Woes of a wheat-saturated diet

Each of us has a unique story to tell, having suffered at the hands of this thing being sold to us called “wheat” for a lifetime. We also fight this battle in our own way, each a fascinating and compelling story of how profound and important wheatlessness can be, causing us to change course in food choice, views of diet, and notions of aging, weight, and health.

Here are a couple of fascinating comments recently posted on the Amazon page for Wheat Belly.

Reader L. Romme left this comment:

I stumbled upon this book when I was searching for something to get for my new E-reader and it has literally changed my life. Dr. Davis does an exceptional job of presenting the case against the altered substance that modern wheat has become. The varied and complex interactions that modern wheat has with our bodies can be hard to grasp in their entirety. As a Registered Nurse, I enjoyed the scientific explanations, but the book was not so technical as to be something that people with no medical background would have a problem with.

Although I have never been considered to be overweight, I did have a stubborn accumulation of fat around my middle and as I got further into the book I recognized that other problems I have (acid reflux, irritable bowel, thyroid problems) are very likely to be the result of a wheat saturated diet. I immediately cut out wheat in all forms and based on the positive and almost immediate results my family has experienced, I will never go back to wheat again. I have lost 4 inches around my waist, the acid reflux and irritable bowel are gone and I feel better than I have in years.

My husband who had been fighting a losing battle with obesity, has dropped 2 pants sizes and is losing about a pound a week. My son who is in his mid-thirties has also lost weight and inches and is now able to again fit into clothes he wore in high school. I mentioned this book to a co-worker, who has had similar positive results in the areas of weight, skin problems and intestinal discomfort.

I recently read that veterinarians are now seeing an increase in the number of overweight pets (fat pet birds are now referred to as “perch potatoes”). I checked the package of “premium” bird seed I have been buying for my birds and, sure enough, it has both “wheat” and “ground wheat” listed in the ingredients. Perhaps their little bodies don’t do any better digesting this altered wheat than humans do.

I think it is tragic (read “criminal”) that the harder we have tried to eat a more healthy diet (i.e. whole grains as recommended by the so-called “experts”), the more unhealthy we have become. Since a wealth of research has apparently existed for some time on this issue, I have to conclude that there has been a deliberate effort to hide the truth on the part of the government and powerful forces representing the multitude of people who benefit from our population consuming wheat and getting sick doing it.

Reader Ellie D said:

I heard about the book Wheat Belly from a friend three weeks ago when I was complaining about my stomach and how big and bloated I felt. She said, “Read Wheat Belly.” I noted she never eats bread, pizza, cookies, cake, all the things I do at least 3 times a week.

I exercise every day and eat healthy–you could really say “wheat-free” except for the three times a week when I eat bread, pizza, subs. I don’t overeat, but do eat these things.

Well, last week I had been trying really hard, exercising longer, and still could not even notice a change in my stomach area. I have lost weight on my legs, arms, face but cannot budge my stomach.

So I gave in and bought the book. The following day after reading the entire book I began my “wheat-free program.” After just 2 days, I want to honestly say that I did not feel that heavy bloating feeling like I was stuffed into my pants. It has been a little more than a week and for me the most wonderful feeling is a lighter feeling in my stomach: The heaviness is gone.

It is too soon for any weight loss, but I will say this: After four days on this wheat-free program, I was feeling very light around my stomach and I thought, “Well, for today I can cheat and just have one biscotti with my coffee.” HOW WRONG I WAS. Just that one biscotti and I felt like I had cement in my stomach. Never again.

I never realized what wheat can do to you. Back on track I went. I will update this when I begin to lose weight. I am so glad I READ THE BOOK. It is hard to believe but true what wheat can do to your body.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Woes of a wheat-saturated diet

1. Signe Verrill says:

I would welcome any and all comments on my particular issue — I’ve been wheat free (very diligent about it – never cheated) for 7 weeks now and I have not lost one single pound! I HAVE lost the pain in my neck, shoulders and arms that had plagued me for years! NO MORE acid reflux (gave up dairy about 2 years ago and that helped too) My bloated feeling is gone, but my waist measurement remains the same. I estimate that I am about 35 pounds overweight and have never been very good about “dieting” in the traditional sense. So when I read “Wheat Belly”, I resonated with the whole “lifestyle” aspect of it, rather than a diet. I am totally on board with the movement, but am getting discouraged with no weight loss.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas????

