Biscuits and Gravy

Biscuits and gravy: the ultimate comfort food . . . one you thought you’d never have again!

The familiar dish of breakfast and holiday meals is recreated here with a delicious gravy that you can pour over piping hot biscuits. Because it contains no wheat or other unhealthy thickeners like cornstarch made with “junk” carbohydrates, there should be no blood sugar or insulin problems with this dish, nor joint pain, edema, acid reflux, mind “fog,” or dandruff—life is good without wheat!

While the gravy is also dairy-free for those with dairy intolerances, the biscuits are not, as there are cheese and butter in the biscuits, both of which are optional, e.g., leave out the cheese and replace butter with coconut or other oil.

Makes 10 biscuits

Gravy:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound loose sausage meat
2½ cups beef broth
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup coconut milk (canned variety)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
Dash ground black pepper

Biscuits:
1 cup shredded cheddar (or other) cheese
2 cups almond meal/flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
4 ounces butter, melted (or other oil, e.g., extra-light olive, coconut, walnut)

To make gravy:
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté sausage, breaking up as it browns. Cook until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.

Turn heat up to medium to high and pour in beef broth. Heat just short of boiling, then turn down to low heat. Stir in coconut flour, little by little, over 3-5 minutes; stop adding when gravy obtains desired thickness. Pour in coconut milk and stir in well. Add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.

To make biscuits:
Preheat oven to 325° F.

In food chopper or processor, pulse shredded cheese to finer, granular consistency.

Pour cheese into large bowl, then add almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt and mix thoroughly. Add the eggs and butter or oil and mix thoroughly to yield thick dough.

Spoon out dough into 10 or so ¾-inch thick mounds onto a parchment paper-lined baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick withdraws dry.

Ladle gravy onto biscuits just before serving.

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Biscuits and Gravy

1. Mike Brock says:

But, brown gravy? That’s not right. Better than nothing I guess.

2. Charla Eastwood says:

Is this just a coincidence or a Google event? I was just searching for a gluten-free recipe for biscuits and gravy and when I went back to facebook…here it is!!!!!

A Christmas brunch favorite in our home, biscuits and gravy is the only thing I could possibly think of made of wheat that I might miss. I was planning ahead so I wouldn’t have a Christmas gut disaster! LOL

I’ve been keeping my diet really clean and I was even willing to eat some cornstarch and junk flours once per year…as long as there was no wheat or gluten. This is awesome! Thanks!

3. Nancy says:

To make a white sausage gravy like we have in the South, leave out the beef broth and coconut milk and use only unsweetened almond milk and put your cooked sausage in at the last. That way it doesn’t turn brown . Another way is to make a roux with grass fed butter and a little of your coconut flour- keep it light colored- then add the unsweetened almond milk and cooked sausage and sea salt and black pepper. This mimics the South’s sausage gravy exactly if you’d like. :)

• Laurie says:

Nancy!

Thank you! Thank you! This exactly the recipe I’ve been looking for! Love white gravy! And am missing my chicken and okra gumbo due to not knowing how to make a roux without wheat!

You are a Godsend this morning!

Laurie

• Marv says:

Thank you Nancy. Now figure out grits for me, ok? :)
      –Marv

• Ed says:

You read my mind, thanks! I SO MISSED THIS ON PALEO!

4. Sue Wilkinson says:

But what about the sausage? I can’t find sausages without wheat in them. We even have our own sausage maker but my Husband made a batch for me when I was first told to avoid wheat and he put a corn crumb in (which I don’t like). Sausages need something in them. What’s the primal recipe?

This full recipe sounds good.

Sausage without wheat is becoming increasingly easy to find, Sue.

I don’t believe that you should have any problem finding some.

• Misha says:

Sue, There is a company called Jones Dairy Farm that offers GF Sausage. It’s certified if that matters, lol. We live in Germany and not speaking German makes allergy free shopping hard. I was thrilled to find Jones brand at our On Base Grocery store. I hope that helps.

