from their poison they provide the fix ups the solution to our man made ills.
    p.s. they don’t work

K O

I don’t believe it’s a coincidence, K.O.

Given the potential time coincidence, there are just too many observations suggesting a genuine cause-effect relationship.

You are beginning to appreciate the enormity of this blunder!

• K. O. says:

Your so Correct Doc. I see alright…
        You let me know when you need a poster boy/man. I am at your service Sir Doc.

K O

5. Iris Alvares says:

Dear dr Davis..
    I have read 384 comments on the food network article written by Toby.. All except 2 persons and Toby of course have lauded your efforts and the goodness of being wheat free.. You will know it works only if you give this lifestyle a try.. I have done it and I know it is worth it..
    Can you please recommend the supplements one needs to take while being wheat/grain free..
    Thanks
    Iris

6. LorLor says:

This is off topic (unless you change the heading to Fight for Food), but after watching several days’ worth of disaster coverage, I started thinking about emergency food storage for us wheat-free folks. Although wheat may kill us in the long-term, it’s a popular food storage item because it does not require refrigeration, can be safely stored for long periods of time, and can be used to create so many different dishes. So, any suggestions on Wheat Belly emergency food storage that does not require refrigeration? Any idea of the shelf life of things like nut flours? Would jerky suffice as a meat source? I guess in an emergency we can stop stressing about the BPA in cans and use canned goods, but what are some other options?

• James says:

Just to name a few apart from water:

nuts, bill tongue jerky, kale (can keep edible for a long time!), dark chocolate sweetened with e.g xylitol, pumpkin bars, healthy oils, etc.

• eema.gray says:

Although not **highly** recommended, much of my food storage is dried beans, peas, lentils, and rice. If prepared according to WAPF methods (24 hour soak in warm water before cooking to deactivate most defense mechanisms) they are reasonably nutritious and store well. Dried or dehydrated meat products are excellent; remember that for centuries, jerky was not so much an art form as a way to make meats non-perishable and portable; for fats look to coconut oil and ghee, there is at least one company that cans butter (Red Feather) but I cannot attest to the quality of their product. For a variety of reasons, I prefer to store dehydrated vegetables since I can do that myself at home with reliable results.

7. Grace says:

I love the response from “Mary” (last response in your post above) the most – I would LOVE if they would just capitalize ont he idea instead of pooh-poohing it. Do a wheat free cooking show! Write a cookbook! I am desperate to find and try more recipes and spend so much time scouring the internet for sources. I would be all over a cooking show dedicated to the Wheat free (or Paleo, or whatever you want to label it) way of eating.

I would also love a restaurant chain! Think Chipotle or Panera or something, but all wheat free….. Come on Dr. Davis – the opportunities aren’t just knocking, they’re POUNDING DOWN THE DOOR! LOL ;)

• Suzi D says:

I am strongly considering a wheat free restaurant/bakery. I believe this could be very popular given the change in peoples nutritional desires. Even in Texas this is a scary time for a new start up. I would appreciate anyone’s opinion. Suzi

Suzi D: > I am strongly considering a wheat free restaurant/bakery.

As I see it, as a potential customer for such a restaurant, the top issues are:

1. Who is not your customer?
        2. Can you fill a menu for those who are?

What’s the theme of the establishment, and does the name convey that?

It is probably way too early for a specifically “Wheat Belly” themed restaurant; plus, if you use those words, Rodale lawyers will swarm like locusts.

There are a number of dietary movements that are all gravitating toward a goal of healthy eating, including paleo, keto, enlightened Atkins, gluten-free and low-carb generically. I suspect to have any chance at all, you’d need to appeal to all of them. For anyone else who crosses the threshold, you need to give them some idea that the menu is high fat, moderate protein, low carb, and why.

I’m thinkin’ that low carb needs to be the theme. “Paleo Pastries” or “Keto Kitchen” are too narrow and are not going to resonate with customers who might otherwise want what you offer.

Be wary of using the word “health” in the name or theme. That sets expectations that are somewhat unpredictable.