Always, always consider thyroid issues, Signe.

First, be sure that iodine intake is sufficient, e.g., 500 mcg per day from an iodine supplement. Second, get your thyroid status evaluated that includes assessment of free T3, free T4, and TSH, perhaps reverse T3. This will likely require someone knowledgeable about thyroid, e.g., a functional medicine doc or naturopath. Whatever you do, do not consult an endocrinologist unless you want to waste a lot of time and money and be told you need to “lose weight and take an antidepressant.” No kidding.

• Signe Verrill says:

Thanks for the comment… I’ve suspected my thyroid before but have never really known how/who to go to for help. I will try a supplement and see if that helps.

• Read says:

Signe, may I suggest you start an honest food diary, write down every little thing you ingest. You’ll see for yourself, or ask someone to look at it. My tum has really flattened and I’ve lost weight since reading Wheat Belly, but a little plateau now. I’m eating heaps, lots of vege and good foods. Not counting calories as my weight is stable and definitely not increasing, but I want to lose more. So in my diet I’ll be looking at the dairy first and stopping cream and reducing cheese, then the amount of nuts and oils I’m consuming, as I tend to overeat. I laid into the dairy, tho I wasn’t eating as much before eliminating wheat. I did that as I thought I’d be tempted to sneak some wheat here and there. But as others say, you feel so bad/heavy/bloated when you cheat that I’m done with wheat for all time and wish that for everyone. Strangely after eating raw salad and vegetables for lunch is when I feel best, light and uplifted. It’s so easy to notice food effects now that I’m wheat free. Good luck.

• WILL Barber says:

The same thing happened to me and my wife. You sort of reach a plateau.
      This is what we did.
      I started counting carbs and reducing the amount of food I eat.
      I now eat very few carbs every day. Best I ever felt.
      I am a runner every morning and I have found my energy level is ACTUALLY BETTER.
      Both my wife and I CONTINUE TO LOSE WEIGHT.

2. Lisa Thompson says:

Dr Davis, Hi, please help ! I have RA and feel like I’m dying half the time . I feel like I have been hit by a mack truck . They put me on prednisone and methatrexate and i’m still in pain. Do you think eliminating wheat will cure my RA? Thanks, Lisa

Good news, Lisa: Yes, very likely!

Bad news: Chronic autoimmune inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis require 6 months, 12 months, or longer to respond, unlike, say, acid reflux, that can respond in 3 days.

I don’t know the precise reason why RA and other autoimmune joint conditions respond so slowly. But note that there are no costs, side-effects, or other dangerous consequences. Only better overall health!

3. Nancy Russell says:

I take .150 of Levothyroxine. I am also allergic to iodine. Are there any other alternatives? My Dr
    does only one standard TSH test. What is the purpose of the others?

Hi, Nancy–

Please see the past posts on this issue. Alternatively, take a look at Janie Bowthorpe’s excellent blog, Stop the Thyroid Madness.

4. Meg says:

Might one of the woes of a wheat-saturated diet be that it contributes to diverticulitis? My dad’s just be hospitalized for this and I’ve been wondering if I can assert a change like this to the family — but I’m sure I’ll need more back-up than to wave your book at them and start talking about the benefits of low-carb for intestinal health. I found one mention of diverticulitis in your success stories but it was mentioned only as an aside. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

No, Meg.

It requires decades to create diverticuli in the colon. A few weeks or months does not cause diverticular disease.

5. Read says:

Hi Nancy, if you have Kindle or free Kindle App, download eBook very cheaply All About Thyroid Disease from amazon.com, it’ll explain T3 and T4. I’m going, first time, this week to consult MD/Naturopath regarding taking kelp to stimulate iodine as I have enlarged thyroid but don’t want to consult doctor have it removed and be dependant on throid meds. Everything is better since I read Wheat Belly – fantastic book – including throid, I don’t feel (bloated or) choked by thyroid, it seems smaller. I read in the eBook that my estrogen HRT would interfere with iodine production so I have reduced that. I am so grateful to Dr Davis, evangelising about Wheat Belly whenever I get the opportunity as I work in hospitals. One more comment, the guy in local health foodstore warned me against iodine toxicity from excessive intake, but he’s not a doctor, tho I’m cautious.