Size 12 down to size 4, 7.75 inches off the waist, and goodbye diabetes!

Those of you who have been following these conversations over the past several months have noticed that many people with diabetes and pre-diabetes are experiencing marked reductions in waist size and, with it, reductions in blood sugar and hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, the value that reflects blood sugar fluctuations over the preceding 2-3 months.

In other words, people are becoming less diabetic and pre-diabetic, many to the point of being non-diabetic and non-pre-diabetic!

Patty posted this comment about her escape from diabetes to non-diabetes:

I was diagnosed as prediabetic 4 years ago.

I was put on glucophage and sent to a nutritionist. I subsequently followed the diabetic diet. My weight increased as did my waistline and, lo and behold, I was advised that I was diabetic and the glucophage was increased.

Back in November, my HbA1C was 8.7%. I began decreasing the carbs in my diet and by February my HbA1C was 7.0%.

[Note: HbA1c of 5.7% or greater is in the pre-diabetic range; 6.5% or greater diabetic. Ideal HbA1c, I would argue, is 5.0%, though 5.3% essentially erases all the long-term adverse consequences of high blood sugar and glycation.]

I then found your Wheat Belly diet book. The bagel pics intrigued me since I have always had problems “digesting” bagels. I have been following your Wheat Belly diet since March. I just got my bloodwork back and my HbA1C is now 5.7%. I have lost 7.75 inches off my waistline (my pants went from size 12 tightly to size 4).

I am thrilled and convinced this Wheat Free Adventure is a permanent way of life for me. I can’t thank you enough for your insight and willingness to expose all the falsehoods we are being taught in diabetes classes at the hands of the diabetic drug makers.

A drop in HbA1c from 8.7% to 5.7% is HUGE. And nearly 8 inches in waist size?! Given the magnitude of drop, Patty is likely to watch this value plummet even farther just by staying the course, as HbA1c tends to move slowly, given its “moving average” nature. The reversal of insulin resistance and diabetes is compounded by the dramatic reduction in visceral fat and the elimination of inflammation-provoking gliadin and wheat germ agglutinin. The longer she does it, the better it gets.

Patty learned on her own that 1) the American Diabetes Association diet sustains or worsens diabetes, and 2) increases the need for medication. It is not uncommon, by the way, with complex diabetic regimens, to require $1000+ per month in medications to control blood sugar adhering to a diet that provides a continual flow of blood sugar- and inflammation-causing foods like wheat. I regard the advice to eat plenty of carbohydrates and lots of “healthy whole grains” in diabetics as among the biggest and most inexcusable nutritional crimes of the century.

Patty discovered that, in the world of modern high-yield, semi-dwarf wheat, 2 + 2 = 11. In other words, just removing the carbohydrate burden of “healthy whole grains” doesn’t seem to account for the full magnitude of health benefits experienced: the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Lose the wheat, lose the diabetes. And, to further stack the odds in your favor, lose the carbohydrates.

This entry was posted in Diabetes. Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to Size 12 down to size 4, 7.75 inches off the waist, and goodbye diabetes!

1. Bruce S says:

Wheatbelly a fascinating read. I’ve been prediabetic for some time and am always looking for ways to reduce blood sugars and sometimes it’s not easy. A year ago I purchased “The 30 Day Diabetes Cure” online by Dr. Stephan Ripich ND, CNP. And you wouldn’t believe what he has to say about grains. Whole Grains Are Diabetes Fighters, Enjoy Whole Grains For Breakfast, The Top 10 Diabetes-Healing Whole Grains (rye, barley, whole wheat, etc.), are some of the headlines in a particular chapter. He goes on to say that whole grains are true diabetes fighters because they’re packed with fiber, which slows digestion and sends a steady flow of glucose to your bloodstream at a rate your metabolism can handle, instead of the peaks and valleys caused by a glucose rush from fast carbs. And this is exactly how you’ll control and eventually reverse Type 2 Diabetes.