Re-frame: what you propose to run is in fact an allergens alternative. All humans are allergic to gluten-bearing grains, although most don’t know it. All humans are allergic to high carbs, and most don’t know it. But there are many (especially prior to going wheat-free) who consider themselves allergic to a long list of other foods, most of which are core in WB recipes: nuts, peanuts, seafood, fermented dairy. What is your “allergens menu” plan?

Do you have a critical mass of recipes? This needs to be things that are either rapidly prepared, or can be at least partially prepared in advance. The WB Cookbook is of course a start, but may be insufficient. Drawing on cookbooks from paleo and keto sources will help fill out the menu, but may start getting higher in carbs (and in the case of paleo, troubling carbs, like honey).

Also, are you going for strict net carbs per entree, or are you offering higher-carb choices?

Running a restaurant is tough, and running a low-carb one is tougher at this moment in history. If it fails to thrive, even Gordon Ramsey may not be of much help.

8. wrotek says:

Is acid reflux an inflammatory condition ? Coffee causes me acid reflux, tea does not, and coffee is thought to be inflammatory by some scientific papepers.

9. Viral says:

Dear Dr Davis
    I am on the wheatbelly diet and progressing quite well.
    Being vegetarian,i do have extra challenges.
    As well, i am cutting den nuts intake since i am trying to keep the arginine intake low.
    I also regualrly workout but have been lately noticing that my stamina and endurance has taken a nose dive.
    Do i need extra carb supplements to avoid this state ?
    Your advice will be highly appreciated,
    Sncerely
    Viral
    Ps.i have lost almost 15 lb !

Hi, Viral–

This tends to be a temporary state that lasts around 4 weeks.

Most athletes, if they wait out the conversion to fat burning metabolism, will do BETTER when they become efficient fat oxidizers.

10. LYNNE CRONK says:

I have not had any wheat for about a month now – - still have my happy hour every day of 2 small glasses of red wine. My weight loss isn’t significant yet but wow, do I feel good and my clothes are starting to fit again – - especially the waistbands. The weight loss will follow and it is only a number. My main goal is to feel full of energy, have no carb cravings and be able to wear all my clothes. I am also not 21, in my 70s but strive to be healthy and still look good for my age. I love this way of eating, easy to eat out – - lots of salads and meat and fish. I can’t say enough about this eating plan. Will return to this site in a month and update my progress.

11. Sedena says:

“It is virtually impossible to follow this plan while traveling or dining out.”

I laughed out loud at this one! I just returned from a 7-day French river cruise up the Rhone River (from Provence to Burgundy) with amazing gourmet food at every meal, morning and afternoon snacks, complementary wine at lunch and dinner, and of course, gourmet restaurants in the cities we visited along the way. I declined all grains, dairy and sugar just as I do at home, and Voila! I didn’t gain a pound! It’s no different eating on the road than at home, and actually more fun because there are more choices. I mean, I don’t make bacon, eggs, sausage, curried herring, salmon, eggs benedict etc for a breakfast meal – and those were just some of the choices available. I find it is so much easier to say ‘yes’ to the good food and forget about the stuff that is bad for me.

High fat, protein and low carb is truly the best and easiest lifestyle for me.

• James says:

True enough … but you were in France, a place where food diversity has been a secular norm :)

Hmmm. So maybe those nice dietitians and nutritionists have NO idea that they have contributed in a big way to the obesity and diabetes epidemic?

Is there any way to overstate the enormity of their blundering advice?

12. Jen says:

All I can say is your book and other resouces have transformed my life and so quickly in just a few weeks. i didn’t need to loose a lot of weight but could spare to loose some. In 3 weeks I have lost 7 lbs which is a lot for being a smaller woman. What is more imporatant is I feel amazing. I am not tired, irritable, sleep better, don’t crave food all day long. i am working out less even and feel better than ever. Before this i was exercising 2 hours a day 6 days a week on a calorie restricted diet and no changes in my body. Every physician I saw said work out more and eat less. Well that was close to impossible without going into starvation mode. I had already been recommended going gluten free by a nutrional consultant and then picked up your book. Thankyou for waht you do and I think it is responsible you say over and over not to substitute processed gluten free food. Thank you for what you have done for me!

