Down and out wheat addiction

Anne posted this comment. Her story provides a perfect example of the wheat withdrawal process we encounter when we go wheat-free.

I finished reading your book. I’m truly inspired to make a lifestyle change, but have failed at all attempts to start.

I’ll make it through a better part of the day and eventually give in. The most I have made it is 3 days. I get crabby, dizzy, lightheaded, and feel tired & weak.

Any suggestions??? I feel I’m destined to be fat forever! I’ve been overweight (50-75 lbs. for the past 10 years) and I’ve tried every diet, some extreme, but they work temporarily and I regain it back.

There are no secret remedies except to understand that Anne is an opiate addict.

She is addicted to the gliadin opiate in wheat. There is no way to become no longer addicted . . . except to stop eating it.

The gliadin protein of wheat, degraded in the gastrointestinal tract to small polypeptides that act as opiates called exorphins, cause addictive eating, food obsession, and incessant hunger; removal generates a withdrawal syndrome.

Imagine you’re an alcoholic. How do you get off alcohol? Stop drinking, of course. There is no easy solution except to remove the thing that destroyed your health in the first place. (Alcoholics do have the option of taking a class of drugs called benzodiazepines to smooth the transition, but there is no such drug for the opiate in wheat. There is, of course, the opiate-blocking drug naltrexone, but that does not smooth the withdrawal, only provoke its onset.)

So Anne must brace herself for a withdrawal effect that may last 5 days, 7 days, occasionally longer. Given her emotional and physical turmoil, she is best choosing a non-stressful period to do so, e.g., vacation, not a high-pressure week at work. Don’t expect to exercise or meet new challenges during wheat withdrawal because it will only make you miserable, your performance will be awful. Having anything made of wheat to soften the blow will only reinvigorate the addiction and prolong the withdrawal.

Recognize that this is an absolutely crucial step in regaining health. The gliadin protein that lies at the root of wheat addiction exerts other effects, such as joint inflammation, hormonal distortions, mind “fog,” and depression. This gliadin protein, inadvertently changed during genetic manipulations of the 1970s to create the high-yield, semi-dwarf strain of wheat, lies at the root of the evil effects of this agricultural Frankengrain. Lose the wheat, thereby lose the gliadin opiate, and health and weight loss can finally proceed.

Is it any wonder that Big Food puts wheat flour in EVERYTHING?

Additional strategies that can make this sometimes terrible process a bit more tolerable include:

–Vigorous hydration
–Adding salt to your diet (unless, of course, you have some bona fide reason not to)
–Consider a probiotic–e.g., 50 billion CFUs or greater per day to accelerate the recovery of normal bowel flora and minimize the gastrointestinal disruption (gas, cramps, constipation) that results in some people.
–Consider magnesium supplementation–e.g., magnesium malate, 1200 mg twice per day
–Consider vitamin D supplementation–since it makes you feel clearer and stronger and improves health, an effect second only to wheat elimination in health benefits. Most adults require 6000 units per day in gelcap form to achieve a healthy 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood level of 60-70 ng/ml.
–Consider a high-potency multivitamin–that provides zinc, B12, B6, folate, iron (females primarily) to address the common deficiencies that develop in wheat-consuming people.
Indulge yourself–Buy a new outfit that you will be able to wear when you lose the 40 pounds you want to get rid of. Get a massage. Watch a comedy and laugh.

You will survive! But, like an alcoholic having his last swig of bourbon, it is an absolutely necessary step to say good riddance to all wheat-containing foods.

This entry was posted in Appetite stimulation, Gliadin. Bookmark the permalink.

112 Responses to Down and out wheat addiction

1. Stan says:

One of the things I like about this site and Dr. Davis–he pulls no punches. Gives it to us raw without the concern for political correctness of which there is plenty around to enable conformity.

There is no getting around the horrible realization that any wheat-based product–maybe 60% or more of the food we ingest demands that our bodies will not stop begging us until we give it more of the buns, bread, thick sauces, cereal, pie and the thousands more where grain is actually added to most everything.

If that wasn’t addicted in and of itself, our food has the added ingredient of sweetened components that make it another 100% addicted for metabolic and palliative reasons. Imagine if the pharmaceutical/food chemist/medical entities decided to counter those addicted qualities of grain-based food without addressing the immunological- gastroenterlogical diseases from it. Then the damaged population would still be requiring enormous expenditure for care with the ensuing call for development of a cure for those diseases mentioned.

