Tomato Basil Sandwich Wrap

Here’s another winner recipe from wheat-free champion nutritionist, Maria Emmerich! This one is for a very simple but tasty sandwich wrap with the flavors of tomato and basil.

Make a supply ahead of time, then stuff with lettuce, sprouts, tomato, (uncured, unprocessed) meats, some mustard, hummus, healthy mayonnaise, or salad dressing, and you’re ready to go!

If you don’t have a basil Marinara, you can always add a teaspoon of dried or finely-chopped fresh basil or other herbs/spices.

(More of Maria’s excellent recipes, along with her discussions, can be found on her Nutritious and Delicious Journal blog, as well as in her several books.)

Maria’s Tomato Basil Sandwich Wrap
Makes 10 servings

1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (or 3/4 cup coconut flour)
5 TBS psyllium husk powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 eggs (4 if using coconut flour)
1 cup basil Marinara sauce (without added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup)

In a medium sized bowl, combine the almond/coconut flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won’t work), and salt. Add in the eggs and combine until a thick dough. Add Marinara sauce into the bowl. Mix until well combined. Let sit for a minute or two until the dough gels up.

Separate into 10 balls (about 2 inches in diameter). Place the dough onto a piece of greased parchment paper (I used THIS coconut oil spray). Top with another greased piece of parchment. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out in a circle shape with even thickness throughout. This dough is very forgiving, so if you don’t make a circle with the rolling pin, use your hands to perfect your tortilla.

Heat a large pan to medium-high heat with coconut oil or coconut oil spray. Once hot, place an unbaked tortilla on the pan (if the tortilla sticks to the parchment the first time, as it did for me, use your hands to close up any holes…the dough is still very forgiving) and saute until light brown, then flip and bake through.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per tortilla)
Traditional Tortilla = 140 calories, 3g fat, 4g protein, 25 carbs, trace fiber
Almond Flour Tortilla = 105 calories, 7.5g fat, 4.1g protein, 5.6g carb, 3.8g fiber (1.8 effective carbs)
Coconut Flour Tortilla = 71 calories, 2.6g fat, 3.4g protein, 7.4g carbs, 5.2g fiber (2.2 effective carbs)

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Tomato Basil Sandwich Wrap

1. Meadow says:

Maria,
    If I have left over cooked wraps, can the wraps be stored in a container at room temperature? Or do the wraps need to be stored in a refrigerator? Also, about how long will the cooked wraps stay fresh in the refrigerator or container at room temperature? Thank you for your time!

2. Looks good. Tried the Flax Seed Wraps in the WB Book—and mine are always hard as a rock—hubby doesn’t like them too much. Maybe he’d like these… Where do you find physllium powder?? (It’s a fiber, right?) At the health food store? Whole Foods? Suggestions…

• Wendybird13 says:

I found psyllium husk powder at a natural food store in the supplement section. It’s basically unflavored Metamucil.

• Christina says:

My plan tonight was to make these wraps, but I forgot the psyllium husk powder and was very disappointed until I read this comment. My roommate has a fiber supplement and I checked the back and it was psyllium husk and some other stuff that I didn’t really look at. So on to mixing with the almond powder, hmm…psyllium husk smells a bit citrusy…add the eggs…why is it orange? What were those other ingredients. Oh noo….well, let’s add some parmesan and garlic and see what happens.

Would you believe me if I said it wasn’t bad? Ok, so they definitely have a strong hint of orange flavor but they are ok. I’m impressed with the texture and underlying flavor. Since I dropped one on the floor and burned two I only have 7 to eat before trying this again. Perhaps one day I won’t be so absent minded.

3. Cheryl says:

Wow these are great! Had a turkey sandwich with cheese yumm. The only problem I had was they were on the thicker side I had a problem getting them thinner…any suggestions?

To Suzie, yes go to any healthfood store and they carry physllium powder.

4. Jessica says:

I made these amazing tortillas tonight, stuffed with tender leftover pot roast, roasted mini bell peppers, roasted onions and Portabella mushrooms, shredded lettuce, tomato and a dollop of seasoned plain Greek yogurt resulting in an extraordinary wrap.

On the side, we had a romaine lettuce salad tossed with a homemade walnut oil mayonnaise dressing, and a big plate of fresh steamed (locally grown) green beans drizzled with lemon butter.

As dessert enthusiasts, and now both at our ideal weight thanks to Wheat Belly (hubby lost 30 pounds. I lost years of agonizing spinal pain) we enjoyed a little plate of low carb, sugar free fudge. Comfortably full, neither of grazes after our dinner and dessert, as we did for many years.

Seven weeks from today, my hubby retires after 42 years on the same job, and we’re off to travel the world for the next 5-10 years, an impossible feat for either of us had it not been for Wheat Belly and Dr. Davis. Add the HIIT fitness training program we learned from Jonathan Bailor”s, The Smarter Science of Slim and we are more fit and healthier than we’ve ever been. My husband’s IBS/Celiac symptoms are gone along with 7 pills a day!!! Thanks Dr. Davis.