13. Kerri says:

Have been 100% wheat free since a severe IBS attack on Oct. 12/12 which was the day I had my pre-op for a colonoscopy. The only thing I ate that morning was 2 pieces of pumpernickel toast, which has wheat flour as the first ingredient, by the way. After trying to figure out what triggered the attack, it hit me like a ton of bricks that it might be the wheat causing the prob. I went and bought the book immediately, identified with quite a few symptoms and that was it. No more wheat and guess what? No more IBS at all!! I have suffered with it all if my life and it is totally gone. What a HUGE relief!!! As an added bonus, I lost 17lbs and my eczema had disappeared too! Thank you!

14. Kerri says:

My husband suffers from atrial fib as well as anxiety. I have been trying to get him to adjust his diet but he is a picky eater and LOVES his high carb foods such as white bread, cookies, chips, etc. The other day he ate 2 pieces of toast for breakfast and within 15 mins he experienced a panick attack. I believe it was the spike in his blood sugar that caused this. He also has the 90 – 120 minute hunger cycles where he HAS to eat or he gets hypoglycemic with shakes and cold sweats. I think he would be a prime candidate to try this way of eating and possibly be able to alleviate his symptoms and cut back on the meds that he has to take to keep his symptoms at bay. Who knows? Maybe he will eventually be able to cut out the meds all together.

P.S. My friend, Shannon, mentioned that talking about ways of eating has almost joined the likes of religion and politics. I definitely agree with that notion!

> … talking about ways of eating has almost joined the likes of religion and politics.

It used to be, because food wanks were advocating diet tweaks that might take a decade or more to show only modest results – i.e. not testable in a realistic time frame, or not testable at all.

The benefits of low carb grain free paleo are promptly testable. Switch over for a month and see what happens. Often the results happen much sooner that that. Challenge your friends: “look, either try this for month, or stop bending my ear whining about ailments you don’t need to be afflicted with”.

• Ellen says:

LOL. I love that comment about “bending my ear whining about your ailments”. That is so true. I was one of those once. We need to remind people to TRY it for 30 days, strictly no wheat, not sometimes, not once in a while but strictly NO wheat. My hubby thinks he can eat it “sometimes” but I have warned him as soon as it hits his system, he will have food cravings for more and more and more and more. So just push it away, clear out your pantry and get on to getting healthier. I am only a week into this and notice huge differences. I can’t even imagine what will happen in 3 months! I did though huck my wheat products altogether. Even my 16 year old has gone wheat free. First day she balked at it, second day she thought it was just generally healthier. Smart girl.

15. Maria says:

I have been wheat free for 2 weeks now and my pants are definitely loser on me around the wasteline. I’ve only given up wheat, I still eat rice, since that is not wheat, and I believe Dr. Davis said it’s ok to eat half a cup of rice a day(?). All in all, I actually have noticed that I get full quicker than I used to. And no, I didn’t find it hard to stay away from bread or wheat based pasta. I eat corn thins (almost like rice cake, but very thin and made of corn) in place of bread. I have discovered that snacking on cheese and nuts are awesome. Not sure how I will do on Thanksgiving day. I hope I stay focused on eating wheat free. Let’s see.

Maria

Be sure to see the recipes on this blog for Thanksgiving and other winter holidays, Maria!

It would be a shame to achieve all kinds of health benefits then to blow it on a holiday.

16. Peggy says:

I have been using “Wheat Belly Cookbook” for a couple weeks, I Love It! 5 years ago I was told that I was pre-diabetic, a very smart nurse told me to quit eating all white sugar and flour, rice, potatoes pasta. I did that day. So I have been able to control my blood sugar to some extent, as long as I ate right. But I have lost weight and am unable to gain eating basically fruit veggies and lean meat. I do test normal on my A!C which makes me very happy.
    Now due to no wheat and new receipes in cookbook I am able to have a life again. My blood sugar is perfect all the time and I get to eat all the good things in life that taste even better to me than the old receipes that included sugar and wheat.
    Upon being told I was prediabetic I went to local hospital and paid $450. for diabetic education course. If I had followed their advice I would be a full blown diabetic today. I cannot believe the diet that is being advised to all diabetics. Your cookbook makes eating fun again and I love the receipes that are good and easy to make.
    Thank you Dr. Davis !!!!!