• Kim says:

Sue,
        I just whipped up a batch of breakfast sausage a couple hours ago. It’s sitting in the fridge over night to get all the flavors blended and delicious. Here is the recipe that I found on the web and have adapted. BTW, you don’t need a binder or starch to make sausage. I don’t put this in casings, just make it bulk and form patties for breakfast, so this will work for gravy, too.
        Homemade Breakfast Sausage
        1 lb ground pork
        1-1/2 t poultry seasoning (or 1 t sage, plus 1/8 t marjoram or rosemary or thyme)
        1/2 T brown sugar (I use stevia or a combo of stevia and a little maple syrup or honey) make this fit for your diet needs
        1/4 t cayenne or 1/16 t red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
        1 pinch nutmeg
        Put the pork in a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl combine your dry seasonings (leaving out the liquid type sweetners if you are using them). Shake some of the seasoning over the pork and mix with your hands or a spoon to mix it in well, keep adding more seasoning until all of it is mixed in. Add your liquid sweetner and mix. Fry up in patties or make gravy recipe above. If you have time, let it sit overnight in the fridge – it gets even better.
        Enjoy!

• Kim says:

Oops, sorry guys, I forgot the salt and pepper!
          To the dry seasonings add:
          1 t sea salt
          1/2 t pepper
          Adjust these to your diet as well. I decreased the salt in half from the original recipe as I can’t have too much – some people will want more, others might omit it – your preference here.

Thanks for posting, Kim!

5. Claudia says:

sounds pretty yummy! – thanks doc

6. Barbara Williams says:

I just cooked a beef roast in my slow cooker for tomorrow’s dinner and was wondering how to make a gravy with the liquid so now I’ll pour off a lot of the fat and do an adaptation minus the sausage.

• Barbara Williams says:

My gravy came out very well using the almond flour and the pan drippings, also added a little HWC; company will be here shortly and then we’ll see how it goes over. The onion powder and garlic powder gives it a nice kick!

Woops just looked back at Dr’s recipe and see he used coconut; I used almond flour. Whatever, it tastes very good!

• Mary D. says:

I make gravy for my hubby using millet flour. I make a light roux with a little fat (bacon fat, butter, coconut oil, whatever I think will taste best with what the gravy will be used for) and millet flour, then add broth, hot milk, or even coconut milk to it. Gives a light, nutty flavor and hubby says the sauce is silky and has a nice texture. [I don't eat gravy, but he likes it & can use the extra calories as he burns them off running every day.]

7. Alene says:

can you use just almond flour?

8. Lucy says:

Why shouldn’t we use milk in the gravy?

• Patti Evans says:

I’m willing to bet those using the coconut milk and such are doing so because they can’t have dairy. My son is in the same boat! Everything I make has to be gluten free AND dairy free! If you do not have any dairy issues, then it’s perfectly fine to use “regular” milk.

9. I am still having so much trouble with cravings….so so much trouble with cravings…….what can I do? I keep relapsing due to basically almost going in to a walking blackout and eating wheat…….I have a lot of will power and I am finding this sooooo difficult.

• Kim says:

Deborah,
      Early in this process I had the same problem and a friend told me that when she hears someone say they are having trouble with cravings the first question that comes to mind is: Are they taking in enough fat? We often don’t realize just how much fat we have deprived ourselves of over the years with the high fiber/ low fat hype. Most of us, especially if we are over weight, are almost phobic about fat – even good fats, and are still subconsciously avoiding them.

So, I started carrying fats around with me for when the “mood” hit and I was craving sweets, starches, etc. It worked! A small bag of your favorite nuts (raw uncooked type, or bake them yourself so you’re not getting the starches the manufacturers put on them). I also had a small container I put coconut oil into and I would eat it by the spoonful. Sounded pretty weird when I first heard it – but it worked and I have grown to really like the taste. Almond butter by the teaspoon, or another favorite nut butter, or with a couple apple slices is a great snack. Even a couple squares of 70% or higher dark chocolate hit the spot when I was starting out.