It’s a catch-up game that we are on to in the take-control-of-our-own-health community.

2. A says:

What Gigi and Howard bring up about supplements is right on. Three weeks ago, after continuing withdrawal symptoms, I came across an interview with Julia Ross, the author of “The Diet Cure.” In her book, she talks about different amino acids (l-glutamine, l-tyrosine, l-tryptophan, and several others) that have helped people with eating disorders, drug addictions, cravings, depression, the list goes on and on. Another author, Pam Killeen (Addiction: The Hidden Epidemic) writes about drug and alcohol addiction and how natural cures (again vitamins and amino acids and diet changes) have a very high success rate in helping people overcome their addictions. She interviews many professional therapists and physicians who use these protocols for addicts. I highly recommend both books to determine the correct amino acids and vitamins to quell cravings.
    Thank you Dr. Davis for your book. It has really opened my eyes to this awful epidemic.

Hi, A–

I have no experience with these regimens.

I will have to explore. If they hold potential for true benefit in wheat addiction/withdrawal, that would be a real breakthrough!

• clr says:

@ A and Dr.Davis,
        Yes, please research this incredible information. There is much more information on amino acids for addictions. See the work of Dr. Kenneth Blum, to whom Julia Ross gives credit in her books. Also, the work of Dr. Charles Gant. IMO Amino acids are the key to most any addiction, whether it is drugs, food, gambling, hoarding, etc.

• A says:

It would indeed Dr. Davis. Please look into it. In reading your book, I immediately cut out the wheat and like others, have had a great change in how I feel. The only thing that most bothered me was cravings for sweets. Ross suggests opening a capsule of L-glutamine and pouring the contents onto the tongue to ease a carb/sugar craving and for me, it really works. But I still have low-energy and have lost very little weight and suspect that my thyroid and/or adrenal function is out-of-whack (need to find a good/knowledgeable physician here in the Twin Cities for that). As I understand it, when a person starts a low-calorie diet, serotonin levels can drop dramatically in little time. And then the vicious cycle begins. Amino acids and B vitamins and other nutrients too numerous to mention are so important to optimal brain function. Dr. Davis, your nutrient suggestions above will help greatly, and if essential amino acids were added appropriately, I would guess the results and success rate for this awful addiction would be tremendous!

3. Tuck says:

What is your suggestion to over-eaters?

4. patricia says:

Hi ,
    My husband and I read your book in July and since we have lost a lot of weight and I am off my BP pills and he is having his meds changed as well. (he had an MI at 47) and a bypass.
    I have never been overweight with a BMI of 24 , but I had it all on my belly. I am a critical care nurse just retired after 40 yrs and I never could figure out why people who did everything I was taught to teach them still had all the major , supposedly, self-induced cardiac risk factors , and I know they tried so hard.
    You have evidence based logic here and I would tell anyone to just try it and see -it works this is a healthy way to eat and I look forward to planning meals now.
    Our blood work is so much better!

That’s great, Patricia!

You have witnessed first hand what a lifetime of “healthy eating” can do to people: myocardial infarctions, congestive heart failure, pulmonary emboli after knee replacements, multiple organ failure after chemotherapy, antibiotics and pressor support in the midst of bowel sepsis.

On the bright side: A simple shift in diet back to the way humans were meant to eat. Extraordinary things then happen in health!

But the ICUs will be quiet!

5. Stan says:

addicted=addictive

6. Kathhy says:

Dear Dr. Davis,
    I read your book “Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight” as well as reading “Eat to Live” by Joel Fuhrman. While there are some similarities-eat lots of vegetables and eat fewer or no grains- there are also many conflicting opinions/conclusions as well. Both books appear to be well researched and cited at least to my untrained eye. I have also been reading on the internet about the paleo eating lifestyle. I don’t need to lose weight, but I would like to eat healthy, nourishing foods and feed them to my family. Lately, I’ve been following a sort of combination Davis/Fuhrman diet and feel great. I have low thyroid, probably at least partly genetic because all six of my siblings also have low thyroid, which is being corrected with medication. Through my online research I keep reading about nuts and seeds and nightshade produce being bad for those with low thyroid. Your plan includes lots of nuts and seeds and I feel like my diet would be extremely boring and limited if I eliminated these foods. It would be even worse if I followed the Fuhrman plan of avoiding meat and most fats as well. How important is it to avoid nuts and nightshade when one has low thyroid but feels fine?