17. Evelyn says:

I have been wheat free for three weeks very pleased, I had chronic foot and back pain both are fine now. I do find my energy level a bit sluggish. Any suggestions perhaps I should eat more fruit? Thank you Dr. Davis for sharing your wealth of information.

Great start, Evelyn!

No, no more fruit. Low energy can have a number of explanations. Start with getting adequate calories from fats and proteins. Next, think thyroid.

18. mikel says:

I have to say I haven’t read the book, however I did read the first two pages and that is NOT the way to start a diet book. First, the idea that ‘women didn’t get exercise apart from vacuuming’ is one of the most chauvinistic things I’ve read, and only a doctor who has never done housework could say such a thing. I do landscaping as well as housework and baking, and I sweat buckets while carting laundry, vacuuming, dishes, baking, etc. Have you ever made pasta BY HAND? You WILL sweat! And take a look at some old pictures sometime-they may not have been obese, but they certainly weren’t scrawny-unless they were starving, as lots of people were.
    I’ve heard our ‘fatness’ blamed on everything from fructose in soda to sedentary work habits, to the fastfood nation. ANY of those will explain it.
    Now, IF ‘modern grains’ are the problem, what about using heritage grains? What about limiting grains? And can it really be said that ALL humans have the same dietary requirements or digestive system? I recently read that even being born through cesarian can affect the bacterial makeup of the stomach!
    Plus, the coup de grace is this-recently we went to Morocco, where the people are HUGE wheat eaters. How many fat people did I see? 0. That’s right, ZERO. IF the problem is wheat, then how is it possible that a society that relies on wheat so much more heavily than ours can not have a weight problem? Could it be something else?
    OF COURSE you will lose weight if you cut out grains, because to cut out grains you HAVE to cut out all the crap that comes from the food that has them. If I can’t eat bread, I save the 160 calories from a Wendys Bacon Cheeseburger, but I also save the 360 calories from not eating the burger (plus the 140 calories from not getting the pop and the 200 calories from not eating the fries. It seems these days the way to promote a diet is to make it like a religion-its not enough to ‘sort of’ commit, you have to go all the way.
    Anyway, I can certainly see the validity in saying to ‘eat LESS wheat’, just like ‘eat less of everything’. My wife and I are planning on losing weight, so when the book is available at the library then I’ll give it to my wife, the molecular biologist, to determine whether we should give it a go. I’ll let you know.

• Ellen says:

wow. First, I have only been wheat free for a week, and I have not read the book and I do not own the cookbook… yet. But… I have been searching for YEARS as to reasons for joint and muscle pain, skin allergies, fatigue etc etc etc. I am middle age so the thought of continuing on this bent was concerning to me… what would I be like at 70? I am definitely not a molecular biologist but I don’t think you need to be to understand the CHANGES to wheat nowadays, and how it is affecting our body. You are thinking wheat is wheat is wheat is wheat, but it is NOT wheat any longer, only we just weren’t told. So first, remember the wheat we eat is not the wheat that is natural and does not work in our bodies the same way it used to… thus the reason to go off of it! Think poison… would you still take it if it was slowly poisoning you. No. So, remember that modern wheat which is grown in 99% of the world’s crops is NEW wheat, altered, and does not function in our bodies the same way it used to.

PS: I wouldn’t be offended by comments either. I haven’t read the book to verify those comments, but people say things that can be misconstrued. Honestly, no one these days does the type of exercise or general labor in a day they used to, unless they are in a labor intense job. Maybe that is waht he was getting at. For me, cleaning a 3 level house is work intensive, but I only do it every week or so, and the rest of the time I have an office job. I have dropped exercise other than walking becuase of severe muscle/joint and back pain. So I don’t even do that and wondered why that was getting worse. Now I know. But the general idea is, we are not as labor intense as we used to be, that is likely what he meant. If you are offended at his comment, you will likely be offended at most people’s comments LOL.

you should try it. You don’t need a biologist to figure it out for you either, it’s a matter of DOING it, see for yourself, that is your best answer, that someone’s opinion on it. I know physicians too who swears we should eat all grains… it does not mean they are correct. It just means they have not experienced the dramatic changes of not poisoning yourself daily will do for your health! In my body and likely many others, wheat was literally making me toxic. If my body responds to certain molecular structures and those structures are changed, isn’t it logical that the body will react differently than it maybe used to pre 1960 to wheat that has been molecularly altered?