I make a coconut milk smoothie for the afternoon that I sip on: 1 C Coconut Milk, a handful of frozen berries, water to blend until it’s the consistency I like, a couple pinches of cinnamon is nice, and if your berries are on the sour side a little stevia or truvia, etc. to sweeten.

Hope that helps!

• Terry Duncan says:

Kim is right on – I have always been a muncher — until I started eating the WB WoE and I used nuts/cheese to stop my cravings in the beginning— adding fats have helped to overcome the cravings — I have head munchies — because I am no longer hungry — so I will use the nuts or cheese or a cup of hot coffee – decaf in the afternoons with HWC and a big TBLS of coconut oil — very satisfying. I don’t have these issues too often anymore as I make sure to get good fats in early in the day…..EVOO on eggs/cheese….or on salads — big helps — never tried a spoonful of coconut oil…….great idea. Deborah if you have not gone to the Wheat Belly facebook page – there is a lot of great discussion and helpful hints – also Wheat Belly Recipe Central on facebook……….love this WoE!!

• Roberta says:

Hello! We are just starting on the WB Diet, and I’m reading all the comments. Can you please tell me what HWC stands for? Thanks, can’t wait to try some of these recipes!

10. Lindsey says:

Quick, someone invent a “stuffing” (I think the Southerners say “dressing”) recipe. I’m vegetarian, gf, low carb… but until 2010 I was still using the preseasoned breadcrumbs in a bag. Last year I skipped it entirely. This year… is there a good sub?

• Terry Duncan says:

You can look at this blog under search – type recipes and also Wheat Belly Recipe Central on facebook has stuffing recipes.

Yes, posted last week on this blog, Lindsey.

However, you will need to leave out the sausage to suit your vegetarian lifestyle.

11. Pingback: Biscuits and Gravy | His & Her Health & Beauty

12. Lucy says:

What’s wrong with using whole milk in the gravy recipe?
    Lucy

Nothing, Lucy. But I wanted to help those with dairy intolerances have an alternative.

Also, many people have weight loss stalled with dairy products, especially milk, due to the peculiar insulinotrophic property of the whey fraction of dairy protein, i.e., the provocation of insulin release by the pancreas. So it helps to have a non-dairy recipe to help avoid for those people, as well.

13. Kathy says:

I made the biscuits tonight. Yum! I like the addition of the cheese. Leftovers for breakfast! Can’t wait for your cookbook to come out. It’s on my Christmas list.

14. Regan says:

Over the top salty….whoa! Id tweak and retry tho!

15. Pingback: Paleo / Primal vesrion of southern style sausage gravy? | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

16. thedrpete says:

Not in the biscuits and gravy recipe, but in some recipes at the end of the book, e.g., apple walnut “bread” and banana-bueberry muffins, one ingredient listed is baking powder. Given that baking powder is but baking soda and corn starch, its inclusion has me scratching my head.

17. Anne says:

I’ve never really heard of the biscuits and gravy thing…(maybe it’s not so much a Canadian thing?!), BUT I love biscuits and my house smells delicious right now. We’re going to have them with chili for supper tonight.

I just tried one with a bit of butter melted on top. WOW! I can taste a hint of the coconut flour which is nice…

If only almond flour wasn’t so expensive…

Thanks for the deliciousness :)

Great, Anne!

You could always substitute another flour for the coconut, e.g., ground golden flaxseed, or just increase the almond meal. Still works quite well, just slightly less light in texture.

18. Pingback: Biscuits and Gravy | Wheat Belly Blog « into ewe

19. PSH says:

This is the lst recipe of yours I have tried and they are so good. Made mine in a muffin top pan to get them a uniform shape.
    Do you really create these recipes? Or someone else.
    Thanks for sharing.

They are my recipes, PSH!

However, I would like to feature “guest” recipes more in future, as the need for recipes exceeds my capacity to generate them, given that I still have day job!

20. Patti Evans says:

But are these biscuits light and fluffy? Can they be rolled, instead of dropped? Every other biscuit recipe I’ve tried, they are so dense. :-(