Wheat can kill worms

Alright, alright: I hate to do it. But occasionally I have to admit that wheat can have its good side, truly beneficial effects. There aren’t many, but there are a few. Since the Wheat Lobby refuses to see that there are two sides to every argument, surely we can be better!

Besides containing fiber and B vitamins like folate (if fortified), wheat also serves as a very nice cat litter. But there’s another useful effect of wheat: It inhibits the reproduction of intestinal worms.

Recall that there is something in wheat called wheat germ agglutinin, a protein of the lectin class that causes direct intestinal damage to mammals or rodents who consume it, oddly disables the normal intestinal barriers to foreign substances and thereby allowing the byproducts of bacteria, for instance, to enter the bloodstream, and is toxic to some agricultural pests. The last reason explains why, for instance, the gene for wheat germ agglutinin has been engineered into some strains of corn to fight off invading pests, such as the European corn borer.

Add yet another item to the proud list of health benefits of wheat. Nematode larvae, such as that of Trichostrongylus colubriformis shown in the diagram (courtesy Centers for Disease Control), eat less worm food in the presence of wheat germ agglutinin. One such study can be found here. Wheat-consuming sheep, cows, or humans who harbor such nematode infestations in the intestinal tract thereby enjoy lower potential for rapidly growing worms to impact health when the poison wheat germ agglutinin is in the vicinity.

So wheat can have benefits to humans, after all! If you choose to have that nice poppy seed bagel or cinnamon bun, for instance, rest assured that the nematodes that might be happily dwelling somewhere north of your appendix will not be enjoying dinner tonight.

This entry was posted in Lectins. Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Wheat can kill worms

1. wrotek says:

what about Body of Christ, wafer ? allowed?

2. Kirk says:

Bill O’Reilly just showed your book and talked about it.

• wrotek says:

Can You give link to ore illy showing Wheat Belly ?

• wrotek says:

But what if O’Reilly by eliminating wheat. eliminated product that contained wheat but had other toxic ingredient in it, that was causing him distress ? How can we be sure it really was wheat ?

• Gigi says:

I know it’s wheat that caused my problems for sure. If ate ANY product that contained wheat, I got really sick wth abdominal pain, cramps and frequent bathroom trips. Even something simple like macaroni salad or any pasta made from wheat. Sausage, ugh.

I quite wheat a week ago now…and have had NO problems with any of that…I can honestly say, I feel 99% better…the other 1% is just my age. :)

Today, I baked a gluten free banana nut bread…it was heavenly, my 1st bread product in a week…but NO WHEAT.

3. Tina M. says:

Bill O’Reilly just had your book on his TIP of the day. Now, he needs you on the show. Congrats on getting the word out. I now have two family members that just got diagnosed with Diebetes. They NOW will read the book. It is amazing how it took them that diagnosis to finally listen to what I have been saying. Both have seen dramatic results in blood sugar and energy within the first week. Thank you for all your hard work and putting the information in a book that anyone can understand. You have saved several lives. THANK YOU!!!

4. Roma says:

Kudos to you & now Bill O’Reilly for doing what is right & getting the dirty wheat word out! So many lives are being turned around with you leading the way. We are doing our part in our corner of the world to get people on the right path. You cannot be thanked enough!

• Amanda says:

Bill O’ Reilly cares more about peoples health than my dear Dr. Oz, what a shame!

Thanks, Roma!

Yes, this is about doing what is right, not echoing the corrupt message that makes food advertisers happy.

5. Viral says:

Though I agree with dr Davis’s theories, being a vegetarian and adopting a completely wheat free diet is suicidal !
    I was raised in a primary vegetarian Indian culture and have never come across any of the fancy gluten related diseases amongst Indians. Perhaps our hardcore spices are melting the hardest of gluten related illnesses !
    Besides, try converting an entire vegetarian ecologically sound Indian populace into western meat eating carnivores is laughable and could potentially spell disaster for the environment, thanks to factory farming of meat animals.
    Perhaps,dr Davis should have dedicated some thought on environmental impact of a meat based diet.
    Best regards
    Viral.

Viral–

The checks and balances of wheat elimination conducted on a broad scale have not been sorted out.

You and your fellow inhabitants of India, I fear, are the means to an end: cheap, commodity foods to feed the world, while Big Agribusiness reaps the profits.

• Jeanne says:

I would respectfully disagree.
      Not sure what part of India you are in, but the northern part is known as the celiac belt! Quite a high number of the populatin has celiac and cannot eat wheat, rye, barley or contaminated oats.

6. wrotek says:

I am really starting to have sympathy for Mr O’reilly :) I always found Him to be controversial and sometimes intolerant, but now i think he just fights for what he believes.

7. Adam says:

Viral, why is it suicidal to adopt a completely wheat free diet if one is a vegetarian? I am not a strict vegetarian but it has been a few months since I last ate meat, and I seem to be doing fine. If you are wondering, I eat raw nuts (no peanuts, though) including walnuts for omega-3 (hope that is healthy!), a variety of vegetables in generous quantities, cheese and kefir (also in generous quantities), fruit, hard-boiled eggs, rice and beans, and some extra-virgin olive oil.

I agree with you about the environmental impact of a meat-based diet, but I suspect if there is an attempt to get Indians to eat more like Westerners, it is coming from corporations.

I do not know if I had any gluten diseases, but I feel better without wheat. Also, for what it is worth, it seems plausible, at least to me, that some spices such as turmeric mixed with black pepper might reduce some of the problems associated with eating wheat.

8. Dianne says:

I have been wheat free for about three weeks. My daughter is getting married this weekend. I look better in my dress than I did when I bought it, I am pleased to report. But what happens if I have a piece of wedding cake? I do not suspect I will feel ill from eating a wheat product but will it have serious consequences for my weight loss/bring back the bloating? Assuming eating wheat would not make me feel ill, is the occasional indulgence okay? I am the only one in the family who has eliminated wheat.