> I have to say I haven’t read the book, …

You realize that kicks the chair out from under any presumption of credibility?

Anyway, thanks for the troll. This site gets surprisingly few.

> … however I did read the first two pages and that is NOT the way to start a diet book.

It’s not a diet book. It’s a scientific horror story, with recipes.

> First, the idea that ‘women didn’t get exercise apart from
      > vacuuming’ is one of the most chauvinistic things I’ve read, …

Make that “misread”.

> I’ve heard our ‘fatness’ blamed on everything from fructose in
      > soda to sedentary work habits, to the fastfood nation.
      > ANY of those will explain it.

Yet calls for people to address those things have done nothing. Diabetes and obesity rates, for example, continue not just at high levels, not just rising, but accelerating. The trend lines collapse entirely for individuals who switch to grain-free low carb.

Something you need to know about the WB message is that it does not advocate a dietary shift for philosophical or conjectural reasons. It says, in effect “drop wheat and go low carb for just a month – see what happens”. And what happens for the vast majority is significant weight loss, and relief from a bewildering variety of ailments.

> Now, IF ‘modern grains’ are the problem, what about using heritage grains?

Consume them at the same rate as wheat, and the results will be slightly less worse. Heirlooms still have gluten. They are still sky-high-gly carbs. An often unappreciated part of the WB message is that a high glycemic diet has been a 10,000 year mistake.

> What about limiting grains?

What about limiting tobacco? You are still punishing yourself with an addictive substance. See book for details.

> And can it really be said that ALL humans have the same
      > dietary requirements or digestive system?

No. But we are all wheat-sensitive and carb-sensistive. It is just a matter of degree and decades. Don’t wait decades. Some consequences are not fully reversible.

> Plus, the coup de grace is this-recently we went to Morocco,
      > where the people are HUGE wheat eaters. How many fat people did I see? 0.

They are still largely on the Med Diet, but that’s changing, and people are already worried about it and studying why. The extra fat intake (olive oil) causes them to eat less (they aren’t making the low-fat mistake). They are probably also not eating packaged foods laced with wheat and HFCS. See:
      for my current conjectures on this.

> OF COURSE you will lose weight if you cut out grains,
      > because to cut out grains you HAVE to cut out all the
      > crap that comes from the food that has them.

Turns out cutting grains is a force multiplier, as they say in the military, due to cutting the appetite stimulants. And yes, it also wipes the majority of prepared foods off the menu, taking sugar, trans fats and excess carbs with them. But, WB does not amount to a calorie-restricted diet. Eat all you feel like eating. Lose weight. Get healthier. Eat fat – lose weight.

That raises another insight on the WB phenomenon. Many people approach it with skepticism rooted in: if the answer is so simple, why haven’t huge numbers of people discovered it by accident? Because 80% of what passes for food is contaminated with gluten-bearing grains, or excess carbs, or both. It is about as tricky to avoid wheat today as it was to avoid second hand smoke in 1950. Not impossible, just a bit challenging at the moment.

> It seems these days the way to promote a diet is to make
      > it like a religion-its not enough to ‘sort of’ commit, you have to go all the way.

The WB way of food is being promoted solely on results, and results that you get promptly, not in the afterlife. There’s no church. You can’t join it. It doesn’t even take donations. Regarding “all the way” …

> Anyway, I can certainly see the validity in saying to ‘eat LESS wheat’, …

It turns out that for many people, re-exposure has prompt and harsh consequences. Once you’ve gone cold turkey for more than a few days, any return to “sin” makes it clear that “less” is no substitute for zero. And this stuff is sold as human food.

> … just like ‘eat less of everything’.

Both untrue and unnecessary. Pretty much everything you’ve ever been told about nutrition needs a second look, starting with “everything in moderation”. Much of it is fatally incorrect, and that’s not an exaggeration or metaphor.