I believe it is entirely unimportant.

Many of the so-called “goitrogens,” or foods and chemicals that block thyroid only do so when you are iodine deficient, which is common.

So the key is to supplement iodine and not be subjected to these effects. I have patients supplement 500 mcg per day of iodine. It is easy, safe, and effective.

7. Elaine K. says:

Anne, I have been wheat free for 33 days now. The withdrawal phase is kind of scary, yes, but if you stick with it you only have to do it once. If you keep going back to wheat containing foods, you have to experience it over and over again. You can do it!! I can’t say that I have lost any weight but was not particularly heavy to begin with (130 lbs). But, I was always bloated and soooo uncomfortable with some very painful and distressing bathroom events. That is way better. And, I do not miss wheat even though I was a bread lover, toast was my go-to meal some evenings. My asthma and acid reflux symptoms are much improved as well. All in all, well worth doing. So stick with it. I had the same withdrawal symptoms as you, they only last about 5 days, if that. Be strong and hang in there.

Dr. Davis, what is your take on coconut palm sugar? Is it really any better than any of the other sugar subs?

Thanks for weighing in, Elaine.

But coconut palm sugar is sugar. Just like whole wheat bread is . . . bread.

8. Trina says:

Ugh … after months of convincing my mom to stop eating 2 slices of ww toast for breakfast and eat more eggs this article hit the news. I’m sure she thinks I’m trying to kill her. My husband said the news actually said to eat your whole grain cereal and stop eating eggs. I also just convinced my FIL (who was just diagnosed as prediabetic) to eat less wheat/grains and eat eggs for breakfast … honestly? His diabetes dietician already poo poo’d my advice and now this. His dietician told him “everything in moderation” and we actually “need” some sugar for our brains. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/13/egg-yolks-almost-as-unhealthy-as-cigarettes-study

• Rong says:

Yes, tell a heroin addict, a alcoholic, “everything in moderation”. What crap! These people are killing us. Telling a diabetic or pre diabetic to eat foods that spike blood sugar couldn’t be more stupid! My God it makes me furious.

• Trina says:

You and me both. Of course my MIL saw the news today too and called here tonight all worried that we had told my FIL to eat some eggs for breakfast instead of bread. They are in their seventies and it’s hard to try and explain any of this to them. They’ve both had cataracts and he’s on a statin for high cholesterol and she has hypertension … oh brother. The dietician told them whole wheat bread and brown rice are healthy choices … you know … in moderation.

• Phyllis Mueller says:

On her blog, Zoe Harcombe neatly dissects the egg-yolks-will-kill-you “study.” A worthwhile read.

• Trina says:

Thanks Phyllis – someone on Tom Naughton’s site pointed that post out to me too. It was a good read.

• Rong says:

I’m not yet in my seventies but I’m close. Just turned 68. I have reduced my blood pressure from a little high to excellent, my Crestor is been reduced down to 2.5mg/day, my Metformin has been cut by a third. I plan to cut another third if I continue to stay at 90 on my fasting blood sugar witch I take every morning. I lost 33 pounds. How were all these miracles produced? A grainectomy and low carb eating! No more or less exercise no diet pills only real food low in carbs and absolutely no grains. Lot’s of eggs though.
          As an aside, my HDL has risen from about 51 to 62 while my LDL has dropped to 49 from 54 and total cholesterol remained stable at 135. All this while reducing my Crestor. I don’t think I will be adding “moderation” to my diet any time soon. So, even in old age great things can happen with the right information.

• PHK says:

how about
        smoking in moderation?
        cocaine in moderation?
        haha

• wrotek says:

Lets eat some uranium 235 in moderation.

Fire the dietitian, Trina.

“Everything in moderation” might read better as “I have no idea what to say, so I will resort to the standard line that sounds like I am a fair-minded person who weighs all issues.”

It’s BS. You appear to know far more than the dietitian.

• Roger says:

EXPERTS?

An Ex–is a has been, and a “Spurt,” is the last sound a can makes, before you throw it away!

Wheat Belly has informed me, and has taught me to think for myself.

“Experts” in the Land Of The Powers That Be, elected and non-elected, are Wheat-Consuming Idiots, soon caught in their own web of IGNORANCE!

I am becomming almost as alergic to B.S. from “Experts,” as I was with Wheat.
        Almost.