Off we go, taking this new way of eating around the world to prove to ourselves that we can say goodbye to pasta and bread while in Tuscany all next summer, desserts on cruises, patisseries in France. Join us on our travels on our blog and recipes along the way at: http://www.worldwidewaftage.com

Warmest regards,
    Jessica

5. NanaRita says:

I made these wraps last night and they are delicious. I finally got hang of making them by using my panini maker! I was going to put the panini maker in the next yard sale because I wasn’t using it any more. I found a handy use for my old appliance.

Love this blog,
    NanaRita

6. Cheryl Johnson says:

Dr. Davis, can this be made without the eggs but with a vegan egg substitute instead? If so, how ??
    Cheryl

You nay have to experiment, Cheryl.

Possibilities: 1 tablespoon ground golden flaxseed or ground chia seed per egg, along with additional water or other liquid to generate the consistency you desire.

Warning: I’ve not tested these substitutions, so cannot vouch for the taste/texture/polish of the recipe with these substitutions.

Should you try it, please tell us what you learn!

7. Katrina says:

Hi Dr. Davis,

Thank you so much for posting the great recipes. After reading your book, I finally understood why the doctors would tell me when I was little and complaining of awful stomach aches that “I need to rearrange some of the psychological aspects of my life” when all along I was probably suffering from a form of gluten sensitivity. I have been pretty much wheat free now for 81/2 weeks and I already have noticed a huge difference in how I am feeling. I am still trying to learn the techniques of cooking gluten free but I am very excited about it and I am looking forward to trying this wrap out.

I have a question regarding protein. Please forgive me if you explained this in the book because it has been quite a few weeks since I last read it! I noticed in the smoothie recipe in the Wheat Belly book it calls for whey protein, is there any harm in using a soy/milk based protein? What is the difference between the two?

Thanks,

Katrina

Every protein powder has a unique potential problem: whey triggers insulin, milk triggers insulin, soy is an increasingly uncertain food given its now extensive genetic modification.

I don’t think, however, barring unique individual susceptibilities, that occasional use of any of them is likely to result in substantial problems.

8. Lisa says:

This is the most delicious wrap I have ever tasted! Even way better than the flour tortillas of my wheat days…
    I am having a problem getting them to the proper consistency. They are too sticky and get way too thin when rolled making it impossible to shape and transfer into the pan. I also tried using a flat cookie sheet and baking it in the oven, but it was difficult to get it off the pan, I had to scrape it off and it just left a (tasty!) crumbled mess. Any suggestions as to how to firm up the dough, also, it didn’t “gel” at all, the way the recipe said it would…
    Hope I can perfect this, this will become my staple lunch food if I can!!

9. Chrissy Shannon says:

Are the flaxseed wraps commercially available anywhere, like at Whole Foods or something?

Thanks!

10. Debbie says:

I rolled them out between the parchment as directed and found it very difficult to remove it from the bottom layer effectively so I thought I’d try flipping it over stuck to the paper into the heated pan and as it cooked the paper would loosen enough to remove it. I also found that the required liquid was not enough so I added a bit more water, enough that the dough balls would stick together nicely. My household was very impressed with this homemade tortilla recipe.

11. Darlene says:

When I made these wraps for the first time today, I very stupidly used 1 1/4 C of COCONUT flour, and didn’t realize it until I’d added the powder and eggs. Rather than throw away those expensive ingredients, I added another egg(I had already added 4) , tablespoon of powder and a little additional tomato sauce. They still came out awesome! After about 8 wks of wheat-free, my hubby and I are thrilled to be able to have a sandwich again!!

I found the hardest part was rolling them out into a circle. After a few, I rolled them larger than called for and then cut around them using a small plate. (kind of like making cut-out cookies).
    Also, I wondered if you can substitute veg broth or another liquid in place of the marinara sauce to get a different flavor?

Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
    Darlene

• Tiffany Scher says:

I just made these with pumpkin puree instead of tomato basil…. (see my post below). I think there are other possibilities… maybe use applesauce or chicken broth or butternut squash puree….. maybe even pureed strawberries and fill the wrap with something creamy ….. have fun and let us know what you try next!

12. Devon says:

With this recipe, could I make a large batch of these wraps and freeze them??

Devon

13. James says:

Wow Dr Davis! I just made some, that’s an amazing wrap!! So tasty! The only thing I changed though is that I made my own basil marinara, it takes ~ 30mn to make and is real easy.
    I am really impressed at how good it is … hat down doc!

J.

14. Katie says:

What could I use instead of psyllium powder? I really don’t like it for many reasons….