> My wife and I are planning on losing weight, so when the
      > book is available at the library then I’ll give it to my wife, …

Do drop by after that.

> .. the molecular biologist, to determine whether we should give it a go. I’ll let you know.

Also know that formal education on human nutrition has either caused, or failed to prevent, today’s health and belly crises. The world called “human nutrition” is seriously not the place you thought it was (unless you were living in one of the isolated keteogenic cultures).

19. mikel says:

Gee, I didn’t know anybody that had a criticism was a troll. It’s true, not a lot of people who the diet HASN”T worked for probably post here, and why would they? You do realize how crazy your comments sound right? On the one hand we can’t trust academia because ‘it caused today’s health crisis’, meanwhile Dr. Davis goes to great pains to talk about all the footnotes he provides of academic research. So which is it? Anyway, the idea that health nutritionists have caused obesity is just nuts. I was in Buffalo where the specialty is a ‘garbage plate’ which is hamburger, macaroni and cheese, gravy, and is ‘all you can eat’. I don’t remember any nutritionists making that recommendation.

Like I said, yes you will lose weight, but you will also lose it by cutting back on the five pounds of meat you may eat per day, and by exercising more. Or by switching to heritage grains, since the doctor seems to equate these problems with ‘modern wheat’-which he claims has changed at some point between fifty and five thousand years, but can’t offer any evidence of what those changes may be (either way, just start growing einkorn wheat).

And by the way, if you think there are industrial horror stories about agribusiness in the wheat industry, you have NO idea what is going on in the meat industry, which is far more frightening.

> Gee, I didn’t know anybody that had a criticism was a troll.

So what is your default assumption when someone, who hasn’t read something you’ve written, leads off with a complaint?

> It’s true, not a lot of people who the diet HASN”T worked
      > for probably post here, and why would they?

Actually, I think we hear from all of them. There are several blog threads specifically for them.

> You do realize how crazy your comments sound right?

Yep. It’s easily right up there with “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”. It’s almost that bad, and easily that insane a situation.

> On the one hand we can’t trust academia because
      > ‘it caused today’s health crisis’, meanwhile Dr. Davis
      > goes to great pains to talk about all the footnotes he
      > provides of academic research. So which is it?

Academia was born of a glycemic metabolic culture. Like frogs in a pot of slowly warming water, they rarely question their context. Yet they are doing research and publishing papers that connect the dots. The people who need to read them, however (doctors), were taught that nutrition doesn’t matter, so they don’t read them. Dr. Davis reads them (as does Dr. Peter Attia, by the way).

> Anyway, the idea that health nutritionists have caused obesity is just nuts.

Caused it, perhaps not. Are actively sustaining it, absolutely.

> I was in Buffalo where the specialty is a ‘garbage plate’ which is
      > hamburger, macaroni and cheese, gravy, and is ‘all you can eat’.
      > I don’t remember any nutritionists making that recommendation.

Nor does Wheat Belly.

> Like I said, yes you will lose weight, but you will also lose it by
      > cutting back on the five pounds of meat you may eat per day,
      > and by exercising more.

Incorrect. Cut the carbs (esp. wheat). Eat only what you need (which will be less with the carbs gone). Don’t sweat the exercise, so to speak. The dogmatic message from the USDA is flat out fatally flawed, but you’ve swallowed it.

> Or by switching to heritage grains, since the doctor seems
      > to equate these problems with ‘modern wheat’-which he …

Eating heirlooms (if they really are) is less of a mistake, but still a mistake.

> … claims has changed at some point between fifty and
      > five thousand years, …

Uh, no. Between 1950 and 1985.

> … but can’t offer any evidence of what those changes
      > may be (either way, just start growing einkorn wheat).

That attitude is consistent with not having read the book, or any of several blog posts on what happened, like:

> And by the way, if you think there are industrial horror
      > stories about agribusiness in the wheat industry, you
      > have NO idea what is going on in the meat industry, which is far more frightening.

The WB cookbook, for some unknown reason, recommends buying only pasture-fed hormone-free meat :)