Roger, OHIO

• Neicee says:

Trina, I read that article too and tried my best to find out who funded it. I couldn’t find any reference on the university website where it was studied. Odd? Would love it if someone can track it down.

• Neicee says:

Trina, thanks for pointing out Zoe’s column on the screaming headlines of egg yolks killing us ;) I also went over to Mark’s Daily Apple and he’s got one up too, not as technical and with a whole lot of tongue in cheek. Both worth the time. Hmmm, both Pfizer and Merck have funded the authors and studies before (statins anyone)? Not one person in the media mentioned that little tidbit.

• Trina says:

I noticed today that Dr. Jay Worton commented on Dr. Eenfeldt’s blog that the scientists who conducted the “study” are “vegan evangelists” too. That would explain a lot :)

9. gloria says:

Have been wheat – free for one month and have lost 8 lbs. – 15 more to go – but the best thing, though, is my blood sugar is now down to 5.3 from 6.8. My only concern is constipation – any advice?

Yes: More than likely, you are struggling with the conversion of bowel flora from that of a wheat-eater to a non-wheat eater.

If find that the conversion can be accelerated with a high-potency probiotic, e.g., 50 billion CFUs per day or more, taken for at least 4 weeks.

10. Allison says:

Perfect timing for this post. I’m finished Day 2 of cutting out all grain. I’ve kept eating chocolate, can’t go cold turkey on sugar. It may be wishful thinking but I feel my pants are looser already, especially the waist band and also around the thighs. I’m on vacation so will need to measure tomorrow.

I’m somewhat struggling with cravings. It’s more habitual, walking past the bread aisle. I picked up some liquid magnesium with vitamin D, have upped the salt and water intake.

I was recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids. I have endometriosis and this is the third bout. Surgery again seems ridiculous. I’m grateful it’s an opinion but when I asked my doctor if I could change my diet, he said it made no difference. I have a follow up ultrasound in 5 weeks and am curious to see if there will be any change. Today had intense menstrual cramping. Would love to get a hold of this condition.

• Neicee says:

Allison, I had endometriosis from the time I was a teenager. By age 26 I had to undergo a total hysterectomy, they found cancer. Luckily I’d had my daughter by then. She now has endometriosis as well. She has given up wheat and all grains and is suffering way less than before. What does it cost to cut them out of your diet? Not a thing, and you’ll know for sure then…..you feel better.

• Erika says:

Damn. That’s incredibly hard. I’m 27, diagnosed with endometriosis at 25, and suffered for a year and a half after surgery before eliminating wheat when I had suspicions. I went from experiencing excrutiating pain — to the point where I couldn’t stand up for more than 2 minutes — on the first day of my cycle every month, for 18 months, to NONE aside from regular cramps. I have no reason to eat wheat ever again. Other grains like spelt don’t cause a problem. So I’m grateful that Dr Davis’s book inspired my dad and in turn inspired me to give it a shot.

That’s terrific, Erika!

Please feel free to elaborate on your story–how long, what symptoms, what doctors prescribed or what procedures, etc. I would love to tell your story for others to hear, as the issue of endometriosis does not get enough attention, certainly not from the wheat-free viewpoint!

• Helen says:

One of the strangely unanticipated “side effects” of going wheat-free, for me, was the end of PMS. It was bad and now it’s non-existent. So there’s hope. : ) Come back & let us know what happens.

11. Roger says:

Moderation?

Tell a long term addict that is clean of plant-based substance abuse (opium, co-co etc.)–all will be well, just abuse in moderation, and they will laugh at you, and think you an ignoramous. They will think you so, not because of their back ground in addiction science and treatment–and hard won clinical experience. They, that are long-term clean, knows that a non-practicing addict must stay away from addicting substances, to be long-term sucessful! Take the same Addict, give them formal training at the Masters and Doctoral level, and they will tell you the same thing, not just because they are former Addicts–and now, educated, they will tell you they are non-practicing Addicts, and total abstinence from addictive substances, or taking a drug to block the high-effect, is the only way

Human Rat Poision (man-altered Wheat), In Moderation, will still kill!.

One can stop wheat consumption, one’s body and mind may recover and heal, but the Addicted Brain is still there!

When people associate man-altered Wheat, in the same paragraph as the Co-Co Plant (Cocaine), Opium Plant (Herione, Morphine etc.) the better off all of will be. Add the now, politically correct (and well deserved) villificatoin of the Tabacco Plant–and one has a well rounded hatred of much that is evil, and much that will devestate the Human Condition!

