Peanut Butter and Jelly Macaroons

If you miss peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, you’re going to absolutely love these peanut butter and jelly macaroons!

Not everybody loves the taste or texture of coconut. This issue is solved by the first step: toasting shredded coconut, then reducing them down to a granular consistency. This yields a macaroon consistency without the dominant coconut taste, replaced instead with the flavors of PB & J.

I’ve specified liquid stevia as the sweetener, but this is easily replaced by your choice of sweetener. Note that, regardless of which sweetener used, they vary in sweetness from brand to brand and the quantity required to equal the ½ cup of sugar equivalent can vary. It always helps to taste your batter and adjust sweetness.

Also, I used Swerve in this recipe, the erythritol-inulin mix that enhances texture, but its use is optional. (A good replacement would be Trader Joes inulin-based stevia powder.)

As written, each macaroon contains just over 3 grams “net” carbohydrates (total carbs minus fiber), meaning you can have several before doing any damage!

Makes 24 macaroons

3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup dried unsweetened cherries (or other unsweetened berries)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
¼ cup natural peanut butter, room temperature
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon liquid stevia or sweetener equivalent to ½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons Swerve

Preheat oven to 300° F.

In large bowl, combine coconut, vanilla and almond extracts, and mix.

Spread mixture on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very lightly browned. Be careful not to burn. Remove and cool. (Leave oven at 300° F.)

When cooled, using food chopper, food processor, or coffee grinder, pulse coconut mixture until coconut reduced to consistency of coffee grounds. Pour back into bowl. Stir in coconut flour.

Place cherries or other berries in food chopper, food processor, or coffee grinder and pulse until reduced to small granules or paste. Remove with spatula and add to coconut mixture. Set aside.

Place egg whites in bowl and whip until frothy and stiff peaks form.

In small microwave-safe bowl, combine coconut oil and peanut butter and microwave in 10-second increments until warm (not hot) liquid. Stir in egg whites, followed by stevia and Swerve, and blend thoroughly.

Dispense dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet using a 1 ½-inch cookie scooper or spoons.

Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Peanut Butter and Jelly Macaroons

1. EarlyI says:

I made the recipe for a pot luck luncheon. They were well received but having sampled the raw dough, the cooked product didn’t not have much peanut butter/jelly taste at all. I used the powdered Trevia and my finished cookie only held together because I firmly pressed the scooped up dough in my hands. I can see this new world of non-wheat flour cooking is going to take a lot of testing .

2. Sherri Eley says:

Don’t waste your time or money on this one. I did. If you don’t mind eating the result with a spoon, then go for it. It also didn’t specify in the recipe instructions when to add the coconut flour. I added it where it made sense to me, but the dough would not stick together when I tried to form cookies. Pass this one by.

Correction made, Sherri. Thanks for catching.

I’m not sure what you are doing wrong. Tested it twice and worked great both times, as it has for others.

3. Tina Berryman says:

I thought these were delicious. The dough didn’t stick together for me, either, so I molded a small portion in the palm of my hand in order to form a cookie. Next time, though, I’ll simply plunk the dough in a small bake pan and cut it into bars after they’re baked. Will probably have to bake it a minute or two longer, but it will be much easier, and they should taste just as wonderful. I love the flavor and texture of coconut, so didn’t pulse the mixture. Thanks for another great recipe!

4. Pat Waite says:

I didn’t know what to do with the coconut flour from the original recipe either so I left it out. I also added another egg white which made them moister and easier to work with. Everything was scoopable and held together just fine. I could not find dried unsweetened berries so I thought of leaving them out and coating the top with a chocolate mixture made from 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate, 1 1/2 tbsp. butter, 1 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil and stevia adjusted to desired sweetness. My hope was to make them more like reeses pieces. It worked pretty well but next time I would use more peanut butter to get the nice chocolate/peanut butter contrast. I will have to reconsider those extra egg whites if I add more sticky peanut butter, but then again, maybe not!

5. Boundless says:

> Also, I used Swerve in this recipe, the erythritol-inulin mix that …

At swervesweetener.com, Swerve does not list inulin as an ingredient. Their FAQ, however, contains a poorly-worded answer that leaves the matter unclear. Does anyone have any further information?

Hi, Boundless–

Looks like they call it “oligosaccharides” on their website.

There are indeed variations among the various oligosaccharides due to variations in the sugar monomers that constitute the complex polymeric oligosaccharide structure. But they are all meant to be indigestible to humans, instead digested to fatty acids in the intestinal tract by gut bacteria, thus the gas effect experienced by some people.