Tomato Basil Sandwich Wrap

Here’s another winner recipe from wheat-free champion nutritionist, Maria Emmerich! This one is for a very simple but tasty sandwich wrap with the flavors of tomato and basil.

Make a supply ahead of time, then stuff with lettuce, sprouts, tomato, (uncured, unprocessed) meats, some mustard, hummus, healthy mayonnaise, or salad dressing, and you’re ready to go!

If you don’t have a basil Marinara, you can always add a teaspoon of dried or finely-chopped fresh basil or other herbs/spices.

(More of Maria’s excellent recipes, along with her discussions, can be found on her Nutritious and Delicious Journal blog, as well as in her several books.)

Maria’s Tomato Basil Sandwich Wrap
Makes 10 servings

1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (or 3/4 cup coconut flour)
5 TBS psyllium husk powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 eggs (4 if using coconut flour)
1 cup basil Marinara sauce (without added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup)

In a medium sized bowl, combine the almond/coconut flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won’t work), and salt. Add in the eggs and combine until a thick dough. Add Marinara sauce into the bowl. Mix until well combined. Let sit for a minute or two until the dough gels up.

Separate into 10 balls (about 2 inches in diameter). Place the dough onto a piece of greased parchment paper (I used THIS coconut oil spray). Top with another greased piece of parchment. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out in a circle shape with even thickness throughout. This dough is very forgiving, so if you don’t make a circle with the rolling pin, use your hands to perfect your tortilla.

Heat a large pan to medium-high heat with coconut oil or coconut oil spray. Once hot, place an unbaked tortilla on the pan (if the tortilla sticks to the parchment the first time, as it did for me, use your hands to close up any holes…the dough is still very forgiving) and saute until light brown, then flip and bake through.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per tortilla)
Traditional Tortilla = 140 calories, 3g fat, 4g protein, 25 carbs, trace fiber
Almond Flour Tortilla = 105 calories, 7.5g fat, 4.1g protein, 5.6g carb, 3.8g fiber (1.8 effective carbs)
Coconut Flour Tortilla = 71 calories, 2.6g fat, 3.4g protein, 7.4g carbs, 5.2g fiber (2.2 effective carbs)

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Tomato Basil Sandwich Wrap

1. Elsie says:

Many of the recipes call for almond flour/meal. I have a sensitivity to almonds and would like to substitute the something else for the almond flour. Any suggestions?

2. Elsie says:

Many of the recipes in your book call for almond flour/meal. I have a sensitivity to almonds. What can I use as a substitute? Thanks

3. Nimbrethil says:

I have no idea what psyllium husk even is. Is this something I can find at natural foods stores that specialize in allergen-free foods? Or is it readily available in any grocery?

Can anyone whose tried these wraps say whether they freeze well? If not, how long would they keep in the fridge?

> I have no idea what psyllium husk even is.

It’s basically Metamucil, without the wheat and/or sugar.
      Yes, using it may accelerate your outcomes.

• Nimbrethil says:

…..

Maybe I’ll try a substitute anyway. I’ve officially been totally off wheat for about a week now, and I’ve got plenty of outcomes without any extra help.

4. Nimbrethil says:

Also, I know you say no substitutes, but then you mention flaxseed. What about xanthan gum? Will it absolutely not work?

5. Sara says:

I couldn’t get then to stick together during cooking them. I can only imagine the frustration of trying to wrap something in these.

6. Lizzie says:

I also have had no luck with this recipe. Have given up on this one.

7. mmohr says:

I finally figured out the secret to making these wraps! I used all the ingredients as listed: psyllium (which I found in my grocery store in the aisle with “natural foods”), almond meal flour, etc. in the amounts listed. When I tried to roll them out using wax paper and non stick spray they stuck and it seemed like they were way too soft. They sort of smeared on the wax paper. So I rolled them into two inch balls but then I refrigerated them for over an hour. When I rolled them out after refrigeration time, they felt more solid and not as sticky to the touch. I did not use any spray at all on the wax paper. Also, I used a non stick pan to cook them in and used medium heat instead of medium high. I made 2 of them and kept the rest of the “dough” balls in the refrigerator to make later. I’m thinking they will roll out even easier after being in the refrigerator overnight.