I had wihdrawls from this Wheat-Crap, and I had to use my knowledge of Addiction Studies, and hard won actual and clinical experienes, to keep clean of this brain and body addictive MAN MADE HUMAN RAT POISION.

Thanks to Dr. Davis, a Medical Dr., the blinders are off my eyes, and I can make an informed decsion, not to comsume. It is not because Dr. Davis is an Addiction Counselor, with a Ph.D.–or a former long-term Addict, with a wealth of street-widom–He, him self has issues with man-alterd Wheat, and has the clinical and research back-ground, to inform.

I see a bag of Man-Altered Wheat, as no different than a bag of Pot, Cocaine, Opium etc. Until this is the norm–and an infomed people force their collective voices at the powers that be, (elected and non-elected) for change, all that consume Wheat, are not only Addicts, but, more dangerous, Addicts in DENIAL! Denial or not, all that cosume, from the Powerful to Powrless, from the Rich to the Poor, from the Educated to the non-educated–ALL WILL BE VICTIMS OF NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES.

As Dr. Davis said, in a fomer post, that he will not engauge in political discourse, save this, “Wheat will kill anyone, Republican or Democrat.”

Roger, OHIO

12. JIllOz says:

Anne,
    one of the things that got me off wheat is that I had something forward to look forward to when getting healthier.
    If that doesn’t do it – and why should it? – Google the phrase “detox from sugar” and “detox from wheat”.

a naturopath wrote a useful little book about Detoxing from various substances (sorry don’t remember the title). Aside from all the useful vitamins dr d has supplied above, some of the detox suggestions she made were to have soups with vegetables which help to detox from sugar. (I don’t recall them all).

When I first started – and do expect to relapse, i fed myself scrambled eggs with mushrooms, double plates of mushrooms with oil and salt as a great bread substitute. The scrambled eggs on other occasions were laso accompanied by goats’ cheese- mmmmmmmmmm – , more mushrooms, sometimes tomato.

If you cna last a day or two wqithout wheat, don’t just sit at home and watch the clock. Go to gourmet restaurants for breakfast, lunch, side dishes (all the cheapo meal options you notice!) and start your wehat free life in new gourmet and culinarily interesting surroundings.

Beef stock is one of the simplest meals to make at home. Put in some chunks of beef, onion and cheese and you’ll be full. Even if you eat wheat again, just get back on the Real Food after your binge. You’ll be bingeing less and less and over the next few months to a year you might surprise yourslef.

i think you’re expecting too much too quickly. Just start the new foods and habits, and let yourself observe the effects of your relapses and maybe the time lags between the different ones.
    I got off wheat first with some relapses, but sugar was still a problem.
    Now I’m working on the sugar problem by takinjg some probiotics and I hbope that will change my tummy environment so I won’t want it so much. Then I’ll take the next step.

Divide up what you need to do into steps and a plan. It won’t go perfectly, but if you keep at it, you will make progress even if it is slow.
    And for heaven’s sake don’t let anyone pressure you!! That will just add stress!!!

13. JIllOz says:

Apologise for Typos and for not capitalising Dr D’s name above!!!

14. Dee says:

I have about 20lbs to lose and just now off prednisone (finally, was on it for 10days). My issue isn’t wheat addiction, it’s sugar addiction!!!! Any suggestions on getting off sugar because I’m not experiencing the appetite suppression you speak of and I’m sure it’s because of the sugar. I’d like to even cut out sugar/wheat and just have the odd potatoe and see how much I lose?? I can’t eat eggs without bread either so that poses a problem. But the sugar thing is truly my drug!!!!! I so want my appetite to be gone!!!!!!!! Help!!!!

Eat more fat, Dee.

Eat more eggs and shake off the “need” to have them with bread. Or make one of the breads in the recipes and have 5 pieces of it (or whatever quantity you like, since we do not limit portion sizes). Use more olive and coconut oil. Use more coconut–shredded, flaked, flour, oil– in your cooking and baking.

People with your issue have been telling me that they have success with sublingual glutamine (500 mg?) and that it shuts off the sugar cravings.

If you try it, please come back and tell us what you experienced.