I’m sure he meant well, but I guess all I can say after reading Wheatbelly is that perhaps Dr. Davis’ info is just simply more up to date than the info in the 30 Day Diabetes Cure. Is it safe to say that? I would be awfully curious to know what Dr. Ripich would say about Wheatbelly.

2. Jay says:

We saw you on a program quite some time ago & were amazed. Thanks for the heads up.
    Secondly, I am sure you have heard all this before, but after seeing this gentleman’s blog, felt compelled to send you the link for whatever you choose to do with it.
    Thanks again,
    J&B

Nothing, Jay.

A couple of points that he disagrees with do NOT invalidate the entire set of arguments.

This is the kind of tripe that comes out when something achieves widespread awareness. It’s like saying that, because cigarettes make you breathe deeply, they surely must not be unhealthy. What is incredible is that this is coming from within the gluten-free community, a clear ploy for attention-getting.

3. Jessica Steele says:

Dear Dr. Davis,
    I became aware of you thanks to the Weston A. Price Foundation of which I am a member. As you probably know, they gave your book a “thumbs-up”.

Our family has been eating a mainly traditional foods diet for the last 4 years. What caused this change in our diet was our son (3 years old) at the time was diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes. We are always looking to improve our diet to help our son be as healthy as possible.

We have been wheat-free for about 10 days. As or family continues this journey, I have a few questions to ask regarding a few of the grains we’ve been eating. First, I have been baking with sprouted wheat flour as opposed to regular wheat flour. What is your opinion regarding sprouted grains and the changes that occurs with sprouting. Does sprouting not affect the Gliadin in the grain? Second, we enjoy our soaked oatmeal porridge during the winter months and you don’t recommend eating oats either. What are the reasons behind this? We eat the porridge with plenty of butter and fresh raw cream.

I understand your reasons for cutting carbs way back for weight-loss. Our son does need very healthy carbohydrates so his insulin has something to work on. (Our son’s insulin intake is about 1/3 less than children his same age thanks to the traditional foods diet). Also, our family is not overweight (hubby could lose about 10 lbs. I’m a size 6 and hubby said no more wight loss for me)!

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for changing to a wheat-free diet and having enough carbohydrates/calories for a growing 7 year-old. Any information to improve our health is welcome!

Thank You!
    Jessica

I’m afraid, Jessica, that sprouted wheat flour is essentially just as poisonous as unsprouted. All the nasty components are virtually unchanged except for a modest reduction in amylopectin A and amylose.

Please note that type 1 diabetes is increasingly appearing to be a disease of wheat consumption in the genetically susceptible. Your son’s likelihood of celiac disease, for instance, is 10-20 fold greater than other kids. It means that wheat may have been at the root of his type 1 diabetes. If this were my son, I would have him follow a strict no-wheat, no-gluten diet.

While we need a lot less carbs than most people think, kids can do okay with some more fruit, some rices and potatoes, and relatively benign non-wheat grains like buckwheat, wild rice, and millet.

4. Kathy says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 37. I have always been a “carboholic” and growing up suffered from lots of stomach issues. After reading your book, I’m convinced that I was always wheat intolerant and my diet just eventually got the best of my health. (I have a son who is very allergic to wheat and another son with ADHD so my household was in desperate need of your book/advice.)

I also have other interesting health issues: Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Reynaud’s Syndrome, alopecia areata, high blood pressure and slightly elevated cholesterol. I also have only 1 kidney as I donated one to my sister (pre diabetes and the Hashimoto’s was first noted (goiter) during my post-op kidney donation exam. A “day late and a dollar short!” Both of my sisters have kidney failure due to HUS (hemolitic, uremic syndrome). As you can see, ours is a very interesting genetic mess!