15. Tiffany Scher says:

I just found this blog (looking for wheat free recipes) and just tried this recipe. It was great! i’m so excited to find something like this. I think next time I’m going to puree my sauce, which will help it roll out thinner and more uniform. As I was making this I got an idea… why not try pumpkin? So, here is what I did in my next batch:
    added a tablespoon of cinnamon, a splash of vanilla, a packet of truvia and 1 cup of pumpkin (I omitted the salt and the tomato sauce). I used coconut oil to grease my pan, to add to the sweetness of the wrap. They turned out great!! I have no idea if this is in line with the Wheat Belly diet…. but it works for me. I think these would be great spread with cream cheese and sprinkled with dark or bitter chocolate shavings… but I’m allergic to dairy and will try spreading peanut or almond butter on them with bitter chocolate for tomorrow’s breakfast. yum!

16. Jill says:

Great idea! I think I’ll make them into pop tart size and put in the freezer for the kids to pull out for breakfast. They can pop them in the toast or eat frozen (they love frozen waffles).
    Jill

• Tanya says:

Well I just made these as the picture looked so tempting, and I do sometimes feel like having ‘bread’.

Let’s just say that mine definitely do not look even remotely similar to those up there. I did not have the basil marinara so I had to substitute, I used dried herbs as was suggested, basil, oregano, chives, and then for moisture content tossed in a tin of tomato paste & a splash of olive oil. I also used a 3rd egg as I used more than the suggested amount of almond flour as I had a small amount leftover & it was silly to put that back. Perhaps that’s what made them heavier? Anyway mine are definitely not “rollupable”! The first one actually held together removing it from the pan, albeit slightly overdone on the bottom. All subsequent ones either tore as I flipped them, or tore as I removed them to the plate for cooling. However they are very tasty, and as I kept working on the next one I kept tearing off the edges of the one cooling & nibbling on it! Plus my kitchen smells pretty good!

Whoever made the ones in the picture must be a professional chef or something, because those look amazing, as good or better than ‘store bought’ tortillas! No way mine will roll up, but I will still eat them as a ‘flat bread’ beside or underneath a meat dish or salad. I think I will attempt these again in the future, if I can find (or make) a basil marinara and follow the recipe precisely.

• James says:

Hello,

I have made them twice already an I am certainly not a pro. They came out perfect, just like on the picture, very “rollable”. I gave the recipe to a couple of friends of mine who just made some and they reported great success. Not sure about your preparation but I think the sauce is a must for making them properly. You can easily make it yourself prior to the dough, it will take only 20-30mn.

J.

No professional chef: just Maria, who is a genius for her photography.

You might try using less psyllium seed to start. One of the factors we cannot control in recipes is variation in your specific ingredients.

17. Amy McKee says:

I made this last night, substituted the eggs with chia (2 Tablespoons chia meal & 6 Tablespoons water, gelled) and used almond meal instead of flour. I rolled it into a 1/4 inch thick circle and baked it on parchment paper at 350 for 30 minutes. It turned out amazing, we used it for a pizza base. It even “rose” quite a bit, was bready and delicious! Thanks for the recipe! :-)

18. candy says:

has anyone tried to used the flax seed wrap from the WBbook and bake it after microwave with pizza sauce and toppings?

19. Beryl says:

Hi

I was delighted to come across this recipe, and couldn’t wait to start. I didn’t have any almond flour, so used ground almonds instead. I also made my own marinara sauce, which tasted absolutely delicious. However, when I attempted to roll it out, I was unsuccessful. The mixture appeared too moist and stuck to the parchment paper. I then added more almond meal which made the dough firmer, but I still couldn’t roll it out. I eventually made small ones about three inches across, but I really wanted a large sized wrap so I could use it to put salad in, or something similar. Where am I going wrong? I must add the mixture tasted very good!

I wonder if the almond meal you used was somehow different and caused this effect. Anyway, you might try just a 1/2 teaspoon of ground psyllium or ground golden flaxseed; it might provide a bit more sturdiness and absorb the extra moisture. Should you try it, please update us with your results!

20. Jen says:

Are these ok to eat?

Smart & Delicious™ Wheat & Gluten-Free Softwraps™

Enjoy the savory taste and mouth feel of our Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Wraps. Perfect for those who are “gluten intolerant” or choose to eat “wheat-free”. These wraps are made from Millet and Teff, two highly nutritious ancient grains that are gluten-free and packed with 15g of whole grains per serving and a good source of dietary fiber. Make delicious wrap sandwiches, burritos, enchiladas or simply add your favorite gluten- free filling.

Gluten-Free, Ivory Teff Wrap

Ingredients: water, tapioca flour, whole grain ivory teff flour, whole grain millet flour, canola oil, soy lecithin, colloid powder (cellulose gum, maltodextrin, carrageenan), contains less than 2% of each of the following: guar gum, sea salt, honey, aluminum free leavening (monocalcium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch), to maintain freshness (sorbic acid and calcium propionate).