15. Kathryn says:

Dr Davis,
    I’m a 61 year old woman and I have a whole host of problems, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, irritable bowl, daily heartburn, arthritis, overweight, asthma, allergies to sulfa drugs and to anti-inflammatory medications, tired all the time, headaches [sometimes migraine headaches as well], frequent urinary tract infections, calcium build up in my tissues and I suspect that I might have early stages of celiac disease because I had extreme abdominal pain for a week and ended up in emergency with what I thought was a gall bladder attack [they couldn't find anything in the tests they ran]. So I decided as of today to give up wheat and gluten and see if it makes a difference.

I have a follow up appointment with my family doctor next month and will keep a diary of what I eat and if what I eat has an effect on my body. My doctor is an advocate of healthy eating and I know she will support me trying to eat in such a way that will improve my health. I also am going to see a nutritionist who gives classes at the local grocery store on what things are available there for people with celiac disease that are wheat and gluten free and best of all her classes are free of charge!

So I feel like I’m not going at this alone and that I have a support system in place here at home and on this site. I’ll let you know how the symptoms of my wheat addiction play out in the weeks to come.
    Kathryn

Please do, Kathryn.

From the sounds of it, you are likely to have a complete turnaround in health by doing so. And don’t let anybody tell you to eat gluten-free foods made with junk carbohydrate ingredients!

• Kathryn says:

Day 2 and so far so good, no cravings so far. At one time I was close to 200 pounds and being just short of 5′ 2″ that’s a lot of weight to carry around. I managed to get my weight down to 151 a year ago but it has started to creep back up with my wheat addiction. I’m back up to 168-170 and it has plateaued there [thankfully I didn't put it all back on]. I still have my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol under control with medication but hope to be able to do it with diet alone. Oh and I need to take B 50′s because I’m low in B vitamins in my system. I’m expecting great things from my change in eating. Funny thing is that if I set my mind to it the weight comes off so easily but I have been having a hard time with will power but if these two days are any indication I don’t think I’ll have that problem any more. Thank you Dr. Davis, you can change the world one person at a time.

Hi, Kathryn–

Yes, unless you eliminate this demon of appetite called wheat, you will have to battle hunger and cravings.

Get rid of this demon, and the weight falls off without hunger or cravings. It really can be that simple!

• Kathryn says:

Day 4, down 2.5 pounds, blood sugars excellent, no cravings to speak of which I think is a big part due to the fact that I prepared ahead of time before I started and made for sure that I had the good foods on hand. I’m easily tired though and even though my blood sugars are normalized I feel like they are low and I’m getting low blood sugar symptoms. The reason for that, I think, is because lately my blood sugars have been higher and now that they are normal my body isn’t used to that but hopefully that will sort itself out. I’m surprised at how easy the transition was. Oh yeah, and the abdominal pain is pretty well gone although I did get indigestion a few times but I think that was because of eating an omelet. For some reason if I have eggs with mushrooms and onions it gives me heartburn, I’m not sure what it is in the combination that does it.. maybe I should try it different ways with different combinations. Hopefully it’s not the eggs.

• Kathryn says:

My first week under my belt. I’m still trying to feel my way around this wheat free way of being. Haven’t had any wheat this week. Have no cravings to speak of. Haven’t really lost any more weight but I “feel” lighter. My mind is more clear and my energy is up. When I got groceries the other day I decided to get butter instead of margarine.. oh how I missed butter.. :) I thought that real food is better for you than that other processed crap and since I eat so much less bread [the wheat free kind of course] that I really can afford to have butter. Also, fresh steamed veggies from the garden taste like heaven with a little real butter. So this process has been more stress and pain free than I had expected.

16. Deb says:

I am hoping for some support and guidance. I read Wheat Belly cover and started 10 days ago. Unlike many of these folks, I have not had withdrawal, do not crave bread, bagels…even my favorite…Pasta. But after 10 days without even a bread crumb, I have lost no weight, maybe even gained. I have not eaten gluten free crackers, pretzels…etc. I do eat fruit…maybe 3 servings a day. I do have a glass of wine, not every day. I don’t feel hungry and I feel less puffy..but really had a low moment on the scale today. Can someone please give me some advice? I do not have any reason to quit this, except that I have not lost an ounce.

• Neicee says:

Are you still consuming potatoes/rice/corn products? My wheat/grain sensitivity ‘expert’ said I could eat them. That was a long time ago, and during that time my weight would fluctuate a couple of pounds here and there – but, no real loss. Since the gluten intolerance kept my weight low anyway (bloated tummy resulting in horrible cramping and then finding the nearest ladies room) I never thought about it much. Ok, so an occasional dinner out or at friends provided some discomfort. But, the pound here or there didn’t matter. I wanted to know why? Then found ‘Wheat Belly’ and the realization that it’s probably all of the above and I’d best do something. Cutting all apparent sugars out from Jan 1 to June 1 helped. On June 1 I bought my first container of stevia, and only use it occasionally. So many little things to looks for and consider.