So, now that you have some background, I’m curious how this new lifestyle (been following your WB plan for 2 weeks so far) will affect me. After reading your book, I hope to NEVER put wheat in my mouth again. I think of it as poison. However, I don’t have any hopes for disease reversal as I know this is impossible with my issues. I have not yet begun to feel better due to bloating (just started probiotics) nor have I lost any weight. I have noticed, though, that my blood sugars are finally stable! Hooray! I can’t tell you how many doctors I’ve argued with that I was following their plan exactly and still my post meal blood sugars would spike to the 200s. So nice to have that finally under control. It would have been nice to have had this knowledge through both of my pregnancies! I was over 40 for both and followed strict diets that included 40 – 60 grams of complex carbs per meal. You can imagine how frustrating it was every single time I checked my post meal blood sugar! Of course, the obvious always followed – bolus of insulin to bring down the BS. Which always led to a …. you guessed it… low blood sugar which required some fast acting calories (milk usually). Needless to say, I gained 65 lbs with my first. I am still walking around with about 30 of those. I was skinny my whole life until then. Now, 11 years later, at 51yrs old, I have added more lbs to those and am desperate to get healthy.

Sorry this is so long. Any advice would be appreciated more than you could ever know.
    Kathy

I predict, Kathy, that no only will you feel better and lose weight, but most, if not ALL, of your conditions (except the type 1 diabetes) will improve or reverse!

Note that, given the adult onset of type 1, you are highly likely to have celiac disease. If your doctors did not point this out, they have done you a grave disservice.

Please update us with your progress because I predict it will be worth a celebration!

5. Jessica Steele says:

Update: Sept. 26, 2012
    Thank you for your reply Dr. Davis. Confession time: On the 24th we “fell-off-the-wagon” and had homemade waffles for dinner. The next day (25th) we had the left over waffles for breakfast. All day our son’s glucose was high, even with corrections. Today, we have not had any wheat and the only high blood glucose was after lunch (his ratio may need adjusting). How many days does it take to get one’s equilibrium back? He is also coughing quite a bit today, as well.
    Also, what is your opinion regarding sprouted brown rice flour? We can’t afford almond flour and I’ve found a source that sells all sorts of sprouted flour products, such as buckwheat, millet, lentils, etc.
    Again, thank you so much for your insight and information!

Check internet sources for almond flour.
      They are usually 1/2 if not 1/3 of retail store prices.
      Learn the difference between blanched and unblanched.

It takes around 24 hours just for the blood sugars to return to something close to normal. The inflammatory phenomena, such as your son’s coughing/airway inflammation, can require several days.

All that stuff is not so good. Not as bad as wheat, but not good, either. You might say that grains are a calorie source, but a compromise in health no matter what form they take. The less, the better.

6. Jenny Street says:

Could someone please explain to me how I am supposed to see the reply to my comment? I have not received an email or anything to say there was a response and I can’t find the comment now. I don’t even know where to look other than search the blog with the word ‘diabetic.’ Nothing comes up that I have written. I have also signed up for the recipes to come to my email and I have only received 1 in 2 months. This is very frustrating and if I actually get an answer to THIS question, I don’t know that I will ever see it. Help me out here. My email is jl.street@hotmail.com… thanks.

7. Daniel says:

I’ve been following a diet called the Diabetes Miracle by Diane Cress. It’s basically a low carb diet, and has worked well for me – when I adhere to it. my A1C’s have dropped from over to to 6.1. Am wondering if anyone is familiar with this plan and how it compares with this one?

8. Rich says:

Please do not give TRUE diabetics false hope, be a responsible MD and clarify that you can reverse type 2 diabetes by eating healthier. Cutting wheat out of your diet will not make a pancreas function again. You should be ashamed of yourself. Do no harm.

• Hugh says:

Rich – You use the same key words as my recently-fired Physician. Yes, I fired him.
      “TRUE diabetic”; type 2 diabetes cannot be reversed. What you left out is that ‘a type 2 diabetic will be on “diabetic medications for the rest of their life”.
      Are you a rep for the Pharmaceutical industry? Who else would close with the “Do no harm” pontification, while so many of us are beating back type 2 diabetes through a wheat-free diet.
      As for stating that a “shot” pancreas will not function again, how can we be certain? We used to believe that the adult brain could not generate new cells – now we know the adult brain does generate new cells. Try reading “The Biology of Belief” to gain an insight into ways our bodies may recover.
      Then again, … you may be a rep for the Agri-industry. Which may it be?