Wheat Belly on Live! With Kelly

Kelly Ripa tasted my Rosemary Focaccia bread on the July 30th episode of Live! With Kelly. To view, click here.

We discussed how wheat contains an appetite stimulant (gliadin) that causes us to eat, on average, 440 more calories per day, every day. (440 calories per day x 365 days per year = 45.8 pounds gained per year. Yeah, that’s a lot.)

This phenomenon explains why Americans are incessantly hungry, seeking food every 2 hours (thus the inane and destructive advice from dietitians to “eat many small meals every 2 hours” throughout the day), obese, and diabetic.

We are the unwitting, obedient victims of the manipulations of Big Food, eating more and more, buying more and more, then blaming ourselves for our lack of restraint. In the conventional way of thinking, you are overweight and unhealthy . . and it’s your fault!

But it’s NOT your fault. It is the fault of a system eager to profit from your misfortune.

And thank you, Kelly, for helping me spread the word!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Wheat Belly on Live! With Kelly

1. Mama Kass says:

I am so excited for you Dr.Davis. Kelly’s show is certainly a great venue for the Wheat Belly message.You pour your heart into your work and are wiling to answer even the most pedestrian questions from your fans. A question….. How does your better half feel about the time that you spend writing your blog after you see
    patients all day?

Hi, Mama–

Thanks for noticing!

My wife understands that this is not about a book; this is a powerful movement that is contributing to a shift in the way people eat, one that is transforming lives.

So she cuts me some slack.

2. katie says:

What type of flour would you suggest using if you are allergic to nuts and can’t use almond flour? My tree nut allergic children were diagnosed with Celiac disease several months ago and we have been using rice and tapioca flour.

Both of those, the rice and tapioca flour, will create visceral belly fat, increase insulin resistance, increase blood sugar, cause hypertension, cataracts, and arthritis. They are awful and the gluten-free industry should be held to task for selling such crap.

Coconut flour is one choice. You can grind your own seed flours from sunflower, pumpkin, and sesame seeds. Garbanzo bean flour is a bit higher in carbs, but useful to lightening the others.

3. Trina says:

Read the same article from CTV – so incomplete. Can’t believe they didn’t reference Dr. Davis’ book – shame. There is very little “real” journalism these days.

So many of these pieces are really written and/or paid for by the wheat lobby.

There was no unique insight in the article, nor new information. It just rehashed conventional thinking. That is the stamp of the wheat lobby.

4. Yak says:

Hello Dr Davis. Congrats on the Kelly show. Hopefully more people wake up to the ill effects of wheat. I do have one question though. I know that beer is off limits unless it is gluten free but as someone who doesn’t have celliac disease how would it affect me after being wheat free for 2+months. I am 23 and my co workers want to go to happy hour every so often. I have lost about 40 pounds over the 2.5 month period(drinking rum occasionally). Do you think that it would halt my progress and bring back cravings and some of my other wheat related problems by drinking a few beers?

Yes, it can, Yak.

Beer does contain gliadin residues responsible for triggering appetite.

Because you are not gluten-sensitive, your safest bet when choices are limited is Bud Lite, which is made with rice, does not trigger appetite, and provides only a modest carb exposure of 6.6 grams per 12 ounce bottle.

5. Holly Scroggin says:

congrats on the wider exposure but I think you were robber; your segment seems to have been too rushed; didn’t ever get to the cookies. THANKS much for the recipes and I am looking forward to your cook book. everything I’ve made of yours is fantastic! have you tried to make crackers out of your focaccia dough? that is one great focaccia, I slice it and toast it for GF breakfast toast. YUM!

Yes, a bit rushed. But I remain grateful for the chance to more widely disseminate this message that has struggled against what I believe to be advertiser resistance.

No, I haven’t tried to make the crackers out of the dough. But great ideas!

6. Peter says:

Hi Dr.
    I am 270 pound male who has a 42 inch waist. Realistically, by cutting out wheat, and nothing else,
    a) how many inches should come off my belly i) per week, ii) per month?
    b) could i expect male breasts to shrink/remove within a certain time period?

Peter–

1) Lots. Typically, a guy your size experiences at least 30 pounds over 6 months, 3 inches off the waist. Problem: Eliminating wheat is a HUGE step. But what is you drink a 6-pack of beer every night, lots of corn chips, and jelly beans? Then it will impair your weight loss and health experience. This is why I also talk about limiting carbohydrates, since they are problem #2 after wheat.

2) Yes, and it will generally parallel loss of belly fat.

7. Susan says:

Dear Doctor Davis,
    How does white wine effect his process?
    Thank you for your book and your help.

8. Mersiha says:

Hi Doctor,

Is buckwheat flour a healthy alternative to use for regular flour?

Thanks

Please read the most recent post on this blog, Mersiha, and you will find your answer.

Buckwheat is much more benign than wheat, but just a potential carbohydrate challenge.