• Deb says:

No, I have not had rice or potato, have had an ear of corn on the cob. But certainly no corn chips or anything like that. Really, fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken, restricted dairy ( yogurt and cheese). I wondered about some supplements I take…but honestly, if the amount of gluten in them is causing this, I am seriously concerned about this diet as a way of life for me. I am not hungry, have no cravings, nothing at all…but have not dropped an ounce. I bought a probiotic today as I read some of the posts and that was mentioned. I appreciate you answering me.

17. anthonydellarosa@gmail.com says:

I recently read your boom Dr. Davis and am trying to get started. I have cut out wheat from my diet using flax seed meal and coconut flour using recipes found on this website. The only problem I am having thus far is my morning coffee, because it needs SUGAR. that’s right I said it sugar. I realize I am going to have to fix that but maybe this is why I have no withdrawal effects. In addition I went to a BBQ yesterday where there was tons of wheat including my favorite … PIZZA luckily I managed to not have a single bite. I hope I am on the right path. I am glad I found a good waffle recipe made with flax seed meal instead of flour

18. Lisa says:

Hi Doctor Davis.
    The great incidence of obesity we see in the US does not seem as prevalent in certain European countries, such as France and Italy, which are notable for their bread, pastries and pasta. Is this because they consume fewer processed foods and also perhaps less sugar? However, is it the case that diabetes, and the other illnesses that seem to follow with the consumption of wheat as prevalent in these countries–or for that matter elsewhere, since this new wheat seems to be grown everywhere? And if not, why not?:

Also, as regards obesity and diabetes, it would seem that along with the consumption of wheat, a great factor must be the great consumption of sugar, and above all of HFCS, as Dr. Lustig has shown. Hard to separate the two influences.

The question of why other countries appear (and it may be just appear) to have less obesity is likely in line with your summary, and Dr. Peter Attia agrees, at:
      My current view of this frequently asked question:
      1. Europeans and Asians consume less sugar, and especially less HFCS.
      2. They consume less carbs generally (lower glycemic load), and this obviously implies less wheat.
      3. They consume more fat than North Americans (who are wallowing in a suicidal low fat mania).
      4. The wheat may be processed differently (esp. aging) which reduces the toxicity slightly.
      5. The wheat planted may be slightly different strains, but this is probably a marginal effect.

An unknown factor is whether wheat is used as a ubiquitous filler in prepared foods, lotions and potions outside North America. Ditto for sugar, which contaminates much on the shelf here.

19. Roxie says:

Hi
    I have been 98% wheat free for the last 3 weeks. I have only 1-2 slices of rye/wheat sourdough per night, sometimes zero. It’s getting easier to have zero. I DO HOWEVER eat rice. I eat in an asian-style manner: rice, vegetables, a little meat. I cook in butter and I always add a little butter to my rice or rice cakes. I eat lots of fruit too. I eat a little nuts, and a handful of lentils or chickpeas. I’m mainly vegetarian in the day, but in the evening I have a small handful of chicken or meat or an egg and ALWAYS with vegetables. I have lost only 3 kg but my waist circumference has dropped from 87 to 83 cm and it’s still going down ( this morning it was a few mil less). I have absolutely no hunger now … and I’ve been worried that my loss of hunger is because of something else, but I think it’s because I’ve just dropped the wheat. You’ll get there.

20. krystal says:

So I made up in my mind to lose weight again…I would always go to the gym and lose some weight but will still have my stomach. Since I’m going to the Caribbean in Jan for 2 weeks I was killing myself in the gym but would still be eating whole wheat and farina…until I visited my friend who was watching Dr oz while Dr Davis was on there talking about the bad effects on wheat…so I decided to try it.

This is like day 4 without bread…but I had oatmeal couple nights ago until I read that all grains are no good so I stopped so in all this is day 2 without grains and its horrible. I’m craving it like crazy…I dreamt about cake last night and in the dream I even ate some but spat it out in the dream…dreamt about bread and I’m soooo sleepy all the time. I really hope it works for me…I will keep you guys updated